Git?

Where do you store your code? I have been exclusively using my laptop to code, with everything just stored on it. I now would like to hop on other machines and work on my code right where i left off. How do I go about doing this? Is this where github comes in? (im a noob)

Attached: 03-setup-git-lfs.png (1350x1010, 46K)

You need a remote repo. Github, gitlabs, BitBucket, etc.

No point using anything other than github now that it has private repositories t.b.h

some autists will swear off it because microsoft bought it but I mean, it still works and innocent until proven guilty.

So github will essentiallly server as a file storage for my code then?

Noob here as well, why don't you use any cloud service to store your code? Like. Any.

you can host your own, all you'd need to do is have your remote repo be exposed as a network share, over ssh, HTTP, etc.
but you sound incapable of doing that

>is this where github comes in?
Kind of. It’s not the main goal of git or other version control software but it can be useful for this sort of thing. However, there are time when you’ll inevitably not be able to get to a good commit point and which means either making a bad commit so the code you’re working on is available on the other computer or finding another way to sync the code (possibly just copying to a usb and replacing the project on your other machine). Additionally, if you ever forget to push to the server and you don’t have access to the machine with the most recent code then you’re out of luck.

For keeping projects synced between multiple computers you may want to use a cloud service. Just make sure multiple people don’t have access to the project from there. If you’re collaborating you should still only share code via git and github (or whatever other git host you’re using).

These. Repos are more for collaborative work.
>now would like to hop on other machines and work on my code right where i left off
Just use any cloud storage. Like hell if that's too hard, put your shit on a usb and work directly on that. Wow, the more I read your question the shittier this thread turns out to be.

Microsoft's developer oriented shit is actually fucking great right now. I didn't think twice about putting shit in the free private repos. What are they gonna go anywhere, steal my weeb oriented code?

a 16 gigabyte flash drive attached to my keychain

> How do I go about doing this?
You can use git over ssh (yes, running a normal sshd suffices) or the git protocol.

> Is this where github comes in? (im a noob)
You don't need the web frontend thingies in general, they're only maybe useful if you want to share code with other people and they prefer to have a web interface to the git cli.

the real question is why do people hate Microsoft more than they hate authoritarian scum?

>implying megacorps aren't inherently authoritarian
shut the fuck up liberal

communism relies on a central authority you authoritarian faggot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism

you illiterate shitlib

Stop having a seizure, you knee jerking loser.
You must be new here and new at life if you don't know that trannies are authoritarian scum.

I dont see the reason to switch from BitBucket to Github

>muh trans people want respect
keep crying shitlib. i never even said anything about trans people.

GitHub is not just a cloud storage service. It's a cloud storage service that is an integral part of a bigger tool, git. It's used for version control. It makes having multiple people, on multiple machines all contributing to the same project much easier.

sick, have fun when you loose that shit

Notepad

Not him, but what are the chances that he loses his zip disquette drive at the same time that his HDD bites it?

I still have all my shit on my various computers. If I lose my drive, I can just pull my stuff off of my boxes - worst case scenario, I lose a day or two of work.