Non gayming monitor

What's the current Jow Forums recommended monitor for non-gayming setups? Haven't looked at monitors since my time in a computer shop years ago.
I have two wall mounted monitor arms and am looking in the 32-40 in range (can fit 2 42s but that's going to be a waste of space I think) - and the monitors need to mount to the standard VESA config (any size, they've got adapters for the arms I have installed), no ultra wide meme stuff either.
This is a mostly work setup as I work from home 2-5 days a week, most work is done in a text editor or terminal. Plus the usual stuff like Office, browsing, etc.
Most gaming that I would do on this would be something like OpenRA (Red Alert), which wouldn't require the extra spend.
I have 2x HDMI, 1xDVI, and 1xVGA ran through the walls to each monitor (older monitors currently in place so needed the legacy connections) .

Attached: gar.png (1280x960, 1.97M)

Other urls found in this thread:

eizo.com/products/flexscan/ev2730q/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video
rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Might as well go 4k if you don't game at all.
2k if you use Windows, the more money you throw at it the better colors and panel you get

If your looking for large format in the 40in range there is nothing wrong with something like a 43” 4K TCL tv, shitton of desktop real estate and can be had for cheap, It lacks DVI and VGA but DVI can be handled by a passive adapter, VGA would need an active adapter

4K 60 Hz, VA or IPS. If you can handle 15" laptop screen at 100% scale, i.e. not visually impaired, 32" is the minimum for 4K. Or 2 to 3 fullHD monitors, which are better for OpenRA, because it can run on one 1080p display.
> I have 2x HDMI, 1xDVI, and 1xVGA
Forget all of that, if you don't use DP, you can only get two 2K monitors at best. HDMI cables are probably old, so they can flicker at 4K due to insufficient shielding or thickness.

Currently eizo.com/products/flexscan/ev2730q/ is the only truly Jow Forums approved monitor. It has everything you need, nothing you don't, it's expensive to act as a pleb filter to keep the poorfags from having good monitor technology.

> Jow Forums approved monitor
> it's expensive to act as a pleb filter to keep the poorfags
Sure, and new Thinkpads are Jow Forums approved laptops.

why eizo?

I have HDMI so that may work

HDMI cables are less than a year old, this is all ran through the walls already during a reno I did in my office so trying to work with what I have.
>you should have ran DP
In retrospect, yes, but I didn't unfortunately, I think it was probably due to the cost at the time of DP keystone jacks but don't exactly remember.

If it displays 4:2:2, you can forget about reading text. Gif related, open it at 100% scale when you will test your TV before buying it.

Attached: f7a38d673487412c95b502bc8dc05870.gif (600x338, 6K)

> HDMI cables are less than a year old
And still, many cheap cables just don't have the capacity to display 4K. I bought a 4K display, had flickers till I plugged in the HDMI cable that came with it. Later on, I tried a couple of cheapest DP cables off Ali, they were noticeably thinner than my DP cable, and they're all failed.

I just checked my order, they're "Supports all HDMI® resolutions up to 4K (3840x2160p @60Hz), including 3D and Multi View video"

So they wouldn't do 120Hz but "should" do what they're certed for

Refer to the table: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video
Any HDMI cable should support everything up to 2.0, but it's not always the case.

If I was going to buy today it would be the new 1440p 144Hz 1ms VA from AOC.

>4:4:4
what is this sorcery

Well, you should magnify it to see the difference. 4:2:2 displays can't display pixel-accurate red and blue checkerboard due to chroma subsampling, so with 4:4:4 display and the right gamma correction you'll see purple 4:4:4, while 4:2:2 will display 4:4:4 sign incorrectly.

Lemme add the picture, should've added it to the post.

Attached: def54e460d724739b59ab906edbc2486.png (640x400, 2K)

Wait, so its displaying correctly if I can read 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 correctly?

You can't read both with the same fidelity. On 4:2:2 mode, pixel checkerboard will be displayed as a purple mess, so 4:4:4 sign will be invisible. On 4:4:4 mode, 4:2:2 sign will be far less noticeable than 4:4:4.

About all modern TVs with hdmi 2.0 support 4:4:4 it’s very rare to find one without 4:4:4 support

Still, they may not support full RGB out of the box. I remember 2015 FullHD LG needed a PC tag on HDMI port to enable normal colors, but was capable of displaying them after that.

With monitors of that size 4k is a good idea even on windows. Keep in mind a 40 inch 4k is basicly a 2x2 stack of 1080p 20 inchers. No scaling is needed.

That’s not that big of deal considering the hell of a deal your getting
You can’t buy a 4K monitor for how much some 4K TVs cost so adjusting a few settings isn’t huge

> adjusting a few settings
It's good to figure out what can be adjusted before the purchase. There are almost no guides about this, and considering how every manufacturer changes its smart TV interface once in a few years, I'd advise to check it in advance.
Oh and yes, let's not forget about PWM, some people may be susceptible to that.

You do have to do some research but rtings.com is invaluable for this info as one rating for their TV reviews is how well they do as a PC monitor and they tell you what to change for 4:4:4, they also give PWM info

can confirm

Heard about rtings and it will definitely help OP, depending on his location.

4k VA. HDR if possible.

> 4k VA. HDR if possible.
> HDMI
Not possible. 2.0 supports either 4:2:2 4K and HDR, or 4:4:4 4K and no HDR.

Depends on HDR, 8-bit HDR is a thing and can be done in 4:4:4 but it’s not really to HDR10 specifications
Not that HDR is a big thing on desktop anyway, your not going to have it enabled 24/7 on desktop on it anyway as it fucks with non HDR applications
HDR movie/TV content is also exclusively 4:2:2 so what does it matter that your display is 4:2:2

> HDR movie/TV content is also exclusively 4:2:2
Really? Welp.

Pfft. I would get the Philips 43" monitor that is 444 chroma instead.

In reality every digital movie or TV show has been 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, nothing is ever done in ether full RGB or 4:4:4 YCbCr whether it’s HDR or not

What am I supposed to see? I ser 4:2:2 in different colors than 4:4:4 (444 is solid darker red than compared to background)

rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

scroll down a little to see tvs with 4:4:4 support

You sure you don't use scaling in your OS for HiDPI displays? Be it your browser or your OS, it scales everything.