Software Engineer but not really

I want to get better at writing software, and creating things I give a damn about.

I'm a web developer who works full stack. My main languages include PHP, and JS. I've got the frameworks of VueJS and Laravel under my belt.

I'm self taught I can do a fair bit of things, but I feel woefully equipped to be a software engineer.

My company gave me the title, and I only have an associates degree. I guess I don't suck at my job, I make 80k in the Midwest and have been here for nearing a year.

I've been in the field for 3 years in total for professional experience. But I feel utterly useless unless I've been on a project for 4 months to rev up. I still need a fair bit of pair programming and the senior devs will rev through my code and add things I may have missed, but generally nothing major.

I like working on API's and have done so with Laravel, and have started to fuck around with Python.

I'm going through MIT open course currently and will be trying to wrap that up in the next 3 months.

How do I become less shit, besides just keep creating things?

Attached: alejandro-burdisio-barcos-y-robot-x-5.jpg (1920x1901, 940K)

make things outside of your mollycoddled work environment
pair programming, LOL

you sound like a cuck

be born with a 130+ iq

I feel like that's a true answer, and I have a pretty small brain. Most things I do, I keep extensive notes so that I can remember more.

I don't pair program everything, it's just during the review of tickets that sometimes gets brought in. And sometimes it happens with tickets that other people need my help on.

???

I'm seeking true answers, I visited a few threads here for daily programming and I generally feel pretty lack luster.

I've thought of going to college out of pocket, and think that might help me foster greater intelligence.

But I'm just not sure...

Attached: 1542550207896.jpg (1920x1080, 492K)

To add to this, I don't have any close personal mentors that I know.

I've tried to work on open source software, and I generally get ass pounded due to my lack of knowledge.

Attached: 1542686685073.jpg (1600x1000, 1.09M)

Almost nobody really knows what they're doing, most people just pretend and like to brag about some shit that they worked with for a little while to make their e-dick look bigger
Do what you enjoy, and make things you think might be handy

Grow a pair of balls fuck this company previously I was also working in web development and in django I left the job fucked around for a year with python tensorflow and now iam a data analyst, work under pressure thats what drives me

I hear that often, but some of the people I work with just seem like they have a vast ocean of knowledge.

My current senior dev used to do Cybersecurity and worked for high profile clients, but finds fun in web development.

A few other people come to mind, but I suppose they all have 30+ year of experience.

Ah yeah, I'm thinking about dipping out for a job with Python to get greater experience. But I love my co-workers.

That's the true drive for me to stay there.

Attached: rainy-days.jpg (1545x1024, 1.61M)

>le full stack web developers
Meaning you use node and express and think youre better than others, but really youre just a code monkey

But why do you want to do learn python?

No I explicitly stated that I work on Laravel, and do PHP backend.

Maybe read the post before throwing slog like that around.

I also am hear to gain knowledge from people I consider better than myself, so that mutes your second point.

Attached: 1553063721007.jpg (1920x1200, 665K)

I figure understanding how to work with other languages could be beneficial for me in the long term.

Attached: 1553039667570.jpg (1920x1080, 530K)

Bump.

Attached: 1552936209642.jpg (1920x1200, 372K)

>full stack
you never gonna make it kiddo
give up

If you have the time for it, do lots of freelancing work on fiverr or whatever platform is trending right now. My reasons:

You're gonna do this NOT for the money, but for the experience. As a freelancer, you'll get exposed to a lot of stuff you were not familiar with, you'll be forced to work outside of your comfort zone. You'll be dealing with customers on your own, getting the specs from them, and that will make you think about the product you're designing a lot more in-depth. You'll be put under time constraints (because we know there's no time constraints in an office environment, everything is just "Oh we didn't finish that? Just push it onto the next sprint". And you'll be the one making all the decisions, from architecture to implementation.

My manager has 20+ years of dev experience and has hired probably about 100 people, and he says the most qualified candidates are always the ones who've done freelancing. He says every year of freelance experience counts as 2 years in a company.

Just my $0.02

Freelance is where it's at. I'm a full time web dev, and it pays well, but the job is so easy mode. I freelance doing software work and make super-extra bank. I have the skills and resume that if I wanted to try and get a "software engineer" title job, I probably could, but currently I can do all my side work at the office while on the clock for my web dev job. And I also wouldn't really want a full time job where I really have to slave 8 hours and fit a "culture" to move a career forward. Freelance, my man. But you have to be really disciplined about billing, your own expenses, client communication, etc.. to make freelance work. I do my freelance through a software company so I get the benefit of having a project manager to keep things moving; I don't think I'd like doing pure freelance without a someone looking out for me though. Clients blow ass, and we healthfully fire the shitty ones when we need to.

Attached: 1527524179608.png (3840x2160, 1.61M)

How does freelancing through a company work? That sounds pretty ideal.

>How do I become less shit, besides just keep creating things?
Gee I don't know, maybe... study and practice?

Watch lectures from the various C++ conferences on Youtube. I don't program professionally with C++ but it will help you learn what the trends in writing good code are and you will find out where you are weak.

I do actually use UpWork and am top rated on the platform. I take what I can on their, and even have some clients I've retained past that site.

I'm also trying to find a part time job as a dev, I hear they are pretty elusive.

I've never really worked with a low level language. My plan is to continue with the MIT Opencourse for Python, get used to that and then carry that knowledge over and start working on more low level things.

???

Attached: 1552940019919.jpg (4286x2411, 422K)

Bump

Attached: alejandro-burdisio-santuario-final-airstationl.jpg (1920x960, 430K)

>webdev
Consider suicide

Web programming is becoming more and more of an essential skill for a lot of new SE jobs.

OP, take it from me; I’m a undergrad SE student bout to graduate and cash out like a bitch. You sound like you’ve already got project experience which sets you apart from most trying to break into the field. Try learning C and pick up a book on operating systems. This will give you a better foundation as far as understanding the theory of computation. Also look for courses on the internet on embedded software.

>cancer spreads massively if unchecked
Color me shocked.

Yes dear boy the day of reckoning is nigh. Still, I pay for muh gunz somehow.

>I still need a fair bit of pair programming and the senior devs will rev through my code and add things I may have missed
how did you get to 3 years by being this incompetent?

White privilege

>He says every year of freelance experience counts as 2 years in a company.
yet he still lowballs them by offering salary based on seniority, not experience
funny how that goes

I can communicate fairly well, unlike most other developers. The management team also looks at me as a potential manager, due to my communication skills.

I also work very hard at networking, and know that was and continues to be a very strong reason of where I'm at today.

I also enjoy what I do so I'm passionate about it.

???

Yeah, all serious answers seem to focus on that. I think that I've got the most I can out of this thread.

Angry brainlets keep responding because they can't even get their career started because they slacked off.

Attached: alejandro-burdisio-plaza-telm-tek-color-imagen1.jpg (1920x896, 405K)

I've an associates in IT. Only time I needed help was the first week when a senior coworker explained to me how a list view adapter worked. Never really felt woefully inadequate anywhere else than the salary negotiation table where they pull the good 'ol >no degree? ahahahaahahah that means we can pa you 25% less dumb goy.

shitskin

>
Isn't that just a leaner Iron Giant?

Idk, the work I was hired on for is a bit above what I know.

I went from 30k to 80k in about two years of job jumps.

Attached: alejandro-burdisio-tower-jungle-concept2final.jpg (1920x1080, 571K)

In addition to practice you need a foundation of theory.
>I'm going through MIT open course currently and will be trying to wrap that up in the next 3 months.
That is a good start. Just never stop learning new things.

Also start a project of your own, a long term project that scratches an itch you have. It might help others too but you know your problems better than you know the problems of others, so focus on your itches.