Are you ready for LCD^2?????

True 1,000,000 : 1 contrast better than OLED!!!!

Attached: 1526823351019.jpg (800x408, 89K)

fake and gay?

>1,000,000:1 and 1,000 cd/m2 of brightness, using an IPS panel that is backed with a monochrome second layer LCD that modulates the backlight at the pixel level to achieve the deep blacks similar to that of OLEDs, but without the same problems with very bright screens.

You can see more of her face on the left though.

no because LCD/OLED/TFT is slow and crap in all forms

yes because NASA use mobile phone cameras to capture light data accurately on hubble

which one is supposed to be better?

>backed with a monochrome second layer LCD that modulates the backlight at the pixel level
This sounds like such a fucking simple solution to the LCD black level problem. Why or how the fuck hasn't anyone thought about this before? Is it extremely difficult to layer 2 LCD panels or something?

doubles the cost?

And oled doesn't quintuple the price? Maybe not cost though

I'm still waiting for microled

also, static pictures are one thing.

oled has switching times in real microseconds while this ips panel has now 2 panels thst have a switching rate.

double the problem

I think the issue here is the coating on the panel, not the contrast ratio
the OLED screen is obviously more reflective, which ruins the point of the amazing contrast ratio especially considering OLED will always have superior contrast since it literally just turns the LED off
also
OLED is garbage

Hardly that much of a 'problem' when OLED is extremely expensive and shit like FALD monitors are extremely rare and extremely expensive. It wouldn't double the end cost anyway just because of LCD panel expenses, not everything is doubled.

Except massively high power usage.
Panasonic tried it a few years ago.

LCDs in general don't have 'massive power usage'. It depends on the size of the panel. You can double the 60-70W or whatever a monitor draws and it still won't be anything crazy.

xD

LCDs in general only get 50-60% light transmittance.
If you double the panels you're going to more than halve the light coming through.
ie. instead of having 150w backlighting for a ~55" panel at 300nits, you'll need 350-400w for a 55" panel at 300nits, then you want to make it upto 1000nits...

MASSIVE POWER USAGE.

>XD
fuck off faggot

Feel free to show me a laptop or phone with a CRT.

That's assuming you run it at absolute maximum brightness at all times and that you even need a screen that bright in the first place.

>XD

That's true and whilst it shouldn't need it for the contrast, if it used local dimming zones you could lower the power usage even more.
I'm not against the idea, I'm just trying to temper expectations - this is going to be a thirst, niche product in the end - as soon as people get wind of how it's "like plasma for power usage" it'll fall straight into that niche.
Unlike plasma there isn't any real danger of the technology dying, since it's literally just 2 panels bonded, it's not like it needs several factories and supporting industries of its own like plasma and crt.

Remember, for the equivalent brightness, it's always going to use more than double the power.

>like plasma for power usage
I doubt it will be, though. Plasma could reach, what, 200 cd/m^2? Even if this shit uses 500W for 1000 cd/m^2 it's still several times more efficient than plasma. If you want the brightness of a plasma screen then it'd use much less power and this is all for big screens. For computer monitors, nobody is going to really give a fuck that their 40W screen is now using 80W instead.

>if it used local dimming zones you could lower the power usage even more.
That does increase price though, plus it brings in issues like haloing (which might be less pronounced with this tech, to be entirely fair). I'm not entirely certain it would even be worth it just for power savings, when most people probably won't run their screens at eyerape levels anyway. FALD for the strict purpose of power saving seems like a bit of an exaggeration. How much are you going to pay for FALD, and how quickly is it going to pay back for itself in power savings?

It doesn't. Material cost is like 40% of the total price. And panel itself is probably 25% of the total price.