Was it perfect or is it just nostalgia?

Was it perfect or is it just nostalgia?

Attached: xp-desktop-thumb.jpg (770x577, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

habr.com/en/company/pvs-studio/blog/443400/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It made its debut during the begining of the broadband era. It lasted longer than it should thanks to Vista’s problems and the rise of Netbooks. Large organizations and China are still using it today. People are panicing about the end of Windows 7 support but have been using xp unsupported for nearly 5 years now.

Unimpeachably still the King until April
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

It was also a massive improvement over 98. Which is what most people would have been using at the time.

It was awesome. Due to the hardware it was designed for being quickly surpassed it ended up being lightning fast even on "low end" hardware after about 4 years. The same applies to the internet, which was still mostly designed for dial-up though broadband was becoming common, meaning a lot of the web was also lightning fast.

Thank god for Longhorn, otherwise it might have been replaced before it got its wings, like Vista.

This.
The fact that this mindset is now inverted is what makes modern technology so shitty. Every company assumes you have a flagship phone or a top-tier computer with 5+ Gbps Internet connection, and they build their products to only cater to those elites. It's exactly the kind of thinking that's bringing us DOA projects like Stadia.

If it was perfect it would have been the last OS ever produced.

Not necessarily. After the peak is the fall. There's no reason why things would just stop.

XP was the greatest OS since OS/2, prove me wrong.

>XP was lightning fast
>Old internet was lightning fast
This is unironic and actual revisionism

Do you guys not remember waiting more than 10 seconds for a webpage to load?

Attached: tenor.gif (268x234, 1.66M)

Not in all cases obviously, but XP's performance was typically quite good on 2005 era hardware. What he's saying about loading pages made for dial-up over broadband is right as well. I can remember a good portion of the internet being like that back then.

Counterpoint : flash animation

nostalgia.
from a technical pov it was utter trash like everything microshaft does
can't wait for more official apps to be released to github, the calculator app is comedy gold and a compendium of everything you shouldn't do in programming.

It was fast with Firefox.

Looks way better and is more consistent than Windows 10, minimalist/flat design was a mistake

If it was perfect, there wouldn't be a vulnerability ever other day.

It was the best system mix you could hope for. A true OS if you were offline or online. Simplistic yet could be modified in many different ways for the experienced. had an excellent ability to work with older software or allow for manipulations to allow for it. If it had the driver installing support that linux a few years later had, it would have been a complete and total beast.

I still use it on a day to day basis. There are a plethora of great meme browsers, thanks to the folks at MSFN.

>calculator app is comedy gold and a compendium of everything you shouldn't do in programming.
What do you mean?

Don't remind me of the days where we would download a single pic off limewire.

Napster was quicker.

Windows 2000 was better

the latter.

At least Windows 7 has UAC

Nostalgia, 7 was simply better and still is.

Just nostalgia, it had intermittent network issues that would always appear and disappear randomly. Shot never happened in win2k, which coincidentally was perfection.

Not since dial up, I've had broadband since like 2002ish.

The only thing that was slow back then was flash animations. Nowadays the cancer has spread and even though it's not flash anymore, almost every webpage is retardedly slow and unwieldy because of a billion scripts.

Doesn't 7 have more market share near the end of it's life than XP did near the end of it's life?

I've never had that problem before.
I think it's about the same.

Windows XP in 2013 had 25%
Windows 7 in 2019 has 35%

Nostalgia. XP - at least pre-SP2 - brought almost nothing worthwhile to the table over Windows 2000 Workstation, and if they had kept updating the latter I would have kept using it.

Windows 2000 was perfect, OP.
Baby's First OS that you have pictured here was Microsoft's first foray into crap user interfaces for loser n00bs and braindead normies.

So then this is going to be a bigger problem than before?

> the calculator app is comedy gold and a compendium of everything you shouldn't do in programming
Please tell me that there's a blog post somewhere where someone has ripped the calculator app to shreds.

Imagine once a month or so, the network connection just dies randomly, nothing you do makes a difference, other computers not running XP connect fine, and other OS's ran without issue on the same hardware and network. It never lasted more than six or so hours at a time, but it was maddening and most of the reason (besides the default look) that I never liked XP much.

Firefox? Pfft, back it the day Opera was king.

> Counterpoint : flash animation
Hilarious and true!

>XP was lightning fast
That's true tho, it was fast even on a Pentium III with 128MB of RAM.

Yeah, 7 is also not as dated as XP was.
>x64 version that actually works
>SSD support
>Supports HDDs with more than 2TB space
>Supports up to 192 GBs of ram
>Supports up to 256-core CPUs

>Windows 2000 was perfect, OP.
I wouldn't go that far. 2000 was a great OS for its time, but if I had a choice between 7 and 2000 and software availability/hardware compatibility wasn't an issue I'd pick 7 every time, if for no other reason than because I don't miss GDI's UI jank in the slightest. Drawing the UI with a GPU is just a plain better idea.

On my system, I could actually watch every individual line and fill be drawn on the screen when I pressed the start button in XP. Compare that to instantaneous open on Windows 2000.

So if you didn't have the newest, best hardware then XP was a complete dog.

Another feature that W2K had over Win7 was the lack of activation servers. If you had a valid license for Windows 2000 back in the day, then you still have a valid license today. Sure finding hardware will be hard, but W2K won't phone home to Microsoft and arbitrarily disable your computer.

>the calculator app is comedy gold and a compendium of everything you shouldn't do in programming.
kek
habr.com/en/company/pvs-studio/blog/443400/

>x64 version that actually works
xp x64 actually worked. The problem was just the usual "manufacturers not bothering with drivers" like with vista and me.

What was your system? XP was only slow on malware riddled machines in my experience. Shit was faster than light on basically anything better than a Pentium II/Celeron with 64MB.

The 64-bit version of XP worked just fine. The problem was that the world wasn't ready for 64-bit desktops yet, resulting in poor driver and application support.

"We will fix technical debt in the next sprint"
– Every development team on earth

I remember making stupid videos with Movie Maker. It constantly crashed on me

Attached: images (3).jpg (225x225, 7K)

I don't remember exactly what it was anymore, but I was really big into taking two and three year old office lease business computers and turning those into my every day driver.

Weren't there some stability issues besides the lack of driver and software support? I remember having to install x64 Vista a decade ago on my newly built PC because I had 4GBs of ram and people always said how unstable the x64 version of XP was.

Even if Microsoft gave Windows 10 for free again there will be millions of computers that won't upgrade, which means software developers will still have to support Windows 7 even if Microsoft dosen't.

I always heard the opposite, especially referring to Server 2003.

Wait, — what? I thought Windows 10 was free. I mean, you can download an operational copy direct from Microsoft. What's to stop people from doing exactly this?

You have to activate it if you want to use some features and don't want to be nagged all the time.

A pc at my work still uses XP, guess what it's fucking shit.
Xp

I think W7 will get more years of (third-party) driver and software support than XP did when MS cancelled the support. There is no reason to upgrade for most people and companies since it just works and the hardware it runs on isn't as dated anymore.

Even MS Edge is getting ported to 7.

You're experiencing nostalgia for some reason. I'm 30. I remember XP. Terrible UI. Shitty non-functional search options. Connecting to a new wi-fi network was an exercise in frustration. It was fucking garbage.

Windows 10 is still free actually. You can upgrade from 7 and 8(.1) with the Media Creation Tool from the MS site.

>habr
What is this dogshit?

Oh yeah, I forgot that every time I sat down at someone's XP machine that I had to first turn off that damn yellow dog in the search. Man that was useless.

It's good but registry was a hell.

Looks like some kind of blog/forum mix for technology related subjects

>was

You mean "is" and nearly. Win7 is the perfect one.

My grandmother was running XP on a PII with 256MB of RAM in 2013. It was manageable. Not fast, but usable.

Actually I take that back, I think it was a PIII.

It's a shit by modern standards but a massive improvement by the time, specially in the drivers department, as flash memories and internet were very easy to use.

Why do people like you always insist on changing things on other people's computers

>root user by default
>IE6 by default
>IE6 could run scripts from the web as if those were programs
>buggy and unstable until SP3
>terrible default theme
>no security whatsoever
Hell, no. Windows XP was a piece of shit. Though at that point in time GNU/Linux and BSD were unusable as desktop OSes and OSX was held back by the hardware it ran on and the lack of programs; so technically it was the best desktop OS at the time.
But in reality WinXP was just shit all around. Windows became truly good with Windows 7.

More nostalgia than not. I remember still getting a lot of bluescreens during that era, and this was also the time when you had to manually defrag your hard drive all the time, and either way your computer seemed to get slower by the month. I used to reinstall XP like three times a year, and nowadays I only reinstall Windows 7 when a hardware upgrade requires it.

It always makes me feel so old when people talk about this being their first. 3.1 was my first, I'm in my 30s now.

The SYSTEM account is the equivalent of root under XP, which if I'm not mistaken is one step above Administrators. Point taken about IE6. SP2 released in 2004 was when it became stable, and also when the Security Center was introduced. The theme is a matter of personal taste, but at least you could change it out of the box. That's one of the great things about XP, it's infinitely customizable.

Lol, Firefox was awesome, but it was slow as hell. IE 6 and 7 were actually way faster. They sucked, but they were faster.

Truth

Lol, when did that ever stop anything getting through?

I got so many viruses on XP it wasn't even funny. mostly my fault

windows was always a trash

>That's true tho, it was fast even on a Pentium III with 128MB of RAM.
maybe if you disabled some services, then i will believe you.