Why does Jow Forums hate self taught developers?

Why does Jow Forums hate self taught developers?

Attached: 1512092821854.jpg (500x359, 18K)

All programmers are self-taught. To a point, anyway. If someone made fun of you it was probably because you wrote something stupid.

Jealously.
Most Jow Forums is comprised by ricers and weebs that can't get out hello world.o

No, this comes from comments on Jow Forums from people who are either working on degrees or received one who hate American (of any ethnicity) developers who are employed and self taught.
Maybe but there might be more to it.

hating everthing is the premise of Jow Forums, like a proto twitter.

Attached: 1538606629861.jpg (750x1000, 159K)

I would add pretentiousness.
Programmers tend to think highly of themselves, but in reality they are extremely insecure and trying to compensate for the lack of personality.

It's like /tv/, but worse.
Its like /mu/, but worse.
It's like /lit/, but worse.
It's like /sci/, but wait, Jow Forums is a little better.

No. This doesn't exist. You're a pajeet who's shot at code and you're making shit up.

All Jow Forums cares about are how meme the languages you use are. Nobody cares how you learned.

The glass ceiling, getting paid less than your coworkers. The prejudice against you, being excluded from social functions because you don't have a common college experience background, your ideas being discounted and your coworkers presenting a carbon copy of them and getting credit for it. This is my life at my current job.

You make fair points. But I'd just like to say that this behavior can extend into the workplace and it kinda makes sense if it is.
It's funny how you internalize how what I'm saying is 1) false 2) never happens on Jow Forums 3) I'm a pajeet now 4) shot a code and 5) making shit up.

That's a lot of projection there buddy.
>your ideas being discounted and your coworkers presenting a carbon copy of them and getting credit for it
This is what I'm worried about. I'm learning to be a front end web dev right now and this is one of my biggest concerns.

I don't care about social interactions as long as I get good pay.

What qualifies as self taught?
Is a math major who learned how to write C++ to get a job self taught?
What about a Comp Sci major who never took a databases class, but then read a manual and got a job?

I have a lot against people who can't even write a bubble sort but go on through their day gluing shit together

>What qualifies as self taught?
In this case a "32 yr old who had shit jobs from 18 to 30 that paid less than 18K a year until he applied himself for a year to learn enough web dev to get hired and is learning new things everyday in his new job while also making the best money he's ever made in his life".

That's extremely specific and I don't think anyone would hate that person. I would be annoyed by people who did a coding boot camp and suddenly think they're a senior level dev.

>gluing shit together
/thread

I actually just turned 30 and I want to learn coding for front end web development. I feel watching youtube videos and going html > css > javascript > react would give me a good start.

They remind them of their mediocrity

because they haven't gotten themselves in order to be able to achieve anything they want

People will bully others over things they worked harder than someone for, because it makes them realize how pathetic they are

Wouldn't you be angry and bitter if some guy taught himself to program for free while you spent upwards of $50k and 4 years to learn the same thing?

Attached: noms.jpg (500x531, 38K)

Isn't Jow Forums full of self-taught devs?
Maybe it is just the CS majors posting here; perhaps IRL people do hate these type of people because nobody knows how to prove these skills without a paper that you paid at least 3k in tuition at a community college.

Anyone can solve this problem by taking some classes and at least getting a cert desu senpai.

Jow Forums doesn't hate self taughts, Jow Forums hates churned out retards from college only got a degree to make money and they also hate lazy fags asking whether it is worth it to learn how to code or not.

Jow Forums is a consumerist larper board.
There is nothing wrong with self taught. Except if you learned Java or JS. Then you should kill yourself.
Jokes aside don't ever give a single fuck about anything said by anyone on this Mongolian cave drawing discussion forum, for they have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

HR looks down on blue collars jumping into white collar work because they're the most likely to lie out the ass about everything on their resume and be a total waste of their time.
They're primarily the reason retard tests exist in the first place.

I don't know what they're expecting, you want a job programming computers and can't even fake it in front of an employer.

No, what kind of a retard gets bitter over that?

You wouldn't be angry that someone reached your social station in life through much less expense, time and effort than you?

lold

Hell no

You really can't imagine a scenario where someone else would feel this way, for one reason or another?

I can easily imagine people getting bitter over much less too, hence why I called them retards for doing so in your scenario in the first place.

Professional dev whos self taught here. As long as you can prove you know your shit, your boss or your colleage devs wont give a fuck. I have interviewed fresh grad kids and more than half of them were total retards who couldnt write anything more advanced than the fizzbuzz code they memorized.
Im also working with EE people who taught themselves programming.
It's an easy field to get into, you dont need intensive hands on experience or specialized training environment like surgeons do, a computer with electricity and youre golden.

why do you hate me Jow Forums? ;_;

>As long as you can prove you know your shit, your boss or your colleage devs wont give a fuck
Thanks for the confidence boost amigo. I won't let you down.

>also hate lazy fags asking whether it is worth it to learn how to code or not.
This.
>What languages should I start with?
>Should I start programming now?
>I was learning language $x but then a friend said $x was shit and I should learn $y, what do?
>Is this a good book?

No, I wouldn't be bitter. My dad did exactly that. He always said that the biggest limiter of an even higher paycheck for him was his lack of degree though, so I went and got one.

>Bubble sort, sometimes referred to as sinking sort, is a simple sorting algorithm that repeatedly steps through the list, compares adjacent pairs and swaps them if they are in the wrong order.
if you can't do this then you can't even get a dev job

Do you have to be intermediate or expert?
I can't be a brainlet and hope for a job?

the best programmers were self taught. they were inventors, not students

"self-taught" developers usually have zero clue on key aspects of computer science and software engineering that are required to make actual good software.

>but in reality they are extremely insecure and trying to compensate for the lack of personality.

Holy projection, batman

Attached: batman.jpg (600x807, 101K)

There's a disconnect between two ideas being discussed here, getting employeed as a self taught developer isn't that much harder than doing it with a CS degree if you're good at what you do. And getting a CS degree won't increase pay over someone without one past year 3 or so. But having any college degree, even a liberal arts piece of shit smeared paper, will increase your earning potential. Jow Forums is just angry that 4-6 years of hating their life during school gave them no advantage 5 years later over the Chad that studied accounting and then learned to program.

while there is nothing wrong with being a self taught dev, the reality is that most of them are pretty incompetent when it comes to thinking some logical issues. The most famous examples are """"front end""""" devs who know nothing about actual CS and dont even bother with it and yet complain when they are asked to think logically. Also to make it clear, you can still have a CS degree and be as incompetent as these people. A piece of paper doesnt really change that much if you were taught badly or leaned badly.

>Studying just to be a code monkey with slightly better pay
Not even laughing at your life anymore, it's more general concern for your mental health by now user.

"Computer scientists" tend to have zero of the actual programming skill required to write good code in a tight time frame.

i'm not sure that such simple coding is really worth learning...
i suspect that this is where all those shitty fizzbuzz implementations come from

in an ideal world, yes.

Only dumb devs who forgot where they came from shit on self taught people.

T. cs College graduate

Somewhere between these two is a happy medium