CS career fair. PLEASE get some hobbies

I work as a recruiter for a big-name tech company, and I had to go to a college career fair today to recruit some people for CS dev internship positions. My. Fucking. God. Everybody who came up to our table was literally a caricature in real life. Pimples, ugly, nerdy.

I was able to have conversations with all of the candidates I flagged as being the best. Among them we discussed rock climbing, boxing, tutoring, volunteering, how good team dynamics are important, and other non-tech things. I think I have 4 I’d these, one of which is a freshman. She’d never pass a Leetcode quiz. But she had a great personality, I could hold a conversation with her, laughed for most of our conversation, and she had the ambition and desire to do well. I quickly realized she is the kind of person I can really work with over the summer and she will succeed and be more productive than she imagined.

Right after her I talked to a wall. He had zero personality, zero interests, and had zero conversational skills. His resume was all CS stuff, which is fine, so I asked him to tell me something he’s interested in that’s not on his resume. He gave me an answer about machine learning. Nope, nope, nope. I just can’t do the autistic closet dweller thing. I put him in the maybe pile in case some other team was interested because he had a fairly solid technical background it seemed.

Attached: developer-mcssmyktxd06mxf12gy05o2041zkwa7vl8shz7jhio.jpg (1100x600, 376K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=htaTw0NYm_Q&t=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ITT: Someone with menial job flirts with some girl and moans that he can't hold up a conversation with someone with knowledge relating to what he is supposed to be hiring for.

>t. NEET

>be recruiter for tech company
>talk to sjw with no abilities other than I like her
>possible candidate
>talk to person with good cv, but personal hobbies does not align.
>into the maybe pile

Great first day at the job :v)

So you're jealous that he's already more succesful at his profession than you.

stay seething, stupid incels. Nobody cares about your l33t c0ding skills if you can't even speak at the level of a 3rd grader. Have sex

If real, people like you are the reason we live in a shithole of a world like this that prioritizes retarded social signaling over actual skill or work.

Who would you rather have someone in your company:
Someone with desire to learn and a good personality or
Some elitist with no conversational skill, would probably be a buzzkill to work with, and just be some guy in the office?

>Ad hominem

Why the larp, op?
Some random nerd made you eat your heart out?

>I hire based on my penis feelings instead of the candidate's abilities
cancer

I want the guy who makes me money.

Nerd I can take advantage of > Girl who distracts workers and spends all day chatting

If you are hiring for the sales team then it is time to take the social.

It would be nice to pick up some more hobbies, but i'm out of shape, and i dunno, fuck, going to a gym is kinda scary. Every time i walk past the one near where i work it's full of people who are already fit and buff, not a single optimistic fatty in sight.

Social anxiety is such a fucking bitch to deal with.

How did you evaluate their ability to learn from rock climbing ? Lots of CS stuff in resume is the most obvious indicator that they are capable to learning new things in the field. If there was a problem conversing, it's probably >50% your fault.

You are just looking for people who you can fuck or have beer with but trying to backward justify it with bs.

These are for internship positions.
If it were for a real position, someone with a lot of skill and not sociable is worse than someone with some skill and is sociable. There's a reason why the outgoing people are able to land better jobs. It's also why big-name tech companies don't higher social outcasts.

If you're looking for a buddy, do it somewhere other than a career fair, you stupid ass.

> higher

You know what I meant.
If this is your form of a counter argument, you should feel like shit because you're a social outcast who will forever work as a slave to people who get paid more to do less work and boss you around.

Why are you a liar? What made you put so much effort in posting lies here?

>that clear disregard for the 80 char limit

EWW

I already know this, so I always lie and say that I'm starting to do x,y,z hobby. It works because no on expects a beginner rock climber/chef/hiker/etc. to know anything. It's all about the game and how you play it.

>rock climbing
why is this such a generic middle-class white person hobby

>"If this is your form of a counter argument..."
>Proceeds with another ad hominem

I need more popcorn.

Because harnesses, ropes, carabiners, chalk bags etc are much more expensive than a basket ball.
Same as ice hockey. Lots of kit to buy...

The number of tech nerds I have found climbing is surprisingly high. Maybe because it's a sport but without the jock stereotypes of gymheads or football.

ice hockey seems too violent for your avarage limp-wristed liberal to enjoy

None of these hobbies have anything to do with coding, computer engineering, or getting RESULTS.
Do you want success or not?

You're passing up good candidates who do the job and get you what you want.
You're not doing a good job as a recruiter.

Attached: you had one job.jpg (300x168, 4K)

>She’d never pass a Leetcode quiz
>Expecting a female to pass any quiz related to CS

Holy crap, this easy-to-see bait is just being lapped up by autists. Good for you, OP

So what *is* a good field to go into if you have autistic hobbies and don't really like talking to people?

>autistic hobbies
Elaborate

Pretty much the only reason I got into it. A great way to unwind after a week of corporate BS.

fpbp

>Arguing on 4chins
>Expecting serious arguments from random anons

Everyone from all classes and races play basketball. Rock climbing is somehow strictly a white people thing.

>Yeah, I browse /a/ all day, play vidya and I'm also into futa doujins. When I'm not doing any of that, I'm probably out for a hike or taking my car to the track. I've also been browsing a lot of /ck/ lately. How were you able to tell?

Attached: file.png (640x648, 557K)

Climbing is fun. If you want to try it contact a climbing gym, you don't even need your own equipment to start.

I knew there was a reason I never ever get a job when I have to interview one of you people and not just the people I will be working with.

Gotta love OPs that troll autists by feeding the same excuses they make for their failure right back to them.

sure it's fun, but so are alot of things, yet rock climbing is the generic boring well-off white person hobby

>She’d never pass a Leetcode quiz.
Never heard of that, why is that relevant? That website is bloated cancer.

I disagree with OP's reasons, but I find nerds one of the must disgusting human "beings" so I kind of understand. People with limited interests are usually brainlets desu, I can talk with my peers about programming, but anything else is too hard for them. Big-brained people usually know about many different topics and surprisingly like doing more practical activities (e.g. gardening).

I say it again: glorifying being a nerd is the real brainlet thing to do. However, when it comes to recruiting, I don't think your personal hobbies are relevant -- that's where OP is wrong.

Attached: 1525341910267.jpg (544x527, 77K)

>career fair
>literally having to sell yourself like cattle to get a chance at a job

Attached: 1415304308015.jpg (302x315, 29K)

You are new to the job world huh

While some verbal skills are important, probably asking if they've ever worked collaboratively on projects would be more useful in finding a "team-playing" candidate. If you think verbal acuity is going to make a solid team without high level technical knowledge, you're delusional and have never worked on a legit software development team. It sounds like you suck at your job and probably should be working as a receptionist instead.

Attached: doge_honk_honk.png (899x795, 440K)

Of course, don't hire people that are unqualified, but the super nerds typically aren't good team players and tend to not cooperate in larger teams.

Recruiters are parasites

i think it means he likes to collect Pop figurines

>literally having to jump through hoops and verbally suck the recruiter's dick just for the "privilege" of slaving away at a job that you won't even like and don't really even want but you have to do it because it's either that or starvation and all the while the recruiters are all sociopathic monsters who love torturing candidates and making candidates squirm for the sheer fun of it
It's just all.... so...... tiresome.......

Attached: 1537755130579.png (547x556, 344K)

pretty good larp, but no one discusses hobbies at job fairs. you have 50+ faggots going up to your booth you're not going to ask each one their life story

My last job I got because the boss was looking for stray cock on the side.

I was about was qualified for said job as your average houseplant.

It was fine. I still got laid.

I already have two hobbies but I’ll probably kill myself before I graduate

Nobody ever asked me about any of my hobbies at an interview ever. Nice larp.

Have you seen the insane troons that get work in big tech?

I'm self taught C/bash/posix shell/Python/Linux stack with no degree or relevant experience and am just about to start taking a stab at it. How bad will I have it?

How old are you? If you are young, as long as you prove your competence you should be fine as long as you fo some good dick sucking.

i find nerd charicatures to always start drama in shit
so its better to not hire them as they'll more than likely cause you more stress than stacy "instagram my code" buttcheeks

I wrote that post in jest, although it's true. I know I have zero chance of breaking in in this CS-oversaturated city located next to multiple top colleges - even entry-level helpdesk asks for a degree. Maybe if I switch focus to webdev/mobile, which seems accessible to self-taught programmers, but that's cancer and I hate it.

>I work as a recruiter
>programmers should be open and agreeable

I remember when you had to know psychology 101 in order to get a recruiting job.

you faggots don't even bother with these fucking baits anymore

4 SCOOPS C'MON or you could just home gym

Attached: f360e29f5d569186898ff70d154e88ca7e30013bf98555b782f33f6736d4698c.jpg (564x428, 37K)

I'm here to congratulate you on your successful incel bait

fpbp
tech recruiters are the parasitic fish feeding off the belly of the tech industry.

/thread

> She’d never pass a Leetcode quiz. But she had a great personality.
When your company fails, you get fired and missy there goes back to chads arms, at least you could say you tried while you hug your cum hardened pillow.

I rather hire the autistic guy who will probably work extra hours out of sheer autism and get me the money. You are just a retard and a virgin trying to justify your lack of professionalism.

I bet you are neither.

This is pretty much it

Are you sure it's not your dick speaking you pathetic faggot

"desire to learn" =/= capacity to learn

>she
Alright buddy, nice fictional story

You expect college CS students who are more or less constantly have busywork dumped on them to have the free time to pursue hobbies beyond casual interest?

Either you want them to have a quality degree or you don't, make up your fuckin' mind. If they had time for hobbies their professors didn't give them enough homework.

100% a woman or a nu-male wrote this.

Well that explains why Jow Forums always struggles to find a job

rock climbing indoors is for nerds and asian women. climbing actual cliffs/caves is for men. better yet, freeclimbing.

>not having an itemized portfolio for your hobbies/free time

Attached: 1550646296389.png (288x211, 80K)

This is good bait

I don’t like going to the gym either, so I bought a workout mat a couple of months ago to do simple exercises on at home. It’s been pretty nice so far. Would recommend. Extra tip: Eating slightly healthier and making sure I’m really hungry before I eat has contributed to me feeling better in general, which has helped me stick to the exercises.

this kind of stuff doesn't actually happen right?

I've seen hiring managers on youtube admit that personality is the biggest factor in the hiring process because you're going to be dealing with the person for a long time.

got a link?

larping happens a lot

I hate looking for shit but since people are curious. I recently found this video as I'm trying to become a front end dev this year.

youtube.com/watch?v=htaTw0NYm_Q&t=

Start at 3:25 I think

OP eternally BTFO

>hurr why don't people have hobbies while studying this pile of shit field that requires all your free time to be dedicated to it if you want to get a job
kill you're self

>that requires all your free time to be dedicated to it if you want to get a job
maybe you're just dumb

or maybe I'm ambitious and wouldn't want to work at any first soi startup that's offering me some webshit job

If you were ambitious you wouldn't be studying, you'd be starting a company

>just start a company with no money bro, lmao
>just take a loan bro
your giant nose is poking out

you don't need a loan to start a tech company, you need a computer, some free time and an idea

Enjoy your 0.1x Engineers faggot.

I've never understood this. Why would I talk about my hobbies?
Those are part of my private life and are not related to the job offer. You are not my friend, you are a recruiter.
Besides, it's not like I have a set of organized and planned-out hobbies. Sometimes I read, sometimes I go for a walk, sometimes I do vidya

you have to pretend to be peoples friends to get jobs, unfortunately

10/10 b8 m8

Let's just assume you are telling the truth (very unlikely)

So you have three types of people
>the tech guy
He understands his craft and is preaching what he does. You know this is not only his degree but also his hobby. Because he is much smarter in the field than you, you try to talk about unimportant shit just so you can find any "flaw". Just accept that you are the problem and not him.
>the gamer girl
She knows not enough to be any help in the tech field. You still like her boobs and her smell. You also hope you can cum in her and get your dick sucked daily. Sure for you she is the perfect fit for your dick, but you are looking for a tech worker not a prostitute.
>the uneducated chad
He is basically the gamer girl but instead of being a girl he knows how to get girls. You like him because he can get you a pussy.

He are a huge beta and you can bet your ass that your employer will lay you off in the near future.

You're implying anyone wants to work for a company that hires based on (((personality))) and not technical ability. Protip: nobody wants to work for you. That's why you're company is going to the trash and the only people working for you are leaches who try to do as little work as they can possibly get away with.

Nice blog bro.

And this is how software quality these days is so abysmal

>She’d never pass a Leetcode quiz. But she had a great personality, I could hold a conversation with her, laughed for most of our conversation, and she had the ambition and desire to do well. I quickly realized she is the kind of person I can really work with over the summer and she will succeed and be more productive than she imagined.
>pic related

Attached: whamenintech.jpg (931x524, 47K)

What a ride this post was.

I would hire the person more suited to the job.

OP is too thirsty

Said a guy on Jow Forums