Best DE for 4k laptop

which one is best for hidpi screens, gnome or kde?

not interested in other desktop environments or windows managers, i have plenty of ram in a brand new laptop

Attached: gnome_vs_kde.png (425x220, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

daniele.tech/2019/02/how-to-execute-firefox-with-support-for-kde-filepicker/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

gnome's big bloated windows wouldn't be a problem on a resolution that big and if you have the resources than I guess anything is good

kde is more customizable, so if you want the titlebars to be bigger or smaller you can do that.

Download one distro with KDE and one with Gnome and try them out?

KDE > Gnome tho

I'm using kubuntu right now, i really like KDE but after a couple of days transparencies are broken and my trackpad sometimes stops working.
Also, scaling only works for integers, if i set 1.8 scale all the icons are either too small or too big.
i guess i'll try ubuntu next

Brainlet here. Couldn’t get kde to scale everything for hidpi, while gnome worked perfectly out of the box.

Try to get a distro with Gnome 3.32
Footfags are pretty happy with it, specially the ones with 4k monitors

>imblying linux will work in a satisfactory way on such a new laptop
>in 4k
lol

so... linux is only for shitboxes runing i3, got it

what i am saying is it's a broken piece of shit that never works right no matter what machine you are using

but i suppose if you are a jobless neckbeard autist you could use it as your main os since you would know how to fix it all the time

KDE easily

not him but your bait is too obvious. it's not 2007 anymore

so. does anyone knows how to fix transparencies on KDE?

I tried switching profiles with nvidia x server but nothing happened

tried other themes with transparencies but they're all grey color instead of transparent

WindowMaker

>linux on a laptop
just stick install W10 ltsc and be done with it.

t. was in your situation

>nvidia

Check what rendering backend you have in your compositor settings.

this

Gnome is pure shit install KDE or MATE

KDE Plasma, no contest right now.

KDE at the moment but in a recent Gnome release the fixed the hdpi problem, the patch will come on any distro in some months.

you're awesome! that was the problem
thanks user!

>user didn't even navigate though the settings to see if compositing was enabled
I finally understand why gnome 3 is the way it is and why people say linux hard to use

I have a 4k screen and the best hi-DPI DEs I've tried are Cinnamon and Mate. Mate only added it recently so it needs to be a newer version.

Attached: cozy.gif (758x696, 102K)

i tried but this is all new to me,
give me a fucking break, not everybody was born a genius like yourself

Kubuntu
Literally the most brainlet out-of-the-box distro currently available.

out-of-the-box functionality is bad, cool!

Both are fine, don’t give in to the “Gnome is bad” meme and try it for yourself to make an opinion.

It's not a meme, Gnome is shit now.
Use MATE, compare it to current Gnome, it's pretty clear.

I'm about to fall for the minimal WM meme. How is hidpi on something like 2bwm?

I used Gnome a lot in virtual machines, it's pretty good and never really understood why people complain so much about it.
I wanted to try KDE for a while because i like how it looks. Dolphin is amazing and KDE connect is very convenient. It needs a good file picker for firefox though.

>4K at all
>4K on a laptop of all things
Paid 2000 dollars for three hours of battery life, right? Either way, I just don't understand why would you do this? What other content except some garbage action movies is in 4K?

We complain about it because it's absolutely nothing like the previous versions.
In my opinion it was a huge step backwards.
There was a time I recommended it to new users or the computer illiterate. That time has long since passed, and I now recommend distros with a KDE option.

it was 950 but i guess Jow Forums is full of retarded aggro kids just like /b/

also, get fucked faggot
am i doing 4chin right?

4k is great for programmers because text is super sharp and it's readable at smaller sizes. 4k is great for graphic artists because you can see details without constantly zooming in and out.

But yea, if you're a pleb who does nothing but consume content, 4k has minimal advantages.

Attached: Seiran_implying.png (450x476, 287K)

>retarded aggro kids
Retarded aggro kids? What the fuck?
You could've just answered like .

>It needs a good file picker for firefox though.
daniele.tech/2019/02/how-to-execute-firefox-with-support-for-kde-filepicker/

No problem user. Enjoy your plasma.

If you’re more of a fan of traditional desktop sure, I’ve tried all the common DEs and always end up back with Gnome. The only real complaint I’ve had was performance, and even that has been getting significantly better in the last updates.

KDE

Well, EVERYTHING is content. Not sure how much sense than wording makes at this point. Thank you for the explanation by the way.

I'm a fan of desktops intended to be used with a mouse and keyboard.
You know, the best computer input methods we currently have.

>Settings >> Display and Monitor >> Compositor >> check "enable compositor on startup" and/or click whatever else seems obvious.

GNOME is way better

>everyone works on their home computers
Only the biggest bait

thanks!
Apparently it was automatically disabled due to multiple crashes. I re-enabled it and everything went back to normal.

that's great! Kubuntu is still on 5.13.5 but I'm happy there's a fix already

gnome is better out of the box, god kde default shortcuts are so retarded they have conflict with even firefox shortcuts. Gnome uses meta for most shortcuts so it's fine, more close to what you would expect by default

How is Gnome not supposed to be used with mouse and keyboard? Have you ever properly used Gnome?

Of fucking course it can be used with them, but it's clearly been designed with fingers in mind.
Why do you think everything is so fuckhuge?

Attached: 1390394187924.gif (720x720, 24K)

this, fuck I really wanted plasma to be good since it looks great. But the shortcuts are so retarded. there's no way to move windows to different virtual desktops with the keyboard, and some program shortcuts are broken because kde uses alt and control for its stupid window and desktop shortcuts since meta doesn't exist in their world, imagine having to remap everything when there's no config file

Both shit themselves with Nvidia.
So I just gave up.

I tested gnome 3.32 on Arch, probably the best version of gnome since gnome2. That said, I still don't like it that much. KDE is a clusterfuck of options and you won't need half of them. Plus, I despite Qt interfaces, they all look like vomit.

>and you won't need half of them
Speak for yourself. I make use of them extensively.

fuck, gnome is the only sane option what the fuck. There's also rat and lxde, I wonder how is lxqt.

>needing a fucking GUI to do more than just launch applications for you and managing windows in virtual desktops
ktoddler

>let me tell you how you should use a computer
Typical macfag.

I don't fucking need a GUI, you dimwit.
What I need are options. It could be hundreds of config files for all I care.

>waah I need muh desktop icons and tray widgets

KDE

Because modern design, if you want less padding use a more compact theme. Gnome is more keyboard driven than anything. If you want to click through icons to switch or open applications there are extensions for that, I prefer using keyboard shortcuts or just pressing super and typing.

look at this l33t h4x0r browsing 4chin on lynx

i bet you're fun at parties

How much is Apple paying you?

1/10, here's a (You).

What do you think is inspiring modern design?
What kind of computer do you see the average jackoff using most often?
I'll give you a hint, it fits in one's pocket.

Attached: 1462959221408.jpg (576x576, 39K)

gnome is cancer

>being so insecure you have to call other people who attack your shitty DE macfags
HAHAHHAH ktoddlers are the type of faggots who press alt+f4 when someone in the chat says it gives you more ram and then you think you got hacked because the window closed. You can't even move a window to a different virtual desktop without dragging it with the mouse

Bigger resolutions perhaps? The elements aren’t that big if you’re using anything better than a 1366x768 laptop or a 1920x1080 desktop monitor.

>wants to tell other people how they should use a computer
>not a macfag
I'm actually using GNOME right now, but your behavior is typical of Apple shill.

>remove every feature possible and make it optional through extensions
>people cry about missing default features
>bloat

Cinnamon has the best HiDPI support.

I installed Ubuntu a few days ago and so far I like Gnome a lot. I don't see the point in trying anything else since I just want a minimalist desktop and that's what I've got now. What actually makes KDE better?

Attached: disabled.png (1080x801, 825K)

>ubuntu
>minimalist
Is this a bait?

I mean minimalist in the normie sense. Idk what that word means to you turbo autists

KDE Neon has been fine.
Non issues at all except for latte dock going to shit.

user, did you have a stroke, or are you just a retard?

We have scaling for that. KDE is better at it.
Is that why? Their scaling sucks ass, so they just make everything massive?

Scaling on KDE works fine on 4k

The only issue you might face is using a >27 inch 1080 monitor

Please reread my post again.

Idk user, I just like the Gnome style of UI more than KDE's. It feels more minimal, more polished, there's only stuff you would actually use, it's like someone actually sat down and thought about the UI.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-24 01-17-49.png (1710x1214, 192K)

I feel the opposite, I'm the type of person who uses obscure options, and it's handy to have UI options for it.
You can make KDE's UI emulate Gnome, but what would be the point?

>You can't even move a window to a different virtual desktop without dragging it with the mouse
Obviously that is not true, there are hotkeys for most common window manager actions if you have ever bothered to check.

yeah. but can gnome file explorer do this?

dolphin is awesome

Attached: Screenshot_20190323_214218.png (1950x1698, 198K)

Kde have never aimed to be more minimal or polished than gnome, so I guess that is a fair critique.
What kde does instead is make it super easy to change which buttons to show.
I actually want more bloat.
In my file manager, I enable the terminal, in kate, I enable the terminal below and have the list of files in the side.

What's the point? Why not just open another file manager window or a proper terminal emulator?

what's the point of convenience?
if you have to ask you're not very smart

I don't really find that any more convenient than simply going to a new workspace in gnome and opening up two file manager windows and a terminal, but each to their own.

same, I'm trying kde but my head hurts, too much menus popping up out of nowhere, I tried to make it look less cluttered but still I have the problem of not being able to move windows trough virtual desktops. I rather use dwm or gnome, I can't believe the "most configurable" desktop is not able to make a shortcut so simple. Even lxde has this because it uses openbox

Attached: 2019-03-23-18:28:40_1600x900.png (1600x900, 485K)

>still I have the problem of not being able to move windows trough virtual desktops

what? maybe you're just retarded

you literally can't do it without the widget.
is this windows?

Attached: yikes.png (1600x900, 570K)

>literally
but can you do it figuratively?

you forgot to use "unironically" and/or "cuck'
no participation trophy for you

You're not gonna discern any detail that you would have had to zoom in or out for without having the laptop right up in your face, even with 20/20 vision.

Font rendering is much harder to fuck up when you have actual pixels instead of subpixel magic though, so you're right about that.

lol so you gave up now?
>look I'm so leet I use every option on my computer
this is the absolute state of kde "powerusers", you can't even move windows trough different virtual desktops with the keyboard.
Just accept kde is the windows toddler version of the linux version

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-22 09-24-57.png (1600x900, 1.28M)

Kosher Desktop Environment, no shit.

niether
install alpine with your pick of dwm, sway, xfce, or mate

>which one is best for hidpi screens, gnome or kde?
MacOS

you faggots can't even read

your opinion is irrelevant

>kde is bloated and buggy
>gnome is shit and bloated
But kde is better option for your situation

*ubuntu
Found your problem

gnome 3.32 since it came out with the 4k scaling