Why would anyone take the time and effort to install gentoo...

Why would anyone take the time and effort to install gentoo? It just seems like a waste when you look at the other distro options.

Attached: Row0px7n.png (512x512, 104K)

Apparently compiling shit yourself has some sort of benefit but I'm not sure what it is really...could be just a meme.

Systemd is optional.
It has serious debloating potential since you only install what you need through USE flags.
Portage is pretty great.
It is pretty well supported and decently documented.

Attached: 1535929030257.jpg (540x393, 15K)

Attached: 2019-03-27-224357_3000x1920_scrot.png (3000x1920, 2.12M)

new OS install, testing if I copied trip correctly

No bloat

jesus

if you automatically configured the kernel with genkernel you arent using real gentoo

Attached: Mayor_Dieter_Hellstrom_August_Diehl_Bastardos_sin_Gloria.png (260x272, 80K)

Maybe installing gentoo or doing LFS is part of a non-shit university curriculum.

I need to make new vertical papes. The ones I have are old and need serious touchups.

yikes

>clover
sugoi!!

>plasma with bitmap fonts
you motherfucking asshole, I hope your whole family drops dead.

I have used funtoo and gentoo multiple times for over 6 month periods but I always jump back to Solus. What it comes down to is work vs pleasure. At some point I cant get something I need for work or pleasure and spend hours compiling a bunch of shit. Also after running benchmarks to compare performance you will be let down at maybe 1% increase. Do yourself a favor and deal with whatever distro you are comfortable with.

It's a different approach to managing Linux than many other distros. Ebuilds are magic. Every problem at $work with dependency resolution and deployment of internal projects could be solved with Ebuilds and portage trivially. Building .debs is suffering, but we're doing that instead.

The defaults tend to be more sane than Debian based systems, as well. For example, apt install nginx starts nginx after install. On what planet does that make sense when you haven't had a chance to configure it yet? (I am aware you can disable this.)

Package manager configuration is just in /etc/portage/, apt configuration lives across several obscure directories.

Package sets make it trivial to do configuration management (e.g. on my laptop I want a package set for wifi management, on my desktop I want a package set for image manipulation). Overlays and ebuilds make it trivial to build your own shit (or any unpackaged software).

Network configuration via /etc/conf.d is simple and intuitive for most cases I've run into.

I could go on.

it's actually pretty comfy. compiling times aren't extremely long unless is a massive DE or browser (though my laptop is 11 years old) and it's really stable and minimal. don't belive in any of the performance boost bullshit because that's not true at all. you either love it or hate it

>freedom to make the choices binary distros make for you
>bleeding edge packages on a stable system and vice versa
>no dependency hells and random breakages
>ability to easily customize packages
>having multiple package versions available for installation
>being able to block and whitelist non free licensed software
>convenience of build scripts in favor of binary package formats
>ease of applying patches
>hardened profile
>world file
>overlays
>slotting
>-funroll-loops
etc

also, it doesn't take much time or effort to install; takes like one afternoon
it's essentially not that different from installing arch

Attached: 1411593928549.png (610x700, 517K)

why install gentoo when free bsd exists?

Attached: iq by operating system.png (4000x3515, 2.34M)

the fraction of extra effort and time required to install it gives you a completely modular distro that you get to build from the ground up to tailor exactly to your wants and needs

systemdtrash and bloatnigger distros just can't compete

reminder that funtoo exists
it's got debian kernels and lots of profiles

Attached: iori.jpg (720x1280, 226K)

Because it works and you only have to do it once.

>cuckbsd