Decentralized imageboards

So to create a decentralized and robust forum with decentralized moderation is not very difficult, given the primitives which already exist:
You have a network where you can host files (Freenet, GNUnet, Perfect Dark) semi-permanently, and download them given some key (e.g. their hash, CHK). You can also have a sort of "signed link" that points to a such a hash and is signed by your public key (SSK/USK), and completely unauthenticated links with arbitrary names (KSK)

Then each user to make a post, just edits his "profile" to append that post to the bottom. Then all the others download and append it.
For spam filtering, they use the web of trust. Users only download messages from those with high enough trust.
To discover users and initialize new ones, there are some hardcoded 'seed nodes'. All these do is to give trust to anyone who solves captchas.
So they publish some captchas, and if you have the solution you post it to a predetermined "path" (filename). Then you get introduced to other nodes and gradually gain trust.

So how do you extend this concept to anonymous imageboards, without getting completely raped by spam?

Proof of work is insufficient. There's no good level to set it at. If it takes a legitimate user a minute to post, that's 1.5k spam messages a day someone can insert.

There has to be a way to ban someone, without knowing who they are. Do the cryptographic primitives exist for this, for instance ring signatures?

Attached: Perfect Dark.png (1024x768, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/majestrate/nntpchan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what is this image OP?
oh yeah good idea too

I make the logo!
put me in the slack team!
[email protected]

see filename
it's not an idea, it already exists, I'm asking if it can be used for anonymous boards

>So how do you extend this concept to anonymous imageboards, without getting completely raped by spam?
invite-only with ring ciphers, probably?

or, ring signatures* i guess

Add decentralized captchas

>There has to be a way to ban someone
If the decentralized board system you want to build is Truly anonymous, I think you can't

It's interesting the idea you have described. Are there any existing softwares I could look up the documentation?

>So they publish some captchas
How? Which system do they use and in which way would they post captchas?

>download messages
This has to be implemented well, otherwise it could be dangerous.

>that's 1.5k spam messages a day someone can insert.
but if you implement a captcha, this shouldn't be a problem, no?

>to make a post, just edits his "profile"
So, if there are threads/chats (are there?), you could see every post a user has made?

I'm really interested, how can I stay in contact/contribute?
I have seen some 'similar' projects around the web, but I can't remember them at the moment
Just this: github.com/majestrate/nntpchan

just go post on cripplechan if you're butthurt about Jow Forums moderation

>decentralized captchas
not OP
but... how?

I don't think it's possible. Just think how a captcha works:
A server generates a puzzle, you have to solve it.
In a centralized system only the server has the answer, on a decentralized system? Idk

>There has to be a way to ban someone, without knowing who they are
there isn't you fucking retard

what's cripple chan

4+Jow Forums

>5 hours ago

OP please I want to talk to you
Open another thread tomorrow at 17:33 and I'll be there if this gets deleted.

Attached: tenor.png (640x604, 237K)

>It's interesting the idea you have described. Are there any existing softwares I could look up the documentation?
Search for Freenet/FMS
>but if you implement a captcha, this shouldn't be a problem, no?
Not possible to do as I see it if you want to stay decentralized. Also, captchas can be solved by Indians.

>So, if there are threads/chats (are there?), you could see every post a user has made?
Yes, although it's not given that it's archived infinitely far back.

>NNTPchan
Yeah that's probably about as close as you could come, or put it behind a layer of decentralized storage but still do it kind of federated
I'm still here

Being an obscure piece of software no one will ever use is the best spam filter.

don't you lose anonymity with having 'profiles'?
how do one computer/ip/persone get associated with a profile? can it be changed?

If we try to build a solid logic for this system we can start building it!

>don't you lose anonymity with having 'profiles'?
You don't connect the profile to your real name, so it's like on bulletin boards
>how do one computer/ip/persone get associated with a profile?
Public key
>can it be changed?
Yes

>If we try to build a solid logic for this system we can start building it!
It already exists, but it's not anonymous like on here.

17:33 what time zone?

I'm still not sure about this key 'association', but I need to get more informed about.

UTC
I have to go now, I hope to see you again

>You don't connect the profile to your real name, so it's like on bulletin boards
Depending on how many different topics are discussed on the board + how large a profile the user in question keeps on other social networks, there may be enough information to figure out who they are, so I'd be careful with that.
Still, I think the idea has some promise, though to get any real adoption it should be at least as roughly as easy to use as the other imageboard software today.

No one wants to host your CP. kill yourself pedoshit.

Okay, search for FMS if you're interested
Yeah, but that goes for any bulletin board.
Full user has other issues, being very hard to implement.

what do if someone posts the same thing multiple times?
>block
>rewrite file ad infinitum
>dos them

There are plenty of decentralized imageboards but no one uses them because they have such low traffic. NNTPchan is one of the more developed examples though technically that's closer to federation than decentralization.

Attached: nntpchan.png (2508x2043, 275K)

Where would they post it?
Are there any truly decentralized ones?

>Where would they post it?
blockchain