Fiber

>get notice for ATT fiber
>looks nice, affordable
>read more
>REQUIRED to use their black box between the fiber and your router
Yeah no. At least with cable I can use my own modem, DOCSIS 3.1 supports gig speeds anyway.

Attached: img].png (673x871, 263K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/WiFi-Router-Guard-Large-Blocks/dp/B01IJD22YG
jcs.org/2019/03/21/uverse
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

doesn't their ONT just act like a modem?

Except you don't need a fucking modem for fiber. It's a straight L3 signal

Are you planning on polishing and terminating the fiber yourself? Are you a trained fiber tech? Have you ever even seen a single mode fiber terminal? If you answered "no" to any of these questions how can you possibly expect them to just let you plug in your own shit at the end of the fiber run?

>those statistics
stop lyin' like a bitch, AT&T

Isn't most FTTH actually passively split time-division multiplexed?

It's the same way with Verizon's fiber, deal with it or enjoy your slow speed
t. gigabit fios customer

>or enjoy your slow speed
Coax can do well above 1gbps these days. If my choices are forced spyware box vs no spyware box I know what I'm going with.

>AT&T
i woudn't let an american ISP in my house even if they offer petabit internet for free

No. Their ONT box is also a combo router, DHCP server, and all. Their shitty equipment also seems to just randomly crap out once every couple of weeks until you manually reboot it. The web interface is the most clusterfucked UI I have ever used.

Source: the place I'm staying at right now has AT&T

If the illegal wetback they hire to do this can do it I sure as hell can.

Forgot to add that it creates hidden wireless networks without your permission that you can't turn off without a hack. They're guest networks that are used for AT&T's extended wireless coverage service or something. If you sniff traffic on the internal network for these things, they also actively probe for other devices and port scans them. I have no idea why but you can't turn that off either.

This is the future we chose.
Comcast already offers gig speed over cable here and you don't need to use any of their stuff to get that.

You probably don't even know how to change your own cars oil.

I have gigabit fiber with AT&T and it's great. Never had to reboot the modem, I use my own router, and the speeds are consistent. Quit being a bitch

>Forgot to add that it creates hidden wireless networks without your permission that you can't turn off without a hack. They're guest networks that are used for AT&T's extended wireless coverage service or something
have that here in australia too.
Got nbn with telstra and now have a telstra air hotspot....

>oh noes! my ISP might be able to see all my traffic.....

Wait, so all Fiber ISP's have some botnet ONT, maybe you're lying? If so, why do they even bother providing routers?

Cable can't provide good upload speeds yet.

Spectrum charges some ridiculous activation non-waiveable activation fee (presumable to pay for modem+install) for gig internet. You can't use your own modem for gig or do a self install.

What am I, poor? It costs me $30 and 15 minutes to get that taken care of.

>Cable can't provide good upload speeds yet
Luckily I'm not a twitch streamer so I don't care.

pffft
the absolute state of amerimutts

that is GPON or just PON

I don't know about other ISPs. I'm only talking about AT&T here.

So what?

That doesn't affect you any more than if they placed a mobile hotspot out in your street.
People using it won't be able to see your traffic, just like your neighbor who also has AT&T can't see your traffic.

Seems like what you are complaining about is not being alone on the internet.
So just disconnect and have your own private off the grid "internet" instead.

In theory they shouldn't be able to access your network, but consider that there are likely (and probably are) bugs in the firmware of the ONT that would allow an attacker to do so. Additionally, they're sharing the same physical line as you for your internet access, creating a bandwidth bottleneck under the right conditions.

>Their shitty equipment also seems to just randomly crap out once every couple of weeks until you manually reboot it. The web interface is the most clusterfucked UI I have ever used.

Which is why you simply plug your own router into it, instead of using any of its extra features.

I use it. Just enable ip passthrough and it behaves like a modem. I switched from Comcast and it was totally worth it.

mfw The last time the canble guy came to my house he drilled a 1 inch hole into my cherry hardwood floor right next to the metal conduit that was put there specifically for wiring to the basement.

Attached: 966us1P.jpg.png (504x352, 180K)

You can't without a very specific setup, and even then it's extremely unreliable. The ONT device does NAT and you can't turn it off, so you'd end up with a network behind double-NAT.

so?

It's probably not that much of an issue nowadays as it used to be, so there might not be anything wrong with double-NAT, but that still doesn't solve the problem of unreliability. The ONT has to be positioned between your internal network and the internet.

I just asked the cable guy if he could leave me 30ft of cable slack so I could run the wire into the basement myself.

Why can't I just buy a router/gateway that accepts a fiber cable?

I think anons are getting confused here and just got conned into using an ISP’s router
An ONT mearly provides a location to connect cable, Ethernet and POTS lines to the fiber network and is usually located outside possibly with a battery backup inside to keep telephones operating

You are correct, but AT&T's ONTs are combo boxes and are one physical device to include an ONT, router, and wireless access point.

I tried OP's preferred solution (cable, but buy your own modem). Then I found out that cable modems are pure botnet: they download configs from the ISP, and the only settings you're allowed to edit are ones marked as such in the ISP's config file. Comcast being Comcast, they enabled no settings at all for my modem, not even port forwards. Wound up needing a VPN just to make inbound SSH work.

i should have. you have to keep an eye on those jokers. they hire the dumbest blue collar retards off the street. people that don't even know what a conduit is for. You have to follow them around your house like a child and make sure they don't do stupid shit like bore holes in your walls.

I actually stopped the cable guy from boring another hole on the exterior of my brick walls that was right beside another perfectly usable hole...

I could go on. I have many horror stories.

Sucks. I had the same issue but I figured out how to beat the system with a traffic analyzer. Plug your modem into a switch, then the ONT into the same switch. Wait for a DHCP address to be assigned and connection up. Then do a switcheroo to your router with a cloned MAC and all other connection settings the same. You can actually leave your router on DHCP.

Make sure to strip out any VLAN1 packets. I use ESXI virtualizing pfsense so that takes care of this need. Good luck, but once you get it working its truly a glory hole. Been running this way for 2 years and they are yet to wise up. Usually lasts months in between when you need to reset, and longer than the POS turdbox the ISP gives you would last without a reboot.

>I could go on

Please do.

I see so I guess even with fiber we can’t escape the modem/router combo device retardation
I guess I’m lucky to just have a simple ONT from a local ISP

>Yeah no.
Okay, enjoy not having fiber then. Thanks for the blog post.

That's what is great about fiber. The techs that come out to your house are either white or asian. Source: I have ATT fiber.

Source?

One time when i had DSL they used the incorrect CAT spec wiring and it was basically like 56k speeds. They had to come back out and replace the wiring.

Another time they actually did bore a hole through my patio wall to run a cable that went through the wall underneath the room out to the garage and finally into the basement via a completely new hole they bored into the basement wall. the horrors got even worse once i went into the basement. wires were hanging down everywhere. some laying on the floor. rather than using screw clamps they actually bored a few holes into the floor joists.

Can't you call them up and ask them to disable everything and just set their shit into bridge mode? You can do that with my ISP in Europe, also fiber and they also have their ONT/combo box act as a router by default, but they reconfigure it remotely if you call them and tell them you want it that way.

Because they'll probably refuse to activate the signal

Couldn't you just forward ports from the router

Because fiber is usually run to a terminal box where it gets punched down and spliced into a converter that de-MUXes it and converts it to a copper ethernet port. When they run the fiber through the ground it's just bare cable, there is no connector on it like there is with a fiber jumper you might see in a server closet or whatever.

You can, the cable modem only really changes the coax connection to an Ethernet one. It's a layer 2 device.

Wrong.
You need something to convert it from GPON to Ethernet. You have to get special optics for your gear if you want to interface with a GPON network, and I'm assuming that's what kind of network they have.

>You need something to convert it from GPON to Ethernet.
Which doesn't mean I need a fucking all in one box to do that.

I haven't tried, but in my searching most people who have tried were basically told to fuck off.

Source: I have AT&T where I stay right now and am knowledgeable in networking and packet analysis.

No, it's a layer 1 device since it just changes the media from coax to twisted pair. Ethernet is layer 2 and coax carries it.

Attached: 1274894717342.png (222x211, 4K)

>use their black box between the fiber and your router
Fiber to Ethernet converter?

So that's a no. Ok shill kys

>calling the one truly suffering a shill for experiencing the pain first-hand

Must be fun to live in the US.

Based FiOS let's you bring a modem

Attached: Screenshot_Via_20190323-102720.png (1080x2160, 258K)

I'm getting AT&T fiber soon too, AMA

DOCSIS is the layer 2 protocol spoken on coax, and it has different properties than Ethernet. That's why cable modems have to download a config file and shit.

Fiber generally speaks ethernet, just with different physical framing and stuff on the wire.

you're not going to get a direct interface on their network retards. You pajeet programs cleary don't know shit about networking.

>you're not going to get a direct interface on their network retards
An ONT shouldn't even be within the DMARC of the user. It should be a basic conversion point mounted on the outside of the house.

amazon.com/WiFi-Router-Guard-Large-Blocks/dp/B01IJD22YG

does this thing work? I will be getting new internet soon and I wont be using wifi, I dont want wifi radiation and also dont want those public isp hotspots (my new isp does that)

I cant into ee, doesnt faraday cage needs to be "powered" by external source for it to block or absorb em radiation?

Attached: 1546256493982.jpg (600x737, 65K)

I live rural, and recently AT&T has dug a box in my yard and has been running lines on the dirt roads. Am I getting fiber soon or what the fuck are they doing?

This can't be a serious post...

Doesn't do shit if the ports are blocked in the modem

no I am sirus, I want to block all radiation from my isp router/modem and only have ethernet cable to my pc

Attached: 1516222974852.jpg (480x480, 33K)

Well at least you're not a total brainlet. I thought you were hoping to "block the radiation" while still using the wifi.

Better read up on faraday cages, I guess. In any case, it seems like the one you linked doesn't actually do anything, since some of the reviews say they get the same wifi signal strength with or without it.

Should've told them to get the fuck off your property. Hope you're at least getting compensated with a paycheck.

Attached: smug vampire.jpg (272x264, 26K)

>not getting 10gbit ethernet straight out of the wall
laughing @ murika

D A M A G E C O N T R O L
A
M
A
G
E

C
O
N
T
R
O
L

>getting a bus burned and children kidnapped to by an African migrant seeking vengeance for refugees
Laughing @ yurop

Never had that happen in my country, cope harder fiberlet.

What glorious land do you live in that has fiber, money, and no refugees?
In jolly England here we got 70 Mbit VDSL.

lol

Attached: GettyImages-1161124.0.jpg (1200x800, 155K)

>train some faggots in piloting
>take over planes
>blow shit up
>america becomes an orwellian police state as a result

based

In my area it's either Spectrum (which I have) or AT&T. There are areas in Charlotte though that have Google Fiber which I'm jelly of.

>fibre connection
>Still have monthly bandwidth caps
LOL!!!!!

>At least with cable I can
have all plaintext information be readable by 15000 other customers, only one of which needs to be attempting to intercept it

So you performed packet analysis on their ONT/router box? Now you're just making shit up.

Attached: 100 dollars to setup your metal shoebox.png (1829x631, 509K)

No. Read my post again. There's a switch between the combo box and the internal network devices that supports port mirroring. It's not hard to enable it and plug a laptop running Wireshark into the mirror port.

>This is the future Americans chose

Attached: 1551356163843.png (500x700, 207K)

Do they still have data caps?

I have had FTTH before, you absolutely need that black box to convert the fibre cable into ethernet. Just set up a Pihole or whatever if you're paranoid about the ISP.

would you rather have them put it outside somewhere?
you're already connected to their black boxes, now they're just going to be closer.

At least you can get land speeds over 3 mbps. I'm stuck with LTE for anything about that.

I get where you are coming from but you seem to be slow enough to think they need to put a box on your house to spy on you when they are actually doing all the data collection and spying on their end.
You want to hide the ludicrous amounts of degenerate shit you consume on the internet, it's too fucking late, they already know

Someone built an eap proxy tool so you can setup your own router and forward/proxy the eap traffic for auth to the ont.

Link related op

jcs.org/2019/03/21/uverse

>Fiber generally speaks ethernet, just with different physical framing and stuff on the wire.
GPON doesn't. There's also DCOSIS over fiber. Ethernet protocol is only used in special cases (i.e. enterprise service).

*DOCSIS

It's most likely a CWDM box, your typical SMF SFP 'might' be able to RX the light and read, but when you TX you're going to muddy up the signal of the other customers. The ONT should just be considered as a converter to hand off to the customer.

user, he probably doesn't even own a car, let alone have a driver's license.

i have to use frontiers box for my fiber, but i just plug in my own router to it and dmz it. i can't just use my own router, so this is the best option i have

oh that reminds me, i haven't been regular lately, fiber should help a bit

GPON forwards what ever the hell you send to it....it's the second word in the acronym (Passive). DM, ATM (if you're a pleb), it's light.

Including Ethernet...

[spoiler]Sounds like a Marine I know.[/spoiler]