OpenBSD releases a FREE rsync implementation

openrsync.org/

>truly free BSD license instead of locked down GPL'd code
>part of the new OpenBSD RPKI ecosystem
>use of of OpenBSD native security features like pledge() and unveil()
>god tier documentation

Attached: 454354364543.png (1037x789, 222K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cyberciti.biz/faq/use-rsync-to-backup-directory/
github.com/rain-1/openrsync/commit/0b2ef0abad358b33faa0a1b909be9570ed1b267f
github.com/kristapsdz/openrsync/issues/7
medium.com/@jobsnijders/a-proposal-for-a-new-rpki-validator-openbsd-rpki-client-1-15b74e7a3f65
github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/bin/ls/ls.c
github.com/coreutils/coreutils/blob/master/src/ls.c
manpage.me/index.cgi?apropos=0&q=ls&sektion=0&manpath=CentOS 7.1&arch=default&format=html
man.openbsd.org/ls.1
openbsd.org/faq/faq17.html
openbsd.org/faq/pf/example1.html
docs.freebsd.org/44doc/
openbsd.org/faq/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

good stuff from them, as usual

Attached: renge_clapping.gif (500x549, 475K)

i genuinely don't know what to use rsync for

cyberciti.biz/faq/use-rsync-to-backup-directory/

I've looked at some rsync code and was horrified to see it was 100% inconsistently formatted.

I used to be like you. I used to prefer BSD license or even more liberal licenses. Then I saw how much companies like to violently rape open source code that's licensed like that.

Stallman was right. GPL is good. You don't have the freedom to take away other's freedom. A necessary evil.

Why don't they add SSD support to their operating system? Or maybe better video drivers?

Or maybe add video drivers? Or a working I/O scheduler?

this fucking low effort bait. i love how it devolved from no trim to no ssd support at all

lmao, the GAHNOO/LInux port seems to be doing well.

github.com/rain-1/openrsync/commit/0b2ef0abad358b33faa0a1b909be9570ed1b267f
github.com/kristapsdz/openrsync/issues/7

Attached: imgj49543.png (1554x640, 95K)

The most common thing I use rsync for is copying large directories from and to the same filesystem with a progress bar. It does the same thing as cp but counts down remaining files and gives a percentage remaining.

I realize this is a pretty mundane thing to use rsync for but I don't have much use for its networking features. Specifically the command I run is:

rsync -a --info=progress2 --no-inc-recursive $FROM $TO

This guy gets it!

Attached: 9a6.php.jpg (398x500, 23K)

OpenBSD is the last good BSD. Unfortunately it's not suitable for my needs, but I wish them the best.

>literally redefines pledge to return nothing
yeah no that's ass

>i love how it devolved from no trim to no ssd support at all
lol

It's not bait. Just because someone makes a valid point on the internet doesn't make it bait. We already have a working rsync developed. OpenBSD should work on more important things.
>i love how it devolved from no trim to no ssd support at all
Where's the lie? Are we really going to pretend anyone is actually going to use hardware on an operating system when it's missing a key feature that can hurt the longevity of said hardware?

claiming that SSDs are outright not supported is dumb bait

this, all i see here is "rsync for proprietary software to use"

Way to completely just ignore everything written in my post. Then again...
>11. All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored

Attached: image:96812.gif (500x281, 806K)

>OpenBSD should work on more important things.

Wow, look at this anonymous troll who hasn't contributed a single cent or line of code to the OpenBSD project, telling the developers what they should focus on.

Also, friendly reminder that this new rsync implementation is part of a bigger OpenBSD enterprise.

medium.com/@jobsnijders/a-proposal-for-a-new-rpki-validator-openbsd-rpki-client-1-15b74e7a3f65

>My dream is to help create a BGP router software stack which out-of-the-box provides as much security as possible. The OpenBSD project provides the perfect foundation for this dream: its base installation comes with fully-featured BGP-4 & OSPF daemons, a DNSSEC aware resolver is installed by default, it has LibreSSL, and of course it comes with the venerable OpenSSH tools. OpenBSD breathes security. Making RPKI Origin Validation an integral part of the routing stack will be a fantastic leap forward, and perhaps can even serve as a proof-of-concept to inspire the likes of Juniper and Cisco!

>[...] The tool will retrieve RPKI repositories from the RIRs through either the rsync protocol or RRDP, perform all required cryptographic validations [...]

Attached: 45548987.png (1024x739, 288K)

>Wow, look at this anonymous troll who hasn't contributed a single cent or line of code to the OpenBSD project, telling the developers what they should focus on
I'm not a troll. I just think that they should have take care of glaring issues before reinventing the wheel. The way you mention cent or line makes me wonder if they are being cucked into choosing development priorities by their donors.

>rsync was totally fine
You mean fraught with errors and shit code galore. OpenBSD has a habit of redoing basic protocols and tools because they were never done properly in the first place and there's no reason to put up with shit software, if you have the means and ability to maintain a better version then do so.

Those are very nice security mitigations you have there Puffy bro... it would be a shame if something happened to them.

Attached: slaps_your_mitigations.png (1741x455, 39K)

not him, and i'll use this if it's actually better
but i can never tell if this is just them making a new tool simply to say it's BSD-licensed, or if there's a genuine need to re-make something from scratch

>cucked version of uncucked GPL software for big corporations
Thanks for harming free software!
>god tier documentation
It's fucking shit since they ONLY have man pages and nothing else. Which means that you have to to read tons of useless info because solutions to specific tasks that involve more than one program are non-existent.

>It's fucking shit since they ONLY have man pages and nothing else.
>i only used linux

That's actually a pretty good argument against what I said, assuming that a better rsync is genuinely more important than trim and whatnot.

Gee, if only there were a way to compare the quality of the software from both projects

>OpenBSD true.c
int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
return (0);
}

>GNU true.c
#include
#include
#include
#include "system.h"

/* Act like "true" by default; false.c overrides this. */
#ifndef EXIT_STATUS
# define EXIT_STATUS EXIT_SUCCESS
#endif

#if EXIT_STATUS == EXIT_SUCCESS
# define PROGRAM_NAME "true"
#else
# define PROGRAM_NAME "false"
#endif

#define AUTHORS proper_name ("Jim Meyering")

void
usage (int status)
{
printf (_("\
Usage: %s [ignored command line arguments]\n\
or: %s OPTION\n\
"),
program_name, program_name);
printf ("%s\n\n",
_(EXIT_STATUS == EXIT_SUCCESS
? N_("Exit with a status code indicating success.")
: N_("Exit with a status code indicating failure.")));
fputs (HELP_OPTION_DESCRIPTION, stdout);
fputs (VERSION_OPTION_DESCRIPTION, stdout);
printf (USAGE_BUILTIN_WARNING, PROGRAM_NAME);
emit_ancillary_info (PROGRAM_NAME);
exit (status);
}

int
main (int argc, char **argv)
{
/* Recognize --help or --version only if it's the only command-line
argument. */
if (argc == 2)
{
initialize_main (&argc, &argv);
set_program_name (argv[0]);
setlocale (LC_ALL, "");
bindtextdomain (PACKAGE, LOCALEDIR);
textdomain (PACKAGE);

/* Note true(1) will return EXIT_FAILURE in the
edge case where writes fail with GNU specific options. */
atexit (close_stdout);

if (STREQ (argv[1], "--help"))
usage (EXIT_STATUS);

if (STREQ (argv[1], "--version"))
version_etc (stdout, PROGRAM_NAME, PACKAGE_NAME, Version, AUTHORS,
(char *) NULL);
}

return EXIT_STATUS;
}

>OpenBSD ls.c
>616 lines
github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/bin/ls/ls.c

>GNU ls.c
>5309 lines
>github.com/coreutils/coreutils/blob/master/src/ls.c

Attached: d4f96f0aa28cc7ca6971bc9a33d48204.jpg (600x450, 37K)

>You don't have the freedom to take away other's freedom.
Oh the irony.

>openrsync is better because bsd's true is simpler
here come the "muh less lines" wankery, i suppose.

>hurr durr our man pages are ACTUALLY good!!11
No they are not. Yes I have used OpenBSD and it's a joke of an OS that has really inaccurate memes. Here are just some:
"Only 2 remote holes in the main install", what they don't mention is that nobody is only using the main install since it does not contain any of the more complex stuff that most people would need and expect. Meanwhile all other packages are maintained by the community, usually pretty badly since there are hardly any maintainers to begin with.
"LibreSSL is soo much more secure because we removed some code", of course they don't mention the audit of OpenSSL vs LibreSSL (audit was some time after heartbleed was fixed) where LibreSSL was the one that had a ton of bugs

Unix true:
touch /bin/true
chmod 0555 /bin/true

I heard of this like a month or two ago

look at this shitpost

didn't even mention why MAN PAGES BAD, GNU GOOD

Cool. More free stuff for the mega corporations out there. Maybe in a year or two MacOS is going to steal it and use it as closed source.

>NOOO our man pages aren't shit!!! Fucking zoomers who don't want to read our excellent work!111

manpage.me/index.cgi?apropos=0&q=ls&sektion=0&manpath=CentOS 7.1&arch=default&format=html

man.openbsd.org/ls.1

Attached: 1539984186798.png (765x768, 408K)

when did Jow Forums become retarded...

Doesn't change what I said about not having any other documentation of note, in contrast to linux
Stop samefagging m8

>electron vs native program
here comes the muh less lines wankery, I suppose.

>not having any other documentation of note, in contrast to linux

But this is also false, you fucking imbecile

There is a FAQ
There is official documentation like openbsd.org/faq/faq17.html
openbsd.org/faq/pf/example1.html
for personal projects

Outside the official docs there are also tons of blogs, tutorials, guides out there, not to mention books.

You have tons of communities that you can approach with questions, like the official Facebook group, Telegram, IRC, mailing list, etc, etc.

>Stallman was right. GPL is good. You don't have the freedom to take away other's freedom. A necessary evil.
Companies now control your code via CoCs

Electron itself counts toward total complexity, so that's a false equivalence.
GNU software is ugly as fuck because it's meant to work around numerous edge cases on numerous different platforms, which means small and elegant solutions are a pipedream.

Where are the PSD, USD, and SMM?
docs.freebsd.org/44doc/

wow, imagine if the GNU project didn't waste time porting their programs to 1000 operating systems (most of which are actually proprietary too) and focused on actually building a completely free operating system instead!

And they can't touch people's freedom to share and distribute the code. If they'd taken over BSD they'd have locked that shit down so 'nazis' couldn't get it.

GNU is not just the coreutils, there is plenty of demand for software like GCC and Emacs on various other platforms. Hell, the BSDs had to use GCC for many years before LLVM was in a mature state.
Besides, that free operating system already exists. No one gives a shit about Hurd since microkernels turned out to be a meme.

Syncing remote directories.

Jesus Christ all the asshurt GPL fags ITT
Grow the fuck up

Duplicity

Syncing important data to nas

> that bowtie on the blowfish
somehow that's exactly how I picture freebsd users.

>what I said about not having any other documentation of note
What about all of the documentation on their website?

openbsd.org/faq/index.html

or all of the third party articles or the internet and books

sane man's true is a language feature

GNUtards have not realized that right now the corporations blatantly taking advantage of GPL code are the cloud provider giants like Amazon, Microsoft and Google

Holy shit I can sync directories now
I never cease to be amazed by the innovation coming from OpenBSD

it's about 7k loc
how big is rsync?

Probably the best router in the world, as long as you don't need over about 3 Gbps. Could be good if you want the most secure home network in the world.

Attached: openbsd-kernel.jpg (558x695, 160K)

>You don't have the freedom to take away other's freedom.
*steals your freedom*
What now, cultist?

>OpenBSD releases a FREEsync implementation
Am i the only one who read it that way?

Attached: FreeSync.png (220x187, 22K)

>SSD support
Breh I've installed it on SSDs, native and virtual, it werks fine
>Better video drivers
Werks on my machine (TM)

Attached: 1549889669455.jpg (229x220, 7K)