/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1523100908338.gif (512x384, 2.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/ophaqn.webm
github.com/scriptkitties/fglt
streamlink.github.io/cli.html#cmdoption-record-and-pipe
u.teknik.io/WCt0I.webm
stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
stallman.org/guantanamero.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ddrescue,
github.com/ranger/ranger/wiki/Image-Previews
youtube.com/watch?v=jTpK-bNZiA4
hydrusnetwork.github.io/hydrus/help/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ubuntu is the best distro.

Attached: mark.png (522x381, 223K)

This
When will Jow Forums fags learn?

Anyone have this issue/know a fix?

Trying Debian with XFCE, and it doesn't seem like xfce is recognizing my second monitor. It just shows a single display. Both monitors are running.

>Where in the world is Richard Stallman?
Mar 29, 2019 04:30 PM Rennes, France Event Richard Stallman - "Free Software in Ethics and in Practice" (Rennes, France)
Apr 02, 2019 06:00 PM Anthy-sur-Leman, France Event Troff document (with manpage macros) Richard Stallman - « Logiciels libres, société libre » (Anthy-sur-Leman, France)
Apr 04, 2019 06:00 PM Geneva, Switzerland Event Octet Stream Richard Stallman à Genève, Suisse (Geneva, Switzerland)
Apr 05, 2019 03:45 PM Geneva, Switzerland Event Octet Stream Richard Stallman à Genève, Suisse (Geneva, Switzerland)
Apr 06, 2019 05:30 PM Grandvaux, Switzerland Event Richard Stallman à Grandvaux, Suisse (Grandvaux, Switzerland)
Apr 09, 2019 05:15 PM Bern, Switzerland Event Richard Stallman - "Free Software, Free Society" (Bern, Switzerland)
Apr 11, 2019 06:00 PM Lausanne, Switzerland Event Richard Stallman à Lausanne, Suisse (Lausanne, Switzerland)

my.mixtape.moe/ophaqn.webm

Attached: 1493348680939.jpg (574x861, 453K)

install gentoo

Ubuntu is for plebs who can't install Debian.

Is MX Linux a good alternative to Ubuntu and Mint?

Debian is for plebs who are too deprecated for Fedora

>github.com/scriptkitties/fglt
>latest commkit 1 year ago
Did it died dead?

filtered

Please stop tripfagging. This isn't Reddit.

Cool :^)
no

Moving my question here.

Is there a WM/DE to rival i3?
One simple of i3 that keeps me hooked on it is it's ability to manipulate and navigate containers and windows within them. Not fancy golden ratio tiling layouts, not tags or whatever, just the ability to open several windows in tabbed mode and precisely switch to the right or to the left.
KDE have option named like that, but that's BS, because it only works for non-maximized windows, and for those, it just iterates over them. Very useful when you have more than 2 windows, yeah. And no, using i3 in KDE works like shite.
BSPWM doesn't even have tabbed windows, only lens mode or something like that, or not bspwm, I don't care, but this mode requires different buttons to switch windows, which is stupid, and you don't even see window titles.
So is there anything besides i3 or sway for me?

Attached: 1519797949010.jpg (482x549, 57K)

I want to open a stream in mpv.
I want to record this stream.
I do not want to watch this stream as it happens.
I do not want mpv on my main workspace.
How do i put mpv in a workspace that is not being looked at and have it record the window?

>he uses zsh to get a colored PS1

Attached: 1553022628091.jpg (413x395, 15K)

look into streamlink and set up the right command for it.
streamlink.github.io/cli.html#cmdoption-record-and-pipe

>he uses arch because you can only rice arch

It does not work for the website i want to use, and they refuse to add the website

>my.mixtape.moe/ophaqn.webm
He's cute.

Try youtube-d. It supports mote websites you may imagine.

Tfw pic related was literally me two days ago

Please stick to answering my question, not bringing up things i have already tired before I made a post.
If what i want cannot be obtained in any way, please state that, please do not offer unwanted answers to a question i did not ask

I want to thank you guys for all the help I received ITT. You helped me set up my distro, helped me with shell scripting and taught me to value my freedom. Thank you for being here.

You're awesome.

I know that mint is based off of ubuntu, so software that can be installed on ubuntu can be installed on mint.
My question is: can all linux software be run on any distro, or are there major categories that can only run on certain distros? For example, there could be software in the Ubuntu category that can only run on ubuntu and distros based on it, like mint.
If there are these major categories, then what are they?

stop being a little shit no one owes you a thing, why you expect us to cater to your whims is beyond me..
anyway if you really want to put the work into it instead, find out how to get whatever shitty stream you want onto mpv, then just use ffmpeg to record it. documentation is there if you don't want unwanted answers given to you.

They didn't help with shit

Fuck these niggas

I didnt tell you to come to this thread and write a comment, you willingly did that. I did not ask a question you are giving answers too. If what i posted cannot be done, clearly state that. Do not go off on a tangent about things i simply did not ask in my post.

Show me any documentation in ffmpeg or mpv that interacts with out of buffer video windows in X11. Ill wait

May the freedom be with you.

Attached: 1552172228355.png (488x428, 166K)

normally you can search the repository of your distro on their website before installing but if it isn't in the repo you can in most cases install from source, in some distros some things work better thou

Attached: 1534541156931.jpg (480x360, 19K)

mpv "`ls | dmenu`"
Is this correct way to pick what to watch from current directory with dmenu? Seems to work with spaces in filenames but maybe there are some other things I forgot about.

u.teknik.io/WCt0I.webm

Have some actually good rms vibes: stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
Lyrics: stallman.org/guantanamero.html

Looking at moving to Void or Calculate as I can't stand Arch anymore. Any Anons have opinions on the two before I set up test vms?
t. a shit poster form /lit/ that is learning programming and procrastinates by playing videa

Sway is i3 for Wayland with some extra features. It's also compatible with i3 for easy migration.

Attached: 1506430902418-a.gif (540x540, 1008K)

now you're procrastinating by distrohopping instead

you can install the same programming tools on any distro, the only difference is how up-to-date the distro's packages are

Attached: 1447812306003.png (440x615, 400K)

delete your meme

Attached: z.jpg (1280x1014, 110K)

I'm trying to recover a hdd with ddrescue by following wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ddrescue, the first run finished in about one day and stopped at 98%, but the second run on the bad blocks is telling me 15 days remaining with -r3 and 6 days without the -r flag, currently at 99.86%.
Is it normal to get such a big remaining time?
Is the hdd fucked? I was thinking about formatting and restoring from the backup since the hdd worked on linux but not on windows.
I really have no experience on this.

whats more prone to break things? updating rolling release distro (like manjaro) or upgrading point release distro (like from xubuntu 18.04 to 19.04)?

Absolutely no doubt. Switch as soon as possible

It's not an "alternative" is WAY BETTER for home computing.
I personally use AntiX for home (no systemd). MX should have systemd installed but switched off.
For home use is the best I've ever tried (And I've tried from 2010 to now a lot of distros including ubuntu debian arch mx mint)
by far the best you can choose.
For scientific purpose I suggest arch or if you have a 32bit computer debian)

GNU

Yes/No it depends on how the distro is structured and how the programs you're gonna install works.
If they're simple bash scripts maybe yes.
Packet managers, services, systemd or dbus and a lot of things (programs used by the distro) differs from one distro to another. Most distros based on another one support the software of that one.

Point release 100%
every time i update my debian I'm scared

I feel that a distro that keeps you up to date daily is more stable than jumping releases, but less stable than LTS. If something breaks in rolling, you can usually identify and roll back the changes quickly.

What about a machine that's updated rarely, specifically for someone elderly and not very tech apt?

LTS and selectively update the web browser only. Disable the start menu, just have it auto load firefox.

It depends on the user. If you're a beginner or consider youself retarded, start Ubuntu., otherwise follow the news of your rolling distro and use the package manager intelligent

Attached: 15524061448240.png (1476x736, 223K)

if you have the original repository and you never touch them (sources.list in case of apt-get) it SHOULD go well. You've to upgrade at least one time every month if you use systemd this could damage your system so it's better to update every week. I think systemd goes well with rolling release (and upgrading at least one time every week) if you want a point release i suggest you to use MX (see a bove) or any distro that doesn't use systemd

Why are windows converts sometimes scared of bleeding edge distros breaking on updates when Windows is the most bleeding edge OS, forced system updates and user programs either autoupdate or nag you to update to new version before even some archfag flags package as outdated in the repo?

Right but instead of Ubuntu (I suggest you to NEVER use ubutnu) use Debian (systemd) or MX/AntiX(dbus)

>David Ramli: Why did you choose to name your free software system GNU?

>Richard Stallman: Because it’s funny. And since we announced the movement in 1983, which was 27 years ago, to call it the new system would be extremely misleading

Attached: 1550499438441.jpg (548x551, 220K)

Newshit here.

How does one make ranger display ascii art of the selected image in the preview window? Also how the fuck do you download extra fonts and icon styles on mint? Every detailed process I find online regarding that doesn't work.

Last question. Where do you guys get your fonts/icons?

I don't hate windows because its against free software or any philosofical bullshit but for this:
> You cannot edit source code of the modules
> Forced update (Why in the world should I be slave of my os?)
> difficulty to implements program and modules
> 666% bloatware
> bill gaytes masturbaytes to my photos

is that webm on switzerland?

depends on your desktop enviroment
I never used Mint so I don't know but for almost every de there are sites containing icon pack and themes (or styles).

The webm is pretty old. RMS is 66 years now and going full gray.

Who will do RMS job when he's gone? OMG RMS must stay alive another 50 years

>Install Lutris
>get duplicate games every time it runs

>install dc-controller
>fucks up half the time

Not to mention that it freezes after a day of up time.
fuck Arch and fuck sysd

because they would have to troubleshoot them self, in a terminal. that's scary if you are in an entirely new OS.
maybe that's just me, growing up using win95/early xp (considering that winVista and 8 would need you to fix something sooner or later it could be the point i'm trying to make isn't valid)

fug u too man, wtf

ranger displays images not ascii, the most common method is w3m (in debian w3m-img)
github.com/ranger/ranger/wiki/Image-Previews

install ubuntu

Attached: *snap*.png (720x720, 384K)

>SIGTERM doesn't work and have to SIGKILL

Attached: d86f06c6d9d176a8c7a903de1e9fe355851595bad70666b8cee35708deed43ed.png (1920x1080, 1.64M)

switching to void or calculate isn't going to fix your inability to troubleshoot things

Shouldn't. -9 is bad. What program?

thanks lads, appreciate it. was about to pop a bloodvessel.

Repeating question from last thread

How can I send stuff to a process that's running through stdin? I can write a script that exec's the process and redirects its stdout and stdin to a file/write a systemd service to keep it active, but how do I send it commands?

Attached: 518603316507181056.png (60x62, 7K)

named pipe

Where do you guys get these ant memes?

How do you people do everything through terminal only? I can't stand browsing for images through ranger.

What do you guys think this guy's distro is? And how hard would it be to set it up to work like his? I only use Windows and MacOS but I'm digging the way he navigates his OS.

Gee, I didn't mean to post without the link
youtube.com/watch?v=jTpK-bNZiA4

Organizing images is one of the rare cases when I actually run thunar.

What's a good i3 color scheme that doesn't use gaps? I find it hard to notice what window is selected usually.

Attached: 2019-03-19-1553033211_screenshot_3840x1080.png (3840x1080, 341K)

I don't think the community that does literally everything through a terminal is as large as you think. That said, the specific use case you provided is literally the only reason I keep a graphical file manager around. Everything else I'm more comfortable with the command line workflow.

But, for example, I also keep a graphical text editor around for when I'm randomly noting things down that don't necessarily need to be saved, I use Thunderbird instead of mutt, etc.

Attached: Dont_you_guys_have_Hydrus.png (1280x720, 1.06M)

I'm fine.
>memes > wojak > boomer > $unixdate png

where do you put it if it has multiple characters?

>his filesystem doesn't support deduplication

Attached: .png (894x894, 473K)

You mean like a feel boomer wojak? wojak > feel > ...
Whatever is the main meme, therre I drop it.
But I get that tags could speed things up as fuck, I just never got the tine to try hydrus. Is it FLOSS tho?

I mean like image has pepe boomer and spurdo or something
WTFPL, has aur package if you're on Arch

the subscription system is great as well, I have list of artists I like dumped into subs, add more whenever I find more and get stuff delivered every day from boorus and pixiv with tags scraped from boorus, (I only selected it to grab character, series and artist tags, other tags are personally filled by me)

It's supposed to be done with file descriptors, though I've always had a hard time getting them to work myself.

You should be able to create a file descriptor like "exec 3/tmp/foo"
Then launch a command which reads from stdin and redirect stdin to the new file descriptor: "my_command 1>&3"
Then you should be able to send data to it by redirecting stdout to the new file descriptor: "echo hello >&3"
But I don't know if this example works, I may be missing something.

Just a question and not shitting on hydros, but isn't it possdible, basically, to make a database using ln?
>one directory full of menes
>database directory full of links to files
>female/male/foo.jpg is same link as male/foo.jpg

Sounds comfy, thanks

You're asking for a would of chaos.

How's Devuan doing these days? Last I heard it was a little unstable and had some compatibility issues, but that was a while ago. I've installed Fedora Server on a home server and am already having to struggle with systemd, so I was wondering how suited Devuan would be?

Attached: 5ca58f77246e8947a615a3c64dfdfe4e7d7dab00.png (1189x1080, 356K)

that's just one feature of hydrus, there are other tagging programs but nothing quite fills the niche hydrus does it has the downloader, dupe finder, API etc. has nice manual hydrusnetwork.github.io/hydrus/help/index.html
as for the ln, , you can't do easily mass operations on these or search for multiple

Attached: file.png (1680x1050, 1.08M)

Any fluxbox users?

Does it provide any particular advantages over Openbox?

Its not based off of openbox, its based off of BlackBox

But it does have plaintext config and some other features baked in to it

>but how do I send it commands?
I don't understand this part of your post. What do you mean send it commands?

It takes input via stdin in order to command it to do things.

Then why not just start the listener with:
rm /tmp/foo; touch /tmp/foo
tail -f /tmp/foo | my_command &
then you can send it commands with:
echo "command1 parameter1 parameter2" >> /tmp/foo
echo "command2 parameter1 parameter2" >> /tmp/foo

eat shit

I am currently using a PC laptop that has Windows 10 on it. I just received in the mail a new (refurbished) PC laptop that came preinstalled with Win 10. I haven't even turned it on yet. How easily can I install Linux on this bad boy? The only step I am aware of is

>download Ubuntu
>get Rufus on a USB drive
>plug in USB into new laptop
>follow steps

What steps am I omitting? I have never used anything besides Mac or windows before. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached: 1528684340136.jpg (480x480, 48K)

thats literally perfect because it also acts as a command log
thank you user

I'm looking into switching to Ubuntu for my x200 and noticed they only have 64-bit ISOs now.
The site says the recommended clock is 2GHz while my x200 has a 1.86GHz and I have 2.9GiB of RAM.
Would it still run good? I've been using 32-bit Debian.