Is compsci even worth saving at this point?

> youtube.com/watch?v=S20NcDLF_t4
> the absolute state of zoomers

Is compsci even worth saving at this point? What happened to handwriting PDP11 or 8088 assembly on paper? Or manually drawing sprites and converting pixel colors to hexcodes. This nigga literally thinks his 3000 line shitty JS server is "computer science".

Attached: cszoomer.png (776x673, 596K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c2gq4IwIc_s&t=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Still doing more CS than you ever could in your entire pathetic boomer life.

>rants for 2 minutes about having to read a 104 page PDF

not sure how i feel about this guy. his whole channel seems like a psyop to get zoomers to take cs route.

Attached: 8284c1d2b9cd438be8270f6deaef429807fa3ba23b33d748454018b07e687249.jpg (455x775, 61K)

>Wah stop doing useful things and start being autustic like me

>JS, Electron and REST
> useful
pick one

Ultimate zoomer

youtube.com/watch?v=c2gq4IwIc_s&t=

>University of Guelph

shit tier cs school.

The only cs school that matter are Waterloo or UofT.

Still he will fuck more woman than you and live more successful life than you

tbqh based

.t Devon Crawford

i can live with reeves' childish humour much more easily than i can with devon's onions haircut and fucking normie music, without even getting into the content of the video.

Attached: 558.jpg (700x734, 107K)

Sure as hell more useful than PDP11 assembly.

modern CS students have no fucking clue how a computer works despite their degree saying "science". this kid talks about using JS libraries to interface with C code but probably has no fucking clue what an x86 C call stack looks like.

lol

Let me guess: you are unemployed.

This

That's not CS. It's entry-level programming.

And you are unemployed.

where do you start if not at the beginning?

Attached: 1544986480899.jpg (1125x1117, 149K)

>toolkit that allows people to create modern looking applications with minimal amount of knowledge and effort isn't useful
>this kid talks about using JS libraries to interface with C code but probably has no fucking clue what an x86 C call stack looks like
There is this thing in programming called abstraction. You don't need to know how something is done internally to use it as a tool. Good luck learning every layer of abstraction underneath before writing a simple GUI application.

t. leaf

>reading 104 pages
Lmao I would just look at the sample data and reverse engineer my own solution.

And just CTRL+F the document if there were some weird edge cases or something that I didn't understand. And probably not find it anyway so just go back and logic through it.

So what you're saying is...college degrees are meaningless in this day and age. What an epiphany! Why did no one notice this sooner?

Attached: 1550335178239.png (817x443, 34K)

They actually learn useful skills. I'd give my asm knowledge for js any day everyday. That parser he wrote could be used in a lot of business, unlike your asm homework. And besides, the industry needs specialized people working at different abstraction levels.

Let me guess, they didn't teach you about abstraction ?

Abstraction isn't meant to hide internals from retards like you, but make it easier, you fucking numb-nut.

That's not really fair. In a subject like CS where you spend a lot of time self-teaching and tinkering, individual drive and talent matter more than alma mater IMO. It's not like law school.

t. Waterloo BCS

Well, I have a CS degree, and it would be better to just spend that time to learn on my own. It was mostly useless shit or things for beginners.

But it's useful if you want to get a promotion while working in some companies(mostly big corporations). Also, there is big social pressure to have a degree so I can have my parents off my back.

You're thinking of SE. CS is math.

>its a "/v/ zoomers who read about assembly and C on Jow Forums think theyre better than actual paid devs, despite being unemployed themselves, because the language they like is harder" episode

Attached: 1546226868690.jpg (600x674, 55K)

He is literally a student.

Get a life.

kek, I had a DB 2: electric boogaloo course with this crazy African prof that had us implement a different join algorithm in Postgres from pseudocode. And this was just the final project worth 30%. Codebase is fucking massive, and does some really abstract shit you won't see in K&R. It took me 3 weeks of staring at code between other school work just to understand how the existing shit worked.

Attached: 1463522661580.jpg (473x500, 29K)

> Or manually drawing sprites and converting pixel colors to hexcodes.

muh fuckin vidya xd

Eh seems like cs to me, software engineering at least and it's actually useful projects that will get you a job.

You have to take asm , and operating systems to get a certified CS degree in the US.

What a faggot! I would fucking rape him.

But tomatoes are the best part. The lettuce tastes like grass.

What a faggot!

based semi-original thinker

>pic
can headphones really do that to your head

imagine actually studying to be a code monkey. Take the /accounting/ pill, user

>manually drawing sprites and converting pixel colors to hexcodes
you're fucking retarded

Software engineering is too difficult for CS brainlets

CS has been a meme from the start, go into CE/ECE or full on EE if you want to actually learn something.

Fuck his shitty vids and his gay hairstyle. I saw some vids and everyone of them is edited with some lofihop music

Wtf is all about with the lofihop shit

>Abstraction isn't meant to hide internals
That is literally what it is

>but make it easier
Yes, by hiding the internals. You have a black box that, given x, produces y. You don't need to know how, just that it does. It's an abstraction. Sometimes it might be useful to know the internals, in which case you'd go and learn them.

> modern CS students have no fucking clue how a computer works despite their degree saying "science".
You have no proof of this, angry boomer.

Attached: boomerhat.png (264x287, 17K)

cs has almost nothing to do with computers
its a subset of math, almost everyhting you do in cs is with pencils and paper

I bet you consider physics to also be a subset of math.

>cs is a subset of math
Stop saying this. Parts of cs utilize parts math heavily. Parts of it are completely removed from math. Computer Science fuses application and theory, don’t disassociate the two. Math is much more difficult anyways.
From a programming prospective this is challenging in the sense that there’s a bunch of shit to keep track of. That mirrors a lot of software issues. I’d be impressed to hear about this in an interview and it’d show me you’d at least be able to code monkey some shit for the company. Still this is a software engineering focused project (and class it seems), and a heavy dose of coding experience is good for programming job prospects but doesn’t strengthen the underlying principles that make one a good programmer.

He drinks monster, he's a 30 yo boomer

What happened to punch cards?!
Damned zoomers got it too damned easy. lol back in my day you actually had to think, lol now they just do what they're told.
Heh, yep, those were the days. Remember we actually used to smoke weed and drink in the labs, heh can't do that now can ya son.
Yep.

Math expresses everything. I'm reading a book now, Logic & Information by Keith Devlin, where he's attempting to lay the mathematics down for information, i.e. a new kind of logic.
Logic had no relation to mathematics during Aristotle's time. Your brain performs calculations when you walk. Mathematics is everything.

thats software engineering you are talking about.
cs is a pure maths subject

A lot of philosophy can't be expressed by mathematics.

>cams is a pure maths subject
No it’s fucking not. There is a huge divide in the CS and Math Community over the way CS uses math even over shit like complexity of Primality Testing. CS uses math in a largely applied practice. It has neither the rigor nor disconnection from application that math holds. Stop making it more than it is.

I wish my cs course was like this. It feels so slow and we have pointless modules like "working in the computer industry" where we have to do a tonne of pointless shit

CS PhD student here. CS is not purely math. It's a whole host of different subjects under one umbrella. Algorithms, formal languages, and the like of course form the core of it all, but it's not pure math.