MS slapped some eye candy on Windows 2000 and sold it to home users. XP wasn't a perfect OS...

MS slapped some eye candy on Windows 2000 and sold it to home users. XP wasn't a perfect OS, it just came out at the perfect time.
>Was a big upgrade from 98, which was what most home users were using
>Hardware was advancing fast, so it felt lightning fast on what was considered low-end hardware just a few years after release
>Everyone and their dog started getting a computer
>If you had broadband, the Internet felt lightning-fast because everything was still designed for dial-up
>Vista was crap, giving more time for people to use XP and develop fond memories of it

Attached: xp-56aa11bc5f9b58b7d000b196.jpg (768x512, 26K)

>slapped some eye candy on Windows 2000

I think the hardest part was to provide compatibility for old Win98 programs with the NT kernel. Also port DirectX and shit.

When will XP shills finally admit that ME was the superior OS?

Attached: 640px-Microsoft_Windows_Millenium_Edition_Logo.svg.png (640x183, 34K)

How was ME better than XP?

You're edgy in a Jow Forums way

Attached: ohyou.jpg (451x339, 22K)

Just like how they changed the taskbar on Vista and called it a day.

Attached: Winblows7.jpg (1279x799, 139K)

Vista > 7

wtfamireading.jpg

>non-NT OS was superior to NT OS!

Attached: takumi.png (999x542, 429K)

Why is everyone constantly doing mental gymnastics trying to prove Windows XP isn't a good OS? It was fucking everywhere and people are even still using it today almost 18 years later. It wasn't just timing or luck, it was actually really really good, and arguably Microsoft's best.

2000 & XP were more similar initially at release and a few years after but over time they diverged more heavily and XP became the much more well supported O/S. I remember 2000 being fine during the XP era but I tried it out recently and it just lacks support for everything without modding it and even then it still isn't great. XP has SP3 and is still "pseudo modern".

Upgrade culture.

Windows XP is good per se, but it's just shit on top of 2000.

Running 7 in my laptop and XP in my desktop. I don't need anything else. Fuck Win10 and fuck auto-updates.

>2019
>having an XP machine connected to the Internet

lol

i see everyone forgot how much XP was hated on release

People hate new things.

they didnt hate it because it was new. they hated it because it ran like shit on most hardware that people had. plus it came out at a time that as soon as you plugged the ethernet port, you became infected with some bullshit malware/virus

Nobody remembers that XP was a nightmare when it first came out. It had literally no drivers.

That was Vista, Win2k drivers work with XP

Most OEMs preinstalled XP in FAT32 partition and defaults to administrator user that defeats NT security.

It's not like you turn your computer on, and it magically gets blasted with malware upon reaching the desktop. If you're capable of browsing the internet responsibly, and refrain form downloading shit like 'crawlinginmyskin.mp3.exe' you don't have much to worry about. As far as browsers go, the guys over at MSFN release weekly builds of Pale Moon for XP.

Home users didn't have Win2k. They were upgrading from 98 or ME.

>XP wasn't a perfect OS, it just came out at the perfect time.
It also overstayed its welcome by at least 5 years.
Gave Microsoft time enough to write 2 new versions of Windows that each failed in its own way.

Don't forget making it twice as heavy.

IT on Vista was hell, though. Loading user profiles was dogshit slow if they weren't logged on often enough (common on a university campus). Worst cases were 45+ mins (worst I saw was well past the hour mark). The upgrade to Windows 7 machines instantly fixed this issue.

Oddly specific, sure, but it just goes to show that there is nuance between OS versions that people ignore or never notice.

>muh commen sanse
Unpatched software potentially has holes that can be exploited even if the user isn't retarded, and finding them in XP is still viable for malware groups because the third world is full of internet connected XP boxes.

Makes sense but this has never ever happened to anyone I know
>potentially
Oh I see now.

Every version of Windows is shit when it first comes out. It takes time to build up compatibility, security and stability. The difference with XP is that once it did mature with SP2 it stayed around for a little while longer.

XP was unusable till SP2

>>If you had broadband, the Internet felt lightning-fast because everything was still designed for dial-up
bullshit

windows xp was peak comfiness
y'll never know the please to first log in on a fresh install of xp

Attached: WindowsXP.jpg (640x480, 89K)

I've never had this problem either. Windows XP is still a great operating system in 2019, on machines that don't need to address more than 4GB of memory.

this is retarded advice; the comparative risk by running WinXP is minuscule compared to running ""Microsoft-supported"" Win10 chock full of backdoors.

Like every other microsoft os it was bloated and shitty and needed years of driver updates/support and service packs to not suck.

Install both on a 128MB 500MHz PC with all updates applied, then tell me which one feels more useful and responsive.