Dumpster Dived Old Windows XP Machine

Found this beauty in a bin. The icons you can see on the desktop are basically what I've managed to get installed. Unfortunately I can't get Cygwin to install.

I've wiped all the old user data off it but kept the install. It didn't even have a password set. Was full of boring photos and shitty songs.

Got WIFI working on it at least.

What else can I do with this thing apart from listen to David Byrne's "Like Humans Do" for free? I think if I could have installed Cygwin I would have kept it but instead I'm going to shove gentoo on it.

Attached: supg.png (1280x768, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dependencywalker.com/
betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36763
magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
lazesoft.com/windows-key-finder/index.html
nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't know how I managed to fuck up pasting a new screenshot over an old one in paint, but I did it.

>try to launch cygwin
>this happens

Where is the "Not OK" button?

Attached: supg.png (1280x768, 45K)

Vintage pc gaymin?

Already done loads of that, bored with it for now.

I suppose gentoo it is.

Use it as a test bench for shady shit you download

Install GuixSD.

is cygwin even relevant anymore?

>Reaper
Mah nigga

Throw it back in the trash where it belongs.

install gentoo

It's the only modern DAW with XP support still in their latest version. I was impressed.

On my win7 machine I use Reason but I do like reaper for sticking on peoples machines so they can record stuff for free. It's only like a 15mb download as well, for so many features it's mindblowing.

Might actually do this, the machine is old enough there's probably full free driver support for it.

somebody should have saved Cygwin files which are 10 years old, those would work

Give it back, Jamal.

You would think.
I tried installing old versions. There was some ratty comment on the old mailing list basically saying "try this and use these mirrors if you must, but don't expect it to work. I can't be fucked supporting this".

I downloaded an old 32 bit version and used the mirrors as asked, but the error it is throwing is a library that is only available from Vista onwards.

Bloody annoying as I used to rock Cygwin on my XP machine backj in the day.

If you can find an old archive that's usable, I'll suck your internet cock.

There's no one to give it back to, it was literally left next to a bin in the rain.

Managed to install qBittorrent 32 bit version.
Says it only supports from 7 onwards but it's working fine.

Downloading Acid Pro 4 from 2001, which I used to use for mashups many years back.

This only applies to Apple products. niggers are too stupid to see value in old XP machines.

>socket 478
have fun i suppose

Attached: put her there partner.jpg (323x324, 33K)

overclock it to 4GHz

>I've wiped all the old user data
>boring photos and shitty songs.
this could have been a good thread

Attached: froggy.png (804x566, 27K)

Honestly it was a bunch of boring 60 year old fucks who shared the machine in a studio, there were no nudes and if there were you would not have wanted to see them. Browsing history was faceberg and that was pretty much it.

I've done threads where I buy old hard drives and recover/troll with them but there were zero lulz to be had here.

I've missed acid pro, since before Sony bought it and gayed it up. Things were simpler back then.

Attached: they call it aceeeed.png (1280x768, 72K)

>socket 478
If you're running an ASUS mobo you're lucky, they made socket 479 (Pentium M) to socket 478 adapters, you can run the far cooler and quieter Pentium Ms on a desktop. Pair that with a first generation R300 (Radeon 9000 series) and you got the anti housefire antithesis to a Prescott + NV30 (GeForce FX) of the time

Needs an older setup version, there’s a specific branch of Cygwin maintained for XP that you should be able to find.

I followed all instructions, and if I do so to the letter (using the only repo they say will work) I get this error.

Attached: nope.png (1280x768, 76K)

Well I'll be damned, I did find another mirror.

Will report back if it works.

exact same error. Fucking bollocks.

This is fucked. If I can't have bash shell, I'm not keeping this install.

Attached: nigger.png (1280x768, 53K)

Can't seem to coax the USB drive to work no matter what I do. Don't have a blank CD to but Linux installer on (if the CD drive even still works).

So trying the dreaded, and now officially unsupported, WUBI.

Attached: wubi.png (1280x768, 73K)

If the thing has a floppy drive you can use PLOP as a boot disk, alowing Live USBs to work. PLOP also works for CD drives, but considering your predicament I can understand why not.

Well it worked, and it's even made the system dual boot. I can rest happy now.

Attached: supg.png (1024x768, 138K)

Feels a bit dirty running Linux on NTFS filesystem though.

Run file recovery software and see what files previous owner had

Those dialog boxes look refreshing

I already had all the old files and they were boring as fuck so I deleted them. The hard drive is only 40GB and I want it all.

It had been used as recently as a month ago so it wasn't a time capsule or anything.

Most people have such boring lives.

I have never ever found anything interesting, even tried undeleting shit from drives, nothing.

It's always some photos of ugly kids growing up and shitty vacations, few work related documents and few files on some normie hobby like boats/hunting.

It's like people don't live online like "we" do.

dependencywalker.com/

>people are boring if they don't leave all their shit on a shitty old 40gb harddrive
people are infinitely fascinating, you just don't know how to talk it out of them

They may well be, but their computing lives aren't.

It's literally a core Win32 API function introduced in Vista.
Not only is the current setup of Cygwin built for Win7 only, but apparently all the packages too.

I agree on that but wherever that interesting fascinating side is it is not on their hard drive.

betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36763

>2 recycle bin icons

>what do
Realize u have a piece of shit and throw it in garbage

>Don't know how I managed to fuck up pasting a new screenshot over an old one in paint, but I did it.

sup op

Attached: wmp.png (1152x864, 506K)

Is that 98?
Poast screenshot of you browsing Jow Forums with 98

"Free" as winrar lol. Honestly it's the only daw I'm considering buying

install gnu/linux

winse 98 shat itself for a while, here the internets in win98se

Attached: internets.png (1152x864, 75K)

It's beautiful.

nah. msys/mingw is king.

why keep using an inferior product like reason? that shit is for plebs and musical lamers. reaper all day, thanks.
reaper is awesome.

Shut the fuck up you retarded faggot, Reason is the best DAW out there. It certainly pisses all over Reaper. Reaper doesn't even come with any decent baked in synths or fx. Reason is basically a modular rack on steroids VST OOTB.

You absolute monkey brain.

> best daw out there
> has appalling native midi support like ableton
what a faggot.

On the note of midi, which is the best one out there for midi support?

I dont pick up XP boxes anymore, even vista might get a miss if it looks like shit, last good find was a early HP micro server.

If you don't like reaper's default synths/fx, you can always code your own

Also currently shiposting from a Pentium4 on Win98se.

Very comfy but can't reply with Opera or Firefox on Win98

Attached: screenshot.jpg (1280x1024, 306K)

>Pentium 4

Enjoy your house fire cunt

Quite a based game selection you got there.

This is not Gentoo or GuixSD, OP.
WTF?????????

Thanks but not finished yet.
Now installing Medal of Honor Allied assault.
Have to install return to castle wolfenstein, driver, midtown madness, motocross madness, rune, hitman1, delta force and many more.

hey there

Attached: nigga.jpg (3200x1080, 496K)

>P4

Enjoy your housefire.

>Where is the "Not OK" button?

lolwut

I just remembered. Write down the Windows key from the OS and reinstall the operating system. Use a search engine for methods of retrieving the key. I recommend removing the old drive and installing on a fresh one in case you screw up.

Imagine not knowing these by heart:
magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
lazesoft.com/windows-key-finder/index.html
nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I haven't used Windows in years. Knowing it by heart is pretty pointless these days.

Man i missed froggy

>>Enjoy your housefire.
That's a Northwood, not a Prescott.

What the fuck are you talking about, Reason MIDI support is fucking amazing?
>On the note of midi, which is the best one out there for midi support?
Reason.

I can't get it to boot from USB, the BIOS is older than your mum. Only solution so far was using WUBI to install from inside windows.

That turned out to be a complete pile of shit that hangs if you ask it to do more than one thing at once, completely defeating the point.

I'm going to have to actually go to the shop and buy a blank CD tomorrow so I can burn an OS and fix this.

Try using this to boot from USB
plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

Attached: 64snkfjtril21.jpg (1079x1126, 203K)

Yeah, I saw that on my travels. Think I'll give it a go next.

Ok, let's see what happens on the reboot.

Attached: good luck.png (1280x768, 121K)

found an old core 2 duo system and and windows 98 Pentium 2 system yesterday. Ordered a vga to hdmi adapter and a power cable. Cant wait to test these oldies out

Well all that happened was it got to the boot of the USB Linux install (I think? It said unetbootin though and I don't remember using that so I think it was something plop was using) and had one option, "Default". Hitting it just resets the 10 second timer. If I let the timer run out, it just resets. Never boots.

This was after following trhe README that said just click "InstallToBoot.bat"

I'll load the full GUI program and see if I can break it trying something else.

Yeah plop just isn't working.
I'll get a blank CD tomorrow.

thats no xp

Attached: 1551947257814.jpg (382x504, 47K)