People on /v/ seem pretty adamant the Epic Game Store is botnet, but Steam isn't. What say you, Jow Forums?

People on /v/ seem pretty adamant the Epic Game Store is botnet, but Steam isn't. What say you, Jow Forums?

Attached: steam.jpg (640x360, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/steam.html
spyware.neocities.org/articles/http.html
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/454495282/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

spyware.neocities.org/articles/steam.html

sweeney is honestly based as fuck and does actually control that company. dude has a long track record of excoriating microsoft for their botnet shit.

Is he right?

/v/ is short for /v/alve, the place has been overrun with shills from day 1

Are you sure?

Botnet has no meaning; /v/ is gay
In terms of data collection, you can expect either service to take data on OS and hardware info, along with whatever you give them (duh). I don't think Valve aims to profit from or send away user data, except for broad statistics and the voluntary hardware surveys they push out.
The conspiracy theorist in me would guess that Epic makes up for their lower margins on third parties somehow, but that could be just because Fortnite rakes in more money than their smaller servers would require to run.

yes, the steam key begging threads (aka paid marketing promotions) should have tipped you off long ago

epic are cowboys who got a sudden unpredicted surge of popularity with fornite and are still catching up, acting like they did when they were a smaller company. that's why they've done seeminly stupid things like how they released the android version of fornite as a sideload and suffered due to the lack of security considerations.

spyware.neocities.org/articles/http.html
WOW, BETTER FUCK OFF AND GO OUTSIDE NOW

The absolute state of Jow Forums. Linking /v/ unironically.

This article was written by a schizophrenic who isn't that great at proofreading.
>Name
On your credit card
>Address
Card
>Credit Card Number(s)
Card
>e-mail
Everybody does this
>Age
Legally required to
>IP Address
Everybody also does this
>Device Unique ID
>Chat logs
Everybody does this
>Fourm posts
No duh, and that is not how 'Forum" is spelled
>Voice Chat Recordings
I've seen no proof for this
>Hardware Enumeration

Winne the Pooh

>everyone does this

Attached: 1551302718011.jpg (645x1000, 92K)

You're not even quoting correctly
It's sad that you put in the effect to manually type out such a terrible post

Seething.

/v/ is full of retards - who gives a fuck what they think

video games infrastructures are Jow Forums. stop complaining

if it's proprietary, it's a botnet

Attached: wha.png (908x908, 946K)

Most of those seem reasonable. Consumers don't want to authenticate every log in attempt manually so steam saves your device info so that they can be sure it's you who is logging in. And of course they need your billing info, it's a fucking digital store, what do you expect? If you aren't buying anything then you don't have to give your credit card.

at least steam has respect for gahnoo and loonix users and I can play other games than minetest and assaultcube

Epic sucks circumcised kike cock

>believing what manchilds say

>proprietary
>tencent has a 40% stake in epic games
I'd say so.

>/v/
>having a clue
pick one

yeah, except epic. they steal more than they claim

Jow Forums does everything he listed.

>epic's ceo says they are spying
>claims it will get removed, soon™
>shills try to damage control anyway saying epic doesnt spy
lmao

Attached: 8824716103065511678.jpg (419x433, 26K)

Steam certainly has its bots, but also has far less reason to be flooded by bots. The Steam bots were mostly Russian money launderers who have since moved on to G2A. Steam also has some measures that makes things dififcult for bots. You need steam guard on a phone for trading. The popular way to bot on Steam is with stolen accounts.
Epic games is flooded is bots because they have piss poor security. You don't even have to verify your email to start an account. There are bots out there creating accounts with emails for the free games, that way they can sell the accounts later.
You are also missing teh fact that Steam flat out doesn't give a fuck about proving how big its userbase is. Steam never pushes user numbers to prove how good their store is. They don't have to. Epic has been shilling how many signed up users there are because they are desperate to get devs on board with their exclusivity deals.

shill are clearly from china. they would rather defend tencent than epic
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/454495282/

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (1860x861, 191K)

You realize that the launcher was not really used for gaymers until couple years, right? Most people used it to install UE. They also give you the location of the log files

and? how does that change anything? epic has spyware in its launcher/store period

Ah, that justifies it.

Collecting data which you agreed for is not Spyware, kys
It also has an offline mode, but you're too retarded to give up fortnite

they are collecting data that you didnt agree to, thats the point. its a spyware

Then stop playing games
Sage

>its your fault, not the spyware

Attached: 0447019986796910.gif (500x361, 473K)

I never said it's your fault idiot, you're the one claiming that you're being spied yet you still use it. The launcher was only good for UE which is open source now anyways

epic HAS spyware in its launcher/store. thanks for agreeing

/v/ is just buttmad about the metro exclusive and latching onto whatever they can. If you look at the infographic that started this whole controversy, it's completely laughable. The guy complains that the launcher looks at certs and internet settings and calls it spyware (hint: it embeds a web browser).
Looking at steam data is definitely questionable, but honestly I don't care. That's pretty much what I expect from every botnet proprietary software I install, which is why I use a VM.

>web browser
>scanning steam files

I use Microsoft Store

imagine using either

also go back to

Attached: sddf.png (293x347, 239K)

windows 10 + epic store master botnet race

Attached: 177364.jpg (563x400, 28K)

Steam's been around for years, people have been looking at it already and would have reported that shit if it was anything to be seriously concerned about.

The guy who made the original infographic didn't even notice. And yet /v/ was all in a tizzy about the chink spyware launcher that looks at your certs. They were looking for a reason to be mad and some tech illiterate from reddit gave it to them. It's pure coincidence that actual shady behavior was discovered as a result of the controversy.

nigga, they are scanning files they should never scan. thats literally what spyware is

Steam likely is too, but fuck the chinks

tencent is essentially a wing of the chinese cia.
The chinese government is collecting everyone's names and addresses and other information. They can use this to threaten us in the future like how they threaten their own citizens and their families.

You should assume that any proprietary software you install is spyware. That includes the Epic launcher, Steam, Discord and Windows itself, not to mention all of your games. If you are concerned about spyware I highly recommend using linux and installing Windows in a VM.

>steam
>15 or so years
>no one found any spyware yet
>epic store
>less than a year
>already has confirmed records of spyware (ceo admitted it himself)
nice store

Please take your faggot greentext posting back to /v/.

back to china you shill

Personally I think it's just fucked up how they went about the Metro exclusive thing. If it was like months in advanced and initially announced before it was put on steam preorders and stuff, it really wouldn't have been a big deal. Instead they did it pretty damn close to when the game was released.

>partially owned by tencent
>dumps random shit into all of your connected drives disguised as MS office cache files or recovery files
There was never any doubt that Epic was malware. They're probably collecting network captures like Ring of Elysium does.

Can you name a software storefront (that is, one that offers software in exchange for money) that DOESN'T require name, address, CCN, email when collecting payment by credit card?
Can you name a website that DOESN'T use your IP address?
Can you name a persistent text chat that DOESN'T collect chat logs, or a forum that DOESN'T store what you post on it?

Discord

>epic shills say that it's okay for epic to spy on you because steam does it too
>ask them why I shouldn't support gog over either of those bloated botnets
>"gog promotes toxic pro-consumer practices, and the lack of DRM causes lost sales. just think of the poor investors"

This is all you need to know about your average epic shill. Also, my second favorite.

>steam at least helps with linux support, why doesn't Epic?
>"because windows doesn't need competition, it just works"

Cripes almighty, it's like I'm really on a microsoft support forum.

Attached: 26e.png (445x365, 133K)

VAC = collected DNS logs, ppl get mad Valve apologizes

Epic = Fucking grabs files from your PC, sniffs all your traffic and whatnot. Doesn't care

Amen

lol

It's proprietary so of course it's botnet, but at least it's American botnet and not Chinese

LMAO

american botnet + chinise spyware

Attached: 30656548376.jpg (117x120, 6K)

Ehm

Epic games is partly owned by Tencent

I was talking about Steam

its only natural we thought about epic when you mentioned botnet

That's because you're from /v/, and should go back there.

nah, this board is perfect for discussing botnets. epic store fits perfectly with Jow Forums's culture

Attached: 568812067.jpg (500x409, 127K)

Lurk before posting you crossboarder filth. Fuck off.

Attached: Cage Cascando.gif (332x215, 1.99M)

back to china

Attached: 1550395847395329.png (640x400, 24K)

BRB DOWNROADING NOW

Attached: as.jpg (770x486, 220K)

Stop bringing the garbage from other boards here, you fucking moron.

Scrub another toilet you /v/irgin shitstain. THIS IS Jow Forums YOU MUST HAVE AN IQ ABOVE 80 TO POST HERE.

ms, google and epic are the holy botnet trio

Attached: 3849510725.jpg (264x191, 10K)

It's tied into China. It's literally botnet.

Steam probably is too though and I know it dials in for google analytics and shit.

what was the reason Epic didnt inform its users that its scanning Steam files? why were they trying to hide it?

Look up the word epic on your favorite search engine, post results, for me, only Google shows the epic store as top result.

Attached: epic.png (548x654, 52K)

Attached: qwant.png (1440x797, 84K)

I've never liked steam as a company. I've been saying Steam is botnet for years on /v/. Gabe Newell is a greedy Jew

yes, and after all these years of boycotting you have still no proof for anything you say. enjoy your chink spyware m8

Don't care about any of your questions dude. Your reasoning for things in life is crooked and you should work on that before arguing for anyone or anything else.

also is Jow Forums really this fucking stupid. of course steam and epic are fucking botnets you fucking idiots

There is quite literally no open source "non-botnet" alternative to steam. So yes it's okay when everybody does it because you can't legally purchase or play games without steam or the like.

one scans your files without your knowledge and consent, the other is not, guess which one

Attached: 62571419124944058.jpg (268x265, 16K)

How stupid do you have to be to fall for this

The launcher from day one was required to play Unreal Tournament 4 you fucking liar

Okay, you're even more retarded than I thought.

Not an argument peabrain

Nice observation, retard.

>btfoing yourself

Ironic coming from someone doubling down on the most retarded argument presented on Jow Forums today.

huh?
*dabs*

GOD DAMN IT Jow Forums THIS IS NOT THE RESPONSE I WANTED

WE NEED YOU TO CONVINCE /v/ TO OUR EPIC STORE GOD DAMN IT