Are cat7 eternet cables a scam?

Attached: 1531932734275.png (473x521, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

edesk.belden.com/products/techdata/EUR/1885ENH V8.pdf
neobits.com/mikrotik_crs305_1g_4s_in_cloud_router_switch_305_p13384368.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes. Cat6 are as well. Cat5e can handle 1Gbit over 100m just fine.

What if I need 10Gbit?

Depends on the distance. It's always about the distance, and PoE too.

edesk.belden.com/products/techdata/EUR/1885ENH V8.pdf

• International standard: ISO/IEC 11801 2nd edition (2002) and ISO/IEC 11801 Amendment 2 (2010)
• European standard: EN 50173-1 (2002) and EN 50173-1 Amendment 1 (2009)

The ones on amazon? Yes definitely.
Actual CAT7? Nope it's great.

>not using Cat8
fucking pleb

>Not using Cat2080Ti
heh nothing personnel kid

Attached: 1550712356212.png (360x408, 433K)

>As of 2017 there is no equipment that has connectors supporting the Class F (Category 7) channel.
>Category 7 is not recognized by the TIA/EIA.

why haven't we switched to fiber yet?

SPF+ equipment is cheaper for 10gbit. Also just checked the wiki. They claim cat6 is up to 55 and cat6a is the full 100 meters. sounds like the market is going to be full of snakeoil merchants with their "CAT6" cables for 'up to' 10gbit over 100meters*

*clearly not at the same time.

For the average consumer yes because cat6 is better than cat5 because it's numbered higher. Normal people with a company owned modem (which is 90% of the US) won't get anything out of anything more than cat6e (because fiber.) Alot of people have PoE security cams as well. I have 4 myself.

2.5 and 5gbe are going to change things, you'll see a lot of CAT6 get deployed for distribution and CAT7 in the IDF and racks

Fiber is a pain in the ass. Terminating cables requires a $10k splicer. If you bend it too much is breaks. If you forget to cap an end after you unplug it, dust destroys it. You need bulky and expensive SFP modules. There are multiple and incompatible standards for everything - connectors, refractive material, wavelength, duplex, etc.

It's not worth it unless you need long length or resistance to electromagnetic interference.

Attached: wtf am i reading.png (400x400, 9K)

cat7 is bloat

The snake oil been up for sale for a while now, just look for cat6e.

Where would one find those "actual cat7"?

ones where the plug is rj45, theyre a scam
real ones have gg45 plug

Can a pleb get some reference material from a cool guy, I'd like to know more about fiber?

Depends on where you live? I buy CAT7 drums at the same place my workplace buys it's network equipment and then crimp them myself.

If you want 10GBaseT
cat7 with RJ45 is perfect.
If you want more than 10GBaseT, you need GG45 connectors.
And after 40 GBaseT, you have to go with fiber.

Infiniband is absolutely based but so fucking expensive.

I have this type of cat7, works perfectly fine.
You just need special RJ45 for cat7 since the wires are thicker than cat6.

Attached: 81-UOImyP0L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1226, 169K)

Most common is probably single mode, 1310 nm, Lucent connector, UPC polish. Look up what each of those means and you'll see how tricky it is to order compatible parts.

For such high speed connector and cable that is the lowest resolution photo of a cable spool I have ever seen.

better now?

Attached: 52303_g.jpg (1600x1600, 422K)

The intern was probably asked to go to the storage and take a pic for the online store. Why would you need high resolution photos for literally a spool of (usually) orange tubes?

>fiber
I wonder...

Attached: fiber.png (1693x1197, 332K)

Is there any point going with anything over category 6a when it comes to new home construction?

cat8 should support 40Gbit/s
try that on cat6a.

>100g
>10km
cherry picking much>

CAT7 can do 10GB which will come to home networks in the next few years so considering that it costs barely more than 6a I'd consider the pros outweighing the cons of having to rip out the cables and lay new ones when you want a better in home network down the line.

why not just put fiber in there instead?

wait

Attached: fiber maaaaaan.png (1487x825, 280K)

Fiber has a much higher cost than CAT7 and you lock yourself into the fiber you chose because there are about a million standards and none are compatible with others.

10m better?

Attached: wuuuuuuuuut.png (1770x566, 124K)

pic is only 50 bucks

Attached: 1544734527427.jpg (1000x1000, 328K)

>not making your own ethernet cable using pure silver

yikes

>1000Base-SX
try harder

This. I Use SFP+ Direct Attach Copper in my rack at work. It's good for up to 5 metres, high bandwidth and pretty cheap too. Heck you can buy a 4 port sfp+ 10gb switch for less than 200 euro now.

Yes, much better. Though the writeup on the cable is upside down. Could you respool the entire cable and retake the photo for me? I like the orange, looks like this cable has been a bad little boy and has to serve jailtime in a communist-operated datacenter.

>1000Base-SX
What's even the point?

you can use the same fiber and upgrade to faster speed in the future

1gb eth. Jesus kid

neobits.com/mikrotik_crs305_1g_4s_in_cloud_router_switch_305_p13384368.html

now theres the job

Git gud nigger.
It's easier and faster to install than copper. The difference in making 192 copper lines vs 192 fiber lines is immense. You can get 96 fiber lines in a single cable. You only need to run two of those fuckers instead of 96 copper duplex cables. With a two man team, it's a breeze to terminate the lines and takes like ~30min per 24. 192 copper cables will take a riddiculous amount of space from vents and racks and it's a huge pain in the ass just to pull those lines from one rack to another. Terminating them will take ages because it requires precision from humans, instead of machines and by the end of it, you'll wish you could just cut your fingers off to end the pain after crimping 384 female CAT adapters.

Attached: fiber.jpg (800x800, 83K)

>96 copper duplex cables
why would you ever wanna do that?

buy a spool made by an actual company like Lapp and not china shit

I really wouldn't want to do it ever again though.

User error is a problem, but not so much with the equipment.

I put cat6 in my house because it was barely more expensive than cat5e. I don't have any 10 gigabit hardware though.
I get fiber from my IPS, terminating the cable seemed like a huge pain. Copper is good enough for the vast majority of people.

>Copper is good enough for the vast majority of people.
All most people want is big numbers to impress their friends. Coper won't do that.
They believe that fibre will guarantee big numbers, but we all know better.

Yeah, I just ran cat6 (not shielded) in my house because it's almost the same price as 5e, but all my equipment is 1 Gbps.

>100G
That's a bretty gud price, m8.

I have 8 meters of Cat7 cable in Australia. But due to our shit internet I will never be able to use the cable to its full potential.

>impressing your friends with local network speeds

Attached: 1540519592296.png (800x770, 492K)

why live?

Gbe networking will be obsolete soon as GB internet comes around for all into people's homes.

However that won't happen for a while, least in the U.S. Our internet backbone is overloaded as it is. Would require massive funds to upgrade it. Till we get GB internet to the home that's when 10GB or 2.5GB or 5GB Ethernet for home use will really take off. But for the average home user now, anything over GB is really not needed unless your moving several TB around on a daily basis.

lurk more plebbitfag

I use 40gbps QSFP fiber/copper at home. You can get 32 port switches off ebay for less than $200.

I got 2 10g transceivers for $20 on ebay

>massive funds
>crumbling infastructure
why the shit do i pay comcast $130/mo

Fiber is better.

>still 100g
You don't have the equipment to handle 100g, sperglord.

>why the shit do i pay comcast $130/mo
Because there's no competition.

The "competition" is 7mbit dsl

7 mbit with no bandwidth cap is more bytes transferred per month than comcast allows, worth it if you have the capability to time shift your downloads

I'm paying them the jew fee for unlimited because we use over 2tb on average
7mbit is not enough for 1 hd video stream

You dont splice, you buy the right length to start of with, MM fibre is just as cheap, if not cheaper than cat6
>If you bend it too much is breaks.
cat6 has a minimum bend radius too.
> If you forget to cap an end after you unplug it, dust destroys it
Plug it into a transceiver and leave it in there
>You need bulky and expensive SFP modules
They are $15ea and the 10gig sfp+ nics cost $10, actually cheaper than 10gbe nics and switches
>There are multiple and incompatible standards for everything
The communication encoding that travels down the fibre is the same from every vendor, it's the transeiver that have compatibility issues, and even then it's pretty minor. I have cisco, mellanox and arista sfp transeivers all coming out a mikrotech switch no probs
>connectors, refractive material, wavelength, duplex, etc.
Takes 5 mins of reading to know what you need.

Attached: 1524362757351.webm (720x404, 1.81M)

>plug it into a transceiver and leave it
this

Also as long as you're using the same transceiver on both ends you should be just fine

Someone picked up this ultra shielded cable for our office. I assumed it was CAT7 because I'd never seen anything like it.. but no it's just CAT6 with far too much shielding. If you try and wrap it up you can't make a loom less than about two foot in diameter due to how solid this shit is.

>You dont splice, you buy the right length to start of with

Which is fine is you're doing server->switch right next to it, but if the question is "why haven't we switched everything to fibre", noone is going to buy prefab to wire up a whole building.

Are you saying I didn't need this?

Attached: cin.png (900x339, 195K)

>noone is going to buy prefab to wire up a whole building.
Then they are an idiot. Draw up your wiring plan and have cables made up. Simple.

This is our approved supplier. No cat 7 :(

Attached: 4cabling.png (1297x784, 249K)

Unironically, using these to prevent sixty year old women unplugging desktops has been a god send.

Attached: Capture.png (993x538, 76K)

And the award for the worst bait of the century goes tooooo

I do.

>AUD 132 for 50 RJ45 connectors...
better get them on aliexpress

Attached: jebus kwist.png (1702x645, 282K)

>twisted wire pairs in macro

Attached: img.png (1246x1246, 30K)

Even here in Wisconsin I have access to 1Gbps. The East and West coast are also 1Gbps ready, and that's about 50% of the population alone.

what the FUCK?
that's only ONE piece...

Attached: what the fugg.png (1590x645, 176K)

As an Australian. Fuck no

use plastic instead of glass

I'm using mostly CAT8

Attached: Wireworld-Starlight-Ethernet-CAT8.jpg (1268x664, 117K)

Just put CAT 7a 1200Mhz in our house, however that's just for future proofing. We still installed RJ45 on them.
They're a lot thicker than Cat6 so it's not really usable everywhere.

Attached: 123071_1000215_0.jpg (1500x129, 50K)

That's a thing.
My father used it to get clients in the 90s when he owned an ISP/Advertising business and I have a buddy whose father owns an IT company today who does the same.

I'm legit wondering, what the fuck does justify this price?

>Why is this tech that offers 100G over 10KM so expensive when normal ethernet often doesn't even manage anything beyond ~70 feet no matter what the spec sheet says

based

If you can't trust one spec sheet why trust this one?
You can't be sure Ethernet gives the speed it says so why can you be sure that you're going to get 100G over 10Km?

I sometimes think about trying to improvise high speed ethernet over those shitty TOSlink cables that came out for digital audio interfacing in the 80s.

One place I worked had a lot of trouble with static, and NICs being killed by static on the network was a fairly regular occurrance. So the idea of using cheapo fiber equipment seemed like an interesting possibility. I think it might be limited to 125Mb, though.

Are the metal parts on these supposed to shock you? I've got one of these at home and got shocked by it the other day.

they redirect those killer 5G waves into the ground

all shielded cables (Ethernet/coax) have to be grounded at one end to prevent this and fatalities in case of defect

Something has gone fucky with your house wiring for there to be a huge enough current leak to ground to shock you

The spec sheet isn't the problem. The problem is manufacturers not following the spec but saying it actually does. Basically if you buy "Cat7" Ethernet cables on Amazon don't be surprised if it turns out they are shit.
On the other hand I haven't seen a fibre cable yet that didn't work exactly as it should that didn't have some sort of defect.

>That price for a non-Cisco module
What the fug

Attached: 1536880406176.jpg (800x800, 108K)

Jesus Christ, audiophiles should be murdered.