Sell me on BSD. I have a Thinkpad T520 with i915 and im concerned about drivers

Sell me on BSD. I have a Thinkpad T520 with i915 and im concerned about drivers.

Attached: kdhduwwkn5g01.jpg (2518x1024, 392K)

no one cares faggot

reminder
free bsd > *
prove me wrong
hint: you can't
deal with it

Attached: operating systems iq..png (960x743, 189K)

>this fucking graph
is this the power of FreeBSD trannies

If you have to ask, don't bother.
The experience of using BSD is like learning a new distro, except because you're not dealing with a Linux a lot of the common stuff you expect all Linux distros to have is gone, so it's even more of an odd duck. And when you're finally up and running and comfortable with BSD, you'll soon realize that you were doing the exact same shit as you were in Linux anyway.
This is the point where FreeBSD fans scream about dtrace, ZFS and pf, but it is incredibly unlikely that you'll actually benefit from any of the supposed advantages of these features.

Btrfs is better than zfs unless you absolutely need erasure coding.

Yeah, I figure its probably too deep. I've been through the most minimal distros of linux and wanted to see if I was missing anything in terms of a true unix system. At this point, from what I've read, the majority of differences has to do with the package tree and some minor utility differences, all which lead to a desktop environment running on xorg, generally speaking.

i distro hopped a lot too, but when i tried void i just stopped, it feels like different from other distros and i dont know why honestly, people say it feels a lot like the various BSDs so i now have the urge to try if i found myself even comfier on them, but it kinda scare me, i'm quite used to linux and even if void is kinda different, it wasnt totally obscure to me, are bsds THAT different to setup and use?

I think the same components are there as part of a unix based system. BSD tries to centralize core development where as linux tends to outsource. A BSD release contains the kernel, build utils, and system utils as part of an inseparable concept, where as on linux you can use any number of versions of those things.

Supposedly this results in a more cohesive system.

Also running void-musl with mostly suckless utilities. Pretty legit system and I'm probably going to stick with it. Arch is nice but I hate systemd. Im able to get my void distro, running x and dwm, down to 47mb ram usage. Three lightest I could get arch was 152mb.

its a distribution of the number of high iq individuals who have installed the respective os. a small and smooth brain like you wouldn't get it.

what about temple?

>neither has launchd or any other init implementing daemon-tools
>freebsd has that gay immutable root-tree shit like Silverblue (forced reboots)
>OpenBSD has drive letters for some reason
>no cgroups
>no microkernel
Not very impressive it's almost the 21.2 century.

ZFS's RAID is tried and true.
Btrfs has a long way to go yet

fixed

Attached: iq by operating system.png (4000x3515, 2.34M)

this graph
>user I...

i'm glad you asked.

Attached: .png (1417x2744, 1.09M)

Holy shit, this fucking pic. Peak of Jow Forums OC.

>useless operating systems make you smart

>mint zoomer
lost it

>no plan 9

it's there though

Attached: plan9bunnywhite.jpg (1376x1492, 157K)

dragonfly is the most advanced operating system on earth.
literaly reverse engineered alien technology.

Daily reminder FreeBSD doesn't implement ZFS by themselves, they use the ZFS-on-Linux project, so FreeBSD is a second-tier platform for ZFS nowadays. OpenBSD doesn't support ZFS at all, they still use UFS from the 80s, it doesn't even have journalling.

>this graph
The absolute state

Attached: 71b.jpg (736x736, 100K)

I would have switched to BSDs long time ago...Sadly jetbrains products don't really work on them. Bet some other software I need do not work.

It's great if you don't run VMs, play vidya, or run applications that haven't been ported to OpenBSD.

>be linux virgin
>politely ask your own computer for resources
>be stuck in graphics mode after boot
>be 80x24 linelet
>jewtel shills everywhere

>be freedos chad
>take what you want when you want it
>int10h
>80x25 terminal for max comfort.
>smart consumers running cyrix/ti cpus everywhere

Amazing, the most beautiful thing I've seen in recent time

Is it bad that the positive side half of the graph instantly reminded me of the x-ray radiation spectrum

Attached: x-ray-production-emission-27-638.jpg (638x479, 73K)

>*BSD
>drivers
Ahahanope. BSD has no drivers for anything. BSD is made for servers and ancient goddamn desktops that doesn't run anything more than a simple, ugly desktop.

People will shill all manner of shit on this south-asian funny pages forum. Even BSD.

Does security and code quality matter to you? Are you willing to sacrifice some performance for it? Does your hardware already have working drivers? Are you okay with not having the Linux compatibility layer and an older filesystem? If so OpenBSD is a good choice otherwise stick with Linux.