/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1366049107494.jpg (1632x1224, 343K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4RQEqwz-HZ8
viewfinderdesign.co.uk/archive/757/running-a-4k-screen-using-a-radeon-hd-5450/
furick.com/icbd/2014/02/enable-4k-resolution-with-ati-hd-5770-and-seiki-39-se39u04/
jonnyguru.com/
discord.gg/Mk8K8Sy
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1454102-REG/evga_11g_p4_2281_kr_geforce_rtx_2080_ti.html
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Pmyggw
dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2719dgf/apd/210-arcj/monitors-monitor-accessories
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yq74bX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Continuing from the other thread

looking for more feedback about running a 1080 strix without the cooler shroud. is it safe? need to shave off a few mms from total lenght in itx build (AIO radiator conflict)

So I could run a VII and 2080 Ti together?

really think you voided warranty
if you didnt then it should be fine. check if it isnt restricting flow from fans to heatsink, if it was yous in trouble

neutral air flow
2 in, 2 out. but consider how the PSU will be installed, is it gonna drain hot air from inside as well?

I would assume so. I don't see why not. Not sure what your use case is, though, so I don't know how effective it would be.
For instance, I only wanted an Nvidia card PhysX in some games, as well as CUDA rendering for other stuff. It's quite a bit weaker than my RX 580, but doesn't drag down performance.
Besides, unless Nvidia have backpedalled on their decision, there should be no conflicts with drivers.
I'd honestly say just swap her out. I wouldn't risk it dying of old age or anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=4RQEqwz-HZ8

Here is a takedown vid. Essentially I'd be running the cooler as it is shown around 4:17, obviously still attached to the pcb though. Does it look like it would make a noticeable difference in temps?

Is a 6 year old HGST 7K4000 hard drive worth buying? Or will it be unreliable? Best 4TB HDD under $100? Market is so scarce.

well shit, answered wrong person but you get the idea. any feedback welcome.

Would this help, or make the cooling performance worse?

Attached: scrambled.jpg (400x266, 104K)

When will OP also include info on mobos, PSUs, cases, coolers, fans etc?

You might need to look into Windows issues not showing all available display resolutions then.

It looks like there's also an application called CRU that you can use to access more resolution options. I read about it here and here:

viewfinderdesign.co.uk/archive/757/running-a-4k-screen-using-a-radeon-hd-5450/

furick.com/icbd/2014/02/enable-4k-resolution-with-ati-hd-5770-and-seiki-39-se39u04/

>Emily
Are you are real girl or tranny?

>mobos
z370 or z390, msi, asus, gigabyte and asrock are the only options
>psu
jonnyguru.com/
>case
literally anything
>coolers
noctua, corsair AIOs
>fans
noctua

Does anyone know if the degradation issues with the samsung 840 evo were fixed? It was my first 1tb ssd and I'm kinda regretting it unless it's fixed.

i am not very smart
is there any other manufacturer of expandable AiOs?

Do any of you think there's a need for YouTube channels that delid CPU's just for the sake of finding out whether they're soldered or not?
Similarly, is there a site like Intel's Ark or Wikichip that mention whether a CPU is soldered or not?

is my pc ok

I'm doing it to save space. I'm hoping it won't make much of a difference.

I think that's relatively easy information to find with a google of the product. Gamers Nexus or their friends (Buildzoid, Kingpin etc.) probably also mention it.

Swap her out with what? Another liquid cooler? If not would just a heatsink be fine?

no

What is the cheapest 2080 TI right now?
Just missed the $1000 EVGA one

looking at getting a 9900k for gaming/work since i need it.

but i just saw the ryzen 3000 series might release fairly soon. Should i wait? part of my hesitation is that im used to doing assembly in intel syntax and would hate to have to relearn the syntax uses for their cpus.

if its a i7 it does not simply because you might be used, or needing, all that expensive power
with i5 it kinda depends on how much you consider OCing, since a OCed i5 is tecnically already better that 99% of all amd cpus

kinda just wanted to get the best cause i dont mind spending the dosh. wanted to go as high as i can consumer wise since i dont build desktops that often. maybe once every 4 years and id like to stretch that time off further

Anyone tried putting a custom cooler on their GPUs?
Pic related is a morpheus II cooler with two gentle typoon fans on a 2080 TI.

Attached: 1522566412998.png (1280x720, 1.37M)

whats your monitor?
a i7 might be nice if you plan on anything above 60fps or even above 144fps

dont do hybrids, get a custom plate or nothing at all
theres a NZXT aio adapter but it doesnt cool vrm and memory so its a bad idea on the long run

i have some shitty monitor but im gonna get a 1440p 144mhz monitor when i build my new desktop

not a hybrid

Also middle is the stock EVGA heatsink, the top is the Morpheus II

Attached: 1523774865609.png (1196x647, 851K)

Cases, coolers, and fans have far more variety in the market, making it harder to recommend a specific product, especially when different customers may value loudness, aesthetic, and cooling differently. The prices for these products are far more dynamic too (cases can double or half in price based on demand). Overall, it's much harder to recommend something specific compared to a cpu or gpu

where did you got the bigger heatsink and why didnt it had its own fans?

got a new PSU for my system, looks like some of the fan cutout is blocked by the psu shroud. Does anything think this is enough blockage to cause it to overheat?

Attached: 55935238_2607767195931374_116817750332014592_n.jpg (800x600, 58K)

Join the official Jow Forums discord server..
discord.gg/Mk8K8Sy

NOO NO NO NON ON NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONT. DELETE THIS NOW RIGHT NOW WE DONT NEED THIS

>AIOs

Attached: 1451072210586.png (800x600, 444K)

>since a OCed i5 is tecnically already better that 99% of all amd cpus
He even said he's going to be using it for work and you have the audacity to recommend a fucking i5? Kill yourself, ESL shitter.

You gotta buy your own 120mm fans, you can slap a noctua fan on your GPU which is very cool and better than the stock fans

Attached: 1528835450170.png (1175x655, 904K)

yea which is why i was wondering if i should just spend the dosh and get the i9 or wait for ryzen 3070x

r8 my build :^)

Attached: 55615870_423705508190425_5895510579958775808_n.jpg (2048x1536, 278K)

If you don't need it immediately Zen 2 might be worth checking out, even if it's just to see how intel/retailers respond with pricing changes.

yea i was noticing yesterday that the entiner zen 2000 line dropped about 50 bux. id just hate to wait 6 months and then get caught in this never ending cycle of waiting for the next best thing

Linus forums have tiers for PSU's, easy just to get something out of tier 1. Personal recommendation is be quiet straight power 11

You are going to get some RGB hate, but I like it, really clean.

There's always something better around the corner, and a better deal to be had as tech gets older. It all just depends on when you wanna spend. Zen2 will probably be very good but it's not like the 9900k is going to suck as soon as it gets released. It'll still be a really good CPU for years to come.

single m.2 pcie nvme vs 2x sata raid 0 drives for gaming, apart from the increased failure rate, which is better?

wat site? this looks interesting
can that heatsink still expel air to the exterior of the case?

>AIO
0/10

the NVMe is tecnically better but not by a great margin
just go with the best performance ratio

>he has an air cooler
>he blows hot air all around his case
top kek

Attached: stock-photo-teenager-technology-girls-smiling-lifestyle-happy-teen-laughing-smartphone-e59c7b16-613b (640x427, 81K)

>implying bitches don't want a computer that can double as a hair dryer

>he needs a buzzing warbly pump shooting a potentially leaky mystery meme fluid through his expensive PC to keep it cool in his gayman case because an aircooler would "ruin the aesthetics, mom"
The AIO-Virgin vs. The NH-D15 Chad

Go to NewEgg. Type "2080 TI" sort by 'Price Lowest' and then buy it. That's the cheapest 2080 TI right now.

>Newegg
>parts in cart, order them
>get confirmation page with order number
>cart is still full
>no confirmation email
>order number doesnt bring up any order
Does this happen to anyone else? Do I have to wait? Last time I ordered from them this didn't happen.

Nah, cheapest one I see is at BH
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1454102-REG/evga_11g_p4_2281_kr_geforce_rtx_2080_ti.html

It was a shitpost to an absolutely awful question.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Pmyggw
i dont plan on overclocking so could i get away with a cheaper Motherboard
will only be used for gaymin and blender worl, no video editing or anything like that, so should i go for intel 8700k or 9700k (more cores)
i wouldnt mind lowering its price but i dont know what to sacrifice, i would have gone for the 2070 but everyone says its a waste of money but between modding up games and doing blender i would rather 8gb vram then just 6gb, 11 would have been preferable but fucking nvidia, i would go amd but i dont want to give up phsyx and you cant buy the phsyx cards separately anymore as far as i know
fuck this is stressful pulling the trigger on this thing, anyone else get stressed when locking in a new build worrying about if you spent to much compared to what you needed it to do

Is physx still even a thing? The 2070 also has 8 GB for what it's worth.

i play alot of older games, i think its alot less comman now, but a game as recent as fallout 4 still implemented it
does anyone know if the msi armour z has good cooling, i heard there are a few brands that do a shit job of it

>poo fans
kek

dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2719dgf/apd/210-arcj/monitors-monitor-accessories

y/n?

So the Ryzen 7 2700 is 25% off on Amazon RIGHT NOW. Is it worth it at $220, or is it DOA since gen 3 is out in 6 months?

>since gen 3 is out in 6 months?
try 3 or 4.

is zen 2 gonna be worth it anons? im building a new computer and a friend told me to waitâ„¢ till july

Hopefully.

Vega 64 on a 550w bronze. Y/n?

Not worth it to wait, decent hardware is already out

It's fine

Nope, not DOA, although unless you're video editing it's still better to buy a 6c/12t now and upgrade later to a 12c when games actually use something more than an R5

theres always decent hardware out. but i heard the new 3800k showed some impressive benchmarks over the 9900k

Windows 10 wont fucking install.

Gets to 10%, sometimes 50%, other times 90%, one time it went through the whole thing then crashed when it was restarting and put me back to square one.

I used this same USB on another machine and it was fine. Is my RAM shitting the bed?

If RAM is so fast why don't they make cars out of it?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid post

I've been sitting on an i5 2500k for about a decade, only upgrading from a 480 to a 1070 in that time and my gigabyte mobo gave out just a while ago.

I'm waiting for Ryzen 3 to drop before replacing mobo+cpu+ram, and I'm looking for opinions on best mobo brand for longevity and bios quality. I'd like to decide on exact board myself, but don't want my mobo to crap out again before my CPU even becomes a bottleneck (I only just started to have to OC past 4ghz)

From the current gpu lineup, what's the closest possibe gpu I can possibly get to match 290 performance?
Old fucker might be dying if not dead already and I don't really want to buy the gimped gpus in the market right now as I plan to get an actual good gpu in around a year or so
I just want to keep using the stuff I use on same settings and not worry much without spending top dime and I really don't know shit about current pc parts as I've been out of touch with it for years.

Attached: 1234345454657.jpg (374x374, 41K)

Is R5 2600 + rx580 as good as everyone claims it to be or it's just a meme?

Attached: FB_IMG_1550445848603.jpg (1172x960, 116K)

Consider spending $40 more to get the GTX 1660, otherwise it is a decent buy for high/ultra 1080p now, medium 1080p in the future.

gtx 1660 will perform at the same or better on all types of rendering. radeon 580 will do better in most rendering except for splatted flocking. 580 will be about the same. so either the 580 or 1660

If you're planning on rendering anything in blender, you'll be highly utilizing the 2700x over a long period of time. Without proper cooling, your cpu could overheat. I would suggest heavily investing in a quality cpu cooler and a case that can create fantastic air flow. You can also get similar storage and ram for cheaper.
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yq74bX
I would do this if you have the budget for it.

>i-i was shitposting
sure

Wont play BF5 much higher than 50-60 fps on ultra.

>1660 would be better
>1660 will perform same or better
>but 580 wil do better

I'm getting mixed signals here

The 580 is better for non-gaymen performance.

580 will be near the performance of the 290, sometimes performing worse. the 1660 will always perform better or the same as the 290

do I buy an RTX 2060, a GTX 1080, or a 1660ti

would be playing on a 240hz 1080p monitor btw

RTX 2060 is the best value before diminishing returns.

Actually you should do 4 case fans instead of 6but i'd still recommend what I posted

Yeah but that fucking 6GB of memory. They cucked it.I was looking at the 2070, and USUALLY, the 70 series is the best value, but this time, it seems it's the worst value. I don't even get why the 2070 and 2080 exist. It's clear the only card that's even a big upgrade is the 2080 ti and that thing is buku bucks.

I have a 1070ti which performs similarly to the 2060, and I can't get 240hz performance outside specific games like csgo and osu. You'll be disappointing if you plan on playing single player games like prey at 240hz with a 2060. Although I can run it at 160hz with settings turned down, you might want to look at the 2070 even if you're planning on playing single player games at high refresh rates above 160hz

im gonna sell my 1080ti here in a little bit and i was thinking it would be funny to fart into my intake so that when i sell it whoever owns the card next smells my ass while gaming

Honestly, I wasn't really expecting to hit anywhere near close to 240hz. I'm fine as long as I'm above 120. I was just gonna get that alienware because it seemed like a good deal.

Or should I get 144hz 2K resolution instead?

What are the best speaker system I can get for around $130? Mainly for gaming use.

I went the higher refresh rate in 1080 route since it's much much harder to have a high refresh rate in single player games at 1440p. You can get a 144hz 2k monitor and play more graphically intensive games at 1080p to get a consistent 144hz in all games. That's what most people do here and to be honest there isn't really a difference between 144hz and anything above 180hz unless you have the eyes and reaction time of an eagle, but the decision is up to you

Each brand makes some good and some bad products. Asus normally makes good products (though not greatly priced) but some of the TUF boards are absolute shit. You need to look at specific products rather than companies.

Doesn't 1080p on a 2k monitor look like ass or is that wrong

RTX 2070 performance increases basically linearly with it's price (especially the ~$500 ones).

I have no idea since I've never played on a 2k monitor, but I wouldn't expect it to as long as you still scaling a 16 by 9 monitor. a 2560 by 1440p is 16 by 9 just like 1920 by 1080, but I don't know

Contact their support regarding the order number.

shit in a bucket, then prop your card up above it and cover the bucket with cling wrap
leave it for a week

Considering buying a Radeon VII because i'm tired of the whole "just wait, something new is coming along" mentality.

I know AMD had a rough start with the RVII but I've read that they released new drivers that have vastly improved performance in games. As well as AMD's plan to release software for the RVII to compete with Nvidia's ray tracing/DLSS.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

kind of like a video card jenkem, i like it.

its a strong card and amd have a good history of support which somewhat eleviates my concerns about it being middle of the road. still, if you have anything at the moment already I would advise the waitâ„¢ until later this year. I'm sitting on my 580 until navi