Amazon BTFO

NJ bans cashless stores.
sfchronicle.com/news/article/New-Jersey-enacts-law-barring-cashless-stores-13697437.php

Attached: 20180118_Amazon_Go_84-630x420.jpg (630x420, 34K)

Won’t they ony need to put a machine that accepts cash to get around this?

Technically, in the US you aren’t legally allowed to decline legal tender if someone wishes to settle a debt with you, so you could argue that cashless stores should be illegal
A little kiosk in the front might fix that, tho

Has New Zealand gone totally bonkers?

Oh no the store that has a million dollars worth of cameras in it has to add a single cash checkout machine and update their software to not double charge the people who use it.

/thread

I don't understand how this would affect amazon stores. You literally can't walk in without an amazon account from what I understand, making it not so much a store but a private club which requires a membership to walk in. Whatever trade takes place inside, since it isn't serving the general public, would that be subject to legislation??

>Jeff Bezos has billions of dollars yet is unable to read one

Attached: US_one_dollar_bill,_obverse,_series_2009.jpg (1216x528, 214K)

>The new law takes effect immediately and would punish businesses that violate it with a fine of up to $2,500.

Because $2,500 is a lot of money for a business like Amazon... did anyone put any thought into this law?

>Laws stop being laws if it's not open to the general public
Yeah that's why Costco with it's memberships is free to ignore the law and not charge sales tax, oh wait that's not how reality works.

Attached: 8d6.jpg (645x729, 81K)

>implying you don't understand the argument
you don't need a membership to buy things at costco.

>NJ bans cashless stores.
But why? who uses cash? Cashless is way better than all those "cash only" asian places that tax evade out the ass and force me to go find an ATM every damn time.

99% of things at Costco can only be bought with a membership, maybe you can buy a hotdog at the food court, but everything else in the store needs membership.

>Technically, in the US you aren’t legally allowed to decline legal tender if someone wishes to settle a debt with you,
correct.
>so you could argue that cashless stores should be illegal
False.
Point of sale is not debt.
If I owe you $5000 according to a contract we signed, I can pay you cash.
If I offer you $50 for the goods you sell at your store, you can just say no. I am declining the trade/transaction. Not preventing you from paying a debt.

>The American banking infrastructure is so bad people still use cash.
Sad.

??? you still enter a contract when you buy something in a store

plus, the store offers YOU the products at the register

>??? you still enter a contract when you buy something in a store
At the point of sale. If you agree to pay $50 next week, they cant come back and say "cash only" but they can absolutely refuse your business for any reason, other than things that violate discrimination laws or say this new law. Legal Tender laws are to preserve the USD as legal tender and a trusted currency. Not to give some special treatment to cotton bills over plastic cards.

>cash only
Meant credit only

There's legal precedent for it, cash is the currency of the US, so for a business license, it makes sense to require them to take cash, hence the "for all debts, public and private" printed on the bills. If cash isn't accepted in a business, then what is cash good for? Paying by card on the other hand is considered a convenience, since you're using private companies and banks to do the transaction. Visa, Mastercard, and Amex are like pipelines for the transactions. It would be wack for a government to require you to use a third party for payments, but not so wack to require you to use the currency of the country.

How can those jersey boys live without their laundromats?

>banking infrastructure
botnet

>There's legal precedent for it, cash is the currency of the US
The USD is the official currency. Do...do...do you or fuck it, does the NJ government even understand how banks, debit cards, or credit cards work.,..? do they think plastic is like a currency? do they understand I am just using technology to give him the money in a more efficient way?
It's bassically "transfer the funds from my balance sheet, to that of the business" vs "remove the funds from my balance sheet, dispense me some paper, take that paper to the business give it to them, they take it and put it back where I got it, the funds are added to their balance sheet." for debit. And credit is just adding an extra step. If anything this is better for preventing say a bank run. Of course sometimes I forget the US banking system is basically the wild west, and is not as efficient or controlled as say the big 5 in Canada. Nor is your payment processing up to snuff with interac.

this can be easlly be circunvented by doing a Amazon Prime only store

>The USD is the official currency. Do...do...do you or fuck it, does the NJ government even understand how banks, debit cards, or credit cards work.,..? do they think plastic is like a currency? do they understand I am just using technology to give him the money in a more efficient way?
What are you going on about? NJ didn't ban credit cards.

>What are you going on about? NJ didn't ban credit cards.
What? they ban stores that did not accept cash. I asked fucking why? and the user told me it was cause cash was the official currency. This is nonsense. The USD is the official dollar, and cashless stores are all still dealing in USD. I get there might be some old documents that predate debit cards somewhere saying something about muhh paper bills. But this is a new law, and should know better.

Does this mean, NJ is planning on banning pretty much every online retailer?

Why do those idiots want to keep cash around. Coins are hell and paper money is just as bad. I don't want to carry that shit.
Pennies? fuck outta here

Attached: Traditional Philly Greeting.jpg (476x348, 93K)

>Falling for the plastic botnet
Yikes

I love cash. its faster than credit cards usually

hello

Does America still not have tap?

Criminals often only have cash.

Yeah we need all transactions to be in The Cloud™ so you can be better monitored, and while you're at it make sure to use Apple/Google/Samsung Pay so they can collect your data as well.

>The earliest known reference to a vending machine is in the work of Hero of Alexandria, an engineer and mathematician in first-century Roman Egypt.
>His machine accepted a coin and then dispensed holy water.
This problem was solved 2000 years ago

You joke but I want that.
>leave my house
>Google botnet alerts the store that I'm likely coming based on the time of the month being typical for when I visit the McAmazon store
>walk into store
>their facial recognition knows it's me
>drone pulls up with cart of things it knows I like and a bin of suggested items
>I like the suggested items so I decide to put them in the cart
>walk out without seeing a single human
>automatically charged to my Amazon account
Maximum tyranny

fuck that. I just want to wake up to it outside my front door.

What about waking up to it, in your bed.

Attached: I can't wait to crawl in bed with Anonymous.png (800x572, 754K)

tempting. But I grew up in a shitty area, so the tokenism of being able to have packages delivered to my door and still have them there when i get home, will never wear off.

Capital punishment should be instate for anyone who uses cash, inserts their card when it is below tap limit, thinks they can swipe, or just tries handing their card to the cashier. Like they should just give them a lethal injection on the spot and hurry up to the next in line.

No. Amazon Go has no cash collection at all, not even card payments. Its all checkoutless.

Also should include anyone who says "hang on I need my glasses" or needs to fuck with their phone for five minutes to bring up apple pay.

You understand debts as well as a greek.

Why get this instead of a large attached mailbox that deposits items into your house?

What if someone takes a shit in it?

But you accepted the contract when you accepted the offered price of $50.
If you wish to decline the offered $50 in cash, then that is your choice.
There is nothing stopping anyone just walking out of this store, having offered any employee, or other recognised and authorised recipient of payments, cash for their goods. If the store decides it doesn't want to take legal tender, that's its business, they can sue me in court for the alleged debt.

Its a pseudo-tax not a ban.

Probably less likely than the delivery man blowing his brains out over your rug.

The brainlet future business bans is weird. They have banned car companies from selling directly. They are banning companies from fully automating.

US is creating self-inflicting wounds due to retarded voters/politicians.

this isn't about privacy or whatever the fuck Jow Forums blabbers about.
it's just to prevent losing jobs to automation, like how you cant pump your own gas in the state either.
from an economic perspective, this is retarded.

Name something more privileged than not being able to use legal tender in a globalist monopoly store

>this happens
>I get the video on my phone automatically
Neat.
>Alexa, clean the bodies

>cash sucks so much man, just make your entire life digital, what are the corporations gonna do with your data anyway, you're just one in millions of consumers, plus you get better personalized ads for stuff that actually interests you

Attached: 1517931015484.jpg (387x437, 41K)

New Jersey is the most corrupt state in America. It shouldn't be called the "Garden State" it should be called the "Vaseline State" because they're always trying to fuck you

t.born and raised in NJ

Little nit-pick but that's actually not true for the case of alcohol in some states. IIRC wholesale stores are legally required to also allow non-members to purchase alcohol in states like texas

It probably has something to do with collecting taxes. Amazon probably does some weird accounting crap with their stores, so this is NJ's way to circumvent it.

Fuck off miguel no you weren't

>oh man NJ is so corrupt I can't believe they're stopping corporations from forcing cashless staffless stores on us, this stuff is the FUTURE man

Reread the message you sub human.

>If I offer you $50 for the goods you sell at your store
That's not what's happening.

What's happening is
>You say the total cost of these goods is $50, ask for debit card or credit card
>I say cash

I'm confused how this doesn't apply then to online stores. Afaik I can't send cash to a majority of the stores I order from online. Or what about places that don't accept higher denominations than 20. How is it legal for them to deny 50 and 100 bills if the basis of this law is that a business can't refuse legal tender

do you ever use your brain or even care to masturbate?

do you need an app for everything?

Attached: 1536551188005.jpg (600x600, 128K)

Rude.

>forcing it on us
yeah we just really love waiting for cashiers, or grandma to count her coins in front of us. Everyone hates the concept of Amazon go.
now dont you have a beach to close, so your fatass can hve it to himself?

I think the new lae just states brick and mortar.

>New Jersey bans stores that can't be hit up for protection money

No shit.

wasn't the actual reason for the law, that they felt that it was used as a way to discriminate against poor minorities who only carry cash or something?

>a business can't refuse legal tender

Common misconception. It all has to do with whether or not goods or services have been rendered at the time of payment.

If you owe a debt, like your bill at a standard restaurant after you have already eaten, they must accept legal tender to settle that debt.
If you do not owe a debt, such as when you order at a fast food joint and pay up front before your order is fulfilled, the restaurant is completely within their right to refuse service if you cannot pay with a method they prefer.

Is NJ stands for New Jealand?

It is a New York suburb, that New Yorkers get mad at you for acknowledging is a NYC suburb.

only for alcohol

> banned car companies from selling directly
kinda tough. keeps dealerships privately owned and in business, but also prevents the manufacturers from directly selling you a car and running their own dealerships. eh i kinda feel like it wouldn't make a difference in the end. yeah buying directly could save you money from not paying dealership markup, but car manufacturers already know people are willing. if they could setup shop and overtake privately owned dealerships they would just start selling with the markups themselves. and overtime i think manufacturers would put dealerships out of business because, well, they wouldn't be obliged to sell cars to third party dealerships. they can just focus on their own.

Stallman must be thrilled.

Amazon operates a cashless bookstore in the mall near me. They might have closed indefinitely in light of this. I'm going to check. If they're still open I'll try to buy a book with cash and see how they'll react.

Attached: 1525286384546.png (1608x1077, 1.37M)