I don't get the hype.

Attached: golang.jpg (840x593, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mandelmap.deadbeef.codes
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r17&hw=ph&test=query
medium.com/@deckarep/paradigms-of-rust-for-the-go-developer-210f67cd6a29
youtu.be/gfh-VCTwMw8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't think that there's any hype user. But it's a good and fast language with a nice standart library.

>But it's a good and fast language with a nice standart library.

Attached: dyur.png (649x729, 57K)

I don't see any hype. I just see a handful of advocates trying to convince other people that it isn't as niche of a language as it actually is.

It's the braindead mascot.

Google had to make their own JVM clone and even bothered creating a modern syntax for it. Why didn't they just push Kotlin that is already running on a much more mature environment instead?

You have to throw something new at hipsters every once in a while.

It's easier to learn than python, more capable than python, and faster than python.

That's basically why. There is literally no reason to use python aside from its supportability and libraries. Golang is quickly catching up on that front.

Also a lot of high profile projects that gain a lot of attention have been written in Go, such as Docker, Kubernetes, SyncThing, etc.

Additionally, its development was led by 3 incredibly high profile individuals, including the creator of Unix and the creator of Plan 9. The book on it was also written by Brian K, same guy that wrote the c programming language (book).

The standard library for Go is excellent in this "cloud driven world". Great support for various HTTP functions make implementation of and interaction with REST APIs a breeze. Also concurrency out of the box.

I spent about a month learning it before I was productive. I made a Mandelbrot map that runs a raspberry Pi Kubernetes cluster in Go. There's 16 raspberry pi's and it scales really well. Check it out: mandelmap.deadbeef.codes

It gets people who would otherwise use interpreted shit like node and python to instead create properly compiled programs with decent performance and fewer dependency issues.

Exactly - it's the perfect language for someone who doesn't want to learn C, but wants as much as the benefits of a compiled language as possible.

Cause you are a faggotnigger who likes to suck ass

>Go
>modern syntax

>I spent about a month learning it before I was productive. I made a Mandelbrot map that runs a raspberry Pi Kubernetes cluster in Go. There's 16 raspberry pi's and it scales really well. Check it out: mandelmap.deadbeef.codes
Now go write a medium article and share it on hackernews.

There's no hype, it was stillborn. No reason why it's shilled recently.

it's like java but with worse performance and it can't be used for mobile shit

Shut the fuck up.

Attached: 1551581932572.gif (429x592, 2.67M)

Its performance is better than Java, it's now more portable than Java, and it can be used for mobile shit.

Golang 2.0 is coming

Attached: yammy.png (512x512, 292K)

It's made by Google®, clearly it must be good

It's fast. Enough said.

>JVM clone
>modern syntax
???

I'm sorry. But there's just no use case for that anymore.

Sure there is, especially when you're making scalable web applications.

It was created by this man

Attached: faces.KenThompson20515.web_.jpg (1619x2024, 2.42M)

I'm making scaleable web applications. There's no use case. Maybe if you were writing a Simplex algorithm or something.

I guess you don't understand the economics of scaling. I'm not talking about ease of use for developing, I'm talking about operational costs.

dat picture, damn.

you honestly think 0.0035ms of time makes a difference in making a web application?

I don't see Go being faster than Java techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r17&hw=ph&test=query

There is no hype, that's why professional engineers use it. Hype doesn't build reliable products.

>professional engineers
spoken like a true macfag

go looks alright on microbechmarks but is shit in real applications due to the ffi/syscall situation

are you being sarcastic or not?

this is some quality posting

That's not really an apples to apples comparison, and it's a pretty shitty benchmark to compare languages. For one, it doesn't even list a lot of the popular Go frameworks, which have more GitHub stars than light4j and many of the java frameworks. The Gorilla framework for instance is capable of handling 30,000+ RPS, which is more than any of the java frameworks on that list. You are literally looking at cherry picked data if you send me that list to compare.

>can't zoom out on mandelbrot
>no indefinite zooming
>more than a sequence to load on any zoom level
can you even infinite sequence bruh?!

I traded zoom levels for efficiency, storing the zoom as a uint8. Remember this thing is running on a bunch of little ARM processors.

Cool Pi project, but what's up with calling yourself a research group?

Attached: 2019-03-18 0xdeadbeef.png (1047x1622, 238K)

Google. Famous team. Complied. Static binaries for easier deployment. GC, but also value types. Batteries included. Literally designed to be easy for junior devs.

It's a fun little project I'm a part of, I don't really do much other than manage their infrastructure and development platform.

What does your group do with ray marching and GANs?

>which have more GitHub stars
opinion dropped

>ffi/syscall situation
what did he mean by this

There is no hype. It's totally niche, no one is using it in production.

But wait a few years, until Oracle finally fucks over Java.

I don't know the specifics but it's to do with visualizing data and machine learning models, stuff way over my head haha. I know ray marching has something to do with efficient rendering but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Python is way more concise and flexible than Go. Python shine, when you want to create APIs that blend in the language really well. Go will not each Python's ML and research lunch any time soon.

But Go will eat a couple of other languages lunch in the meantime.

>no one is using it in production
Stfu retard

It actually is. The avg google tenure is 4 years - with guys mostly out of school and no real-world experience. With Go they cannot make too many mistakes.

I wrote my first program probably in the 80s and I like Go. It's fast enough for 90% of the jobs out there. Todays computing is mostly BS. Reshaping data a bit and calling it a day. We have no systems research, there are no real game-changing systems beside maybe the whole ml-wave that is currently deployed.

I don't either. I just assume the average go poster is just a google bot and go on with my day.

I look forward to Go 2.0 being sepples without classes

Go is pretty cool. I'm not a professional dev (I'm a systems engineer/devops guy), but learning about Go from the book by the Donovan and Kernighan book made me learn a LOT about programming. A lot of big people put their names behind this project and helped create it (Rob Pike, Ken Thomson, among others). I'm still just learning but I like it.

My buddies and I swore, we will stop using Go the day it gets generics.

I was tempted to learn go, but then i found this :
medium.com/@deckarep/paradigms-of-rust-for-the-go-developer-210f67cd6a29

Rust is superior by design.

>efficiency
how is it efficient to store zoom levels as an int?

You linked.me to an article and I was open about it until I read the output of the first rust program he ran. How the fuck can you even tell what's going on here, this error message is so dumb.

> :14:5: 14:6 error: use of moved value: `m` [E0382]
:14 m.insert("2", "b");
^
:14:5: 14:6 help: see the detailed explanation for E0382
:9:19: 12:6 note: `m` moved into closure environment here because it has type `std::collections::hash::map::HashMap`, which is non-copyable
: 9 thread::spawn(move || {
:10 m.insert("1", "a");
:11 c_tx.send(true).unwrap();
:12 });
:9:19: 12:6 help: perhaps you meant to use `clone()`?
:17:20: 17:21 error: use of moved value: `m` [E0382]
:17 for (k, v) in &m {
^
:17:20: 17:21 help: see the detailed explanation for E0382
:9:19: 12:6 note: `m` moved into closure environment here because it has type `std::collections::hash::map::HashMap`, which is non-copyable
: 9 thread::spawn(move || {
:10 m.insert("1", "a");
:11 c_tx.send(true).unwrap();
:12 });
:9:19: 12:6 help: perhaps you meant to use `clone()`?
error: aborting due to 2 previous errors

Maybe you need to go back to preschool

>error: use of moved value
I don't see what's hard to understand about this. The rest of the output is just telling you where the move occurred, where the attempted use-after-move occurred, and a recommendation on how to fix the issue.

>y-your stuoopid !! >:(

Attached: abc.png (226x223, 6K)

Bit shifting results in less instructions than floating point arithmetic you retard.

I'd read it.

There are plenty of working professional devs as well as autistic students on Jow Forums. While autism is what makes Jow Forums Jow Forums it cannot be fed too much

>better than chodejs
>better than dykethon
>better than pooja
>better than seeshart
Even a solid piece of shit is better than any of the above diarrhea languages.

would love to work on your team

Bah... When Go gets generics it'll be implemented in the most elegant way possible. The Go design team doesn't fuck around.

Cool. Now write a swap function that works for any type.

>Cool. Now write a swap function that works for any type.

Implicit code, yuck.

I also hate implicit code.
var a = 1

Is that a float? A double? An int? An unsigned int?

Nobody knows!

Attached: DtBDy0SUwAAv1_S.jpg (1200x900, 164K)

The Dell codebase was notoriously awful, so this isn’t surprising.
youtu.be/gfh-VCTwMw8

If you use double for everything then there is confusion. Just encode all your other numerics as integers and you’re good.

It's pretty straight forward if you read the book.

You moved m into a closure, after the closure m gets destroyed and can't be used anymore. In this particular instance it protects you against data races and that person should use a mutex when doing concurrency.

I really want to use go in my project, but I'm too stupid to implement things without generics
Heck, I wanted type safety, not having to use interface{} and asserting everytime

Because they wanted to get the fuck away from the JVM after the Oracle lawsuit

What are you trying to do? Often it's just a matter of reframing things or changing perspective

They could just use OpenJDK.

What is kubernetes? What is docker?

Just copy paste your code a dozen types for each variation of parameters and return types. I’m sure some user has the webm demonstrating how this is done.

Don’t Redhat and Amazon essentially run the show now with OpenJDK. OracleJDK is just a parasite praying on corporate dinosaurs.

In Go that is always an int.

Go is not as expressive as Python but it is easily 2 magnitudes faster and more maintainable.

Sorry grandpa, but micropython has already taken over, it is fast as fuck too.

Attached: 1538196522282.jpg (1280x720, 155K)

Toy implementation.

Cython, PyPy, TorchScript. Python with MyPy has infinitely better static typing than Go.

>static typing
Those are type hints for documentation purposes, child. The typing is still dynamic.

If you want to distribute something to normies you've got really limited options.

You'll never get an average Windows user to install Python, pip and whatever modules your app uses.
I mean, you could build some 50GB Electron app..

>no generics

>measuring literally everything except throughput
also most rewrites end up with better performance, regardless of target language

hhmmmmmmmmmmmm???
python has optional static typing and go doesn't even have generics, very pathetic

Attached: mypy_in_emacs.png (1428x526, 88K)

Why use Go when you can use Lisp?

Because I'm still trying to find the missing parenthesis.

>N-NO GENERICS

Attached: 1536771992557.jpg (938x974, 85K)

What an absolute retard we got right here

well ive learned the syntax and done the whole tour of go

but what the fuck do i make with it to practice

Cheap and disposable web servers. It's all it's good for really.

google figured out a solution to the problem of stupidity and the double hump
frankly speaking it's amazing they were able to do what they did with go
successfully making a language for people who are mentally retarded is actually quite the arduous task

>hire the best and the brightest
>burn them out before they are experienced enough to write good software
why do they do this?

Is this why all electronic YouTubers are switching from Arduino to Micropython boards? You are in the wrong side of history, old man.

If your editor doesn't do this for you, well, you're using a shit editor.

Not exactly an ultra-hype language. It's meant for writing web servers and microservices. It's a specific tool made for a specific job.

>number 1
>doenst know it belongs to the integer set
i dont see its written as 1.0000000000000000 faggot

did u even finnish elementary school faggot?