/talosii/POWER9

The only sane shit out on the market ATM
>SOI process
>full firmware control
>PCIe 4
> all lanes direct to CPU, no north/southbridge
what are you waiting for Jow Forums, still addicted to that old chromebook?

>inb4 thinkpaders who don't realize their embedded controller still runs proprietary code

Attached: freebsd.jpg (750x537, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Operating_System_Compatibility_List
youtube.com/watch?v=o-asW3b2CJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=lt8cu8IMLOM
youtube.com/watch?v=sZfZ8uWaOFI
talospace.com/2018/11/roadgeeking-with-talos-ii-or.html
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Project_Ortega
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Porting/Firefox
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Porting/Chromium
talospace.com/2018/09/chromium-on-power9-ready-to-land.html
libreboot.org/suppliers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

and yes, it does run Gentoo (dugh)

Attached: benchmark can't saturate 160 threads.png (1920x1080, 462K)

By the way, where is spyroanon?

Attached: spyroanon.png (2175x743, 837K)

Attached: talosEnlightenment.jpg (2048x1536, 535K)

We've got a big fat POWER9 cluster at work and they say that if I come up with a good reason to use it then they'll give me an instance
what do

>no windows
>costs an arm and a leg

I already have an SGI Octane with IRIX that offers security and privacy through obscurity, plus some old Alpha, PA-RISC, SPARC, PowerPC, ColdFire and ARM shit that's collecting dust. I don't know if I could really justify another exotic RISC machine. What would I even use it for that my other machines can't do already. Does the thing even have integrated graphics? I don't want to shell out for a GPU that's just gonna need proprietary blobs anyways. Kinda defeats the purpose of the workstation.

Attached: 3420160085_3d1c6be277_b.jpg (1024x680, 219K)

nice

how about just some benchmarks, checking how your applications perform with gcc/jvm/whatever on POWER vs x86

> tfw when you have a Talos II waiting just a few km's away in customs

Sweet, I've seen the teardown GN did of an O2:
youtube.com/watch?v=o-asW3b2CJ0

the BMC gives a 2D GPU, but no 3D acceleration, since you'd probably want a proper GPU for that anyways
>GPU that's just gonna need proprietary blobs anyways
you can go radeon to avoid driver blobs, but there is not really anything worthwhile out there that doesn't use proprietary gpu-firmware

Huh, looks like the normies got wind of it:
youtube.com/watch?v=lt8cu8IMLOM

Be sure to jazz up your bmc/petitboot (pic related)

Attached: openbmc.jpg (2048x1536, 575K)

>what are you waiting for Jow Forums?
a risc-v drop-in board for my x230

youtube.com/watch?v=sZfZ8uWaOFI

but can it run 9front

Attached: fuck.jpg (960x956, 51K)

Does [plan]9[front] have a Power or PowerPC port?

A lot of linux userland justworksTM on Power
even though I assume devs have mainly been porting to older PPC hardware.

I imagine kernel space might need a lot more tweaking, but if there's a PPC port, POWER9 is probably possible.

thread needs more pics

Attached: blackbirdOpenPOWERSummitAmsterdam.jpg (1536x2048, 430K)

Attached: UT4_POWER9_DM_Underland.png (1920x1082, 3.27M)

Attached: unreal engine on P9.jpg (2048x1152, 309K)

Long live big endian!

Attached: talosbigendianmode.png (1920x1080, 1.94M)

what distro compiles for big endian? I thought they'd all moved to little endian now (for POWER at least)

So what's the appeal of these systems? Are they more secure than x86 architecture based stuff simply through obscurity? Or is it because they're actually secure? Why would I spend $1500 for an 8 core CPU and motherboard (with only 2 RAM slots nonetheless). Can these systems be used for daily use? What about OS selection? Windows of course is a no, but can I run a mainstream distro of Linux? Or am I stuck using some super obscure, no longer supported OS? I'm not above spending decent money, but can standard programs be used? Handbrake? Virtualization software?

>no wangblows
That's a feature user

Fedora dropped official BE branch in 29
Adélie, Gentoo, Debian, Void still support BE
BSD support is BE

Having the source to your chip initialization firmware, on-chip-thermal controller, mainboard FPGA, etc.
Right now the only thing left is NIC firmware, but even that's been reverse-engineered, with clean room implementation in the works:
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Project_Ortega
Having Bi-endian support is pretty sweet, but the main draw is the fully open source firmware, no place for a botnet to hide.

As for app support, a lot of normal stuff just works:
> My F28 Talos runs VLC, LibreOffice, Krita, GIMP, QEMU and many other essential apps (like ioquake3) out of the box with the distribution-provided packages.

Browsers are working, though Firefox JIT is still being ported. Chromium JIT is working, but Google is refusing to upstream.
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Porting/Firefox
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Porting/Chromium

Attached: chananonminetest.png (3091x1236, 1.18M)

The Chromium port has been ready since September of last year:
talospace.com/2018/09/chromium-on-power9-ready-to-land.html

Attached: chromium p9.jpg (3116x1452, 522K)

huh. Seeing as It supports Power9 with Ubuntu, I'm assuming graphics drivers will work at least semi-decently? I'm not looking to game, but I do want to push my 4K monitor. This would be a PC for non gaming applications only truly used for encoding and VM's seeing as their architecture supports 4 threads per core apparently.

It runs unreal tournament 4 Basically, AMD cards are fine because the driver is open source - it's mostly the same driver code as on x86

but if you want Nvidia, you're stuck with the Nouveau stack for GUI, because Nvidia only gives machine-learning drivers for Power systems

Attached: T2P9D01-no-SAS.png (1182x862, 1017K)

You're making this sound more and more tempting user. I'm currently considering their smaller Blackbird motherboard (single socket, 2 RAM slots), 8 core chip (which has 32 thread right?). And it seems that I can get 32GB sticks of DDR4 2666MHz ECC registered memory for as little as $220 each. All in all I can get all of this for around $2k shipped. I already own a shit load of spare parts like PSU's, hard drives, cases. Shit if I'm considering dropping this kind of cash I might as well get a workststion AMD card. See if I can get a little WX4100 working.

The skeptic in me though is wondering why these systems aren't talked about more? Price aside, I figured people would be chomping at the bit for such a product.

>The skeptic in me though is wondering why these systems aren't talked about more?
Everyone assumes that only x86 exists?

It's definitely talked about more than before now; Phoronix has one and includes it in benchmarks sometimes,
the aforementioned Linus Tech Tips video talks about it pretty prominently

I mean it is literally a "Linux Desktop" product, maybe that's the problem, it's just not *that year* yet.

Maybe partly because its a desktop system when laptops are all the rage now?

IDK, I mean it's even recommended on the Libreboot site, I would have assumed most interested people would have heard of it by now.
libreboot.org/suppliers.html
>NOTE: this isn’t technically Libreboot, but the boot firmware is entirely free.
>This is the same company that ported the ASUS KFSN4-DRE, KGPE-D16 and KCMA-D8 mainboards to Libreboot. Raptor has also helped improve other ports in Libreboot, for instance they added support for switchable graphics on the ThinkPad T400 which Libreboot supports.

I actually don't really work with the products side of the company so there's nothing for me to test

>if I come up with a good reason to use it then they'll give me an instance
>there's nothing for me to test
If you want an actual suggestion, I think you'll have to explain what you _do_ in fact do

research. so anything I want, but I don't work much with systems, and to be honest a processor architecture is so low in the abstraction layers that there wouldn't be much difference in doing something on POWER9 as opposed to x86.
I mean, I guess we have NVLink directly from the CPU to GPU, that's something but not a game-changing something.

>why these systems aren't talked about more? Price aside, I figured people would be chomping at the bit for such a product.
Once you get over the initial "oh, cool" factor regarding the ISA buried under a couple hundred layers of abstraction it's a pretty boring machine. It's no less off-the-shelf than any competing x86 system and runs the same exact software in the same exact way on the same exact operating systems, as someone in a similar situation to I see absolutely no point in paying out the ass for such a system either, I'd rather buy a Sun Ultra 45 and a SPARC T3 server for heavy lifting with that kind of money if I wanted something different and secure, especially considering POWER is vulnerable to Spectre anyway.

Attached: T3E900_sm.jpg (4500x1937, 3.83M)

Recent SPARC stuff is just as vulnerable to Specre attacks as an other system.
Is T3 old enough to be prior to speculative/out-of-order execution?

I missed it by a generation, the T2 is invulnerable but the T3 was impacted.

Still old stuff though.

Would recent Itanium be safe? The point of the VLIW design was to cut down on speculative exec and similar stuff I thought.
That might be a better alternative in theory, although its a dead end since 2017 and the 9700.

>Still old stuff though.
A maxed out T5440 sports 32 cores, 256 threads, 512 GiB of memory and four SAS SSDs. That's more than enough for... playing Minecraft and shitposting, which is pretty much all 95% of POWER/Talos evangelists on Jow Forums would ever use them for judging by the caliber of these threads.
>Would recent Itanium be safe?
I believe so, yes, but I don't really think any recent Integrity systems are all that great compared to other options.

I’m literally waiting for my tax return and then I’m buying one. Should have the order in by the end of next week.

Fuck Intel and fuck niggers.

>Expected to ship late Q1 2019
Still waiting for my Blackbird.