Building a new gaming rig soon, have about $3500 saved up for this venture. Can someone give me an honest answer

Building a new gaming rig soon, have about $3500 saved up for this venture. Can someone give me an honest answer...

pic related or go with the i9?

Attached: 2017-08-10-product-3.jpg (620x349, 44K)

I should mention it will be the 2990X I would be getting if I go the Ryzen route

>gaming
>2990WX
If you want a Threadripper for gayming, the 2950X is better.

So go the Ryzen route period you're saying?
Are the i9's not worth it?

You don't really need a threadripper if it's mostly for gaming, a 2700x would be fine.

I guess I'm trying to future-proof myself a bit...I'd like something that will last at least 5 or 6 years, especially with the next gen VR headsets coming out

Is it just for gaming? 1080p or 1440p? If 1080p get the 9900K, for 1440p or higher the CPU isn't that limiting, if you go the TR route you'll be able to upgrade to TR 3. AM4 Ryzen 2700X is also an option

1440p monitor but also plan on getting the PiMax 8k headset, as well as the GTX 2080Ti

If all you're doing is gaming, buy a 9900k and liquid cool it. It's hard to actually spend $3500 on a pure gaming rig without wasting your money.

Take some of your $3500 budget and buy a high-end monitor with it, it'll improve your gaming experience more than two 2080 Tis or whatever.

Op here. Why won't anyone just answer. my. question?

Attached: It+feels+like+suddenly+this+is+the+only+ainsley+harriot+_717381917b3dd0bb7f5561935d2a79e3.png (351x239, 121K)

then go 9900k for stronger cores. lazy programmers like to make games that rely on cores vs entire CPUs

Not OP. I am OP. And my question was partially answered but still want to know how the i9 route is

threadripper cannot compete with the i9 for gaming.

Next time answer it in the correct thread
>>>/pcbg/

A Threadripper does not add value to a gaming build. The current general state of play is as follows:
>Ryzen
Great bang-for-buck gaming. Marginally behind Intel in absolute performance at 1440p or higher resolutions when paired with high-end GPU. Great performance in cored-dependent productivity workloads
>Intel
Best performance in almost all games - particularly for 1080p, high refresh scenarios - but the price is high and the value of those extra few frames is questionable for most people.

What might change in the near future:
>Ryzen
Zen 2 parts closing the gap or maybe overtaking Intel before mid-year. You'll be able to drop the new chips into currently available boards (though rumours say that new, >8 core parts will require next gen boards).
>Intel
Nothing

I'm a fan of AMD and think they are more deserving of your cash, as a company, than Intel are. If I had that money, I'd be waiting to see what Zen 2 brings. If I had to spend it now and was playing games where every frame counts, I'd go for the 9900k.

You aren't OP. I'm OP. And I'm getting angry about how people keep dodging the question.

go 9900k if you're building a PC for gaming and browsing the internet

go 2990x if you're building a PC for video editing, rendering, hosting a few VMs, etc

either one can do both, but both can do a specific task better

Yea so I do all of the above, this is going to be my primary desktop and I primarily do PC gaming but also work alot with Davinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere/After Effects. Money is really not an issue.

Do you think the i9 9900X series might be a better bet to handle everything?

YEs, yes, Intel good, AMD bad. Buy Intel pls

Get a dual socket lga3647 motherboard then

wait really or are you pulling my pecker

just go with higher clock speed there is no other answer to your question

That's the dumbest response I've heard yet. I'd like actual advice from people who have used both or one or the other

If you are actually buying a computer for gaming and not running 7 zip and handbrake all day like Jow Forums's loyal AMD dickriders claim to do then don't get threadripper. Either wait for the ryzen 3000 series to release or get some fuckoff hot intel beast like a real man.

dont blow $3500 on a "gaming rig"
threadripper isnt a gaming chip
get a 2600x/2700x if you must buy a chip right now;
wait for zen2 / ryzen 3000 series if you can tolerate waiting another 3 months or so (launch is speculated to be on or around july 7th) - and an EARLY engineering sample (unrefined) r5 3600 matched/beat an i9-9900k on stage live at CES in cinebench...both multithreaded and singlethreaded...so...AMD ipc and frequency has improved a lot.
frequency isn't everything, obviously....
threadripper "Game mode" isn't that bad but this is really more of an HEDT model
this but unironically; threadripper is incredible for productivity workloads and rendering, but not as good at "most" games because "most" games don't use more than 4, 6ish threads, some use 8, but most use 1 or 2 lmao...so....

stop replying to (((you)))rself

You don't need either.

If you're going to pretend you do real work and not just gaymen you should put your money where your mouth is and get an actual workstation.

"gaming rig"
>threariper
are you retarded?

>threadripper *

No, are you? Did Stevie Wonder teach you how to spell you fucknut?

If you aren t retarded then can you let me know why the fuck would you use an 1.6k threadripper cpu with a shity single core performace for gaming?
Get an 8700k or an 9900k faggot and buy a new monitor. If ya wanna be a baller and just trow money away get a skylake with more than 8 cores would still be better at gaming than Threadripper.
Also IF ya wanna play at 4k you could get away with an 2700X cause at that resolution you are mostly GPU bound the cpu is important but you won t notice more than than a 5 max fps increase at best.

>buy 2080ti
>waste it by buying a Ryzen

LMAO

>gaming
Get a ryzen, the threadrippers are complete overkill for gaming.

OP:Money doesn t matter!
>get a ryzen
lmaoing at your life my man, the single thing that ryzen does give us is perfromance/dollar if money aren t the problem intel is better

>comparing i9 to 3rd gen ryzen
You realize the 3000 series will slaughter Intel, right?

i9 is overkill for gaming (maybe 10 percent more performance than i7 if the game even supports multi threading)
i7-7900k is probably the best for gayming atm

All of this

Man I don t care if they do that or not, I was saying that amd rn now doesn t have anything on the market ain t worth getting if you have the money to buy intel
Also shall I remind you how many times amd dissapointed us?

>Also shall I remind you how many times amd dissapointed us?
Intel has a ~15% lead with a 25% clock advantage. 7nm is a 30-40% boost in IPC, meaning AMD can have lower clock speeds and still slaughter Intel.

Man that VII really showed me what a big leap the 7nm is .. . Now stop shilling for free, we shall wait and see.

Buying more memory as I'm starting to run dry. Already have 256 Gb SATA SSD and a 3Tb WB Black HDD
Planning on buying 1Tb or 500Gb EVO M.2 and 4 Tb WB Red HDD
How retarded of an idea is this?

Radeon =/= Ryzen
I expect AMD will continue to suck on the GPU side but they've done extremely well with CPUs.

> gaming
i9 9900K, right now it's the fastest gaming CPU.

Until summer.

For $3500, the i9 is the better choice.
However, the better choice overall is to take your budget down to $1500 and go for a 2600X/2070.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Girly Air Force - 08 [720p]_00:08:44_01.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

2600 + 1660ti is the only way to go.

Here's my advice. Wait till June when all the new shit gets released. That way you're not buying at the end of a generation. 2.5 months will be worth it.

lol

Attached: 1534204099106.png (1920x1080, 611K)

>Building a new gaming rig soon
If you need to but NOW then take the i9 - if it's a gaming rig than intel is still superior even if more expensive. However if you can wait a couple more months then wait and see what Zen 2 brings to the table.

>If you need to but NOW then take the i9
Kys, kike.

For now intel is best for gaming, although only theoretically. Since AMD is also good enough.

But since the last few years the only improvements are in the number of cores.

In five years a 16 core amd cpu will outperform an 8 core intel cpu on just about anything because single threaded performance will not matter that much anymore.

Also, rumor has it that new consoles will have zen cores. So expect games to be optimized for zen and heavy multithreading.

ThreadRipper is for productivity and small servers. If you want a rig that can play the latest OMG First Person FPS Shooter then get a 9900K and overclock it. Or you can wait for the next wave of Ryzen CPUs and see how well they overclock, but I suspect they will be bad overclockers.

Cherry picked. Most AAA games today are still maxing out a single thread and the rest of the threads are doing piddly shit.

Wait for 7nm
Why buy 2 years old silicone/arch when new stuff is literally coming out next month or two

>So go the Ryzen route period you're saying?
Yes.
Trippers are literally worse for gaming than Ryzen 7 lineup.

And if you spend money wisely 3500$ will include a 4k Monitor, and a comfy chair, not just the tower.

Gaming only?
Don't buy TR. If you want a no-holds barred fastest gaming CPU, the 9900K is it.
And get the best AIO watercooling you can find, because it gets hot.

i9 for max gaming FPS

you don't need that many cores

source: me, a ryzen 2700X owner

>you don't need that many cores
>you don't need X
>you don't more
>don't

user we are diving straight into in time calculations rather than precalcuations, that means more of everything will be a must

>Buying a threadripper for games
>Buying just before the new amds come out
>Ignoring good advice ( )
OP.. you're not very smart.

If you don't care about security, then Intel's the best choice.

By security I mean whether or not you want to give the whole world root access to your system or not.

>rig

Attached: deepwater horizon.jpg (1600x1200, 220K)

OOOAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*inhales deeply*BRRWGGHHWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH~!!!!!!!!11111

Attached: RPCS3JANUARY2019AMDZENDOMINATIONINTELDED.jpg (1548x816, 424K)

for example
if you wanted 240hz gaming like a sane person would
i9,even the 8700k is enough for it

Attached: 155194585845754r5.jpg (1314x1166, 408K)

TR1950x fag here

If you are buying it for the sole purpose of gaming you are wasting your money most games will not utilize all 32 cores. if you need 32 cores just buy a fucking server farm already.

I do mixed use, Photoshop and CAD and gaming with mine so it makes sense to have the extra horsepower.

if it's for gaming and you have a $3500 the i9 9900k is the obvious and only answer, you'd have to be a blatant shill to recommend AMD in this scenario

Spending $3500 right before Zen 2 launch is retarded.

>most games will not utilize all 32 cores

--> .

You didn't disprove anything

no it isn't new shit comes out every few months in tech you'd be waiting forever to buy anything with that logic

You can't be this dumb as to deliberately deny objective reality, can you?

yes, major new gen cpu launch is kinda special though

Wait and get ryzen 3000 tard

>threadripper
not great for gaming, but exceptional at everything else.
>i9
housefire. better at gaming if you're thinking of the 9900k. any x299 i9 is not worth the money.

if you're doing 4k (based on your budget) the CPU matters much less than the GPU, consider what other functionality you want out of your system.

either way wait until zen2 comes around, it will most likely be the best of all worlds

>spending 3500 on a gaymen PC
the memes write themselves

Attached: (You).gif (612x603, 10K)

ok so might as well wait for intel 10nm desktop in hoiiday 2019/early 2020 after that