RIP HDD

Attached: 1536271951613.png (186x173, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Hard_disk_drives
amazon.com/Dell-Ultra-Speed-Drive-Quad-Adapter/dp/B0714MMD6M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>qlc
(you)

fpbp
sage
/thread

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Hard_disk_drives
>SSD:
>If left without power, worn out SSDs typically start to lose data after about one to two years in storage, depending on temperature. New drives are supposed to retain data for about ten years.[5] MLC and TLC based devices tend to lose data earlier than SLC-based devices. SSDs are not suited for archival use.
>HDD:
>If kept in a dry environment at low temperature, HDDs can retain their data for a very long period of time even without power.

>SSDs are not suited for archival use.

ok thanks for the 25% failure rate seagate

ok? but that's not what SSDs are for

>twice the price of a 2tb hdd
Yeah nah, nvmeme is still small time. 512GB boot drive and hdds for storage is still the patrician choice.

If I had the money to burn I would get a 2tb ssd, and probably something like this
amazon.com/Dell-Ultra-Speed-Drive-Quad-Adapter/dp/B0714MMD6M

and just have a VERY large storage drive backed by a hdd just to ensure failure isn't the end.

You will die before the SSD die...

qlc if I remember either 1/4thed to 1/8thed the writes you can do granted 2tb would mean its still nearly a petabyte of data could run though it before a potential issue, but qlc won't only be in 2tb drives, the concern is the smaller ones could get fucked over hard.

Ok grandpa go get your tapes

Meanwhile the same $200 gets you 4x more space on a HDD. Sure it's slower to access but do you really need to access your bluray rips at 2 GB/s?

Attached: Screenshot_20190319-215948_Firefox.jpg (1203x1120, 327K)

>do you really need to access your bluray rips at 2 GB/s?
how else can I seed at 1 gigabit a second?

By using RAM caches.

Meanwhile the same $200 get you 14x more space on magnetic tape. Sure it's slower to access but do you really need to access your bluray rips at 2mb/s?

2TB of ram is more expensive than $200

You don't need 2TB RAM either.

i tried increasing ram cache for torrent clients before, they didn't reduce the disk read speed at all, not sure what the issue was

>2TB RAM? You don't need that
>Honestly, what would you use 64GB of RAM for?
>Stop trying to show off, you don't need more than 2GB of RAM
>100MB of RAM is more than enough to run anything nowadays, user

Seagate makes loud hdd holy shit

Ur right user. Ssds are for faggots that spend their mommies money on shit that the nsa has firmeare backdoors for, to teach you that by buying them, you will just end up poor with broken drives.

>THE NSA IS SPYING ON ME BECAUSE IM SOMEONE REALLY IMPORTANT
schizo fuck, go see a therapist
(or just encrypt your shit, autist)

>data storage is not for storing data

cracking passwords

Attached: 1551046739166.jpg (696x464, 53K)

better get a hard drive then. i only plug in my computer every couple of decades

2tb for $200? Wtf I feel like I just paid 200 for 256gb

the chinese is flooding the market

And what do you do with 2TB of flash storage when you want to archive it?

Actually tapes are literally for archival purposes. Anyone who gives a flying fuck about this kind of thing (e.g. financial institutions and basically any large business) will use tapes for archival. Hard drives are not a fucking archival solution.

It’s a shame that tape devices are prohibitively expensive despite the cheap medium

do I have to keep something in mind if I chug one of those pcie -> m.2 sata adapters into my box?
it's for a 4th gen intel I use for net storage mainly.
I heard the mobo has to support it, but haven't found anything detailed.

>Hard drives are not a fucking archival solution
Yeah, but the platters don't degrade (leak electrons like flash storage does) when left unpowered.

If you plan on storing your shit for more than a few months, you probably should be looking for actual archival solutions. This is a complete non-issue.

>pcie -> m.2 sata adapters
pcie > m.2 adapters simply bridge the PCI lanes to an m.2 socket, and if you tried to use an m.2 sata drive it would not work.
an m.2 NVMe drive would work, and you can use it for storage regardless of your board, but booting from one will require a board that supports booting from PCI storage devices.

Just get a standard sata SSD if you're not sure.

thanks for the info
I would like to do that, but I only have 4 sata ports and want to use them for raid
so I assume I also can't boot from a pcie -> sata
should I hook the 4 raid disks on a pcie adapter instead?

Copy the contents to a 24TB HDD in a NAS.

STILL FAR SUPERIOR TO SSD MEMES

Attached: seagate-barracuda-pro-14tb-front-hi-res-3000x3000.jpg (3000x3000, 1.24M)