CRTs for retro use

Can you find good retro use CRT monitors from anywhere anymore?

Was all of them destroyed in an LCD craze of early 2000s?

I think the best gayming monitors would actually be somewhat small, 14" to 17" inch and not the 21" monster monitors.

1) less space on desk
2) resolution would be fine anyhow because 90s games would rarely go up 800x600 which is probably a resolution supported by even ancient CRT COMPUTER MONITOR (not a TV).

Attached: iiyama.jpg (504x502, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sevenforums.com/tutorials/256-screen-refresh-rate-display-settings.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

good ones cost a fortune unless you're lucky and get one locally for cheap from someone getting rid of it. Cheap (when they were made) are utter shit and not worth it.

Depends on where you live, here in eastern europe they're easy to find. Nobody wants them, especially the really big ones. 14-15'' is the most convenient size for a CRT these days and that's the only size i keep, for both monitors and TVs.

I got a dell 17” e773c the other day for $15. An old man was selling it. I’ve been using it for a few days and it looks great on most websites, but bright white ones hurt my eyes. It flickers a lot, is there a way to fix it?

Set the refresh rate higher? Anything below 75Hz is eyestrain inducing

The small ones are shit with shit circuitry and tubes.

Games are for children.

Do I just do that in my computer settings or do I need to do something to the monitor itself

sevenforums.com/tutorials/256-screen-refresh-rate-display-settings.html

>inb4 win10 doesn't recognize crt's and limits choices to 1024x768_60

Windows doesn't necessarily care about what type of display is connected
Windows recognizes the EDID info from the monitor and sets limits accordingly, if it can't read the EDID then it allows you to set any resolution

depends what you doing with it if using it for low resolution aperture grill is better if you want it for high resolution shadow mask is better.

PVM master race comin through

Attached: IMG_20180911_212924_334.jpg (1440x1440, 227K)

low resolution gaming is pointless with emulators

if you like 2d thou fair cop. but buying one for 3d gaming is dumb

15khz trash

There maybe was a reason why MSDOS had black background instead of white

Oh shit son u might be onto something

do you know any thing about overclocking monitors.

most crt seem to be 160-180 vert hz

can you push that higher.

also how bad does interlacing look at 200ish hz?

increasing the scan rate requires almost a complete redesign of the driving circuitry. the yokes will need to be driven with a higher frequency, which takes a higher voltage and thus more power, they'll just burn up if they weren't designed for that extra stress.
I haven't seen interlacing at 200hz personally but 160i looks indistinguishable from progressive in moving images (games). you can still see the difference on fine text, so don't use it for browsing.

flickering wasn't an issue on a 5151, or even early vga monitors with slower phosphors.

xrandr on linux fucking doesn't

ask me how I know

use gtf faggot

I've found many over the years for the price of pick up or a few euros. High end VGA and workstation ones, SoG modes, etc.
Same for lower end ones or specific models, like ones with analog picture controls useful for some usage or MDA/CGA/EGA ones.
Also consumer and professional 15kHz TVs, big Trinitrons and smaller PVMs.

I like hoarding them, I got the storage space too, just as backup for myself and friends who also need them.

>even ancient CRT COMPUTER MONITOR
SVGA. There are VGA ones that won't.

already reflashed the edid

Bought it for SNES, but I play Ps2 on it sometimes.

Never experienced that and I've used several CRTs with LTSC.

shit

>give me reasons to use a crt
Some, like old content looks better on them.

>give me reasons to use a crt
read OP very carefully again

>good retro use
have fun with your non-integrer scaled, non-square pixels in games that have no other options to play them on your flat panel

>tn panel
your option is still shit
just get a selective backlight IPS 144Hz panel, ultrawide if you're going to game

i have this monitor and it has terrible black levels and bleeding.

>which according to tom's hardware, has pretty good colors for a tn
this is like saying that one pile of shit is better than the other because it doesn't smell so bad

5151 used 70 Hz tho

well I can already overclock my monitor to like 2-3hz higher than its rated spec of 160hz. but a safty thing kicks in and stops you being able to go higher (I assume to stop damage?)

some CRT apparently exist that didn't have this safty thing or there might be some way to turn it off with a mod chip. ive heard of people overclocking their CRT to 215hz and stuff.

but ya not sure what damage it causes the safty limit probably exists for a reason.

You don't need such massive high refresh rates for crt's. For lcd it affects response and ghosting, not so much for crt. You just need to go high enough to avoid noticing flicker either directly or with peripheral vision.

nope. 50hz

that safety is hardcoded in the firmware. it'll take some reverse-engineering to disable it, that is if you can even find a way to dump and reprogram the controller. without the safety you'll likely find that the pll/sync circuit won't be able to keep up much beyond its rated frequency, so that would need to be redesigned.
I'm sure there are some models that don't have this safety and can reliably sync beyond their rated specifications, but it will really stress the coils without active cooling.

you don't need it because you have one that cant?

higher Hz is always better.

thou I do agree Hz don't make you win even on LCD and no they don't improve response time on LCD much at all. a 60hz "1ms" lcd is really like 16ms lag on crosshair in middle of screen

a 144hz lcd is like 15ms lag on crosshair
a 250hz lcd is like 14ms lag on crosshair
a 480hz lcd is like 14ms still on crosshair.

the myth that 1ms 144hz is like way better than the old "16ms" 60hz isn't true only reason they brand them as 1ms is they changed how they messured it the new fake messurement is how fast it can literally turn off now how fast it changes image.

hz is for comfort on both LCD and CRT

running both at max hz possible is wise because on CRT you can run at 160-200hz if you use interlacing and have double the resolution it would normally support at 160hz

so a crt that can do 800x600 160hz interlaced can do 1600x1200 160hz.

that's more than enough resolution.

but ya I guess 120hz interlaced 2048x1536 might be nicer.. but id rather have higher hz and lower res when the res is already higher than 1080. 200% resolution scale makes pushing resolution higher than 1080 pointless imo especially when largest CRT is 19inch.