Why can't Jow Forums agree on an encrypted IM service? Has it not been created yet?

What's wrong with Riot/Matrix?

I understand why Signal is gay because of the phone number thing but why not Matrix?

Attached: H34M7gEu_400x400.png (400x400, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jami.net/
jami.net/ring-becomes-jami/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It costs money. Per month.

It's fine

What? No it doesn't.

>It costs money. Per month.
no

>voice requires some weird thirdparty service
>communities are nowhere near as easy to maintain as discord servers, e.g. by joining a community you can't join all the channels, permissions are a pain, etc
>electron
>on windows 10 sometimes notifications freeze the entire ui and you have to force close
>shitty ui

>voice requires some weird thirdparty service
Matrix voice and video calls are just peer-to-peer WebRTC, and the signaling is built into the protocol. What are you talking about?
>by joining a community you can't join all the channels
Yes you can?
>electron
Perfectly fine for a chat client, and it's not like there can't be other Matrix clients that aren't electron.
>on windows 10 sometimes notifications freeze the entire ui and you have to force close
I've never had that problem, and it sounds like it's more likely an issue with Windows 10 if anything.
>shitty ui
The UI looked fine before, and the recent redesign looks even better.

>Matrix voice and video calls are just peer-to-peer WebRTC, and the signaling is built into the protocol. What are you talking about?
I know the protocol has voice, but riot uses "jitsi" for group calls. I think direct calls use webrtc though
>Yes you can?
I didn't know this, guess I'll look over it again

I'm almost certain that I looked at the servers, and they cost like €70/month. Did I do something wrong?

You can use the public server matrix.org for free. You can set up your own server on your home internet or a VPS or something for free. All the software is free. What you saw was them charging for the software to be setup for you including the cost of servers (this is called Software as a Service)

HAHAHA "why do i have to pay for them to host me a server" that communist mentality

> What's wrong with Riot/Matrix?
Unstable spec
Implementing your own identity server is massive pain in the ass
Dendrite is fucking dead
Depreciating self-signed for let's encrypt, which is centralizing access to signed encryption with the allure of it being free.
Two randos in your server can share CP with each other and you won't know about it

XMPP xmpp:[email protected]?join

This looks fishy

Have no doubt that it's 100% satirical.

>Depreciating self-signed for let's encrypt
You can use any CA that other servers in the federation trust. If it's fully your federation, then just propagate your own self-signed CA. If it's public, then use any public CA. LE just happens to be free and it's not even the only one implementing the ACME protocol.

Maybe in 10 years matrix will have matured enough and have better clients than riot to be the best option.
Right now xmpp is the most mature solution with the best clients

>xmpp is the most mature solution with the best clients
said nobody ever

no

troll more

GNU Jami
jami.net/

>perfectly fine for a chat client
Its SLOW
Try using ripcord over discord or quaternion over riot. Even on modern hardware the difference is noticeable.
>and it's not like there can't be other Matrix clients that aren't electron.
There are but they are missing newer Matrix features. Only Riot has the E2E AND Communities.
>Right now xmpp is the most mature solution with the best clients
lol

It doesn't have groups, does it?

Attached: gnupluschad.gif (415x845, 1.29M)

you're an idiot user. dont act like you know what youre talking about when youre an idiot.

riot > xmpp gtfo

>jami.net/
formerly known as Ring.
Unfortunately, I have never seen anyone actually using it.

I use matrix
costs as much as you're worth (0)

you're a fucking idiot if you think someone hosting shit for you is a free service, are websites free?
there are fuckloads of free servers. matrix.org, banter, kiwi land, etc. idiot.

yes, XMPP is the most mature
but it is in a far worse state than matrix is. all around.
The clients for XMPP are even worse, none of them support e2e correctly except conversations & forks of it.
riot works on all devices, XMPP works on 1 (android) and even then has bugs.
There is no comparison with them, XMPP is more of a hassle for client AND server.

Matrix is deprecated by the Grid.

Matrix is by far the best protocol. All these anons screeching about muh unstable spec, muh electron, muh shitty server, muh slow.

It takes time to make good and worth. They're trying to avoid all the mistakes of XMPP and other protocols by shipping a flagship client and the spec.

The spec is more stable now that 1.0 is out.

If electron is such cancer for you then make your own client. All the encryption code is in C++ provided as a library. (Riot uses the library transpilled into JavaScript if I'm not mistaken).

The only reason it's slow is because you're a dip shit using the matrix.org server rather than running your own or using someone elses.

This.

people bitching about electron clients but don't do anything to help. nheko and quaternion are both qt c++ and they need contributions

What are the best free matrix servers that are not matrix.org?

theres a riot channel for fedora, nothing for xmpp and has no offcial free servers like matrix. So it's obvious the consensus should be riot. But people like the leet name because they are larpers

banter.city is muh sikrit klub

Run your own

>it's so good that you have to wait a few more years, write your own client and server since the server software is just as resource intensive as the current clients!
I'm not about to say that Matrix as a concept/protocol is bad, but your argument is dumb. "it's not finished yet" is not a good counter argument when people are responding to "what's wrong with it NOW"

Haven't really looked into it, but the documentation wasn't helpful at all. Does matrix seriously need a domain to function properly even if I just want to set up a test server to evaluate it?

Isn't Matrix bad because it syncs your data with every other server you connect to?

Not really. If you don't want to federate, you can set federation whitelists or blacklists in your homeserver config. As a user, you can simply not join any rooms that aren't set to be non-federated (option available when creating a new room).
It's basically the same thing that email, XMPP, etc. have been doing for a while now. How else would you implement federation without direct peer-to-peer decentralization?

no Jow Forums room?

there's plenty

Xmpp > matrix

A damn shame too.

>following the decentralised meme
Yeah nothing of value lost there.

Attached: 😬.png (1495x677, 61K)

It's sugarcoating for "we don't want to get fucking sued".
>Indeed, at the moment, there are many commercial products (some with Ring-like features) protected by trademarks called Ring.
jami.net/ring-becomes-jami/
Also, why do you fags sperg out at the slight mention of anything related to the left? Are you gonna shoot them for commiting wrongthink?

t. Commie muslim gay jew.

The irony in jumping to some conclusion and being this defensive about it while saying others sperg out at any slight mention. I wasn't even intending to highlight anything "left".

People still use these pieces of shit.
Jeez, just use telegram

Unreleased centralized server
No federation
Homebrew encryption
Tied to your phone number