Gnu/linux future

1.000.000.000 distros.
what's next?

Attached: ping.jpg (280x280, 10K)

2 distros.

delete all distros except for Ubuntu

one distro to rule them all

>having options is bad

just use Mint, it makes the most sense to use.

Maybe an innovative distro.

You know, one that doesn't try to badly copy Windows or MacOS or do some hybrid without quite understanding what this GUI stuff is.
How about a distro that tries to do GUI the Linux way? For example, make the command line a fundamental part of it, instead of something that's sitting under the rug and needs to constantly be uncovered because the rug is actually shit.

Or maybe just modernize the OS itself. I guess NixOS, Gobo Linux and AntiX are good first steps here.

Attached: 1537807083444.png (1025x5000, 2.79M)

more than 2 that aren't garbage

>giving a shit about distros, as if there's an underlying difference

>make the command line a fundamental part of it
>just modernize the OS itself
This is mutually exclusive.

Only if you think command line is not modern.
You can modernize the command line by exchanging the pure text system for something formatted, like JSON, for example. That alone would be quite a boon if it was adopted.

>inb4 "don't even attempt to dream about things that would be good because their adoption is unlikely"

Hence the use of the word "Or" in his sentence.

But may I ask why you claim the command line cannot be part of a modern OS?

Unironically divide and conquer.

Is there a gnu/linux variant without the CoC written by a mentally insane person?

No it's not. The command line is as much a part of computing as the mouse or the keyboard. It's the most fundamental way to deliver information to the user.
Just because some operating systems have abstracted it out to train the users to be lazy doesn't mean it has or ever will be replaced. You still need it to do anything particular in any operating system, even Android.

A version of it which integrates the GUI with the command line would be a golden opportunity.

>Just because some operating systems have abstracted it out to train the users to be lazy
According to this logic, we abstracted out the care and upkeep of horses from transportation in order to 'train the users to be lazy'.
>You still need it to do anything particular in any operating system, even Android.
what the fuck meme version of Android are you talking about?
>A version of it which integrates the GUI with the command line would be a golden opportunity.
I guess an example of this would be Zenmap, which gives you the command-line syntax for whatever thing you're clicking on.

>mentally insane
As opposed to physically insane?

>According to this logic, we abstracted out the care and upkeep of horses from transportation in order to 'train the users to be lazy'.
How does this make any sense whatsoever? Go to 'run' (because of course you're probably a windows user) and type 'cmd'. Bam. There's a command line. Every consumer OS and computer ever shipped has a command line. You're still required to use it if you want to actually change or modify important parts of your computer.

You're basically saying that every OS should become a phone OS. But guess what? You still need that command line to make any serious change to your operating system whether it's on a phone or a desktop.

That's why the user should be allowed to use it anyplace they desire. People jailbreak their phones to do something as simple as install an app that's not approved by the manufacturer for a reason.

I am still going to keep chugging along with my own custom Gentoo installation and maintaining my own packages if I have to.

Does Gentoo die in the future? Fine. Linux From Scratch. I don't care. I will maintain my own system, I have the autism. My computer will be my own, and that's final.

you misspelled fedora

This is the right idea.
Let the world burn and don't care.

*arch oops sorry guys haha

>"My computer will be my own"
>Uses someone else's kernel with millions of SLOC
>UEFI backdoored firmware for dessert

You are not an autist, you are a retard. A connoisseur can distinguish the subtle differences.

Attached: 1552462338333.jpg (387x420, 48K)

i use arch btw

Don't you mean Manjaro KDE aka ManDE?

Attached: Manjaro KDE.png (720x467, 201K)

>what's next?
8 000 000 000 distros.
So everyone has it's own distro. We have not enough distros!

>make the command line a fundamental part
>just modernize the OS
pick one. the terminal in all its forms is a holdover from the days before bitmapped displays were affordable. A graphical alternative already exists for sed- its name is Sam. Literally every other Unix command has, or could have, a more powerful and ergonomic graphical counterpart, as well.

eliminate every distro except for the following:
>debian stable
>ubuntu
>gentoo
eliminate every WM/DE except for the following:
>KDE
>GNOME
>i3
combinations of the above cover every use case and desirable feature set. Imagine if everyone working on meme projects like Arch or xmonad suddenly started dumping all their resources into a handful of well-established, time-tested projects.

sudo rm kebab

>just modernize the OS itself
You're playing with fire here. UNIX/LINUX weenies adhere to POSIX and its paradigms like muslims adhere to the Koran.

1,000,000,001 distros