Why does every developer and their mother use Electron when this exists?

Why does every developer and their mother use Electron when this exists?

Attached: images.png (211x238, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.qt.io/Language_Bindings
github.com/status-im/react-native-desktop
vlang.io/
volt-app.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why the fuck does electron run on localhost?

Attached: 8941BA81F52A47C18C6E117FB786FA76.jpg (720x1280, 158K)

Because Qt UIs are garbage.

Because the vast majority of programmers only know how to work with web tech.

Why use electron when xlib exists?

because fuck yeah I like my 200M hello world program #progressive #ifuckinglovescience

Because C++ is garbage.

Found the tranny.

Wrong pic btw

Attached: GTK.png (250x261, 24K)

c++ is hard to use and learn, electron exists to make creating desktop apps easily and not having to deal with useless shit like pointers and memory

What does language preference have to do with gender preference? Transphobic bigot.

you won't have problems using electron until you have to deploy your app.
Nobody else than devs and gamers have the luxury to waste 300 MB to run a simple app.

most smartphones since 2016 have 32GB memory, not to mention the average computer user's storage capacity is around 800GB. Nobody in the world still uses 1.5GB storage devices
>nobody else than devs and gamers

What framework would you say is the easiest to work with for beginners?

Attached: 1534311739192.gif (326x281, 170K)

Have you tried using KDE? You would understand why

>what framework
specifiy pls
ASP.NET? React? Spring?

Anything for creating GUI's across Linux/Mac/Windows I guess

Depends which language you use. Swing for Java, Electron for JS, etc.

RENT
FREE

Attached: 1552937163937.jpg (589x939, 157K)

Because C++ is a monstruosity that just keeps growing without a single try to trim and maintain it.
I dealt with it for years and its so fucking frustrating when something breaks and you have to debug the 10th layer of templates that I almost stopped programing completelly.
Now I use modern languages and my life is much better.

/thread

And now, compare this to the layman's approach to using a personal computer. If you'll snap back to reality, most people don't a tonne of shit onto the computer and fill up the entire drive. Then they ever why their computer runs so slow. Or, the download every single Spotify song they love and their entire hard drive storage capacity is gone. This notion that "we have so much space to use" is retarded. It assumes everyone knows to free up as much storage space as possible. All they have is RAM which will constantly have to be overwritten with the next fucking shit while the rest is written back to system memory.

Okay thanks, I'll have to do some research

there are binds for other languages
wiki.qt.io/Language_Bindings

C++ is garbage. On top of that, the MOC gets in the way of creating language bindings. If you want to use Qt, you use the archaic shitshow that is C++

Lack of documentation and features. Sometimes exposes you to the sheer nastiness of C.

How do decipher

The learning curve is pretty high. You can't just copy-paste codes out of StackOverflow and get things working.
Despite the high learning curve, Qt is pretty fun desu. I did my own app back when BB10 was still a thing. Too bad I didn't get it published in their app store.

>MOC gets in the way of creating language bindings
and sometimes they don't do their job right, and it can be quite frustrating.

Also forgot to attach pic for

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 21.35.08.png (796x1060, 192K)

>C++ is garbage.

>Javascript: hold my memes

Attached: memelang.png (743x342, 6K)

I don't see any reason to create native apps anymore. The only exception being having a great web browser.

QML, which is a scripting language built on top of Qt where you can call C++ code (and C++ code can call QML functions), is JavaScript. You know that right?

> i don't
good for you, faggot. enjoy your bloated piles of shit that needs many megabytes of libraries just to open a fucking window.

typeof anonymous object a != typeof anonymous object b
dang! what a meme language indeed friend
(also, good job trying to trick people into thinking the indentation mattered there)

foo returns undefined because there's no value in the same line of the return statement.

Discord Tranny

The easiest thing to work with is by far windows forms. I was spoiled by having my first GUI experience in C# and winforms. Only WPF comes close to how comfy it is (WPF brings shitloads of features that add complexity, but are sometimes worth it), and that's another Windows-only framework.
Anyone learning GUI design just has no clue how overcomplicated HTML/CSS/JavaScript is, how annoying Swing is, how borderline unusable qt is, etc. Nothing compares to dropping a few panels and controls onto a form, setting docks, and having a full usable UI in an hour.

I keep waiting for something to come along and give us that simple power in a cross platform package, but the more time passes the further we get away.

Holy shit, he or she?

cause qt aint free and jamalscript is easier to get job done

>caring for the transphobic shit on anonymous board
You and you kind are not welcome here

>qt aint free
define free

By not staying on this board
Also rope is good

GPL

Free as in free, no misleading word tricks.

Qt is free as in freedom.

all the various game launchers use qt if that counts for anything

its aint free for commercial use

Isn't Qt GPL licensed?

exactly gpl is shit license.

Because it's only free if you open source your software. Because it's shit and a drag to work with compared to making UIs in CSS. Because it's super easy to make software in javascript using Nodejs. Because electron software is cross platform simply by using the precompiled binaries. Probably many other reason but those where the ones that immediately came to mind

That's what I'm saying. Basically a death sentence for any project that wants to be used. It blows my mind that people pretend like it's somehow a free license when it often has more lines of clauses than projects do lines of code.

Yet millions use electron software like Discord. Also, it's really simple to convert your electron app into a PWA for mobile users

because thats like soooo 2006. Dont you know that code has an expiration date just like bread or milk?

>its aint free for commercial use
Not strictly true. You can sell support for your commercial GPL program.

Functional programming is just right for UI programming. Procedural programming for UIs is complete and utter torture.
Pair that with language features like async / await (which C++ is about to get as well, but not yet) to properly handle asynchronous programming and add instant compiles and you get something vastly preferable to using C++/Qt.
That being said, Electron is also retarded.
I wonder how github.com/status-im/react-native-desktop performs.

Take a look at flutter, its looking nice

Yeah it looks good, better than webshit at least, but Dart is DOA and being mobile-only kills it for real applications.

what can i use to progarmm a high quality gui... need some advice how a professional gui is programmed

use PyQt if you're a brainlet

because QML is not as powerful as CSS+DOM is

You can sell gpl programs

Please be a guy please be a guy please be a guy

What are some functional libs for gui. All i know is that haskell has incomplete binds to gtk, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a functional language

Over $5000 dollars per developer for comercial apps

>Over $5000 dollars per developer for comercial apps
It's free for startups until you make $100k.

And Gtk is better how?

Even Linus Torvalds, who hates C++, switched from Gtk to Qt for Subsurface because Gtk turned out to be nearly unmaintainable and required too much custom code for basic UI.

Because once the web adds all the features you get from electron, like proper filesystem storage apis, you can just drop electron and go back to a progressive webapp. Can't do that with Qt

I want to sell a closed-source program. not support for it.

Brainletitis

I want to sell slaves, but I guess life is sometimes unfair and you can not get all that you want

Not sure what you're saying but I'm not doing anything for free. I don't recognise the imaginary entitlement of people to just own everything for free.

what a tease

Because they are web developers.

I guess vlang and the GUIs you can built with it would be interesting to you:
vlang.io/
volt-app.com/

Plus you can't easily convert Qt to a web app/website. Reusability of code is key to the modern economy.
/thread

man, i wanna put my usb inside that thing.

mainly code re-usability and hype.

Nothing wrong to say about Qt, it was a great learning experience back then. But since a lot of devs have gone full blown web these framework sort of fell off of goto.

it actually matters here though, since line ending is treated as the end of a command whenever legal, so foo returns null
on the other hand, people who put the opening bracket on the next line deserve all the bugs they get from that

We're talking about Electron, not GTK. Pay attention, user.

Why do people shill qt bloat when its not the best and has license issues?

What else can run on mac, windows, and linux?

The fuck is that?

Lots of frameworks and toolkits if they have bindings, depending on the language. Do you not know search engines exist, or are you having difficulties searching effectively?

>lots
Riiight. Why would I not use one of the best documented ones, though?

>useless shit like pointers and memory

Attached: spotify.png (597x161, 101K)

What's the problem??? Are you running 100 apps at once?

>Qt is pretty fun
It is. Overloading QPainter's draw method is easily done once you get used to it and you can then create some unique UI's.

Probably you don't know it exists because you're lazy and want to be spoonfeed. Anyway enjoy being confined to a tiny subset of platforms and languages.

imgui
it needs a bit more polishing though

Hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

QML is more like Elm, since it is a purely functional language.

Based retard playing off the meme, what a good sport.

You can literally use python to glue together a qt app. Its fairly usable too(it is sure better than the ironically named electron)

You are joking right? Or maybe you cant read, I cant tell

Thats not what he said dipshit
What the fuck, who are you people? You can easily monetize an open source project, but thats besides the point which is that everybody who is older than 20 knows this.

What's the problem? Unused RAM is wasted RAM

>Missing the opportunity of calling your product Cutie Pie

And for this reason open sores is doomed to fail.