Be in CS

>be in CS
>have freetard prof
>screams at students for not typing fast enough and gets mad if you run windows
>screeches at students for sending in a .rar instead of a .tar.xz
>"no true professional would actually ever use windows. all professionals use linux"
>people who actually work in the industry and come to uni to teach all run windows
Why do Linux users have Windows Derangement Syndrome? And why are they such weirdos?

Attached: Linux_wallpaper_08.jpg (1024x768, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish#Examples
searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/Active-Directory-and-IntelliMirror
azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/linux-on-azure/
linuxjournal.com/magazine/turn-your-computer-phone-skype
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>things that never happened

Based.
You should listen to him.

Check his browser hidtory, he must be the one who create desktop thread with anime girl and satania posting all day

I had many profs that used Windows but used Putty to ssh to their linux VM on the uni server.

>Why do Linux users have Windows Derangement Syndrome?
They don't. It's just that those linux users are the only ones you ever hear about.

>paid ms troll gets mad that there are people in universities trying to get away from the paid Microsoft bullshit
You do know Microsoft pays universities tons of money to force Microsoft shit on students, right?

No, I'm mad that he's a freetard who would force people to use Linux if he could.
I write my class notes in LibreOffice and he said "you know, if you were a real professional, you would write it all in Latex."
He always gets upset with people because they have Windows laptops. Sometimes a student will ask for help, and if they're running Windows he'll outright refuse to help.
I remember him going on a rant at someone at how they weren't real pros because they didn't have FileZilla.

>>I write my class notes in LibreOffice and he said "you know, if you were a real professional, you would write it all in Latex."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX
>LaTeX is widely used in academia for the communication and publication of scientific documents in many fields, including mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, chemistry, physics, economics, linguistics, quantitative psychology, philosophy, and political science. It also has a prominent role in the preparation and publication of books and articles that contain complex multilingual materials, such as Tamil, Sanskrit and Greek. LaTeX uses the TeXtypesetting program for formatting its output, and is itself written in the TeX macro language

Attached: hhmmmmmm.png (213x207, 57K)

>No, I'm mad that he's a freetard who would force people to use Linux if he could.
and yet it’s okay when students are forced to use MS Office, windows, and other anti-user trash? Go fuck yourself.

It's not a professional document though, it's my fucking class notes.

Yes, because you're not a professional.
He's just telling you that you won't be able to use your comfy little office when you start working for real.

>Sometimes a student will ask for help, and if they're running Windows he'll outright refuse to help
Now you're just making up bullshit. This kind of mentality only happens in humanities classes where the prof is a faggot that only uses OS X.

Every company I interned at uses MS Office.

latex is a meme used only by academics who like to look smarter than they really are. i work for a firm typesetting magazines where we use adobe indesign exclusively. there's nothing smart or professional about wasting time.

Based
Billy G living rent free in freetard heads

Attached: 1548428414958.jpg (718x617, 76K)

>adobe indesign
Botnet.
>MS Office.
Botnet.

These companies support unethical software. Could you please tell me who they are so that I can refuse to buy products from them?

/thread

>every company I went to are fucking Microsoft-paid shills
Intern at better companies.

Using LaTeX actually wastes significantly less time as you aren't swiping around clicking shit and you can stay using the keyboard the whole time, not even needing to manually do stupid formatting

no, they just have real work to do and real deadlines to have it done by. if your sysadmin knows windows, then use windows. it costs too much time and money replacing systems with linux and when the only motivation is ethical/philosophical then you're shit out of luck, because nobody with money on the line cares about that stuff.

>the only reason to not buy adobe software is narcissism
I was going to chastise but holy lel, you're even more delusional if you think TeX isn't widely used in the real world.

1. it takes the same amount of time to reach for the mouse and click a button as it does to type 5-10 letters.
2. involving the mouse in your workflow helps to prevent rsi.
3. it's far easier for a coworker to look at indesign and see exactly what i was doing than it is for them to read latex sources. this is easily the biggest timesaver when using wysiwyg typesetters.

My assembly language prof is the same way.

This is a good thing

try doing some non-conventional layout in TeX and then using InDesign or Quark.

Don't get tricked into installing/using Linux by Loonixfags unless you're a developer. Except for you health, nothing in life is more valuable than your time. There are no official statistics but we all know it's true: if we had two samples, a group of Windows users and another group of Linux users, the mean amount of virgins, unemployment and faggots who watch anime would be higher in the Linux group. Don't deny it, we all know it's true and again, I am talking about the general rule because like in every statistic, there are exceptions. Being unsuccessful almost always results in a lack of self confidence. They can't stand the fact that they suck at everything in life so what they'll do is trying to convince you to use Linux because apparently it's safer and easier to use (lmfao). Maybe they're not even aware of it but subconsciously they know that their counterpart is not going to be able to handle Linux. In their subconscious mind, they want their counterpart to come back and say "what were you talking about? Linux is not easy to use, it's a waste of time" so they can call him stupid for it and feel superior to anything/anyone for once in their life. You have to consider it's not really their fault, it's just their brain trying to compensate. We shouldn't be mad at them. This does not apply to developers (actual developers, and most people on this "tech" board aren't developers) because it's understandable if a dev doesn't want to deal with cygwin, mingw, wsl or installing libraries on Windows in the first place. But using Linux as a daily driver it a timesink, so don't fall for the trap.

I work in the IT department of a large university.
The profs know nothing. None of them would be able to get a tier 1 tech support gig with their skills.
The guy has likely never held down a job in a professional IT environment.

>Don't get tricked into installing/using Linux by Loonixfags unless you're a developer. Except for you health, nothing in life is more valuable than your time. There are no official statistics but we all know it's true: if we had two samples, a group of Windows users and another group of Linux users, the mean amount of virgins, unemployment and faggots who watch anime would be higher in the Linux group. Don't deny it, we all know it's true and again, I am talking about the general rule because like in every statistic, there are exceptions. Being unsuccessful almost always results in a lack of self confidence. They can't stand the fact that they suck at everything in life so what they'll do is trying to convince you to use Linux because apparently it's safer and easier to use (lmfao). Maybe they're not even aware of it but subconsciously they know that their counterpart is not going to be able to handle Linux. In their subconscious mind, they want their counterpart to come back and say "what were you talking about? Linux is not easy to use, it's a waste of time" so they can call him stupid for it and feel superior to anything/anyone for once in their life. You have to consider it's not really their fault, it's just their brain trying to compensate. We shouldn't be mad at them. This does not apply to developers (actual developers, and most people on this "tech" board aren't developers) because it's understandable if a dev doesn't want to deal with cygwin, mingw, wsl or installing libraries on Windows in the first place. But using Linux as a daily driver it a timesink, so don't fall for the trap.
wrong

Fucking hell, write your class notes in vim into a plain text file. I agree with not using LaTeX, but libreoffice also seems overkill.

>1. it takes the same amount of time to reach for the mouse and click a button as it does to type 5-10 letters.
Sure, if you have room temperature WPM.
>2. involving the mouse in your workflow helps to prevent rsi.
Sure, if you have a shit keyboard.
>3. it's far easier for a coworker to look at indesign and see exactly what i was doing than it is for them to read latex sources. this is easily the biggest timesaver when using wysiwyg typesetters.
Sure, if you have brainlet coworkers.

Companies use MS Office because it fits in nicely with their existing infrastructure, something your prof will have no idea about.
How can I integrate federated SSO using anything other than Microsoft products?

I had a professor like this. INSISTED that LibreOffice is just as good as MS-Office. Would lose his fucking mind if people sent him .docx files because LibreOffice wouldn't open them correctly. He kept going on and on about how LibreOffice is free, so we should just download it and use that instead for his class. The fucking school offered MS-office for free for students. Why the fuck did he think anyone would willingly use LibreOffice? 90% of the class would just send him .PDF. He gave us 0's for grades for not using the office suite he said to use until we reported him to the IT department head. When we were telling him, the guy was just rolling his eyes, apparently this isn't the first time someone complained.

Fucking autist. Fuck Linux, fuck Stallman.

>it takes the same amount of time to reach for the mouse and click a button as it does to type 5-10 letters
How fucking slow do you type? Moving from keyboard to mouse is inherently annoying because of the time it takes to stop and line up the pointer with the arbitrary position on screen. It's only easy if your hand stays on the mouse, i.e. web browsing.
>it's far easier for a coworker to look at indesign and see exactly what i was doing than it is for them to read latex sources. this is easily the biggest timesaver when using wysiwyg typesetters.
And this is almost never a concern for the kind of work that Latex is traditionally used for. It's apples and oranges. The idea that academics only use Latex to seem smart is incredibly retarded.

based professor

>Fuck Linux, fuck Stallman.
LO is descended from an old office suite that initially didn't even support Linux.

absolutely based, Wintards btfo

Fuck you asshole. I like windows and linux is fucking gay

Attached: 1537544109927.gif (382x554, 2.57M)

>screams at students for not typing fast enough and gets mad if you run windows
Your prof seems pretty based.

Oh I know. I used LO more than once when I needed some quick editing done. But it was the way this guy went about it. He basically REEEE'd at use about muh free software muhfuggah and demanded we do things his way. He can get fucked. I paid for the class out of my own pocket I'll use WordStar if it so pleases me.

Latex is good for programming and math notes. You can embedded source code right into them. I use it for all my notes including the humanities classes I take.

Good.
Proprietary file formats need to die.

>freetard professor calling it Linux instead of GNU/Linux or GNU + Linux
I call this bullshit.

Autists will autism, but using LO by your own accord can be difficult if everyone else is using MSO since no one ever bothers to save documents portably. It's frustrating as hell if you otherwise have no need for Windows.

I'm sure it is. But as a professional, you should know by now that Microsoft products are the defacto standard of 99% of the industry barring stuff like specialized servers. There's a reason why the vast majority of people studying Network Administration in college are taught Windows Server OS instead of Redhat or Debian. Meanwhile my IT Security Professor uses a hardened Ubuntu installation as his daily OS, but has a windows based laptop for class.

No shit, in the workplace it doesn't matter since you'll have a work computer anyway. Even if they use GNU/Linux it'll probably be a different distro than the one you use at home, since a lot of commercial packages are for RHEL.

What's wrong with this?

I like to organize them as I write. I always end up printing them out anyways, so I like to do the formatting as I type them down, with headings and what not. Saves me a bunch of time

he calls it UNIX or Unix-styled.

3) Not true. In many cases it's actually easier to just copy paste a code snippet than to explain where you have to click through all the menus.

Additionally, latex is much easier if you have to make several similar changes. Instead of clicking every single thing, you can just search replace.

I already published 6 papers and a 200+page phd thesis with it. Trust me. This was a nice workflow in latex. Although working with graphics is the only downside.

GTFO with that logic and rationality.
This thread is for shitposting only

All of our profs are linux nutheads, but they all also said that they don't care what OS we use as long as we feel comfy and become good programers at the end of the day, so it's pretty based.

If I were in your position, I'd file a report on this retard or just troll him to make him mad and get into debates with him about OS wars and laugh to myself.

Attached: 1549902506704.gif (511x512, 106K)

bro this is my place, if I keep seeing ur posts here..

nah im just kidding bro

Attached: 1539119973850.jpg (1920x1080, 509K)

Good
I hate when people submit .docx files to me, odt or pdf please

You do know word can produce .odt files right?

Why niggerfaggot brainlets keep making these posts? Everyone knows how the penguin jizzed on the pieces of glASS

>because it's understandable if a dev doesn't want to deal with cygwin, mingw, wsl or installing libraries on Windows in the first place

sole reason I wanted to move to linux as I want to be a dev. cygwin/mingw blew so much ass, I could not figure out how windows worked at all vs the relatively simpler linux file hierarchy, and having stuff like gcc and the like on a much simpler and familiar system was very attractive. ricing's pretty fun though. but too much and it's a colossal waste of time

/thread

When a teacher is trying to teach people to use freedom software he's trying to do the right thing. The only reason Microsoft is widespread is because old farts can't learn anything new and Microsoft did unethical business practices in the 90s to get their market share. That teacher is not getting any personal gain from it so you know it's just because he believes in the cause. If it was the other way around and a teacher would try to stop people using GNU+Linux and use Windows instead, you'd know there's some personal profit happening behind the scenes. Stop being a moron and open your eyes.

>he's trying to do the right thing.
No, they're expressing their rage at having to use a university issued device, knowing that every URL requested from a DNS server is logged, that everything they do is recorded in Event Viewer, that we can lock them out of their AD user account, and that there's nothing they can do about it.
They simply do not understand that the technologies they use on their desktop just do not scale up to thousands of endpoints. There is no open source equivalant of, for example AD:DS, or SCCM, or GPOs, or anything which is required to operate a fleet of thousands of PCs.

God, i wish i had a teacher like this

Sounds based as fuck

Attached: stallman_interjection_isis_version.webm (450x360, 2.89M)

And you were both wrong. When you have a finished work you always export to PDF. Not just when your prof is complaining. PDF just works on every platform instead of doc, docx and odt files that most of the time just are only half compatible. Even if everyone uses MS office you can still easily experience problems if it's not the same version. You wouldn't want a document you wrote 10 years ago to just change now would you?

LaTeX is fine for notes

> we can lock them out of their AD user account, and that there's nothing they can do about it.
You're tripping on that power you have.
> There is no open source equivalant of, for example AD:DS, or SCCM, or GPOs
You are proud of using products of EEE strategy. May want to rethink that attitude. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish#Examples - "Networking" part there is specific to LDAP aka AD authentication.
No wonder the prof in the OP tries to stand against MS "technology".

What exactly is the point you are trying to make? Are you saying that LDAP is in some way comparable to the capabilities offered by AD:DS?

In some way, exactly. Samba can act as a domain controller. GPO is a part of IntelliMirror, however, and isn't part of a DAP standard.
searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/Active-Directory-and-IntelliMirror
GPOs were invented by MS to manage MS systems.

You can have different kinds of access rights for different users in Linux. You can have groups where users are added to. I don't see why it wouldn't "scale up to thousands". Whether the teacher is raging or not over this is irrelevant and changes nothing. Some people feel more strongly about it than others. You can't automatically assume it's just mindless raging with no higher purpose of doing the right thing.

It does not just deal with filesystem or network pemrissions, it handles federated identities, single sign on, Azure AD writeback, GUIDs, SIDs and a fuckton more.

If for some reason all that hasn't been done yet, you could still just combine Microsoft's Azure and Linux. Microsoft knows it's going to lose that battle so it tries to stay relevant.
azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/linux-on-azure/

if not bullshit that is an extremely based prof

>I remember him going on a rant at someone at how they weren't real pros because they didn't have FileZilla.
For what it's worth, everywhere I have worked, even places that used windows, has used filezilla as their FTP client.

>There are no official statistics but we all know it's true: if we had two samples, a group of Windows users and another group of Linux users, the mean amount of virgins, unemployment and faggots who watch anime would be higher in the Linux group.
But there are official statistics
linuxjournal.com/magazine/turn-your-computer-phone-skype

notepad++ or a real notebook nigger

latex is overkill for notes but your prof wants you to learn it because he enjoys its beauty and wants to share it with you

Attached: cirno-nee.png (1206x1000, 549K)

damn its losers like this that give linuxfaggots a bad name
i'm a total normalfaggot and i only use linux for KDEconnect because wangblows has nothing near as incredible phone integration. i can literally save screenshots to my phone, send SMS and receive phone notifications all on my OS without a bunch of fucking stupid botnet glitchy dogshit software stealing my data. also Krita is based. but honestly so much shit just works outta the box i love it. having a text editor thats 1000x better than notepad baseline? not having to install greenshot because spectacle already exists? having multiple desktop right out of the box for like 20 years? why would i not use linux? all i do is web browse and listen to music most of the time anyway. i do still have a windows desktop for videogames but they all suck so i havent booted it in months. sorta did want to check out the new ace combat and sekiro tho...

do you unironically think unix/linux has no counter to fucking active directory? LOL

>There is no open source equivalant of, for example AD:DS, or SCCM, or GPOs, or anything which is required to operate a fleet of thousands of PCs.
What makes you think this, exactly? Do you think GNU/Linux spread like wildfire as a server OS purely out of reverence for Stallman?

>Linux
>having an AD counter
pick one

Attached: 1552370910188.webm (878x480, 2.68M)

Your prof is retarded, just use Markdown for note taking

You would be surprised

What does it mean if the cybersecurity class assistant lecturer has an anime girl on his windows desktop

>and real deadlines to have it done by
this is the reason
not "real work". MS Word documents look like absolute fucking garbage but most of that is due to nobody actually bothering to pretty them up since it takes too fucking long and it's a huge pain in the ass in that garbage software

Linux is server OS.
Windows/macos is workmachine software
Windows server is IT servers software. Gotta monitor all those workstations.

I have a similar professor, he will stop the lecture and begin to rant if:
>Sees someone using any instant message app that is not xmmp
>Sees any PC with Windows/Mac
>Sees any programming environment that is not emacss
>Sees someone using Ctrl+c Ctrl+v on linux
He is also extremely pedantic and unpleasant to deal with

linux is for servers
most top developers I've seen use mac

Extremely based prof. His only fault is trying to teach retarded zoomers a thing or two.

>Sometimes a student will ask for help, and if they're running Windows he'll outright refuse to help
>he calls it UNIX or Unix-styled
And here the stupidity of OP reveals itself and the picture is painted more clearly - it appears that the topics covered by the prof aren't really compatible with non-POSIX garbage like Windows, while Linux and Mac OS are A-OK.

Based teacher.
It's a bit rude but he is right user.
Learning Linux and its tools will skyrocket your IT skills, no matter what.

Attached: 35d55a0cfa8a3534d9c95294ef85138b.jpg (500x669, 78K)

Linux tards are like sjw

...only nazis hate them.

this

>op here, this totally happened guys
If you put the energy you put into larping on writing software instead...

Attached: anime girl monster.jpg (1024x922, 77K)

user if that was real(which it isn't) i am pretty jealous.
I instead am forced to use crap like some shit called metaverse.

not really. Proprietary formats are much more convenient, advanced, and accessible than non-closed software

Attached: d567852bc4294f8608ab821b8f9fb5fa5a48d95b_hq.jpg (650x449, 63K)

Ha ha, good one.

my professor was a hot female and after i submitted a tar.xz file he PM'ed me for sex lol i said no cuz 3d is disgusting

None of those are inherently true lmao

>sending .rar
kys

Feel free to elucidate.
Becuase it is my job to manage a fleet of thousands of devices, and I know that there is no open source equivalent.
It gained market share due to being free to license.

I have worked professionally at a number of software companies and we have only used Linux for a few edge cases. Doing a 100,000+ LOC project without Visual Studio or an IDE is just asking for trouble. Linux cultists are truly a vocal minority.