/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

Last thread: Posting an updated infograph, changelog:

>removed win7
there is less than a year of support left

>made activator its own column
so it can indicate if its open source, and leave space for more explanation

>changed Do Not Spy 10 to W10Privacy
same single-use purpose, but more features, and is freeware

>changed Speccy to HWiNFO
suggested before. more features, opensource. people who just want to post in Speccy threads will get it anyways

>added simplewall
cool software. tinywall has been recommended before, however my experiences shown that it's buggy and also not free as in freedom.

>added fman
lots of anons suggested it

>added qwant
suggested by multiple anons

discarded suggestions:

>Add PDFXChange to the PDF section. Fairly good reader and comes a bunch of tools
paid bloated software with little-used features (most dont edit pdfs)

>replace Bleachbit with Privazer
too many fake or useless features, GUI also looks like shit

>add Riot.im
although i use and like it, it's not nearly popular enough

>REMOVE VLC
no. many people want something that just werks for the normal formats.

>add musicbee
i couldn't download it to test, their site gave http 500 constantly
we also kinda have too many music players anyways

>i forgot my trip for posting the graph
i'm probably retarded idk, not really into tripfag thing anyways

Attached: gsoftware.png (1920x7270, 1.48M)

Other urls found in this thread:

chocolatey.org/
github.com/DrEmpiricism/Optimize-Offline
chuyu.me/en/index.html
wpd.app/
github.com/kkkgo/KMS_VL_ALL
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>vlc
nice meme

>Maintenance
everything in this section is worthless, registry cleaners have been a meme since windows XP

>VLC
and in the current year even

>@riseup.net
yikes

Sanjeet, what did I tell you about posting on this chinese cartoon website?

Attached: w.jpg (1620x1080, 423K)

Looks pretty good. Maybe you can add the Chocolatey package manager as well
chocolatey.org/

>>Maintenance
>everything in this section is worthless, registry cleaners have been a meme since windows XP
most of these were recommended by anons, i only used CCleaner

>>VLC
>and in the current year even
it doesn't work well, but it works anywhere.

>>@riseup.net
>yikes
i might not be into the communist thing, but the service and encryption is very nice. I'd rather trust them than protonmail.

this and ninite has been recommended before, I plan to look into them, and maybe add a Package Manager section.

winbabby thread

>ccleaner
>riseup.net

lol fuck off retard

>I'd rather trust them than protonmail.
What is wrong with protonmail?

what about FastStone Image Viewer?

nothing too wrong, theres just always the chance that they're just going for the money of people. the riseup guys almost certainly actually believe everything they say, why else would they literally get raided by police for protecting a neonazi's identity.

havent been suggested before, noted.
all the suggestions here will be noted and reviewed next update, thats pretty much how the current one was made.

>removed win7
I hope your thread gets deleted, faggot.

Attached: 1495917456187.png (680x507, 317K)

Will have to give simplewall a try. Been using tinywall and everytime I start up I get two instances.

Bleachbit recently got a major update so it now supports the latest FF and Chrome/Chromium

>winblows 10
fuck off

Attached: System.png (1631x931, 181K)

>literally get raided by police for protecting a neonazi's identity
Sauce/article?

Chocolatey/some sort of actual package manager is a no-brainer.

Don't bother with Ninite, Chocolatey is much better.

Recommending DupeGuru, Deezloader Remix, Icaros and WinDirStat.

Fuck you massive nigger, its one thing to make a windows thread and whole another thing to shill for support scare culture
Windows 7 lives forever

>software on that image
>removed win7
You're a imposter linux faggot or you're dumb as fuck and listening to linux faggots about freetardware being relevant. Fucking cult faggots.

>sorosfox is Jow Forums approved
I wonder who could be behind this post.

Give me a reason why I shouldn't use widows 7 after its support ends? I've been using it for years and havent run into security problems without its updates

Add in winaero tweaker, excellent program for windows. The guy maintaining it is active. Its got so many uses for editing shittons of windows stuff.

Windows is malware, therefore this thread must be trolling and trolling belongs to /b/.

>CCleaner?
What.

The problem is with all the devs who will not bother to support Windows 7.
I won't be surprised if in the next years when you need to upgrade your PC you don't have compatible drivers.

Hi, Jow Forumsuise!

How do I properly install Win7 on Intel 8600 processor with Asus Z370 motherboard, so I don't
have yellow question marks in Device Manager?

github.com/DrEmpiricism/Optimize-Offline

Use this PowerShell script to optimize install.wim file from Enterprise LTSC 2019 x64 .iso image before clean installing, the script can remove Windows Defender and other bloat in a clean way.
Just remember to edit it first and customize registry section yourself if you want to include your own registry tweaks or don't like some of the author's own ones.

using software after it's support ends is a gamble
some vulnerability like DoublePulsar (maybe more known as WannaCry) will inevitably come sooner or later.
>just disable
that's why its a gamble, you cannot know what will get fucked and when

Honeyview is still the best image viewer for windows

>using software after it's support ends is a gamble
This. New runtimes won't be backported to Win7 so most of third party software will simply not be compatible anymore, just like on XP and Vista today.

And the reason OPs image and post is basically a freetard whishlist full of neetware is?

>no MusicBee

dissapointed

What should I use instead of vlc?

K-Lite

just MPC-HC
there is 0 reason to use bloat codec packs like aids-k-lite

Change w10 to w10 LTSC and we good

>there is 0 reason to use bloat codec packs like aids-k-lite
k-lite is not a bloat, it installs codecs for rendering also, not only for playback, so i can use them in sony vegas pro, and also some obscure fps games like psychotoxic use some of k-lite's codecs to play cutscenes, don't be a n00b and install codec pack for compatibility reasons with legacy stuff and productivity software

I install what I need and I dont need extra aids on my computer

>Maintenance
Dism++
chuyu.me/en/index.html

>Misc Utilities
Windows Privacy Dashboard is superior to W10Privacy, plus it's a FOSS project
wpd.app/

github.com/kkkgo/KMS_VL_ALL
Is this the rigth github for kms?

Yes, if you scroll down you'll see that he links to mydigitallife forum post

Okey thx now i feel very safe.

My PC's motherboard died a year ago and I just replaced it. Did a clean install of Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 but it is unbearably unresponsive and slow. This problem didn't exist before. Very frustrating and I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Remove qwant, its use is advised by the (((french government)))

check event viewer if something is shitting errors
click update driver on every device in device manager

Vanilla firefox is as approved as Chrome (isnt, botnet).
The difference is that to remove botnet from chrome, you need ungoogled-chromium.
The same for firefox is still firefox, just with a custom user.js

Is there actually any way to install and activate (or not activate) Windows 7 and have a fully usable installation without activation, like you can do with Windows 10?
Meaning:
>No use of third party tools
>No fucking around with System32

The only solution I've found online is deleting slui.exe and running a couple of commands, which 1. didn't work for me, maybe because I already inputted a bunch of product keys first and 2. I don't think it's too cool to delete random system files.

Win10 drivers are backwards compatible (the framework, that is) so unless the drivers use some specific win10 feature its ok

it is already ltsc, don't you see?

You have multiple options:
- certain mobos can get flashed with SLIC keys. You need to run a third party tool once, you can reinstall the system later
- run a KMS server emulator on some other device. There are various android and linux ports of vmlcsd, look around on MDL. This requires installing third party software on some other device.

How do I install SP5 for Windows 2000?

should ownCloud be exchanged with nextCloud?

>cleaner
are you retarded?

Don't bother with Chocolatey, Scoop with extra-bucket is much better

Wiztree is so much faster than WinDirStat

Better yet, where's infranviewer?

macOS mojave doesn't have these problems

is this supposed to be a guide for good/useful windows software, or good foss?

If it's the former, I can think of a bunch of suggestions.

>Picture viewer
add image glass

>Picture editor
photoshop

>Music player
winamp

>Search engine
remove DDG, the founder made names database etc.

>Communication
Add irc clients (hexchat)

Pretty good for the most part though

For music player add qmmp and remove audacious, gtk can't find network shares on windows. qmmp uses regular windows filepicker and supports winamp themes. Add Rivatuner Statistics Server and MSI Afterburner, best options for CPU, GPU, RAM ect usage when playing games.
Bring back Win 7 since there's still the chance you could get the updates until 2023 if it's like POSReady 2009 where you edit the registry. Windows 8.1 is acceptable once you disable hot corners, side charms, metro and install legacy components like direct draw, .net 3.5 and open-shell which is Classic-Shell but open source. Win 7 can also be used offline not connected to any network on pre-2020 hardware.

Attached: gamer_ver8.jpg (536x755, 150K)

unfortunately the embedded editions of win7 have eol same as normal win7.
however i'm considering adding 8.1 embedded industry, which is kinda like ltsb but of 8.1. too bad it doesn't seem to be known / popular here

>doesn't seem to be known / popular here
Because 7 and 10 are both better than any version of 8

I checked win7 embedded's eol, it is actually indeed later, but only 2021 october instead of 2020 january. Will look into adding it back though. also wondering how usable the actual OS is

If it's the same as win8 embedded it's actually the same as regular versions without some components but bundled with embedded functionality

Hello anons, here's a story for you:
I dual boot Linux and Windows on the same laptop. I rarely boot to Windows but a friend Invited me to play Palladins.
So I boot windows, and I see there are updates pending, so i restart and notice the build number changed. I see there are still some updates pending but despite 2 more restarts, the build number wont move. OK
I then open steam and download the game and move on because it gave me a 2 hours ETA.
I come back 1h30 later and I see the computer is turned off. I power it on and choose Windows on the Grub : it says "installing updates 15..50.. 80..100%" you know, then it shuts down. I press power again , and again and the same happens.
I'm a bit puzzled, and though screw it I go to Linux... I press power for the fourth time and... nothing happens.
Like, nothing fucking happens. No sound, no picture, no light, nothing.
I removed the battery, the power plug but it does nothing.
Did the update brick my pc ?? What can be done ?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 47K)

indeed looks fairly normal so far
in the case of XP - posready 2009 there were some incompatible updates, so i'm looking into if this can be installed in place of win7

Attached: vmsnapshot.png (1440x900, 419K)

windows can auto-update firmware, and shutting down / crashing in the meantime might cause bricked firmware.
try entering bios/uefi after a power reset.
if it doesn't work, remove the CMOS battery, wait a few minutes, put it back.
this will reset all firmware updates, so your computer should boot again.
If it still doesn't, chances are its faulty hardware.

Feels good to see fman on the list.

I'd add Switcheroo or WindowFinder

Loonix fucked up your laptop. Never fall for the dual boot meme. Microsoft designs their OS automatically assuming it'll be the only OS on the system, OEMs design their hardware assuming Windows will be the only OS on the system. Installing some hacky solution only 0.001% of even linux users use is just asking for problems.

I was trying to use ungoogled-chrome for a while but I couldn't get spotify to run on it and there wasn't much I could find online for it either.

Firefox is just a pile of shit for some of the websites I need to use and I've been having constant memory leaks. Even shit like YouTube can randomly fuck up my CPU for a sec.

I don't thing its that simple. From Windows perspective, it's the only OS on the system, and if Linux or grub are in its way during an update, Windows can just write over them

I didn't really know where to post this. How do I fix this?

Attached: help.png (986x516, 55K)

Looks like typical bad wireless connection for me. What's the problem?

boot up a live linux and check if it happens there
if yes then its the (wifi adapter|ethernet adapter|router|access point|cable|building)'s fault
if no, then try upgrading the adapter's driver in device manager. if problem still persists, try getting the driver from the OEM's page. if it still persists, and your computer is prebuilt, try getting it from the build's support page.

Usually that's what happens and I would used to just reinstall grub, but nobody really knows exactly how system updates are done other than MS. I've had instances where a new update came out and my dual-boot laptop just bricked while my Windows-only laptops updated just fine. Now I just keep only one OS on each laptop and use VMs if there's ever a need to.

op here again, i fully updated my posready 7, seems to be running just fine.
i think i'll try some games to see DirectX and DirectInput support (since server versions break on that). If it passes I'll probably add it next update

Attached: posready7-2019-03-27-23-30-31.png (1440x900, 202K)

as a gamerfag, I will eventually be forced to downgrade from W7 to W10 for newshiny things like VR and DX12/13/etc

what is the best way of (legally) obtaining a copy of W10 LTSC so I can disable all of the telemetry and forced-updates bullshit that home/pro users are forced into?

no I don't want to have to watch updates like a hawk and manually disable stuff every time, no I don't want to use a 3rd party installer, etc

I just want bog standard plain W10 LTSC

LTSC is an Enterprise edition
It can also only be activated using KMS
A KMS activation is only accepted if
- The server is not running locally
- The server has atleast 49 other clients
So you would need to buy and run at least 50 copies of it, that is, if microsoft would even sell it to you.

seems like games work just fine on POSReady too, unlike on the server editions.

Attached: posready7-2019-03-27-23-53-04.png (1440x900, 1.26M)

Didn't know about nomacs. I'm gonna install it instead of IrfanView.

Fucking Christ I needed this

>No Open Shell

With Microsoft in love with open source, do you believe at some point that they might open source the NT kernel in Windows?

Why don't you add the slc shim thing that you use with GatherOsState?

Im still using office 2010 which is permanently kms activated with no problem at all.

is office 2019 good upgrade that doesnt shit itself and need manual activation everyday?

because on enterprise only KMS works, so HWIDgen doesn't.
theres also KMS38, which is a dirty hack that spams your event log with errors, thus is not recommended in any case.

the recommended activator works just fine with office 2019. although it is not really an useful update over 2016
Install it like:
1. install office
2. convert retail to VL
3. should be activated next time, you can run the activator .cmd too though.

i can recommend OfficeRTool for downloading from ms, selecting components (since ms only ships C2R from office 2019, no MSI anymore) and converting license to VL.

>but of 8.1. too bad it doesn't seem to be known / popular here
Popular maybe not, but several anons use it. Not one of us is the "you must use what I use or you're wrong" style of idiot that everyone else seems to be.

Does anyone have a normal list of recommended software for windows? Apps real people actually use is what I mean, sure there's a handful in the op image but come on this is ridiculous.

>remove DDG, the founder made names database etc.
Wait what? Source

Replace DDG with startpage.

I must say, the new Chromium based Edge browser is way better than old Edge.

Honestly, I even forgot that Windows 8 / 8.1 even existed.

Never

Do you guys have a favorite memory tester?

Prime95 mixed fft, custom memory size to 80% of RAM in your PC. memtestx86 usb also just works.

Me too. Will consider it when win 7 support ends.

Sure. Internet service providers are also malware. People on the streets are botnets. Government have all of your medical records, and banks know all of your credit history. Ponder on that while you sit in your basement.

Nonsense

KMS38 (38 years) works fine on this end without the event log errors you mentioned, call it as a dirty hack it's simply ridiculous.

Attached: 142315k1s1kizz1yysryn4.png (674x430, 39K)

EASY MODO?!
KIMOOI

Finally some useful thread. Thanks OP