/spg/ - Smartphone General

Xiaomi Folding Phone Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Xiaomi Mi Fold promo video.webm (1280x720, 983K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/5/18251328/apple-corning-foldable-display-gorilla-glass-bendable-smartphone
amazon.de/dp/B079YWSLB9
amazon.de/dp/B079YZ7ZS4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looks fucking neat.

bumps and creases
it will never be solved
screenshot this

How often should you change phones? Bought a Redmi 4x back in 2017 and it feels really dated now by today's standards.

I guess not, but still any polymer or plastic or whatever the fuck the use for the screen will always feel like shit if it isn't glass.
There's nothing good enough to drive the buy impulse to actually jump into the whole "foldable" shit. And I bet that the faggots at Apple won't come up with any overpriced shitty foldable iPhone til they figure out how to effectively milk their retard userbase.
If at some point Apple looks barely interested in adopting this, maybe, maybe it will be worth to look at it to see what's going on.
In the meantime is just a fucking meme and it's funny how companies are trying to hide the bumps and creases on their presentations. Samsung's poor attempt to hide the crease on their phone with the butterfly wallpaper was clever but also smells like desperation.

the answer is bendable glass

Attached: Phyllo - Bend Test.2019-03-01 16_02_18.gif (500x281, 1.17M)

>bumps and creases
>it will never be solved
>screenshot this
It will.
theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/5/18251328/apple-corning-foldable-display-gorilla-glass-bendable-smartphone

looks cool but 5mm diameter means a phone that's 1cm thick. Also how many times will you open and close that after 200k times will just give up and that's without taking into account temp variations, use and a gazillion other external factors.

once every 2 years sounds fine to me, that's my average, I've switched phones earlier and sometimes a bit after the 2 year mark.

>looks cool but 5mm diameter means a phone that's 1cm thick
that's what they are able to do in the current year, it will get better.

Best screen protector for the s10+ lads?

hope so, I don't care for a super thin phone. Super thin and super light and other stupid ideas Apple/Samsung tries to sell are pointless. A phone that's a bit more than 5mm thick but is foldable would be really nice. Problem then will be how many times can you fold it before it explodes and cuts your hands.
How many times will you be able to use it, bend it, etc if you live in a place that's -10°C or 40°C?

now do the same test while also straightening it

>a phone that's 1cm thick
Is that really an issue? Huawei's folding phone is 11mm, Galaxy Fold is 17mm, hell there's regular non-folding phones that are thicker than that.

Galaxy S8 Active
>phone has a good amount of weight
>flat display
>4000mah
>sturdy enough to be /out/
>headphone jack
>microsd capable
>not super bloated compared to my last phone (sprint)
>peak aesthetics: good amount of bezels without any gross notches or holes
You literally cannot argue.

Attached: 61Aj4FFSO3L.jpg (500x484, 66K)

Why the fuck is the roaming internet of my phone as reliable as a belgo-congolese juggler? Is it cause it's a galaxy s2?

I own a mi mix 2s, it's not a thin or light phone. Still normies that come near it think it's a brick. If you are looking to sell it, after years of trying to sell phones that are 3mm thick and light as a feather, you will find resistance.

probably

can you unlock the bootloader? does it have root and custom ROM support? If not then it's no good.

I don't need to fix my phone out the box and rely on pajeets. Custom roms are for old phones that you wanna squeeze that extra bit of life out of. I'm ashamed of such weak bait

Bought that too around the same time. I also had the same feeling, but it just feels outdated design wise. I just switched it for a Mi 8 Pro because the screen was broken. Otherwise, it could be used normally. The only difference is that I have my MiUI back again because I used Lineage OS and this new phone has certain features that make this feel like a niche thing.

i'm too much of brainlet for custom rom,so will never get an poco or redmi, sorry i failed you /spg/

Attached: 1548874107632.jpg (714x930, 469K)

>slider was not waterproof
>put folder on top of cup ramen
The madmen.

>Custom roms are for old phones
Yes? The phone came out in 2017, it'll be EOL soon.

>I don't need to fix my phone out the box and rely on pajeets
It's not about fixing it, it's about having control of the hardware you paid for. Enjoy being cucked by Samsung.

you don't need custom ROM, MIUI is completely fine to use as is.

I hear pocophone f1 has some problems with screen backlight defects and even burn in? What's up with that?

>cucked by Samsung
So there's no reason trying to talk to you. If you really need rooted phones and custom roms in 2019 I don't know what to say. For replacing software loaded with ads then sure but otherwise... EOL doesn't mean the phone can't be used anymore. Some people buy older phones instead of new ones just so you know

brainlet user,
should go for the dip with redmi note 7 and a6 or wait for greener pastures with the a40.

i heard the redmi note 7 heats up like fucking hot potato and scared of getting surprise hand burn.
i live in england, as well bc i might import the note 7 pro and will it work there

Attached: my wished phonies.png (790x898, 205K)

>Redmi 4x
did you get the 4gib/64gib? Redmi note 4 here nope. Feels dated if xiaomi release redmi note with moar corez 8gib/128gib and nfc for $200

There's no need MIUI already good for daily. Been xiaomi user since miui 5 (og redmi note)

Had a S7 active, thing had a crap stock ROM and updates for it slowed it down even more. No custom ROM support made me sell it.

See
and

apple doesn't break ground it refines it

If you can use rn7p go for it
Snapdragon 660 tends to overheat

I had an s7 active as well, loved it and never had a problem. Miss the physical buttons. What carrier did you have cause I never experienced that and I'm curious how they differ between carriers

>If you really need rooted phones and custom roms in 2019 I don't know what to say
You can't see why somebody might want to root or install a custom ROM? What are you even doing on Jow Forums?

>EOL doesn't mean the phone can't be used anymore
But you'll stop getting security updates which means newly discovered exploits won't get fixed anymore. I guess that isn't an issue for a NEET like you, but some people need their phone to be secure.

Old news. Initial production batches of Pocophones had some cases of screen bleeding on the edge but that's been fixed ages ago.

2019 flagships don't need custom roms, unless you want to get rid of the chinkOS it's running from across the seas. And no one gives a shit about what's on your phone, if they really want your information, security updates won't stop them

Are older versions of GCam (4, 3) worth using over the one that comes with LineageOS?
Is the quality an improvement even on those ancient versions?

thanks user, i might be getting redmi note 7 pro if i can import it and if not, i will get the samsung a40 because of my love for amoled shit.
also will the redmi note 7 pro charge goodly in the uk due to different voltage and fears of it exploding using a normal uk usb c charger

Attached: 1546793216823.png (1242x814, 612K)

Alright ill just check what batch it is in store

For the user who recommend me a Mi Mix 2s in the last thread: I love you so fucking much.

Between that model and a Pocophone, I'm going to buy the Mix because of the LTE bands.

For the anons who have a Mi Mix 2s, can you guys share your experience with the phone? How good it's the battery and the camera overall? (Using gcam of course).

Attached: xiaomi-mi-mix-2s-6gb128gb-blanco-dual-sim-6941059603443.jpg (1200x1200, 97K)

Thoughts on Huawei Mate 20 Lite?

Looks cool but that thing won't last more than a month of active folding & unfolding

I think Google Camera 4.4 is the first with the HDR+ processing, anything older than that isn't probably worth using since the HDR+ is kinda the whole point of GCam.

FUCK now i want to get a mi mix 2s just because it looks so damn good without that poco notch
But its 30000 rubles vs 23000 for pocophone, its so not worth it.
My mind is telling me no, but still

shit

state your case in 50 words or more

Why not get it off Aliexpress? You can get it under $300 with the coupon.

>2019 flagships don't need custom roms
First of all, not true. Even a 2019 flagship will eventually stop getting updates from the manufacturer, if you want to keep the software up to date after that you'll need a custom ROM. Many people wan't to run their phones without Google software, the easiest way to do that is to flash a custom ROM that comes without Gapps like LineageOS. Some people might just prefer stock Android over the manufacturers Android skin. So there's still plenty of reasons to want to use a custom ROM.

Secondly, if you follow the reply chain then you'd see the discussion is about a phone from 2017, so your point is moot anyway.

Long wait time
Also ill have no warranty for phone ordered from aliexpress, right?
Also like 0.01% chance but still i fear Russian mail can outright steal the phone and i'll waste even more time getting a refund
So I want to buy locally so i have 1yr warranty and 14day return policy
But fuck ill save 6k (30%)

I need a new phone, not sure what to look for. Should I just order a Redmeme 6 Pro and be done with it?

>Long wait time
I would think shipping from China to Russia would be fast since they are neighboring countries? Though I guess the distances can still be fairly long...

>Also ill have no warranty for phone ordered from aliexpress, right?
Most of the stores on Ali actually do give you a warranty on phones (12 months is typical), the issue is that you'll need to send it back to China for repairs or replacement if there is any problems with the phone.

Can anyone tell me how good/bad it's the Mix 2s camera in comparison to the Poco camera or the RN7 camera? All using gcam of course. I can't find videos with those comparison.

why buy Note 6 when Note 7 is out?

Shipping from China to Russia can take from 12 days if ur lucky to 50 days if not afaik, it's also bad because it's all shipped through Moscow (toll reasons i guess?) when I'm closer to china than to Moscow
Yeah shipping it to them for warranty completely kills it if i have to wait ~30days shipping 2 times not counting repair time

Why are Verizon phones seemingly unrootable and impossible to jailbreak?

Mix 2S has the same rear camera sensor as Pocophone except with OIS, so it should be able to take better photos.

Shit i can actually buy it for 24k from a store that basically flips phones from aliexpress, decisions decisions

I stand by what I said. Custom roms are nice but they don't take away from the fact that the s8 active is a great phone. Custom rom support shouldn't be a knock against a phone, only an additional bonus.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with getting notifications on the lock screen with the new s10? Edge lighting won't work when the phone is locked and the screen is off despite being set to appearing always, and I can't figure out how to set it so the screen simply lights up when I get a notification.

>Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
>$175 on Amazon

>Xiaomi Redmi Note 5
>$178 on Amazon

>Xiaomi Redmi Note 6
>$150 on Amazon

rate options please

I updated to Pie and I noticed a lot of Magisk modules I used on Nougat are not compatible (API is too high). What do?

Get a Redmi Note 7

is there anything better in the xiaomi mi 9 price range (or below)? Also does it have any obnoxious quirks?

Man im probably just as braindead as you but it's not that hard to install custom roms just watch some youtube videos

The only competitor would be the oneplus 6t and those two phones are very similar in terms of looks and specs. Pick the one you think you would enjoy.

Apple will make a foldable phone after Samsung and Huawei discontinue theirs and it will come with a 1080p display, mark my words.

You stand by the willing decision to be a good consumer cuck?

Here's a cropped version of a pic my drunk ass took with night mode (not the Gcam one tho) on the mix 2s, it's pretty acceptable IMO. Pretty sure that the OIS helps it quite a lot so it should at least be slightly better.

Attached: IMG_20190327_195645.jpg (3024x3024, 1.94M)

Redmi Note 7 you dummy.

>Custom rom support shouldn't be a knock against a phone
a permanently locked bootloader definitely is a "knock against a phone"

any quirks? Though really I don't know why I get so picky, my current phone is a fucking galaxy sII, anything would be better

Oneplus 6t has a bigger battery. Both phones have optical in display fingerprint sensor that rapes your eyes with light if you use it in the dark. Miui is fucking ass but since you use a galaxy sII I don't think you'll mind.

you can change the miui or whatever right? the phone is not locked?

Yeah just install a custom rom but oxygen os is still overall a nicer experience out of the box.

More buzzwords and memes please

That look good enough for me too. Why aren't using the Gcam night mode tho? Also can you share more photos using gcam? Thanks user.

Not really

the experience of being able to actually open 1.5+ mb images in clover and avoid three crashes an hour will probably be enough to wow me initially

>OP6T
Older SoC (SD845 vs SD855), worse cameras, no wireless charging, and at least in Europe it's more expensive (549€ vs 449€ for Mi9). Get the Mi9.

Holy fuck isnt there any phone under 150mm and 500 eur? Do I really have to wait for Mi 9 SE or Pixel 3 dropping in price (never ever)?

Attached: 1527594873132.jpg (1920x2560, 737K)

Galaxy S8/S9
Pixel 2
Sony XZ1, XZ1/XZ2 Compact
Nokia 8 Sirocco
Honor 10
Huawei P20
LG G6
and probably a hundred budget phones

>Waiting for Pie update for XA2 to download and flash
>Recovery is fucked, custom ROM's don't entirely work
>Rooted phone isn't getting updates, stuck on March 2018 security patch

Should I look into some security apps to (at least partially) cover that huge gap in time? Or does being that outdated not really matter? I gutted the ROM and have mostly F-droid stuff on it already.

too old SoC or over 500
too old SoC
over 500
too old SoC
shitty SoC
shitty SoC
shitty old SoC

just

please respond

Attached: 1547847057778.png (399x332, 91K)

So you want a flagship under 500, good luck, we'd all like that

100% compromised

Attached: .jpg (4096x3072, 2.62M)

>Huawei
>Botnet

>s9
>xz2c
>over 500
nope
amazon.de/dp/B079YWSLB9
amazon.de/dp/B079YZ7ZS4

never said I wanted a flagship user. You can have 845s or 855s under 500 but nothing under 150mm

poco

>will the redmi note 7 pro charge goodly in the uk due to different voltage and fears of it exploding using a normal uk usb c charger
Look at pretty much any phone charger, it will say "input: 100-240v, 50hz-60hz" in small print on it, so no, it won't explode.

Mi 9 se or Mi Mix 2s?

Is Titanium Backup still the best app to export your apps+data to a new phone?

Redmi Note 4 5 6 7, or poco?
I need the longest lasting battery to watch faggy streams, shitpost and browse the web all day.
Does anyone have any other recommendations for me?
>no notch
>not too tall
>3.5mm jack

What is the best smart phone in terms of privacy that can be obtained in 2019?

I have sprint and live in California and have no idea about programming or booting or anything like that.

pls no bully

Where it's that 30 dollars for Ali, guys? Also, how long will it last? I'm planning to use it in the Ali birthday tomorrow. Does this coupons stacks?

Librem 5

Install a custom rom with no gapps and use browsers that block ads and tracking.

I hadn't tried gcam at all yet, but it's cool. I just can't take anything more interesting than this indoor still life right now but it's something at least. Light is pretty average indoor lighting. Shutter is 1/25, iso like 1100. This was with gcam on auto mode by the way. I mainly notice lower noise reduction and the night mode (not used in pic related) is slower and slightly brighter with gcam, also less noise reduction of course.

Attached: IMG_20190327_205123~2.jpg (3017x2517, 1.52M)

How are you guys enjoying Android Q?
I'm considering updating my Pixel 1 to the beta, but since this phone is a little old, I'm a little apprehensive. Not sure if I want to deal with bugs and slowdown.