College is a shit meme

I learned more about computers in 2 hours watching youtube videos than in 2 semesters of garbage instruction. Don't go if you actually want to learn things, Jow Forums. If you just care about the expensive paper you get at the end, then go for it. I was self taught before I came here, and I honestly learned more, faster, and with better depth that way.

Attached: a.jpg (1920x1080, 225K)

Eh, you made connections that tied into your education. Try harder, my edgy teenage friend.

You made a thread to state the obvious? College is only good for some fields and people who want to bet on attempting skipping the 2-3 years tier 1 or 2 shit.

Agreed. For anyone who hasn't fell for the meme yet (I'm half way through so no turning back for me sadly) I'd recommend just working on impressive and noteworthy solo projects as well as some open source shit on github. The only companies that hire people with degrees only isn't a company you want to work at, that's why most job post typically say Equivalent Experience. The best part about programming is that you don't need to go to school or have a job to get experience so start super early.

It really is. Go for 4 years. Forced to take shit classes that for most people they won't use in the real world. Wind up out on your ass in debt all the while paying other shit looking for work. Oh and don't forget the fact that now since "everyone and there mother" has a degree in "something" HR Types don't really give a flying fuck anymore that you busted your ass to get that paper. The value of it has really declined.

Not other than a couple of 1st years writing crappy code full of memory corruption bugs.

I fell for the meme

>graduate HS
>go to CC take some IT classes part time
>really easy bored and do most the labs always early
>slap I am in college on resume as filler
>work Tier 1 IT job, like 12/hr (good for the area and 10 years ago)
>work it for like 2 years get some certs in the mean time
>swap jobs to a tier 2 tech at an MSP, quickly promoted to tier 3/Sys Admin
>making roughly 47k/yr now at 20-21
>stop going to CC by this point
>work it 2 more years get my hands on a lot of shit
>change jobs again to Sytems Admin for large company resume is impressive
>friends just getting out of college no exp and taking shit tier work
>no debt to speak of atm
>working good position and have a damn good resume don't even put an education section on my resume anymore just my Exp/certs
>still get good offers regularly

Only way to do it really

The really sick joke is that there are people with all that fancy education working in places you'd expect teenagers to work all the while making 15 or more an hr with real low stress or other bullshit while some office dude who's been at the company for 13 years makes only 12 an hr and has to put up with bullshit and other shit constantly.

No debt especially is a really good outcome

No shit, we're fucking peasants, so we go anyways. It's better than the alternative.

Good luck getting past the gatekeepers without your expensive paper.

The worst is call center work dealing with people in their upper 40's joking about how great they are but work is tough! and the general work is rebooting a PC

Continued, because I can never finish a thought. I would say a little more than half of my courses don't apply to the industry I'm entering.

Why the fuck do I need to study Philosophy, Physics and a splash of chemistry to be a software engineer? Philosophy is interesting to study, but I would rather save myself $5,000 and read about philosophy on my own time. Physics?? The first term that covered Newtonian physics; yeah the vector math I had to learn can have applications in software engineering. The other two terms of Physics I was required to take about electromagnetism and light; fuck no! Chemistry, what???

I also had to take Calc 1, 2 and 3. Which is alright if I want to get into Data science, but after taking machine learning, I find the work boring.

Oh, and I had to take two terms of Spanish.

which youtube videos?

College is not about learning to do basic youtube tutorials it's about learning to work with other people in big proyects with impossible death lines

>he doesn't have at least a B.Sci.
you are literally a commoner

>you are literally a commoner

You don't need a CS degree for a lot unless you want to go into a set programming job. IT is well paying, MSP/VAR's will keep it around for an incredibly long time. Just usually need to keep up a resume and maybe some certs.

>inb4 lol computer janitor
pays bills, enough to travel, and does all I need.

Attached: big bird on shit.webm (450x450, 283K)

>finish a bachelor's in 3 years since I'm not a brainlet
>squeeze in an internship and some research
>starting at $74k a year

People going to college shouldn't just breeze through it. Most companies require you to be enrolled as a student to be an intern and it's not possible to do meaningful research outside of university. In my job interviews they spent 85% of the time talking about my extracurriculars since thats what separates you from the average shmuck in college

Attached: 1535714017515.png (1050x1082, 57K)

learn online while you're taking the class, then you can get ahead in the class, get credit for a degree, and have more interesting discussions with your peers and instructors

>Bachelor's in 3 years
Lmao, did you have one of those 4 classes/semester degrees?

Yeah, except I can write rootkits.

He probably did summer classes for the gen-ed's which basically means you get a pass for doing nothing. I remember squeezing out gen-eds on summer and basically getting a B regardless what bullshit I turned in, classes were always short as well.

What? Large projects are rare.

Ben Eater makes some serious quality videos (the textbook he uses for pic related series I actually used at uni).

I didn't learn shit about what people do in the "real world" but I didn't really have to because that's not the point, they'll train me on that shit when I get the job anyway if I don't already figure it out by myself. Struggling with a bunch of shitty classes trying to find the interesting bits changed my attitude towards computing in general and taught me how to actually learn shit so I'm not just that mediocre teenager who built a gaming PC and thinks he knows all about computers anymore.

Of course if you're just an NPC with no passion who just wanted to learn to make video games or whatever you're going to get nothing out of it just like I didn't in my first few years.

t. NEET dropout

maybe if you go to a shit school

If nothing else, college is good for the connections. I don't really feel like college has taught me anything; everything I've done as far as tech is concerned has been self-taught, but being involved in college communities helped me find people that were willing to pay me.

I went to a top 10 school and only ever had one class where "projects" took longer than a day to do.

Nah you don't need a degree but most bootcamp/youtube educated retards are basically destined to become dinosaurs because they only know how to manipulate the latest trendy tech toy, not how it actually works or how to take that knowledge to something new that will inevitably replace it.

But you could maybe argue that college courses don't fix that, just the people who actually know what the fuck they're doing generally go for it anyway while the mediocre half-asses skip college and make excuses for it like OP.

There are some things you can't learn from the internet, at least very easily, especially advanced topics in STEM. And like what many before me have said, good luck getting your first job without a degree.

Plenty of "top" schools have shit CS departments.

The ranking is for the CS department, not the overall school.

>Nah you don't need a degree but most bootcamp/youtube educated retards are basically destined to become dinosaurs because they only know how to manipulate the latest trendy tech toy

Yeah that's why I am not one and actively work on certificates every now and then on self study/lab work. Keeps me current and keeps me up to date. Not to mention just reading some tech shit during lunch at work or something when board

>HR Types don't really give a flying fuck anymore that you busted your ass to get that paper. The value of it has really declined.

HR will give even less of a fuck for those who dont have a degree. In fact a lot of hiring/recruiting these days are automated. If you don't list an accredited college/university or lack a college GPA, your application will be automatically sent to the trash.

Sounds great. I don't think you're the kind of person I'm talking about.

>If you don't list an accredited college/university or lack a college GPA, your application will be automatically sent to the trash.

Depends, lots have overrides for X years in the field = degree or more. Most job postings these days have something like that, not to mention making connections via linkedin or what not often negates that. I've been told just to email x after applying so they can bring me on for an interview and get me hired, just met at a conference before and talked about stuff got in easily

I have my linkedin set to as private as it gets, and I still get hit up by recruiters regularly with interview offers, even though I don't have a degree.

Got my past 2 jobs that way with a 50-100% salary increase each time. If you have the experience, your shitty paper doesn't matter.

You can't complain about not learning in class if you don't attend class.

nice LARP

I gave up putting any college on my resume after having 2 good references on my job with +7 years exp between them. There really is no point for me to have it on there and no reason for anyone to bring it up as I've kept my resume up to date and often keep connections going. College is fine for your first job or so, but after that it's probably fairly useless unless working for a state/government job for a payscale.

Not hard to believe user probably started somewhere low and changed positions getting him up higher. It's unlikely he started at like 75k and is now making a full +100% or more now over that unless in San Fran or some shit like startups/oversea work

So after all those years and job changes he's still making less than someone who just graduated from college.

No, a uni student. There's the Capstone project, but that's it. Some courses will have one project, but most projects and assignments I do solo, and I prepare for the exams on my own as well.

>So after all those years and job changes he's still making less than someone who just graduated from college.

Is this a joke? There is no guarantee on starting after college you are making X much, not to mention he has a resume and probably no debt compared. I know plenty of college grads who make 60% of my salary though we are the same age because they are desperate and employers know that.

I did advanced classes in high school which transfered in as Gen Eds, then I took part time summer classes (early morning or nighttime) which allowed me to graduate a year earlier