Nvidia 'giving' GTX 10xx owners raytracing

Nvidia 'giving' GTX 10xx owners raytracing.
youtube.com/watch?v=bfyBtGXU41I

Attached: 33[1].gif (300x100, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/news/crytek-real-time-ray-tracing-amd,38837.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9uWYaiP3s
brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/
euclideon.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel
youtube.com/watch?v=GN5c3B6RqaI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This would be absolutely irrelevant if Nvidia allowed other people to develop free and open drivers instead of perpetually locking up their reclocking behind signed firmware and cucking the users.

Attached: 1551423060111.jpg (494x566, 67K)

wow how philanthropic

Attached: 1200px-Jen-Hsun_Huang_Headshot_(15313247387).jpg (1200x800, 104K)

I thought only AMD brought new features to old cards, and Nvidia only released new drivers to cut performance to make us buy new cards.

>tomshardware.com/news/crytek-real-time-ray-tracing-amd,38837.html
>Vega 56 running raytracing demos 30fps@4k
>Nvidia scrambles and announces support on 10 series GPUs
OH NO NO NO NO

Based 56 poster.

its advertisement. have it visible but running like dogshit with no optimisation for 10 series

That's pretty interesting.
It theoretically widens the DXR install base, but isn't useful outside of developer experimentation.
But DXR could use that experimentation to grow faster.

>but running like dogshit
It still runs like dogshit on the rtx series, so...

Pascal is going to be a slideshow.

right now its rtx die space vs amd compute, and whoever comes up with a better algorithm will be winning

Explain to an oldfag brainlet who doesn’t understand this new marketing stuff

First it was HDR but fucking hl2 and fallout 3 had that

Now it’s ReAL tIMe RaYTrAcing but who the fuck cares isn’t it just a gimmick? Modern games with dynamic lighting already are fine enough

This is like the tesselation gimmick

Engine implementation will also be a big factor moving forward.
I would like to see how DXR performs across the earlier gens of hardware, or between AMD/NVIDIA etc.
It would be pretty great if AMD would enable DXR directly on their current gen like NVIDIA did. There's nothing stopping them.

whether its a gimmick or not really depends on your own opinions of graphical importance. its certainly a big step forward in lighting, but its nothing new. we're just getting closer to being able to render it in realtime

Technically, we could render in realtime with consumer grade hardware before too, like on Brigade.
But it ran on the highest end hardware we had at 20fps at low res completely noisy.
youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9uWYaiP3s

Oh shit i didn't realize, LOL NVIDIA IS GONNA PULL AN INTEL REALEASING SO MUCH SHIT ON A PANIC ATTACK!!!! OH NO NO NO NO NO LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD!!!!!

Attached: 1543414320300.jpg (500x661, 50K)

Raytracing powerpoint presentations

How else are you going to justify spending money for a new card when a 4 year old one can run everything at 60fps

Add hairworks and to the gimmick list

Does anyone remember the “next gen” render thing from 10 or so years ago that used small dots or something instead of polygons? Whatever happened to that? Anyone remember what I’m talking about?

based image

Wasn't it the shadows in Witcher 2?

They got scared by CryTek bringing raytracing to both regular AMD/Nvidia cards. If Crytek succeeds, then nVidia's RTX has no business charging premium. This is exactly like the FreeSync/GSync nvidia premium bullshit.

Wonder how well Quake II raytraced will run on a 1080.
brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/

No, it wasn’t a game, it was an entire new render system that didn’t use polygons

So there's no need for dedicated cores?
Who would have thought

Attached: 1483356640843.jpg (640x736, 65K)

euclideon.com/

I think I know what you're talking about. It used "atoms" that represented whole objects when put together instead of polygonal models.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel

Why amd sucks?

Now that you mention tesselation

I wonder...

How many games make use of that technology nowadays?

Attached: 1547051624967.jpg (788x960, 135K)

>the scameon fag is still alive and conducting 'business'
holy fuck, i tought the guy had killed himself by now, but it seems like they are still able to (((convince))) governments into giving them grants for "research"

they want gtx owners to say "wow this looks awesome but it runs at 5-10fps" then they have a reason to spend $1500 on a 2080ti

absolutely this.
it's basically a demo.

Most AAA games in the past few years use tessellation pretty heavily for terrain displacement and close in detail. Check out some metro exodus comparisons.

Right now its completely noisy too but they are using a denoising filter.

dedicated cores are faster, just that.

>BUY OUR OVERPRICED GRAPHICS CARDS BECAUSE OF A MEME CALLED "RAY TRACING"!!!
>6 months later
>"O-oh... no one bought our new cards... well we can give you people with older cards our new meme too... I guess..."
THANK YOU BASED NVIDIA

Attached: 1528300361699.jpg (650x576, 60K)

did you mean magnanimous?

There is nothing proprietary to Nvidia here. The ray tracing has been introduced using Microsoft's DXR api in DX12. Nvidia has implemented the hardware acceleration for ray tracing in the Turing GPUs. No-one is stopping AMD from doing the same, and if and when they do, the ray traced GI is going to work on those cards as well. But as usual, AMD is way behind.

they just want to make RTX card look good since their adoption of goytx on GTX cards is worse than hairworks

The big question is will Nvidia support SLI ray tracing. I’m sure 2 1080TIs OCed heavy can match a 2080TI. I have HB bridge and 16 lanes per card instead of main stream 8 lanes
>inb4 frametime micro stutter
>hurr durr Stutter
Look at that frame time chart and see that flatline of frametime

Attached: 3CECE917-866D-4E08-894D-02C0D8731CB3.jpg (4032x3024, 2.25M)

Attached: d2i4f15hw6zz.png (640x480, 229K)

Nvidia did shot themselves in the foot with RTX. Everyone knew AMD cards were better at compute and bruteforce, and now they pushed development in their favor by promoting meme tech.

DXR is open to anyone though as it is part of MSW DX12 and Vulkan spec. Curious to see what ID would do with this. Doom Overlord with DXR when?

>enable RTX on 10xx series
>force RTX ON on all future game releases
>all games now run at 10 fps on all 10xx cards
>everyone is forced to buy a budget RTX 2060 to play newer games

Nvidia engineers are geniuses.

Ray tracing is so retardedly taxing that you will need the dedicated core regardless. RTX still shit nonetheless.

and also less accurate.

I wonder if any of these will have the raytracing feature.
youtube.com/watch?v=GN5c3B6RqaI