Thoughts on lua scripting language?

thoughts on lua scripting language?

Attached: 38E6FC20-7BA4-4966-9BEF-66E4FE66C82E.png (1200x1200, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lua.org/pil/16.1.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Small and weird, counts from 1?

Everything is a map.

nonstrict syntax
>no brackets needed for loops, functions, if statements, etc
>no indentation needed
>semi colons are optional and dont affect execution
>easy to understand errors
>casting string to integer/vice versa is easy
>concatenating is easy
>fast

Comfy and based

I've used it for some basic scripting a few years ago in an intro course to robotics. Pretty comfy, it's like python.

This

Tcl is bigger but better

What's its purpose? Don't really mess with scripting so I don't know much (I usually just stick to normal programming). Anyone mind feeling me in?

It's embedded in programs to avoid recompiling for small extensible changes. Used for games a lot.

>Pretty comfy, it's like python.
So it's absolute garbage, got it

used it for some time, though we made the switch to ch script years ago

functional language

google deepmind wrote atari games playing AI on it
I started learning it because of this single event.
Love the language so far.

I don't know how you do regular programming without scripting. Do you do everything manually?

good for text processing and prototyping

python killed it outside gaming

Without the tabs autism of python and the brace bloat of c
As someone who went with bash as the first "programming language", I personally prefer it

It's mostly dead in gaming.

I prefer TCL

it’s the C of scripting languages. Elegant syntax, small and simple, and a map based paradigm that is both computationally efficient and linguistically comprehensible to humans.

I use it for a little 2D game I'm making with love2d.
It's a cool language

I guess it really depends on what it's used with and how well it's embedded. For example the way FiveM scripting works with lua is pretty comfy but the documentations is awful.

This is now a lua general. I was thinking about making an imageboard in lua but it’d run as a single continuous script that takes asynchronous input and instead of a written database all the boards and threads and even images up to a point until they’re called to keep the memory usage to a few gigabytes. Is this a horrible idea and also does anyone know the limits of lua tables in cases like this?

it is in minecraft(modded) and it's good

First language I ever learned cause WoW addons are written in lua.

I remember botting an mmo game using this...

I use it for programming in Minecraft... Outside of that i supposed is more of a laid back programming language

no no user, it's like python that had a chemo treatment that removed all of the fucking cancer.

Extremely based, thought that everything being a table was retarded at first but once you get used to it you start loving how simple it is, and wonder why other languages are so bloated.
Also it triggers Cniles and söyboys because they don't understand the difference between an abstraction and an implementation detail and think that arrays should start at 0 because it works like that on the hardware.

Why netscape use Javascript instead Lua?
The future could be brighter

Cute language made by huebros.
Used it to make Garry's Mod addons and little games with Love2D.

It's quite easy to learn, quite fast, can be easily used in conjunction with C++.

[spoiler] Also it's used for Pico-8 coding which makes it a 10/10 [/spoiler]

Its a great idea and the only limit is your imagination.

Well Garry's mod is made with Lua so it's automatically elder God tier

Great for making WoW UI add-ons.

Please don't insult Lua like that

I use it to make factorio mods
If you had any previous experience with programming, you'll hate it every single moment.
>arrays indexed from 1
>actually no arrays, everything is a hash
>0 is true
>if you want to make a class, you gotta hack the interpreter or use some premade framework for classes
>debugging is a hell, just like in makefiles
>end, end, end, end, end, end
>if you don't explicitly say that some variable has local scope, it will be global
dumb language with small size

I use it for Splash scripting. Haven't noticed anything special about the language itself, besides the small size and ease of integration into existing projects.

>everything that doesn’t program the C/++/Java object hell way is a dumb language

Sheer minimalistic beauty

>if you want to make a class, you gotta hack the interpreter
nigger
lua.org/pil/16.1.html

I used it for Roblox once.

still better than python and ruby

>arrays indexed at 1
Why shouldn't an abstracted array start at 1?
>0 is true
Why should a number be false?

>arrays indexed from 1
Nothig wrong with that. 0-based arrays make sense in c and c++, as [] there is actually an offset dereference operator which works the same way as *(pointer + offset)
>actually no arrays, everything is a hash
I'm like 95% sure that's not true, but even it it were - that's alright for a scripting language.
>0 is true
What the fuck. Didn't know that.
>if you want to make a class, you gotta hack the interpreter or use some premade framework for classes
Yeah, no. It works just fine. You can even hack operator overloading and inheritance into lua.
>debugging is a hell, just like in makefiles
4U
>end, end, end, end, end, end
It'd take it over python syntax any day. It's just as good as curly braces.
>if you don't explicitly say that some variable has local scope, it will be global
Agreed, I don't like this either.
>dumb language with small size
Dumb poster with small IQ.
Lua a cutie. Period.

meant for

i like the setfenv and getfenv in 5.1 lua and whatever else its in, its fun to set up lua sandboxes. metamethods are fun too. I think lua might have a os.env in the newer version, but im not sure :/

Attached: 808113A3-5408-489C-A601-0330F001B91F.jpg (516x1020, 125K)

What exactly is openresty good for?

Weirdly overrated and abused. Just like your shitty animuh characters.

Why does Jow Forums seem to fall in love with a new shitlang every few months?

lua is pretty old, unlike some of the other shit languages

>t. petroleum engineers

t. object engineer

is true
>What the fuck. Didn't know that.
reason for this is because lua treat all empty spaces in memory as the value nil which defaults to false if you compare the presence of a value to the lack thereof. So like you can refer to a variable or function or whatever that doesn’t exist and lua will just sub that value for nil. So like if you have a function supposed to return something and it crashes you have it return nil as the universal empty value and all else would be true because the function suceeded.

>Lua, perl, c/++, Java
They all will die because of Google pushing some meme languages like python, go and kotlin.
Why to live?
They all

Correct

Attached: 6.jpg (1000x800, 57K)

There is already an imageboard in lua
lapchan.moe

lapischan uses sequellite not tables and keeping the database in memory