Is godot the best engine for us anons?

Is godot the best engine for us anons?
The graphics look beautiful!

Is he right about it?
youtube.com/watch?v=IPCv6F-IgXU

Attached: serveimage(12).jpg (256x256, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/unity.html
twitter.com/reduzio/status/1073284242086551552?lang=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nah its overmemed shit

if you can get used to the way it structures its projects, yeah it's pretty nice

it's good but the 3d renderer needs more work, wait for the vulkan port next year

>not even up to 2008 level graphics

This tbqh.

vulkan wont make a bad engine good

correct, but godot isn't a bad engine, you're thinking of unity and/or unreal

I wanted to get into godot but i couldn't stand gdscript.
I'm a programmer give a real programming language.
>inb4 C#
I'd be cool with C# but that was in alpha last time I checked.

Attached: 988fb4148dc0705f17fd9e24ab2e46cf0770d03268134a53694c95e356989ecf.jpg (625x833, 278K)

>unity bad
moron

you can help it not be in alpha

neither of those are bad

Heard that Battle for Wesnoth will port to it, seems pretty cool

Yeah, but that would take real programming

yeah I can also program my own game engine

The C# component hasn't been in alpha for a while.

Poor documentation really dampens the whole engine.

I’m writing my own engine and you should do the same.

Link Github and we'll judge

>Implying anyone here has the ability to judge the quality of the source of a game engine

It’s not at that level yet. But it’s being rewritten in c (I have basic phyiscs, collision in C++ already but I prefer the control afforded by C) and with sdl2. It will be simple and hopefully fun to use.

Is it or will it be open source? I'm genuinely interested

I'm using the c# module now it's surprisingly comfy but the naming conventions are kind of trash

Yeah it’ll be free and open source.

spyware.neocities.org/articles/unity.html

>It’s not at that level yet.
Let me guess, what you have is your logo so far

Attached: 1246287645225.png (640x764, 454K)

it's bad because it does analytics?

Can this engine be used to make web browser-based games?

>puts palemoon in the top tier
laughable

Games are not for anons, dude.

holy shit this guy is annoying

Order Road is the best Godot game!

Attached: 1550459218604.webm (700x392, 556K)

>real programmer
>not willing to adapt to a script that's easier than python

man i havent tried to make any game in years. maybe its time to resume my amateur workshop

Attached: 4704587561508475.png (636x426, 167K)

Yes.

Oh boy, it's not this thread again.
This time it surely won't go in circles.

>I'm a programmer
Then make your own engine.
It's not that hard if you're making use of API's like opengl or vulkan.

EVERYTHING IS AN OBJECT/NODE XD
it's trash design. GameMaker is unironically better.

Unity is shit, retard.

Yes. Also it's bad because you don't own the games you make in it. Any proprietary engine is garbage by design.

looks good, how do i start?

Even Unity is better and Unity is complete shit

Should I use this to make a 2D text based game or a framework such as qt or electron?

Attached: MAGApepe.gif (400x400, 82K)

Godot has a dedicated 2D mode. I never even use 3D.

Yeah I've been using it the past few days and it seems pretty good, just wasn't sure if I should keep going or not.

When are they going to port physx to rocm and use it as an agnostic physics engine? It's open source now

I'm not one those autistic make-your-own-engine fags but in this case i have to ask - why would you need an engine for a text game?

>it's trash design.
I don't know how to use it, therefore it's bad

>Something with no design whatsoever is unironically better.
Kek

>no games
>furry tower defense game is their best
>low framerates
>ass graphics
>maybe the demos are nice?
>LAAAAAG
>try playing the third person shooter demo they keep showing off, it stutters and grinds to 20fps on any hardware especially when firing the blue blaster
Godot is a 2d indie shit fest with a barely functioning 3d component. Just compile unreal from source.

Attached: 1552918670996.jpg (960x960, 132K)

why are you surprised that a rough tech demo isn't optimized?
>unreal
isn't open source sadly, so not acceptable for many use cases

I'll step through this real slow, so you can understand it:
Just because it's open source, it's not a viable option.
Have you been able to follow? If so, here's some more food for thought:
If something is significantly worse on multiple fronts than the proprietary options, you are shooting yourself in the foot for no reason other than having bought into some retarded Jow Forums memes.

>inb4 what's wrong with it???
People have written on how Godot is a meme pretty exhaustively the past few times we did this.

And lastly: Yes, it's a fucking tech demo, a controlled environment to show off what your shit cand o under ideal circumstances. If it can't perform in a demo, it can't perform at all.

>he can't grasp that there would be a point to a tech demo besides maximum performance
>he doesn't understand that proprietary is even less viable and its quality is not even worth discussing if the license is unacceptable and non-negotiable
>he comes in a godot thread to shill his corporate bullshit and wonders why people are dismissive of him
no point to educate the unwilling, so i won't

>source code is on github
>m-malware!
>h-harmful software freedoms!
>my use case is my shekels
>30% revenue? I can't possibly give you 20%. Who ever told you I had 5%?
hmmm

Attached: money shovel.gif (500x378, 542K)

>it's on github = it's open source
no, also
>implying i ever said anything about shekels

I come here in hopes that one day Godot is actually good.
Meanwhile I call retards like you cockgarglers.
You are a cockgargler.

godot is already fine for plenty use cases
>lol i called him a silly name xD
reminder no one is interested in playing your fortnite clone that you spend thousands on flipping assets for

It's got a lot of potential and it's pretty impressive, best FOSS game engine I've seen so far. However it does have a road ahead of itself in terms of competing with mainstream engines like Unity and Unreal. I have high hopes for it.

this

>FOSS
Why is it not FLOSS? Because they caved to sjw and changed master slave terms?

>marketing your product towards anyone besides literal slave owners is caving to sjw
?

He didnt say that, he merely implied it's transparent and then mocked your ideology. And it is, the only restriction is the terms of use and licensing, it's plainly visible for an audit. You're literally just crying about paying developers for their hard work. Foss is just a tool of corporate pigs who want developers to give up labor for free

>I'm a programmer
You're a faggot

Imo the only real use for Godot is in game jams

Okay little buddy

>implying there aren't several other restrictions in the unreal license that make it not open source
>implying godot developers aren't being paid for their hard work
>implying the project would even exist without funding
if you work for epic and you want to talk about changing the license to make it actually open source then let's talk, otherwise i don't care

>public domain
What is nigger saying? It's under MIT license.
This guy is a complete retard.

>cpu had anything to do with american negro slavery
You americans are retarded

t. retard

I read your post and almost knew who it was in the video without watching it, then i hovered the link and seen it was in fact that bluedrake faggot.

His videos keep being shilled to me so I've watched a few of them on mistake and he'll go on for 50mins about literal nothing and act like he knows everything. My favorite is when he talks about how there's no innovation in video games anymore but all he does is play military shooters.

Well duh there is no innovation in military shooters, and thats 99% of the normied right there

>The graphics look beautiful!

Attached: 1551487884967.png (625x773, 143K)

Fuck me, that's some fanboy mental gymnastics right there
The purpose of a tech demo is to show what your product can do. If the people making the product are incapable of making something nice looking that runs well, how the fuck would you expect anyone else to? And more importantly, why would you even put your faith in a product when it's developers aren't competent enough to make something good with it? What is it about that situation that makes you think they're capable of making a great engine? The market is saturated with game engines many of which are battle tested. Some of them free until you actually make a successful game. A situation 99% of people using any game engine won't find them in anyway

you only need one good game and you are done. The problem is finding someone wanting to program in that shit. Maybe you could be the first one, OP.

Did you read my post brainlet?

>tfw when not the best juice on the world can cure manletitis

Nigga looks straight up ridiculous.

thinking of switching from Unity, is C# usable in 3.1(if not argument pls)? I'm developing a 3D game for reference.

Attached: 52f1d87d-f112-410c-ac8a-0777193b5615.gif (287x344, 72K)

bump

Attached: 125b0d76-8832-4ee5-82ff-e583d54b8815.jpg (235x252, 19K)

>it's bad because you don't own the games you make in it.
several people debunked your retarded ass last time you posted this

You might be able to make a valid case for Godot for 2D but the 3D is incredibly immature at this point, dont do it

Could you explain what is missing compared to Unity?

Attached: da4b3cbb-279e-4df1-be8e-ff41ce4867d9.jpg (756x715, 61K)

I haven't used Unity or Godot, but using a new, unproven, untested game engine hot off the shelves is one of the dumbest things you can do
If you care about your ability to make games you should be used the most tested, proven and supported tool there is
People are only pushing Godot because it's open source not because it's practical. Still haven't seen any 3D games out of it, barely any 2D ones too for that matter

>Is godot the best engine for us anons?
It is the only engine, user.
Only with Godot the game I make actually belongs to me. Any game done with Unreal or Unity doesn't belong to you.

Palemoon is the safest and most efficient web browser, though.

source? benchmarks?

make your own thread faggots
You're right in saying that a new and untested engine/framework is a dangerous bet and yeah in their showcase setion i can only see 2D low quality games. I'm also getting lots of performance issues on demos -.-. So in conclusion OP's video is a shill and in to the trash it goes.

Attached: 6ad0d7f7-de9b-49ca-a01e-c11376a2e29f.jpg (512x512, 36K)

why do you make assumptions about a tech demo when you don't know what the scope of it is or what it was intended to show off?
why would you put your faith in a proprietary product in which the developer denies you basic respect?
why do you think there is only one open source game engine out there?

using a hard dependency that isn't open source is THE dumbest thing you could do

Torque3D is under MIT and far more capable than Godot.

>using a hard dependency that isn't open source is THE dumbest thing you could do
Depends
Open source is a plus, but so is being developed, tested and supported
If it's open source you can fix any problem yourself, theoretically, but you could also make your own game engine, you want a tool that makes things easier for you and doesn't trip you up further down the line
Considering how many and the variety of games made by Unity, it's probably your best bet for things that aren't going to fuck you over further down the line

>us anons
>>>/reddit/

>kickass editor
>Small footprint, literally just an executable
>Decent scripting language
>No license jewery
"Oh neat, this is amazing let's check it out"

>No occlusion culling
>Only opengl
>No object pooling
>No LOD hierarchy
>No landscape/foliage editing
>No advanced features like hair, prerendered shadows, etc

It's literally an N64 era 3D engine. The only reason anything can look remotely acceptable is the massive power of modern hardware. Once occlusion culling is in it may be actually useful for 3D, since most of the other things I complained about can be addressed with addons/templates. Until then this thing is only good for wack ass 2D indie games.

>>No object pooling
what does that mean exactly?

Object pooling lets you preload data before you need it and keep it around in memory for later use. It's handy for things you'll intend to spawn a lot of at runtime and prevents hitching and overhead having to load and unload data all the time.

Godot doesn't have it because the developer thinks it's bad practice and his super awesome engine is super awesome and doesn't need smelly outdated concepts like that.

what a joke of an engine

Unreal is open source IIRC
But not free software since it doesn't respect your freedom

no source code == fake and gay

fuck off with the meme already
it's well written and full of tutorial

and stop being a brainlet and learn how to read documentation.

twitter.com/reduzio/status/1073284242086551552?lang=en
^the guy who made the engine said this

>why do you make assumptions about a tech demo when you don't know what the scope of it is or what it was intended to show off?
Because that's what a tech demo is
>why would you put your faith in a proprietary product in which the developer denies you basic respect?
First of all, i never said i would. Secondly, if i did it would be because said engine had been used for numerous projects, proving that it could handle them
>why do you think there is only one open source game engine out there?
Because making a scalable, all purpose game engine is hard. Besides, if you can read through all of Unreal's source code. If that's not enough, then you're choosing an engine for ideological reasons. Which is fine but don't pretend your inferior product is on par or superior to the proprietary alternatives because it's not, unless being open source is so important to you that it outweighs everything else

This desu, Godot needs proper c# support, it's currently a buggy mess.

It's a fucking top meme that people think that gdscript is viable when it's fucking reference counted and hasn't got a GC. The language is so fucking slow that you end up FORCED to implement high performance impact code in cpp (whose API is still suboptimal)

name one game ever completed in Godot

I'll wait

to be fair, that isn't a valid argument.
but i am certain godot lacks many features any high dollar studio would require.

including support. you have no idea how valuable support is to corps.

well he's actually right, if you do memory allocation properly you don't need to pool objects, that's what I thought it was originally but the other poster referred to preloading things as object pooling