/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
Previous:

Attached: 1552510733320.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/LQQxBb#incompatibilities
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QjQnRJ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/FNprxr/gskill-aegis-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f43000c16d16gisb
youtube.com/watch?v=1BM0P7J1EPM
pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-300-series-am4-motherboard-3rd-gen-ryzen-backwards-compatible
pcpartpicker.com/list/Yv7BBb
pcpartpicker.com/list/ssmLNQ
craftmybox.com/build/knL7L5
techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/
youtube.com/watch?v=AUyF--fJaaM
pcpartpicker.com/list/HtCnRJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

thanks for the non shill thread user

APUs will rule all

uhuh, when, and for how long.

R8
pcpartpicker.com/list/LQQxBb#incompatibilities

Attached: 5788653.png (1090x719, 1.83M)

>No 9900K, the best 8 core CPU you can buy while being the most future proof Intel CPU

looks good to me, hope you're pairing it with 4k 60hz or 1440p 144hz.

Attached: APU.jpg (656x492, 22K)

Yep. 4K 60hz Samsung display.

what size?

I play a lot of Civilization 4, 5, and 6 on my 4k panel, but I originally had a 28" 4k panel that I returned for a 43" 4k because the 43" was MUCH more impressive for games like CIV.

28 inch but 43 does sound amazing.

at 28" you'll get a lot SMOOTHER looking images, but you'll miss out on the resolution as it scales it down to basically 1440p for all your text and GUIs.

Still will look nice, but for me personally it was kinda lame, hence the 43".

please, for the love of god don't go for 4k meme while sacrificing 120Hz

What's a good wifi card that can handle 100mbps fiber? I have a cheap-ass one that I got since I needed one real quick and that's all the store had, but my speedtests only give me 50mbps, and I only have half the download speed I had on my laptop.
Preferably under 50 yuros

Search for 802.11n and 802.11ac

Hello guys, a FUCKING LEAF here.

to be honest, I don't know much about PC building and have been wanted to build a new one for a while, After some brain storming with a friend I came up with this PC.ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QjQnRJ

Now my current piece of junk is like 10 years old at this point, I've ran it into the ground and back and I'm junking everything about it, including the monitor. So I was wondering if this PC could run games at 1440p 144hz? (I'm ok with not having every cool effects on and setting a few setting downs to high for competitive games.If there's no way I can, should I go 1080p 144hz or 1440p 60hz? Or really just make it even beefier? (The current budget is pretty much all I can spend, maybe another 200 leaf pesos but that's it.)

Oh yeah also what's a good CPU cooler that doesn't break bank?
Thank you frens

It does depend on the games you play. I can't imagine playing cs go for example sitting anywhere near a screen that big. That's why I like my 27" 4k screen. A much bigger 4k screen would be great for certain games though.

replace your PSU with Seasonic or SuperFlower
Consider getting 500GB ssd+1TB harddrive if your budget permits it.
Where is the Cooler for your CPU, 212hyper is a cheap option around 30$ noctua15 is a great option.
Motherboard needs to be looked into if you plan to OC.
Where is the RAM?!
Monitor wise 1080p 144hz TN is the baseline for gaming. Do not go 60hz, for the love of god do not.
TN is you want cheapest motion clarity, IPS if you want good colors but price jacks up fast.

Ultimate get something like TN/IPS, 1080p/1440p, 100Hz-144Hz

Am I retarded, or is this right

R7 1800X - 3.6
R7 2700X - 3.7, only 7% better bench
>one is 350
>other is 500 (AUD, if you're wondering)

Why the fuck would I get the 2700X for only 0.1 more? The 2700 not-X seems even worse value than the 1800X. How the fuck does the numbering even work here, should I go with the 1800X or is there a reason I need the newer ones? I'm pairing it with a 2060, if that means anything.

>replace your PSU with Seasonic or SuperFlower
Any recommended model?
>Consider getting 500GB ssd+1TB harddrive if your budget permits it.
Already got a crucial 500gb SSD, forgot to put it in
>Where is the Cooler for your CPU, 212hyper is a cheap option around 30$ noctua15 is a great option.
Heard good things about the 212hyper I'll go for that.
>Motherboard needs to be looked into if you plan to OC.
I wasn't sure about OCing since I've never done it and I wasn't sure how it worked and if there were any risks, any recommendation?
>Where is the RAM?!
Forgot to put it in. ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/FNprxr/gskill-aegis-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f43000c16d16gisb

Thank you for your help.

Redpill me on VA panels, i have always just hooked my pc up to tvs and never had any issues yet i never see anyone suggesting them, ips and tn sound fucking aweful compared to VA so why is it always tn or ips?

>Any recommended model?
Gold efficiency is most youl need in terms of price point. Other than that, no check yourself what you need and later run it by me again.
>Already got a crucial 500gb SSD, forgot to put it in
Put it in then.
>Heard good things about the 212hyper I'll go for that.
It's one of the most common entry coolers that is pretty good for it's price, there might be some that are slightly cheaper or slightly better by now. It's just a starting point.

>I wasn't sure about OCing since I've never done it and I wasn't sure how it worked and if there were any risks, any recommendation?
It's relatively easy to OC a CPU. You just need good power delivery (PSU and motherboard with enough VRM phases)
Good cooling, and not going over over certain voltages. Again you can read up on it it's easy enough, more of a question of your supporting hardware.

>Forgot to put it in
Common lad.....
As for the ram being 3000Mhz, as far as I know you can't overclock the memory to that speed on B360 board. You can though tighten the CAS latency on it and keep it at "stock" frequency at 2666 which also nets you benefits in perfroamance (but generally RAM OC and timings are the most difficult of all)
Either you need a Z motherboard to get the ram to go past 2666 or well, you don't get higher rated ram(if you don't plan to instead of overclocking the frequency to just tighten the timings)

>used to play on a 60HZ 1440p panel with no adaptive sync
>Was used to it, but got spoiled by my buddy's G-sync panel (there was no free/G-sync compatibility then)
>Buy a 165HZ 1440p G-sync panel for myself and retire my old 60HZ panel to secondary monitor
>Secondary monitor is just for monitoring software, music, etc
>Games suffer from massive fps drops and stutters if I have a YouTube video playing on the 60HZ monitor with a game on the 165HZ monitor

God damnit

Attached: 1528293961877.gif (400x225, 1.17M)

>Redpill me on VA panels,
Terrible for gaming. Great for watching movies.
For gaming TN/IPS>VA
For movies VA/IPS>TN
For color related work IPS
IPS and VA are more expensive as well.

>ips and tn sound fucking aweful compared to VA so why is it always tn or ips?
Dear lad, it's like a person who has always played at 30fps and tells you "I don't see what the big deal is about 60 fps or 120fps)

The big take away here is you can EASILY compare IPS, VA, TN in color accuracy or contrast from a still image, any retard can do that.
But you can't compare motion clarity as easily, or how responsive(lack of delay) a monitor has when interacting with it in a game and so on.

Since you are in the "ignorance is bliss zone" you might be able to use a VA for gaming. But I guarantee that if you had a go at an actually responsive and clear monitor for gaming at 120/144hz youd never go back.
Here watch this as well youtube.com/watch?v=1BM0P7J1EPM

There are other things to consider,
1) you mentioned only stock clocks, but boost clocks differ greatly (4.0 vs 4.3)
2) 1000 series are awful overclockers (2000 are not much better tho, but are still better)
>but also
3) 2700x is ~10% faster in synthetics, and ~7% faster in single thread - and general rule of the thumb is that if the difference is less than 10% in synthetics, you won't notice it in real life use
4) R5 2600 destroys them both in value, heat, and power consumption

My advice, buy a good x470 mobo (32bit to support 3000 series microcode update) and 2600 or 1800x, then after a few years throw in the flagship 3000 and that should set you for almost a decade, depending on your needs

Not the user you're responding to but what do you mean "32-bit"? I have an Asus X370 Crosshair VI. Would this be able to receive the microcode update for Ryzen 3xxx?

o shit, it's actually 11% single thread difference...

This was really well thought-out, thank you! I think I'm going to go with the 1800x for now with intention to replace it with a 3000 series in a few years, as you said.

>pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-300-series-am4-motherboard-3rd-gen-ryzen-backwards-compatible
Because AMD are so great with their backwards and forwards compatibility, there isn't enough space in AM4 300 series boards (including X370) to fit all the info for the upcoming processors, there's just too many of them being compatible with AM4 platform.

You should check that with Asus when Ryzen 3000 hits the market. My guess is they will omit some CPUs they deem not worthy for upgrading to

Ah ok. I figured as much. I intended to buy a top tier X570 board anyway. Any news on the 3xxx series? Are the rumors of 12c24t on AM4 true? I also heard whispers of 16c32t on AM4 (I doubt it).

Thanks for the detailed response user, i might give ips a go

There was an AMD event yesterday, dunno if they talked about them. My tech yt account seems tame, so i guess not much.

so now that RTX is enabled on old GTX (but my 1050Ti) even if at a cost of 75% FPS, are we gonna see shit indie games with RTX now?

Possibly. I wouldn't see why not. And there's no reason to hate Ray tracing. It's pretty impressive how it will effect game graphics and the poor performance is only due to the tech in games being so new. Take a look at the ray tracing Crytek demo that was shown. That was done using a Vega 56 and they were getting smooth 60+ fps

It's a well-documented problem. You could disable hardware acceleration for your browser to 'fix' it.

Awesome. I hope it fixed it. Otherwise I'm stuck with just alt-tabbing when I want to change something as opposed to just moving my mouse over

Yeah I have a 27" 1440p 144hz for csgo.

43" 4k is used on the games best suited for it

There are some VA panels that are solid for gaming but it's a handful of panels out of the dozens on the market, so if you don't know what you're looking for, IPS or TN are safe bets

What if i want to play video games and also do video editing work that requires good colors? I always thought IPS was ideal.

He literally says for color work, get IPS

>future proof
>when zen2 is about to make 32c64t consumer mainstream

Lmao@these incels

Nevermind it makes sense. What monitor do I go with? Sceptre? LG? I am on a budget but I am willing to spend for good value. I kind of think my Dell monitor is not so good despite being 60htz, Full HD IPS.

>Intel, the company with more security holes and flaws with each passing day baked right into the silicon itself
>Their flagship being literally nothing but MOAR COARS, MOAR CLOCK SPEED without a single architecture tweak
>The house fire incarnate
>Being any sort of future proof
Have fun paying through the nose when your motherboard's VRMs blow up and you need an EXACT chipset match to even have your chip run because Intel likes locking put past CPUs on new boards. (even if they share the same fucking socket)

Dell makes cheap shit and expensive good stuff.

If you've got the budget, feel is a fantastic option.

LG isn't terrible. Spectre is meh

>Spectre
Sceptre

Shitty phone

Any examples of those VA panels?

Any reccomendations for a super cheap passively cooled graphics card to power a second monitor?

I don't have any VGA ports on my main GPU or MOBO connectors but I have an old dell panel I want to mount purely for terminal and Jow Forums, and I figured that buying a gpu with VGA would be way cheaper than buying a more modern 2nd monitor

Mpg27cq

It's got somewhat low contrast ratio and color accuracy for VA, though still ~2500:1 contrast, so not horrible. But it's gaming performance is very respectable for a VA panel, I had no problems switching to it from a 144hz 1080p Asus TN panel

MSI GT710 1GB version. It's passively cooled, has DVI, HDMI, and VGA. It's $40 brand new on Newegg. If you want even cheaper than that, look around in eBay for a GT210 or something.

Thanks breh, that looks pretty much perfect

No problem. It's a true 1 slot passive card too unlike many of the newer ones whose heatsink is 1.5 slots. The card fits neatly in my server right above my SAS card which was a problem before due to how close the PCIe slots are. Pic related. I have it hooked to my 4K TV for when I'm watching stuff in the living room. Does 4k 30HZ over HDMI easy

Attached: ServerNewPSU.jpg (2048x1637, 1.41M)

Thanks for posting my OP

Personally I'd say they worth it because then your PC isn't a brick if your graphics card dies, or for troubleshooting during setup

who else /waiting for zen 2/ but if ayymd fails to deliver going intel even if getting jewed beyond belief here!?

Attached: blade-runner-2049-trailer-three-001.jpg (800x480, 86K)

Me. I currently have a Ryzen 1700X in an Asus CH6 X370 board. Overclocked to 3.8GHz. the chip is great, but lack of single core is definitely felt in some games especially with my 2080Ti and 165HZ monitor. Really hoping Ryzen 3xxx brings better single core performance

Still on Z87+4690K here, really starting to feel the limitations of 8GB RAM though. Will probably move to a newer platform when(if) I get my planned Powermac G5 casemod done.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Yv7BBb

Should I go with a motherboard that has Type C instead?

Why does the connector type matter? It's not like usb to type c cables are hard to come by.

R8 my build.

2x EPYC 7281
Supermicro MBD-H11DSI
4x16GB DDR4 2666
Radeon WX7100

The goal is to go full retard with upgradeability options as I get cash.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ssmLNQ

This is my current, 5ish year old setup.
I want a new graphics card, but I'm sure which one? 4k would be nice, but then I'd need a new monitor too.

Suggestions?

Attached: 2019_03_19_17_19_34_Window.png (1154x732, 63K)

4K is still prohibitively expensive to get decent frames

1440p is the sweet spot at the minute, 1440p @ 100+ fps if you've got big bucks, although at high frame rates your mobo and CPU are going to bottleneck

That's what I was thinking. But it's $25 difference between an MSI and Asus B360 board and I didn't know if it was worth it

2080 ti if u gonna go full retard 4k (and be bottlenecked by cpu)

else 1660&ti/2060/v56 (if cheap) for bang per bucko

Also consider the new 9th gen F chips which are significantly cheaper. Try ebay.

go 1440p 100hz and get a gtx2070. you're gonna hit a cpu bottleneck but that will give you a lot of headroom for when you want to upgrade everything else

>lack of single core
this is what I fear

but if the 3600x is 8c and priced like a 2600x with cheap mobos to go with it maybe the value will be too good not to..

Budget is 350€ maximum, so a 2080ti is way out of the question.

I'm a bit out of the loop regarding CPUs to be honest. Could I upgrade the CPU with the same motherboard? Or is it too old?

>Every picosecond from now on, just wait!
You do know that people will still buy Intel, right?
>Le only Intel does have security holes, just trust AMD saying they don't have any!
>Literally fixed hardware related security flawes AND YET still better than AMD
>Pump 1.5 V into the CPU and wondering why it's hot while a 2700X needs 1.45 Volts for fucking 4.3 Ghz but that's ok!
>Implying it isn't the most future proof CPU since 10nm won't come until late 2019/beginning 2020
What are you actually hoping for when shilling for (free lmao) AMD? Intel is still selling more and performing better.

Attached: 395caa14b76d8ef4bc692f0c1c974fa75dfb04c63ac2926dce5d2ded93005120.png (720x454, 126K)

Currently have a R5 1600, looking to upgrade to something that will let my 2060 run free.

Should I wait for Ryzen gen 3 or do you have a recommendation?

Attached: 1551554209035.jpg (1432x1757, 1.2M)

I mean don't get it twisted. First gen Ryzen has single core IPC of Haswell/Devil's Canyon at much lower clocks. So I'm hoping 7nm Ryzen can get at least stock Sky/Kabylake single core. If push comes to shove, I'll probably get a 6 core i5 solely for gaming, and keep my 1700X as a dedicated encoding machine. Ryzen multi-core is bar none and Intel's hyper threading doesn't hold a candle to AMD's implementation of SMT in regards to scaling.
Your chip is as good as you could get for your socket. Overclock if you haven't already assuming your motherboard and cooling solution are up to the challenge. Otherwise you're looking at new CPU, board, and RAM. Don't though. For a mid range card like up to the non Ti 2080, the 4790k is still more than capable.

>350€ maximum
so 1660 ti or a 2060 if stretching a bit on sale if maybe. or vega 56 on sale too.

>upgrade the CPU
xeons maybe? Idk

>Should I wait for Ryzen gen 3
yes

I think I'll go with the Vega 56. Is MSI still good or should I go with something else?

>2160p (4K)
>>RTX 2080 - standard
>>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive
Is it really worth it to go 2080Ti? I got the money but not enough not to be buttblasted if disappointed.

MSI is OK. Try to get Sapphire or XFX if they're similar in price.

desu I'd wait a bit on the CPU for Ryzen 3rd gen, your current will be a bit of a bottleneck but its not that bad and even if you'd prefer to go for Intel the Ryzen release should knock their prices down a bit

>Is it really worth it to go 2080Ti?
do you shit cash? are you a baller? do you literally game 24/7!?

>I got the money but not enough not to be buttblasted if disappointed.
im having doubts..

Alright. Thx.

another thing, you gonna be pretty fucking pissed if u get artifacting and having to RMA the card (maybe multiple times)

last I heard was hynix ram was prob but samsung ok.. good luck :^)

Scratch that, I can't wait for gen 3. Just tell me what to buy right now

Attached: 1547691154900.jpg (970x705, 173K)

It's not 2006 anymore, not everyone on here is barely getting by with neetbucks.
I'm 95% sure of going non ti 2080 though.

im gonna say futureproof is ideal

altho you could already consider the sli thing for 2080, also consider you would need a second 2080 and a 700 dollar connector

im personally waiting on 21xx. hoping something comes out of it asides "hurr bigger and expensevier" but if theres any indicative of it, the RTX tecnology leaking to GTX cards means whatever the 21xx series get, so will the 20xx

The higher end models of the 2080Ti all have Samung modules and are A-OK. It was the founders and cheaper models using Hynix modules that we're dying. I have an EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra
If you have the money, there is no better. Top tier performance has a matching price especially because AMD has no viable choice for top end. I have my 2080Ti paired with a 165HZ G-sync panel and it's a great experience.

so all non neets are buying $1500 gpus now? daym son

>non ti 2080
thats the shittiest one. literally less ram than a 1080ti, same performance 2 years later and for same or increased price... atleast with a 2080 ti u are getting improved performance

>sli
sli meme is dead mane

craftmybox.com/build/knL7L5

thoughts?

current hardware is 4690, 12gb ddr3, 970, S7216DG (1440p 144hz)
will it be enough of an upgrade? is it worth it?
anything i should swap?

well what u gonna buy, either a 2600/2700 which will be a bit better but not much or worth it

or change whole system to incel for alot more ?!

I have that CPU, RAM and M.2 drive, all are quite good, but I kind of wished I had went with Ryzen because the intel premium is fucking painful this gen

Those Corsair PSU's are very hit or miss in my experience, I had one and it worked fine but made a lot of very annoying electric gurgle from cheap ass chinese caps

isn't (((intel))) still the goto for gaming? i really wanted zen2 but its still not even in the horizon

should i just get the 2080 and wait for it? wouldnt my 4690 bottleneck the fuck out of a 2080?

tbqh only matter if you want more that 60hz

gpu matters a lot more and until you reach the chokepoint amd is the cheaper option. not sure about it supporting 2080ti, but im certain of it

Bros, since Bruce had trouble getting on here - I want to take control over my internet access from my ISP

I have VPN but configured on PC and use adhoc, and PC and devices need configuring separately as my (((ISP))) won't let me change DNS setting on the stock router etc

Is a small pfsense box worth it or overkill? and what spec is needed to run this with mild VPN use?

Was going down the DDWRT route as i've used that before but not sure it will cope with todays speeds/data/device numbers.

Attached: PfSense_logo.png (3060x900, 81K)

Those Brazil prices are fucked. I have a similar price in the UK with a 2080ti and an additional storage HDD.

within the next 10 years. Mark my word, they start of it will be the Matisse-based APUs.
Nvidia is scared af of APUs. It's why the GPP existed. Nvidia got scared af at the possibility of the Kaby Lake G parts taking over laptops.

AMD shills at it again, posting this to warn any new people.
techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/
youtube.com/watch?v=AUyF--fJaaM

Attached: in case of AMD shills 10.jpg (3336x1896, 1.07M)

Attached: In case of AMD shill 2.jpg (2620x3416, 1.74M)

pcpartpicker.com/list/HtCnRJ

Thoughts? The PSU i'll be using is Seasonic S12II 450 EVO since it doesn't show up on the website. It got a nice discount, it's a good PSU right? People always say you can't go wrong with Seasonic

Seasonic and Superflower are TOP TIER brands for PSU, so much so that other brands buy from them and rebrand it.
However I can't personally vouch for every single model. Check some reviews specific to what ever model you are getting.

Attached: in case of intel shills 2.png (3200x3416, 3.1M)

>memes and buzzwords as a comeback
you realize this wont work, right? People can actually check the sources and you are powerless to stop them.

too much money too little brain tier

Best brands for watercooling?

Am I missing something in the OP? I don't see the 8400 recommended anywhere. Are you so triggered from the 8700k that you're posting a completely unrelated argument? Seriously what the fuck are you doing? Are you so butt-blasted that you had to make a second general too?