Google Home

Can you do ANYTHING with this shit? Like most Jow Forumstards, I would've never touched the thing if it weren't for my parents deciding to pay like £100 to wiretap their own house. Naturally, I refuse to install the app and botnet myself further, but it just seems so fucking useless. What do people do with it?

It can't play music:
>Ok Google, play Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
>>Sorry, but I don't have a default music provider picked. You'll need to install the app and pic one.
[what the fuck? You're telling me that the default is no default]

It can't read stuff to me:
>Ok Google, tell me about [topic]
>>(reads like 3 lines from the heading of the Wikipedia article)
>Ok Google, tell me a lot about [topic]
>>(reads the same 3 lines)
Even if I feed it something obscure that forces it to go off of Wikipedia, it'll just feed me shit. For example, ask it about any theorem that you remember from your maths classes and it'll not only give you a bad answer, but it'll change its source every time that you ask it.
As for getting it to read other things, it can't even do something as simple as a Bible verse:
>Ok Google, read me Deuteronomy 16
>>(reads like a 5 line summary)
>>If you'd like to hear more, install this Bible app.

It can't even do Jow Forums shit.
>Ok Google, why do people hate Koreans?
>>Sorry, I don't know how to do that.
>Ok Google, why do people hate white people?
>>Sorry, I don't know how to do that.

In fact, it can't even do /tg/ shit
>Ok Google, roll me 5D6
>>[asks me some shit about a music app]
>Ok Google, what's the average roll on 7, 20-sided die?
>>Sorry, I...

At best, all it's good for is starting timers (with no indication of their progress until the timer finishes and makes a noise so loud that it makes my dogs bark), settling arguments by reading a very quick bit of Wikipedia, and generating random numbers when you're not using any notation.

tl;dr - what the fuck can this shit do that a cheap 2009 smartphone can't?

Attached: 1517409978000_1297281.jpg (500x500, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/how-to/google-home-complete-list-of-commands-so-far/
github.com/bjoernkarmann/project_alias
developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/create
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Moreover, what the fuck can this shit do that a cheap 2009 smartphone can't DO BETTER?

Sell it
It's useless and waste of money

It's not my property.

Give it back then, Jamal.

>implying that Jamal knows his parents
Try again.

To be fair, they're small enough and valuable enough that they might actually be a good steal.

Fucking hell, is that all this is good for? It's handy if you're stealing it?

My uncle had a motorcycle accident and became a quadriplegic. He's really depressed all the time. Bought him one of these and set it up with Spotify, it's made his life a little better. He can play his favourite music with Spotify and control the TV with it too.

While it can't wipe his ass it's actually made his life a little better. Pretty thankful for this technology in that regard.

For normalfags it's a meme.

Holy shit user, you might be the only good man on Jow Forums. Well done dude.

No there's definitely cases in which it's useful such as the one described, for people who have difficulty doing things normally due to a disability.
Most cases it's just some dumb "smart" home device that spies on you and provides little to no benefit other than being too lazy to change a song on spotify.

Typical, so it really is no better than a cheap smartphone if you're a normalfag?

I got one of these ones but a mini one, I want to hack it to replace all the wiretap shit with something better.

Any ideas?

I doubt that's realistically possible. It works by speaking to Google.

What functions do you want from it anyway?

I bought a google home mini last summer for cheap, the sound is good enough in the kitchen for me.

And my cellphone is probably already wiretapped anyway.

What sound?

Good job my dude.

I had some plans to allow it to connect up to home assistant to allow it to do shit via that instead because then at least I know where shit goes rather than into the giant fucking ad sink of Google.

It seems to use the speaker as a microphone.

The sound quality when listening to music.

cnet.com/how-to/google-home-complete-list-of-commands-so-far/

Short of doing shit that your smart phone already can do (e.g. asking it to flip a coin, set a reminder, or Google something like a stock price), I'm strongly getting the impression that it's only good as an interface with all of the other internet of things technology that you own. In other words, it's worthless if you're not a complete bugman.

There's also some shit like playing audiobooks, but:
1) Your phone can do that already.
2) You'd have to use your phone to set up an app for the Google Home to use.

Attached: Only unique things.png (681x708, 64K)

Do people actually expect it to be able to do things they couldn't already do with a browser?

It's just a speech interface, same as your smartphone has.

>with a browser
They expect it to be at least as good as their smartphones whilst being twice as convenient.

>It can't play music:
>[what the fuck? You're telling me that the default is no default]
I've got a trick for that. I'm not sure about specific songs, but you can say something like "Ok Google, play me [artist name] on Spotify" and it'll work.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-17 13-27-31.png (867x446, 48K)

My brother keeps buying more and more of these to put everywhere he goes. He talks about them all the time, and how he can't imagine his life without them. My nephew is 3 and growing up in this environment and talks to Google Home like it's no big deal. I wonder how this is gonna turn out.

>They expect it to be at least as good as their smartphones whilst being twice as convenient.

Which is a silly thought, because if a speech interface was really that convenient people would use the one in their phone instead of using the touch screen all the time.

Brick it

Hmm, on second attempt the music still doesn't quite work. Pandora isn't available in my country, I don't seem to have access to Google Play Music (I live in the UK and it won't even let me listen to David Bowie), and Spotify only seems to let me ask for specific artists, and even then it only gives me a station that includes their tracks, rather than any of their tracks (and I can't skip to that artist either).

Was I right to say that Google Homes are only good if they're linked up to a bunch of other Internet of Things stuff?

And I wouldn't worry about your nephew, by the time that he's 13 everything will be botnet.

I don't fucking understand people. Also, I have a Nest. I took it apart yesterday to look for a mic. Haven't found one. I wonder if they hid it? I didn't completely remove the little battery pack.

That's the magic of marketing.

Based on my limited understanding you were right to say that. My brother has every possible IoT thing you can find. Every lamp, speaker, screen, etc in his house is voice controlled. I honestly feel uncomfortable visiting him.

>Like most Jow Forumstards, I would've never touched the thing if it weren't for my parents deciding to pay like £100 to wiretap their own house.
My parents would never do that.
Like with any new technology, they ask me what it is and then they lose interest if it is something like that. They never joined facebook or linkedin or something like that either.
My father have used youtube a couple of times, but otherwise, they are reasonable people.

Why did your parents think it was worth buying?

Personally, I blame Star Trek.

>Why did your parents think it was worth buying?
I honestly have no fucking clue. Music, maybe?

It'll probably be like that if you're like what user has mentioned .

Does anyone know what it uses to play podcasts? I can get it to play shit like Joe Rogan, but if I knew what service it used I might be able to trick it in to playing audiobooks for free.

At least it can do radio.

>Ok Google, what's the average roll on 7, 20-sided die
try asking less autistically

Attached: Screenshot_20190317-082442.png (2048x1385, 158K)

Does average mean noting to you? Regardless, the autistic question would've been for the "mean of the sum of".

dice roll is a uniform distribution, and a normal distribution if it's a pair of dice or more. idk what kind of dice roll you need for dungeons and dragons because I am not a nerd

Attached: DicePlots_770.gif (526x346, 14K)

github.com/bjoernkarmann/project_alias

I fail to see the relevance of your response. I was pointing out the irrelevance of your picture.

Regardless, I know that the CLT and some basic properties of the normal distribution means that I could answer my question by taking the median of 7 and 140, but that's already too much work for what I'd hope to be able to get from Google. And that's not even for a hard question! If I wanted the probability of getting a 21 from such a roll then Google Home would only be able to answer if it just happened to find some shit like a Stack Exchange question on the topic. At least if I had my phone, I could chance using WolframAlpha or figure out a way to get R to run.

>and a normal distribution if it's a pair of dice or more
Since we're talking about autism, I'm obliged to point out that a finite sum of discrete integer valued distributions is never going to be a continuous distribution taking uncountably many real values.

you are right to point out that a dice roll is not a "real" normal distribution. you still can word your question better.

also Station To Station > Berlin Trilogy > Ziggy > Blackstar > Scary Monsters, just so you know

Attached: Screenshot_20190317-093223.png (2048x1475, 203K)

Respectable taste.

I was actually staying the night over at some MILFs house this Friday and she had one. She used it for playing music and it was pretty useful to just say ok Google and have it start playing what you want. I still think chromecast audio and using a smartphone to pick songs is a better choice, but all solutions work well.

developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/create
make your own ap[p

So rebuilt the software from scratch?

Did she have some sort of premium accounts? As far as I can tell, you can't pick a particular song without doing so.

it's not made for you to do things with it, it's made to do things with you

Convincing.

>it's made to do things with you
Kinda creepy desu. What things can it do with me other than watch me jerk off and flag me to it's overlords after overhearing me make a racist comment in the kitchen?