/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1550146796076.png (1522x869, 813K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/jBMmMZ
wpd.app/
amazon.com/Philips-328E9FJAB-Frameless-FreeSync-DisplayPort/dp/B07KQXM8X6
amazon.com/dp/B078P57ZWL
amazon.com/dp/B00N2L5CXO/?tag=pcpapi-20
pcpartpicker.com/product/mNBrxr/aoc-ag271qx-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-ag271qx
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>thingken of buying 1660, maybe I'll spend the extra few bux to get the better 1660 Ti
>thingken of buying the 1660 Ti, maybe I'll spend the extra few bux to get the better 2060
Sasuga Nvidia.

WHAT PROCESSOR CAN I REPLACE MY I7 920 WITH THAT WILL BE A MASSIVE UPGRADE

BEFORE ANY MEMES I MEAN A PROCESSOR THAT CAN FIT INTO A 920 SOCKET

Yes

X5650-X5675 for 6c12t 95w. Just update BIOS to latest version or your board might not accept them.

Is MSI a trust-worthy company?

No and neither is (((gigabyte)))

None, upgrade your fucking platform

>trust-worthy company
oxymoron

Gigabyte is based. What the fuck are you talking about?

how to fan arrangement, positive or negative pressure?
how do you even calculate that? do you take air pressure mm h2o values of fans and +/- them based on the orientation they are? (blowing into case is + exhaust is -)

HELP

My local Microcenter has the following
>Ryzen R5-1600 - $80
>ASrock B450 ATX motherboard -$45 ($30 off when buying with compatible CPU)
>Sapphire RX590 Nitro (blue version) - $220 with 3 free games

So is this a good deal for $345? I already have a 75HZ Freesync monitor 1080p monitor. My current build is a Core2Duo in a shitty, slowly dying motherboard that I pulled out of a Dell Inspiron paired with a Radeon 5750.

Attached: 1552437759775.jpg (1920x1080, 213K)

>RX590
>$220
Shiet nigga. The 580 I'm looking at is worth more than that. Get it

I want too stick with windows 8.1 but AMD stopped driver support for it. I want to upgrade my R9 380 to something like a 580 but with no drivers am I forced to buy nvidia or bite the bullet upgrade to win 10?

Attached: akari_drinku.jpg (640x640, 60K)

its probably 220 in 3rd world money

>based
no
they lie about their speeds

Yea I figured it was a good deal. Is this build OK? All prices are based on local Microcenter prices. Oh and I found out since the store is located on the fringes of an urban area, it's only half the normal tax rate. The PSU and case are expensive but Microcenter price matches, so 99% chance I'll get nearly $20-$25 off each.

pcpartpicker.com/list/jBMmMZ

Windows 10. Final destination.

>3rd world
I'm in the US. The only country that matters.

Attached: 1552668260288.png (318x269, 113K)

This. That platform is ~10 years old.

Did you mean the bane of the entire world?

Yes. The only country in the world that matters whether you like us or not. Sorry to break it to you buttercup, but 99% chance your country's foreign policy is heavily centered around whether or not US will honor it's NATO agreement.

Pirate W10 LTSC like a smart individual.

Upgrading from X58 means UEFI cancer, no thanks.

then enjoy your outdated garbage plagued with security holes.

Indeed. Being the axis of all the problems in the world doesn't speak well of the US whether you like or not.

Should I get a MSI or Asus motherboard? MSI does have a high failure rate from what I hear and the hardware also is quite old but Asus is basically ripping you off and putting less and less features their boards.

Attached: 1548418852384.jpg (640x801, 51K)

Can't hear you over the sound of all my freedom. That and the EEEEE from shooting my guns so damned much.

Attached: 1493612821199.png (1000x967, 2.29M)

Asus. MSI is garbage imo and while you're right with Asus price gouging, they do it because they know they're the only brand that matters. ASrock isn't bad. But every single motherboard I've ever owned that wasn't Asus, I had issues with.

As long as you like your country strictly ironically.

If your case isn't a piece of shit and has decent intakes, positive all the way. There's a million places for air to leak out but only a few where it will properly come in in decent quantity, so not having intake fans there is fucking stupid. If your case is designed to function like a wind tunnel don't even bother with anything else, just go intake/exhaust like you're expected to.

>how do you even calculate that?
Nobody does that. Try it both ways if you have to, and check your temps. Keep whatever is best.

As if current CPUs aren't riddled with holes anyway. At least then I don't have a wide open bootloader.

of course. Anyone who gets behind EVERY SINGLE THING their government does without question is a fucking sheep. I only care about my constitutional rights and will kill motherfuckers who try to suppress them. If you're American, I'd fight for your right to talk shit about the US as much as you want as is your 1st amendment right. Fuck the government and corrupt politicians.

Good talk. TECHNOLOGY.

Attached: 1458781251056.jpg (2448x3264, 1.84M)

Is 8.1 so good?

>as if current Intel CPUs aren't riddled with holes anyway
ftfy.
>Wide open bootloader
>He honestly thinks you're FORCED to use UEFI for boot
GRUB and windows bootloaders are still able to be used you know.

Don't you need UEFI to boot from an NVMe drive?

not all drives no. Samsung drives usually include an option disc to install to allow booting on older machines with no UEFI.

>costs per yielded mm2 increase
First of all that graph looks like a projection considering the irregular jump for 7 nm, secondly increased cost per yielded mm2 doesn't necessarily translate into increased product cost because in turn you can reduce the die size.

>brainwashed hick believes the world would be ravaged by wars if it weren't for the US holding it all together through NATO
Is that what they told you in school every morning for twelve years?

ok i was right then kek

Give me the best system to play Cyberpunk 2077 on you nerds

I should be able to active my free win10 license via that znet article or get a free key from uni. Is there an survival guide for deferring updates while using an home license though? The main reason for sticking with win 8.1 was really stable updates, never BOSD.
Last window version before going full botnet and freedom with updates, it really comfy with classic shell.

Attached: 1534900745354.png (600x600, 349K)

RTX 3070 and i7-1170

Whatever is out in 2077.

>intel
cringe

God I hate this thread. You can't even make a joke without pissing off a Team.

should i buy a liquid cooling for my pc? i'm super curious, i don't really overclock tho, just a tiny bit

i would like to buy those liquid kits around 100 euro nothing too major my only concern is leakage

AMDrones are literal insects like chinks.

No, they're just people.

>Don't understand fun
>Biggest corporate defenders
>Get instantly butthurt
>Literally shill for a company
As I said, literal drones.

I'm just me. Don't attribute other posts to me.

>only people getting mad are intelkikes
lmao mad as fuck your israeli company is hated?
get fucked synagogue of satan.

Bar like 3-4 games, is there any real need to have more than 4 cores/4 threads? I read people saying that the next gen of consoles (PS5/xboxtwo) will have 8 cores/16 thread processors and this will set a new industry standard. But the current gen of consoles have 8 cores already and nonetheless very few games really need more than 4. Is it all just a big meme?

If I buy a used GPU, is it possible someone has flashed malware to the bios? Looking specifically for any links providing useful information.

I know when a mobo bios has been infected, it can resist being flashed with a clean bios, thus staying infected and undetected.

Attached: 1549531259977.jpg (440x347, 45K)

No. Any reasonably modern gpu requires a signed bios to run.

Good cooler for 2600x?

My understanding is that you can use a physical chip to bypass that, which is part of how you get people selling cards that report the wrong model.

Can you use a HMD like htc vive as a monitor without controllers i.e playing games with a normal mouse and keyboard but without wii-motes

Nobody is going to all that trouble to upsell a $20 GPU.
Don't buy from chink sellers on ebay and you'll be fine.

See?

Is it risky to buy second hand CPUs? I was thinking of trading my i5 7500 for a discounted second hand i7 7700k, but is it possible that the seller did something malicious beforehand?

>1

Attached: 1540895655389.jpg (480x358, 34K)

>delid 7700k
>place 7700k's IHS on a i3-7400

It's a reputable seller. I was thinking maybe they could do something to the bios

Any holes here? I have an SSD already. Looking to run DMC5 and other games at 144 1080p. How does the 2060 play with freesync, I heard some Nvidia cards can use it now.

Attached: 0ANgPi6.png (737x692, 58K)

At the present time no, but you never buy a CPU for the present, you buy it for the next three, four, five, hell sometimes eight years if it holds up well. And there's almost nowhere for clock speeds to go, so games are bound to utilize more cores eventually if they want to evolve.

I'm guessing the only reason games aren't fully utilizing the eight cores in existing consoles yet is because they still need to function on early PS4s and XB1s with 28 nm chips that get quite hot, and where thermal management is a major concern as opposed to computers. It's easier to bake a few different settings for the different GPU iterations in consoles into games than it is to adjust the game for different CPUs, so they need to be optimized for the lowest common denominator.

wpd.app/

I'm mainly want to play GTA 5 at 1080p60. Is an RX 570 ok or should i go for the GTX 1660?
The price difference here is ~97$

Blue pill good red pill bad

Intel pozzed shills are literal AIDS.

>dmc5
cringe as fuck boi

1660 is the better bet.

I use a 1660 ti at 1440p and it only just barely manages to stay steady over 60 fps at highest settings.

I built my rig in the summer of 2015 and haven't touched it since so I think it might be time to consider upgrading. No budget but I want to consider the mid to high end options I have.

I would like to stay with 1080p @ 60 FPS

Attached: Specs.png (666x478, 25K)

Stock is pretty good, or go with be quiet! dark rock, noctua, grand macho etc

Get a 2060 GPU and you should be good.

Will Jensen unveil Ampere at GDC? I can't wait to buy the 7nm 3080ti and rape Metro Exodus at 1440p 144hz.

yeah using vr desktop you can

>I would like to stay with 1080p @ 60 FPS
Other than user's suggestion of a 2060 there really isn't much more you can do to your setup. If you want more you'd ideally need to go all in and do a total system overhaul including new monitor.

I wouldn't bet on it.

No. They might be teasing it but it won't release until 2021 since Turing basically just launched 5 months ago.

oh fugg no Metro for me then
what happened to the good old days where the next gen would be twice as powerful

That died a decade ago

Is pricing the only thing makes the 2060 a better option over the 1080 / 2070 or will I have bottleneck issues with the latter?

2060 is meant for 1080p 144hz really, so for 1080p 60hz its more than enough

2070 is over priced for 1080p 60 unless you plan on buying a new 1440p or 144hz monitor soon

>I gave up and splurged for a Radeon VII as a birthday present to me from me.
I'm about to do the same thing
Just looking for some advice or opinions on that build before I dive in.

Attached: Hound OFF.gif (500x233, 72K)

Does that panel have free-sync, nothing on the product page says that it does, making me think that it doesn't.

Why the fuck would you get a 144hz panel WITHOUT freesync in 2019?

Do you really need the 32gb of RAM and the copy of Windows botnet edition ?
Other than that it's fine. The Radeon VII is pretty much a 1080 ti at launch MSRP with a lot more compute power and VRAM both of which may not matter to you. You get to be able to mess around with voltages which is a luxury and it's reasonable to assume it'll age well.

some boards don't work with them at all. i should know i tried and failed.

So then is this monitor any good? I don't want to get something much more expensive than what I already have on that list:
amazon.com/Philips-328E9FJAB-Frameless-FreeSync-DisplayPort/dp/B07KQXM8X6
I don't even care about the curved meme, I'm just looking for a 1440p 144hz monitor around $300, but almost every list out there is all curved monitors.

>Do you really need the 32gb of RAM
I understand 16gb is fine for almost everything, but like I said earlier, I tend to throw a lot of unoptimized mods into singleplayer games (like xcom 2 and fo4) that just eat into ram. Plus I'd like the luxury of gaming and possibly running an internet browser at the same time without shitting the bed. Overkill now? For sure, but if this system lasts as long as I hope it does, it might not be in the future.
>Windows botnet edition ?
So should I upgrade to win10 pro then?

Thanks you two for your help and suggestions so far.

Attached: fQn3oNA.jpg (756x960, 132K)

RTX 2060
i7 8700
Dark Rock 4
Gigabyte Z390
16 DDR4
2 TB HDD
Seasonic SSR-650RM
Phanteks ph-es515

New build. For 1080p gaming. Maybe 4k monitor. Any recommended changes? Should I replace my Dell U2713HM?

Attached: 61uPuTQB4tL._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 102K)

I gave up on dmc on the second level. It's the easiest, cheesiest shit I've ever played. You find yourself varying up attacks just to try and make it more interesting, because you can just spam one attack the whole time without any problems whatsoever. Game is complete shit besides the engine.

Get a copy of Enterprise LTSC. Or pirate it. You wouldn't believe how easy that is.

>is this monitor any good?
>just looking for a 1440p 144hz monitor

>75 hz refresh rate

yeah no, that's not a 144hz monitor.

Also, you should be looking at 1080p 144hz at that price really.

Look at this one
amazon.com/dp/B078P57ZWL
$320.

It's a shitty brand, but in your price range you can't afford something from a nicer company.

First: I assume you meant 8700k because lmao if not
but: why spend so much on performance but cheap out on the GPU? Just drop down to a Ryzen if you don't plan on high end gaming.

thats why I got the 2060, big price increase to the 2070

The Radeon VII can't be bought easily in the US, and you probably wouldn't want to.
At $700 the performance is mediocre, about as fast as a 2070, it has housefire temps and power draw, and it's noisy as fuck.
The one benefit it has for gamers, lots of VRAM, will never be realized in its useful lifetime. By the time games need 16GB of VRAM (nowadays games need less than 6GB at 1440p for reference), its performance will have long since dropped off a cliff, especially given it's pretty slow to begin with.

My board has an internal usb port. Freenas can boot from a reg usb stick and all but I know that for longer life and better performance your better off going with an ssd for boot. Would a external usb drive that's self powered work, such as one of those WD pocket ones?

I don't want to use a sata port just for a boot drive, much rather use them for storage. Figured the self powered drive would give me best of both; free up a sata port while also boosting and extending freenas performance. Would also save me some green, no having to buy an sata expansion card + ssd drive.

Alright, bumping up my budget, I got
amazon.com/dp/B00N2L5CXO/?tag=pcpapi-20
for ~$350
Is dell any good at monitors?
My other alternative is
pcpartpicker.com/product/mNBrxr/aoc-ag271qx-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-ag271qx

>Get a copy of Enterprise LTSC.
Is there a Jow Forumsuide out there on how to do so? Googling gives the sketchiest looking sites.

You can buy them straight from AMD. Huge amounts of VRAM was appealing to me because of heavily modded games I often play just eat right into that.
That' being said, I have been on the fence as RTX in a 2080, while infantile now, looks like it has a lot of potential down the line.

Attached: 1547714402448.jpg (1000x1252, 353K)

>about as fast as a 2070
Except its not - even as per user's favourite 1440p chart from techspot its significantly closer to a 2080 (in their test suite - which includes world of tanks twice) than a 2070.

The VII is exactly as AMD said - a 2080 competitor.

>Is dell any good at monitors?
Dell unironically has the best monitors.

Hi /pcbg/
I'm building this system for the purpose of home NAS and running a few Dockers 24/7 (e.g. torrenting, pihole, etc), and 1 elasticsearch docker (which won't be indexing new data constantly, only about once a week).

I was considering this MOBO/CPU:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728

> ASRock J3455-ITX Intel Quad-Core Processor J3455 (up to 2.3GHz) Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
> RAM: 2×204pin SO-DIMM DDR3/DDR3L 1866/1600/1333 - Max 16GB
> 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 Slot
> 1 x M.2 Socket (Key E), supports type 2230 WiFi/BT module
> 2 x SATA3 6.0Gb/s Connectors, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
> 2 x SATA3 6.0Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
> Video: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 500: 12 EUs inside (Up to 750MHz)
> Network: Realtek 8111GR - 10/100/1000Mbps
> 1 x HDMI
> 2 x USB 2.0 Ports (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))
> 2 x USB 3.0 Ports (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

The downsides to this board are (1) it is currently out of stock, (2) only 4 SATA ports. I would prefer 6+ SATA ports for housing many 4TB drives.

The other parts are less crucial, probably 8-16GB RAM, a solid ~250W PSU, maybe a Fractal Design Node-series chassis.

I generally want an inexpensive (under 100USD) board (mini ITX preferred) with a low TDP. Other than a few fans for the HDDs, I want it to generate as little heat and noise as possible.

Recommendations welcome.

Attached: 13-157-728-V07.jpg (1280x960, 206K)