Has there ever been a bigger scam in the history of technology?

Has there ever been a bigger scam in the history of technology?
How was Nvidia never sued for this shit?

Attached: 71kNunn+NSL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 28K)

When was the last time you went outside?

Any of NVIDIA's consumer cards priced over $600 are complete scams, much worse than either 1030 model.

I'm not talking about the 1030 per se
I'm talking about the fact that there's a half as fast card, using outdated memory, with the same name at the same price

It literally says DDR4 on the packaging so it's not technically false advertising. Is it a scam? No. Is it scummy? Absolutely. Up to the consumer to wade through the shit

but 1030 faster than ryzen vega apu

this

It's $20 cheaper than this one, and visibly crappier. For a customer that just needs something to run a monitor or two, there's no reason for a company not to have a product that fills that niche, especially if the company has a bunch of ddr4 to get rid of. I'll give another this, with the thought that having the word gaming on the box is a bigger lie than not having a sticker that says 'THIS IS THE CRAPPIEST CARD WE MAKE'

Attached: 02G-P4-6333-KR_LG_1.png (600x600, 97K)

You're kidding me, right? The malicious intent is VERY clear
The sole purpose is to take advantage of parents and little children who don't know much about computer tech.
They wouldn't dare do this to a mid range/upper level grafics card because they'd get called out on it immediately and would sell an absolute zero of them.
Not to mention how some don't even have DDR4 written on right, this here just has D4. Which means jack shit to normal people.
If they wanted to just get rid of DDR4 ram they had, they could have just called it 1020.

Attached: 2018031316143937_big[1].png (1000x1000, 168K)

>cheap card with passive cooling
Good card. Better than these overblown, overpowered shit cards for casual as fuck moviegaming.

IIRC they did this with the 1050 too.

They did this with the GT730 as well. And the GT630.

Are you that user who came here a few days ago saying that some asshole sold it to you as VR ready?

>intent, taking advantage
No shit, that's what businesses do. They push as far as the law allows them too. For Nvidia, the line was the 970 VRAM fiasco so they know not to push over it. Again, up to the consumer to understand what they are buying. Knowledge is money. If I buy a Dragon Dildo D4 for $10 while not knowing that a $12 Dragon Dildo D5 offers double the dick then it's on me for being dildo illiterate.

>wouldn't dare do this on mid range
>would sell an absolute zero
1060 3GB lmao

>could have just called it 1020
Absolutely. It's scummy that companies do this but it's the consumer's lack of knowledge that allow them to do so

what

>1060 3GB
This is arguably worse because the actual GPU is a worse one than the normal 1060.
The name only suggested less VRAM and nothing else.

The 1030 DDR4 has a crippled GPU compared to the 1030 GDDR5 too

wew
IIRC AMD doesn't do this. I wonder if they will either start doing it too or people are just gonna assume they do because nvidia set precedence.

>IIRC AMD doesn't do this
RX 580 4GB - 7000Mhz GDDR5
RX 580 8GB - 8000Mhz GDDR5

AMD sold a 570 as 580 to the chinks.

But is the GPU different? Memory being different is a given even if it might be slower.

Yeah they're going crazy with the renames.

RX480 8GB - both 7GHz and 8GHz chips, people shared which one that specific model had. However, it has nothing to do with the chip itself. Nvidia is crippling chips due to the 3.5 GB problem, the arch is the same.

It is a scam, but this particular GPU runs great for non gaming tasks and worsk in those gimped desktops using laptop power supplies

1030 is perfect to chuck in older/oem machines for a nice boost

settle down incel

1030 is just a gimped 1050.

Why so many retards ITT. OP's anus burn is not with the GT 1030 itself, but its DDR4 version. Nvidia (and the OEMs), being Nvidia, released a severely gimped GT 1030 with DDR4 instead of the original's GDDR5. It's slightly cheaper but has HALF the performance of the original. An argument was made that while misleading, it's not false advertising.

Attached: Fortnite_720p.png (1334x922, 46K)

they do this every time. not news

/thread
It's quite scummy but nowhere near as fucked as previous gens, where even core counts and architectures would vary with no difference in packaging

I remember them selling FX5200 and 5500 cards with halfed memory buses without clear product markings on the boxes even.

It's a tactic as old as the company.

AMD did the same with RX560 14CU model, which was a lot more scummy as its not advertised its a gimped model.
With the 1030 you know its DDR4 on the box

They do it because the pennies matter at the low end for them to make a profit because these cards sell the most in bulk to consumers because no one wants to spend a huge amount of money to buy higher end cards. It really doesn't matter if you lose half the performance because of crap DDR4 ram instead of GDDR5 or if you get a crappy die with 14 CUs instead of the 16 when it saves Nvidia and AMD money to sell these "defective" products under the same name in order to move orders. You can bet your ass that Intel will be doing the same once they get into the discrete GPU market with their lowest end cards.

>single slot card
>passive cooler extends in another slot, defeating the purpose of being single slot
that's the real issue right there