Void linux

I fell for the manjaro meme as my first time using linux and installed it on my thinkpad a few months ago. I decided I want something that is systemd free, rolling release, and stable enough. What do you think about voidlinux? I have been trying it on a vm for a while, pic related

Attached: V70Bf6r.png (1440x900, 212K)

Other urls found in this thread:

etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've been on the voidlinux musl distro for a few weeks now and I can't say I hate it. It's not as comfy as Arch, but that's mostly due to my lack of dotfiles. I'm working on it.

runit and xbps are just as capable as systemd and pacman, and a hell of a lot faster.

Install LFS

Attached: 2019-03-27-231326_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 72K)

What are the main differences between the musl and the other version? Did you notice any incompatibilities yet?

etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html

I can't really tell a big difference, and I haven't had any compatibility issues yet, but my use case is pretty basic.

what does && rm -rf /* do?

>systemd free
Enjoy your buggy, conflicting, problematic boot. This is why we fucking have systemd, everything else was goddamn shit.

Install Gentoo.
Seriously though, I've used void linux but it gave me more problems even than Arch, which I currently use quite comfortably. Could be that I just insist on using KDE though, which turns out it doesn't work well on void because of systemd dependencies. Although aside from that I also encountered sound issues.

He's on a VM you idiot, you're not trolling or erasing shit...

It boots very fast and creating services is as easy as in a systemd OS so far tho
Deletes the entire system, but I didn't use sudo so nothing happened

what did he mean by this?

gentoo is way better than void

Attached: 1521438630100.gif (640x480, 1.85M)

That's sweet.
Do you use gentoo sir?

sir, how do you get that bar at the bottom of your vim that shows the directory, is it a plugin or native vim command?
and 2, what font do you use? thanksman

on my pc I use arch
gentoo on the thinkpad

Attached: 2019-03-27-210304_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 64K)

It's a plugin, I don't remember the name but if you search for vim plugins it will be one of the first to pop up for sure. The vim theme is gruvbox and I'm pretty sure the font came with it. The terminal font is Liberation Mono but I remember selecting terminus in lxsppearance a few days ago when I created the VM

Very impressive ram usage and minimal amount of packages. Void came with around 600 by default (the xfce flavor, I would expect the base image to be very small)

Hi poettering

Why do you want to move off of systemd in the first place? Because of a single article written up by someone widely regarded as needlessly paranoid having their assumptions already proven inaccurate on several occasions? Do your own research instead of blindly reading tinfoil hat garbage on Jow Forums like a complete sucker. Systemd is modular, efficient and handles itself better than every other equivalent out there.

thanks man I realized the font was in your screencap and set it, unfortunately it still renders terribly. pic related
do you know what font size you used?

Attached: 2019-03-27-214628_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 790K)

Best distribution I have ever used, but has a bunch of it's problems.

For example: no Wine64 in repos.

2 edgy

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 7K)

never mind, I'm using noto mono@11 now and it looks good

>What do you think about voidlinux?
It works.
I use it as a media box at my parents' and as my main laptop OS.

Attached: 2019-03-26-09:02:55-screenshot.png (750x441, 62K)

>Did you notice any incompatibilities yet?
Panasonic drivers use binary blobs compiled against glibc, so no printing, unless I chroot.
Same with anything proprietary or (I think) wine.

I hate how they removes packages after updates. They just removed soulseekqt. I updated and it's gone now.

Don't use musl version unless you really know what you are doing.
Most things are dependent on glibc, therr are few hacks in lots of package but not even close to what is needed.
Thing are brtter now as runtimes are being ported well due to big companies wanting to use musl in docker images. But drivers binary blobs are another story.

Prefer BSD's for the systemdicks-free os

try MX Linux, systemd free

I couldn't get wifi working on my Broadcom chipset no matter what, either through wpa supplicant or networkmanager. Ended up switching to Gentoo.
>dwm+st
My man

Attached: 1553442303912.jpg (319x331, 15K)

>What are the main differences between the musl and the other version? Did you notice any incompatibilities yet?
GNU Chess segfaults after the first move

what's that? Grinch?

>Just as capable
Blatantly false.
>A lot faster
No. Just no. They are incredibly similar when it comes to performance.

This is for every one of you

GNU utilities are harmful for your system

fuck off lennart

>t. undergrad who thinks technically inferior scripted init systems are better than systemd

>No. Just no.
Looks like you didn't try runit.

Even if we don't take 1:30 waits into account, Reno's is simply faster than systemD.

You literally described what init system should be then down argumented yourself. What a loser lmao

If it relies on shell scripting it's shit. End of story.
>1:30 waits
Never had to deal with this, if there's a problem I'd rather have a 1:30 minute wait so I know I'm supposed to fix it.

What's with these systemDick shills coming out so angry today?

probably systemd printed cocks in their log files after fucking their arch install for the third time.