Redpill me on BSD

I'm becoming more interested in OpenBSD as my desktop os.

Those who use it, is there much difference between using OpenBSD and a linux distrobution?

For reference, I'm currently running arch linux.

Attached: obsd.png (1200x781, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

top500.org/list/2018/11/
youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw
openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/netbt-Bluetooth-kernel-code-td231381.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>Proper virtualization (vmd/vmm is awful compared to KVM+QEMU or even Virtualbox)
>and probably more

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

dont mind those post, linus is transitioning after the CoC story and is a bit salty
openbsd is the only chad os, try it on a vm first if you are a bit of a fag.

you should assume that some software requires porting, and that the upstream devs don't really care about supporting BSD, even if it kinda works

It's slow. Takes several minutes to start up. Not worth at all. I'm regretting switching to OpenBSD, and I'm switching back to Linux right now.

>filesystem
dont they have SU+J for UFS?
the only real problem is shitty firefox support, and the lack of a decent alternative browser (chromium doesnt count)

FreeBSD is the Chad of the bsd family. I runs on almost nothing like a fucking stallion.

It's fine. Easy to install, has good defaults, great manpages, nice security features, and all the same software you use on Linux minus some high-profile ones like Wine and Virtualbox.

Great if you do software development: the strict malloc features in particular make it much easier to suss out any undefined behavior in your code in comparison to Linux. I always keep an OpenBSD VM handy at work for this reason. At home I run it natively.

>robust filesystem
are you serious? most disks do a degree of checking physically and if you want performance then use softdep. ufs is stable enough to be used as a filesystem. fsck works, etc.
>ssd trim
if your disk isn't older than 2013 then you're fine.
>nfsv4
noone actually uses this.
>support for more than one core on various pieces of the os
because the objective of openbsd isn't software speed at any cost it's clarity of implementation. if you're looking for crazy speed go elsewhere because pf sure isn't gonna fuck with you to that extent.
>802.11ac networking
this is the only one i'm going to give you.
>nvidia graphics, intel, amd vega
then don't use it lmao. nvidia is a notoriously shit code provider. there's a list of stuff that works just refer to it.
>bluetooth
they have never and won't add bluetooth and unsurprisingly noone actually cares.
>wine
IMAGINE not wanting to use an os because it doesn't have a windows/linux compatibility component. these things introduce meaningless bloat.
>luks/dm-crypt
full disk encryption is packaged using the raid tool.
>mounting ext filesystems
ext2 is available in ports.
>free(1)
it exists in a git repo someone wrote. why bother with free though lmao are you really that constrained for resources?
>lsblk
sysctl hw.disknames
disklabel
>proper virtualisation
qemu is in ports. vmm is strictly serial as is atm but it will be expanded.

you're not falling anyone you fucking monogloid. the reason noone replies to you anymore is because everyone's tired of writing a response. IMAGINE complaining that a linux compatibility layer doesn't exist in openbsd.

can someone redpill me on the "chromium is an invasive browser" meme because i haven't seen anyone explicitly mention any lines of code. it seems like the claim that google use telemetry on chromium users stems from the binaries being distributed with the source code, but that isn't the case since google don't supply those for openbsd.

>that amount of cope

It's paranoia. Chromium (or Iridium) is the best browser for OpenBSD.

1 strongly pledged (firefox is weakly pledged)
2 unveiled (firefox is not unveiled)
3 multiprocess architecture performs better (firefox runs like a pig on openbsd)
4 okay, no W^X yet, but it's coming soon, v8 just announced a jitless mode

>just don't use nvidia
>I should refrain from buying cutting edge hardware because OpenBSD is comparable to GNU/Linux in lower end hardware cases

I don't think this is a strong argument, user.

i mean the pasta is bullshit but you don't have to be like that.

openbsd does need a modern filesystem. i'm still holding out for hammer.

nvidia sucks but nouveau would be nice.

openbsd devs are not against bluetooth, it's just nobody has written the code. personally i'd love a security-focused bluetooth implementation so i could use wireless mouse, keyboard, and headphones.

wine would be neat. not sure if it'll ever happen though.

qemu is unaccelerated and slow as shit. vmm is pretty freaking cool though, but i can't blame normies for wanting virtualbox.

everything else in that post is complete bullshit as always though.

it doesn't seem to me like there's a technical advantage to running firefox in rendering performance, security and features.

it's not. but you shouldn't use nvidia because nvidia the company hates open source.

Attached: fuck.jpg (474x255, 10K)

I don't think that's the case. Their GPUs are used in supercomputers all over the world. All of the top 500 supercomputers run linux as of November last year.
Source on claims:
top500.org/list/2018/11/

>openbsd does need a modern filesystem
in terms of features, for everyday use unless you need versioning/replication do you really need anything other than ext/ufs? most people imho would say "no" because until recently noone had any complaints using apple's filesystem prior to afs.

>nvidia sucks
yeah you're right they do but if you can't use an os because of the lack of hardware support why is it a discussion about whether it'd be good for you? openbsd devs develop it for them. same reason why there's support for macbook pro 2017 but nothing for the other ones afaik.

>wine/qemu
i'm interested in how many people on this board can say they actually use wine for software other than itunes/games.

noone actually gives a fuck enough to implement it because it suits them fine. the lack of support for the latest graphics cards is because of the lack of hands to deal with it, not due to inherent limitations in the kernel.

i understand that when i say "why bother addressing lack of hardware support when criticizing an os" i'm implying extra content into what the faggot who posts that sonic oc wrote. but i think that if you're considering an os you should consider it for its userspace/kernel AFTER you consider whether it'd actually work on your system.

youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw

>bluetooth
theo has gone on the record dissing bluetooth. you're right that if someone stepped forward with a consistent and accessible implementation there would be some interest but i'd be leery because of culture.

I can't remember anything except this thread which is not so much dissing bluetooth as dissing bluetooth, usb, and everything else (you should hear what he thinks about firewire).
openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/netbt-Bluetooth-kernel-code-td231381.html

I'm familiar with the spat with nvidia. That story is from years ago though. I don't think it is like that today. While I still hold to that thought, I acknowledge that higher end stuff is more likely to get support, specifically because of Linux's popularity in academia coupled with academia's affinity for HPC oriented hardware. (Physics simulation, large scale numerical optimization, """machine learning,""" etc.)

>I don't think it is like that today.
It is still like that today. I don't get how you think Nvidia's prevalence on supercomputers means it's open source friendly. Have you even looked at CUDA?

i'm not a lincucksfag and I was just lurking this thread and wasn't going to reply, but your attempt at BTFOing him is fucking laughable, you brushing off graphics driver support like it's nothing important made my head hurt.

this seems like a balanced view. but how much of this code is distributed as blobs versus source?

can't remember what gave me this impression so this could be the case.

sure sven. i dismiss it because the "no nvidia hardware support" et al meme is a cheap copout by faggots who can't evaluate something without considering whether they can actually use it. people don't evaluate 9front this way so in a thread about "redpill me on bsd" since it's so black and white why do idiots harp it so much? if it doesn't support your hardware don't use it.

I code using CUDA for work, but I've never gone through the effort of looking through its source or even check if there is source available. If it really is that bad, I believe you. Relating to , I don't actually know the manner in which the GPU libraries are distributed. I guess I was only thinking about what works on my workstation rather than the actual actions of the company. I know a lot of companies/research groups don't give a crap and will insist on using Intel's compilers and MKL even though they are strictly harder to use than the GCC toolset, OpenMP, and Netlib's LAPACK + BLAS.

I tried switching from Arch after the CoC debacle. OpenBSD
>Is extremely clean and even more lightweight
>Networking is much easier (one config file per interface)
>Easy to install. Actually the easiest installer I've ever used
>Very stable
>Slower, especially on older hardware
>Much smaller package base; you might find it's missing something important to you
>Vidya/Steam support is nonexistent
>Some xore utils like fdisk work very differently on *BSD, coming from Linux

Attached: 1549927978489.png (700x700, 113K)

>Easy to install
Topkek
Ran through the instructions to a fucking T, finagled its pants-on-head-retarded shartitioning defaults, and in the end wouldn't boot. That would be fine if it had halfway decent docs though.

did you use gpt on a system where it's weird?
>halfway decent docs
what was missing for you?

The partition defaults are fine, except I usually make /usr/local bigger.

>is there much difference between using OpenBSD and a linux distrobution?
linux is modern, openbsd is not
if you like living in the 90s then openbsd is for you as you won't be able to use modern hardware and the software stakc is so out dated 90% of the web is out of your reach

ok this is epic

>security-focused distro
>no good virtualization / extended access controls
Ehh??

Attached: yuuka_shrugs_and_walks_away.gif (500x302, 581K)

>they have never and won't add bluetooth
They had Bluetooth support up until 5.6
>IMAGINE complaining that a linux compatibility layer doesn't exist in openbsd.
That also did exist and was nice to have but it's understandable that it was removed. Most didn't use it and it was poorly maintained, just like the Bluetooth stack.