16 GB RAM is enough

>16 GB RAM is enough

Attached: images (6).jpg (764x401, 15K)

>2019
>only having 16gb of ram

8 gb quad channel is enough for gaming

I don't think I've ever used an Electron "app," what's the benefit?

>what's the benefit?
Good question

>16gb
laughs in 4 gb

You want to edit a source code file. Do you choose
Atom, an Electron app
>syntax highlighting, search, all the usual stuff
>uses a couple GB RAM
>needs a fast CPU to launch quickly and avoid lag
>chokes on files over a MB or two
Or
PFE, a native Win32 application
>syntax highlighting, search, all the usual stuff
>exe is under half a meg
>launches instantly, runs well on a potato
>uses a couple megs of RAM tops, unless you load a large file
>handles large files acceptably but can't load anything over about 1 GB because it's 32 bit

I'll go with Atom because it sounds cool.

See, this is the value of Electron. It builds apps that sound and look cool.

>Not maxing out all your DIMM slots and your chipsets maximum supported memory from day 1

Poorfag general?

>RAM
>CPU
>file size
None of these words mean anything to the consumer.
But pretty and easy gui is everything.

I just use Emacs?

>the consumer
Developers are a completely different animal than your typical consumer or even the alpha version of the typical consumer, the "Power User."

The wise richfag doesn't throw money away without reason. My board has 8 slots and supports up to 128 GB. 64 was already pushing the limits of what I could come up with a use case for, so I bought four 16 GB DIMMs and left the other four slots open for future expansion should the need arise.

>meme productive: maxxing out so you can constantly build your shitty electron app because it's huge and your code is always buggy
>actually productive: write your code and it compiles great as you have a beer, the actual build time is irrelevant because you're not a pajeet

The consumer may notice that one app opens instantly when they click it, which another churns for a while before displaying a splash screen and churning some more. Besides, the average consumer should just be using Notepad or Word for editing text.

Guess his PC is too old then.
Better buy a new one.

The average consumer then goes to Walmart and buys whatever laptop is on sale for $200 and then complains when it runs as slowly as the last one. Finally in exasperation, he goes to the Apple store and shells out for a Mac, which forces him to buy a high end machine for a high end price. Naturally he's blown away and swears off Windows for good.

the benefit is mostly to the developer. to the user, you get to see pretty UI i guess.

>laughs
Yeah...

Attached: 1514430954593.gif (400x279, 1.78M)

yep, that's a yikes from me

>what's the benefit?
There isn't one. It's an abstraction layer that allows webdev faggots to build desktop applications in their shitty javascript.

I choose Sublime Text (UNREGISTERED).

fumino a shit

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

There is a benefit when it comes to remote access. Recently some news in that regards when it comes to VS Code.

Are Electron & ZFS sponsored by Micron, Samsung and SK-Hynix ?

You know what that would actually make sense

Lets you write a desktop app as if you were creating a website. It really just wraps your project in chromium and gives you features for developing an installed app.

Upside is, it lets developers make very intricate UI's and stuff. Also very good for productivity. VS Code and Discord use it.

Downside, it's basically running chromium so it has the overhead of a web browser.

Many trash it for being bloated, and rightfully so. Ultimately if you use it, you have to ask yourself if the first class user interface is worth the cost of running at the efficiency of a browser.

Install Geany.

8gb is all you'll ever need *sips

id say 4gb is enough unless ur a gamer

What else would you use? I've found even a simple cli java app will use 30-40 Meg's of memory.

>16 GB RAM is enough
However.

Going for 32gb

Attached: 1553193705457.jpg (800x663, 71K)

8gb enough for everything except high end gaming.

Dont gamers use Discord which sucks 8 GB of ram by itself

visual studio, of course.

I don't want to invest in 32gb of ram now when ddr5 might be coming next year.

Wire has a prett- nvm

The idea behind Electron is fucking amazing honestly

>Uses CSS which is the absolute best GUI tool there is
>its apps run smoothly and fast
>easy to dev for because JS is simple but decent
>multiplatform

God if only it wasnt bloated i'd be perfect

Don't forget it's also running a Node.js backend for every instance of Electron you have open.

From Wikipedia
> lack of Unicode supoort
Germanfag here: thanks, but no thanks

It's also using thousands of dependencies from NPM which are probably backdoored and will infect your system.

this

Based

[citation needed]

Dürr, mein code needs ümlauts in comments.

Attached: osa_sakuya.png (384x315, 30K)

>Not using NOX For every normie shit at max 1gb/2gb
Absolutely disgusting

>cli java app
>native Win32 application
Learn to read user.

>uses a couple GB RAM
In reality it's more like 300 to 500 MB, which is still a lot for what more electron programs do.

The only benefit is that now you can use your webdev pajeet team for creating "apps" too.

Can't you just add an e in place of the umlauts?
Koennen Sie dies nicht machen?
And a double s in place of esstets?

Visual Studio Code, which is made with Electron

Now multiply that build and development time for multiple platforms

>JS
Literally choose one. JS is pure cancer as are the people calling themselves "jS dEvElOpEr".
Electron as an idea is nice. In practice it should be thrown in the trash, and the bag then burned.