All memes aside

strawpoll.me/17649211

all memes aside

Attached: VIm-vs-Emacs-1024x576.png (1024x576, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc
gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Remote-Files.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes

emacs
also this
youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc

I just dont see why you'd need a web browser or music player to edit text.

I would say vim but I got so used to emacs because I used it out of the sheer meme of it that I can't go back

Attached: emacs trap.jpg (960x1280, 136K)

emacs and vim are so fucking bloated
all i need is vee-eye

they aren't even remotely similar
fuck you I use both

It's not the fact that you would need, but the fact that you can easily have anything you want there.

what do you use emacs for then?

But I use both daily.

org mode file manager music player irc rss reader etc

anything like what though? what is the advantage, in 2019, of doing that over having a separate browser and other software open at the same time? Emacs is like an OS, why do you need that when you're already running an OS?
I'm not arguing im genuinely curious as im new to all this

>EMACS TODDLERS BTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: 92A7301C-5FF6-4722-AAA1-AB1C0AAC4E23.jpg (750x1038, 208K)

As a vim user to get everything I need for work I run other terminal apps like repl, w3m, top, git, bash, etc. In my opinion this vim + terminal is a better comparison to emacs since vim is just a text editor, one part of emacs. The big advantage for emacs is all these other features/programs running as an extension of emacs all adhere to your keybindings and can all be configured with elisp. There a part of the system and thus work the same. With my terminal on the other hand most but not all programs have some type of vi keybindings but they aren’t all the same and some don’t have them at all (which often means finding an alternative). I constantly hit q to (my keybinding to quit vim) to try to leave other programs which doesn’t work obviously. Having everything apart of a single, extensible program makes moving between apps/buffers seemless.

Vim. The best configurations of emacs are just setting it up to emulate vim (plus a bunch of bloat)

>they aren't even remotely similar

True. Back before I tried emacs, I thought it was just vim but with bloat and shittier keybinds, but now I realize that they are optimized for different things.

cringe

>Emacs is like an OS, why do you need that when you're already running an OS?
Because it's a portable, self-contained OS that is more efficient at text-centric work than your actual OS.
I haven't used Linux in years and still have yet to find a better text editor with an official Windows version. It's a comfy refuge when your OS is fucking abysmal for programming.
You can get the best of Vim in Emacs, but not the other way around.

Attached: Untitled.png (658x680, 30K)

So can I get Emacs without the OS? Because the real advantage of vi and vim is that they are small and ubiquitous. I can SSH into any random server and be guaranteed to have at least one of them that I can use to do whatever work I need without having to setup anything extra.

I remember dabbing into Emacs when I saw one of the postdocs in my office using it. Couldn't get the hang of it at first, but kept coming back. Nowadays, I'm almost dependent on it - I've tried other editors/IDEs for programming, but looks like I'm stuck with Emacs for good.

>save file on vim
>: w enter
>3 keystrokes
>save file on emacs
>C-x C-s
>2 keystrokes

nuff said

>I can SSH into any random server and be guaranteed to have at least one of them
For this, vi is usually superior, but if you are on a personal box or account, your entire Emacs setup is also portable, including extensions. I've used the same basic config setup for longer than I can remember.
Emacs' resource usage hasn't been a problem in literally decades either, it only takes up more storage. Most of the editor isn't loaded by default.

>C-x C-s
enjoy your repetitive strain injuries

gedit

I started learning to code 10 years ago highschool and gedit was the default text editor on my low end Ubuntu + gnome2 laptop. Never took the time to be fast at vim, just enough to navigate and edit on remote logins.

lmfao emacs is dying

not enough people drinking the sicp kool-aid

Attached: sicp myaamom.jpg (1920x1080, 514K)

By that logic vim is also dying. Neither are all the most popular these days, especially when you consider IDEs.

A C M E
C
M
E

mousechords > 10000 autistic keyboard keybindings

Attached: DxHEK3TUcAAviaH.jpg_large.jpg (1124x1124, 182K)

Other: Kakoune.

Attached: kakoune_logo_full.png (262x262, 38K)

so you run emacs as an operating system inside your operating system...

Yet another Cuckoune user.

Vim only rrcently got built in paralell compiling

I used to use Emacs as an OS now I unironically use Atom as my OS. While the initial start-up takes 2-3 seconds afterwards you literally have a modern Emacs that you can do anything inside whether it be an RSS reader a video/music player a browser or just a shell and since I only close Atom when I shutdown it isn't an issue for me.

And since Atom also implements the langserver protocol you get all the code intelligence from vscode on top of it for free.

I use Emacs but :w are two keystrokes and Cx Cs are practically four. If you are German than yes Vims may be 3.

>Vim
q :q enter :q enter :q!
To exit.
Bonus: it kills your files if you keep them open (by default, I am sure you can change the behavior).
It is fine, but not great.

How do vim boomers and emacs boomers feel about vscode having more users in such a short lifetime then vim and emacs have has their entire combined existence?

>nuff said
Ctrl+S is common even simple editors but why are you guys manually saving at all. Auto save every n minutes, before running tools, before closing. Makes me think you guys have to do more then press F5 for compile/test/run/debug/whatever.

>Ctrl+F: Nano
>0/0 Results
For small text files and .conf's nano is just quick and easy. Anything longer or multi-file I'd prefer something like Sublime Text, out of the box multi cursor is comfy.

small edits and config files is just what vim is made for.

Not sure what you mean by kills. Original is untouched if you didn't save it, vim creates a swapfile where your changes are and a backup of the original state that you opened as well.

Besause Emacs is not a text editor in the usual sense. Basically it's a sophisticated toolkit, suitable for processing textual data. And it ships with the bunch of software written on it, including a couple of text editors.

vi is so bloated, all you need is ed.

This has happened with other editors/ides. Then other ones replace them.
But Emacs (and Vim) still have a strong user base, since 30+(?) years

i.e. BLOAT

I dont care about my editor at all. the only thing I care about is modal keybinds and vimlike structure

You can edit remote files with emacs just fine. Instead of SSH'ing into a machine, you tell your local emacs to edit a remote file.
gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Remote-Files.html

Also, using Vi over SSH is a funny historical software lockup to me.
You see, unix never implemented device drivers for terminal devices. It was deemed that hard-coding terminal control sequences into applications was much simpler.
This is why you need to send your terminfo to remote servers before your SSH connections works properly, or why you need tmux or another multiplexer to run multiple applications side by side in the same terminal. Your remote shell has to implement device drivers for your local terminal device, and there's no way to have two applications coexist on the same terminal when they both have full access to the device, instead of there being a system facility for drawing stuff on screen.
And since all software implements terminal drivers theselves, unix is now stuck with terminal emulators. This piece of software pretends to be hardware so it can support software written against teletypes from the seventies.
This is the real reason remoting to unix machines via SSH is so barebones.

Attached: 1546053368469.png (900x1271, 1.05M)

i'm using vim because everyone is using emacs at our uni and i want to be a special snowflake

it has been settled a thousand times before

Attached: text editors 2018.png (962x930, 53K)

Why would I care others aren’t taking advantage of better editors that are made fully available to them? I already know most programers are lazy and unwilling to be anymore effort into their work then they have to. Vim and emacs both require some initial setup and learning to get the most out of them, which is well worth it in the long run, so shocker these idiots who are unwilling to learn how to properly test, refactor, organize their code because they can only think in the now and not abut the future aren’t using these editors.

No vim does not have autosave by default but it takes one line of code to add it. That’s what makes it great you’re not cucked by what the designers added for you. With autocommands I have a large set of triggers to add auto save and other commands however I please. Want it to save everyone few seconds? No problem. Every time you exit insert mode? Easy. After you’ve stopped editing or when you switch tabs/leave focus? All can be down without much effort. But as someone born before the millennium manually saving is so heavily ingrained in my muscle memory I can’t not do it even when I know auto save is there so there’s no reason for it anyway.

Emacs can be everything vim is + you don't have to leave emacs to do stupid OS related shit

I managed to learn vim but I'm too lazy to learn emacs.

wrong.

You doo have to consider enter, also to make a ":" one needs to hold shift. So it's 3 and a modifier.

Ed is the standard editor

Or you can add
`nnoremap w :w`
To your dotfile and have it be two easy to hit keys. We are working with editors praised for their flexibility and are of course able to make common commands easier.

emacs + evil mode is god tier if you configure it yourself.

spacemacs fags can kill themselves

I run ansi-term inside of emacs to edit my text files with vim inside of the tmux session.

Attached: cat.jpg (741x741, 59K)

>tfw .vimrc is 850 lines
there's no turning back

Ed is so bloated, all you need is a butterfly

memes aside, if you use *nix and don't know ed or ex you should probably learn to use it
it's painful as a work editor but it makes editing files with scripts way easier

>xcuckd

You mean sed, right?

>trap
She isn't a trap. I talked to her on mumble a few times.

>Because it's a portable, self-contained OS that is more efficient at text-centric work than your actual OS.
Agreed, I didn't really appreciate Emacs until I had to use Windows in a previous job.
Unlike Vim, Emacs alone gives you a complete working environment that is actually productive, unlike Windows.
I agree that Vim is nice also because most if the stuff Emacs does can be done by other tools, with Vim taking care of text editing alone and therefore being lightweight. But if you're forced to use a shit OS, Emacs can rescue you.

>meanwhile, on a normal, non-autistic text editor
>C-s
>two keystrokes

>mousechords
I'm interested, please tell me more

No fuck off, Rob Pike is a hack.

It basically uses different combinations of mouse button presses for keybindings

People only like vim for the vi-like controls, which can be implemented in other software (for example, emacs). The base of emacs is far superior to vim's, and the software itself is far better as well regardless of features.

People like vim for vi, not vim.

ZZ in vim?

enjoy your RSI

Emacs represents two of things I really dislike in software.

First, it includes a lot of unnecessary cruft that I don't need and never will need, bloating the software and taking up unnecessary disk space

Second, it has a lot of what I call "forced convenience". It's kind of hard to explain, but you could easily use vim as if it were ms notepad. Emacs meanwhile basically requires the use of shortcuts

t. suckless dev

Whatever makes you more productive, use it.

Emacs user here.

>meme aside
>posts two memes

Attached: c7c.png (612x491, 98K)

False dichotomy.

I use vim because it's everywhere.

I shoud maybe try Emacs Evil mod or spacemacs, but honestly, vim just do what I need.

And I use pyCharm in my job, cause we want all co-worker to work in the same IDE.

>I use vim because it's everywhere.
You mean "vi"?

Attached: vi made this.png (680x1483, 180K)

superior editor coming through

Attached: 1550484044476.png (800x418, 132K)

vim is everywhere.
and even if vim is not there, vi is, and it's generaly enough

Enough for what?