Run DOS and DOS software on modern machines

FreeDOS is an open source DOS-compatible operating system that you can use to play classic DOS games, run legacy business software, or develop embedded systems. Any program that works on MS-DOS should also run on FreeDOS.

freedos.org

Attached: freedos13rc1.png (720x400, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doshaven.eu/
opus.co.tt/dave/indexall.htm
dosprograms.info.tt/
mpxplay.sourceforge.net/
jumpjet.info/Application-Software/DOS/sfn.htm
hepsiburada.com/dark-evo-g221-amd-raven-ridge-rizen-2200g-8gb-1tb-freedos-masaustu-bilgisayar-dk-pc-g221-pm-HB00000ADHB7
cndos.senpai.cx/
translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=es&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://cndos.senpai.cx/&xid=25657,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700248,15700253
winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/7x
web.archive.org/web/20091019214512/http://hk.geocities.com/roytam1/
vetusware.com/download/Mini-Windows 3.11/?id=12609
cn-dos.net/newdos/dosmain.htm
np.reddit.com/r/UnethicalLifeProTips/comments/b3f0d1/ulpt_if_youre_ever_doing_business_with_a_chinese/eizswm2/
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games
bunnzy.org/
bbc.com/news/technology-27407502
dosprograms.info.tt/internet.htm)
kompx.com/en/network-setup-in-dos-microsoft-network-client.htm
kompx.com/en/ftp-in-dos.htm
opensource.com/article/17/6/upgrade-bios-freedos
youtube.com/watch?v=iWWWlfHC3Og
youtube.com/watch?v=iu6ggWFxyGk
sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/36231968/
wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Windows
forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/934-launchbox-for-ms-dos-special-edition/
translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.cn-dos.net/newdos/dosart16.htm&xid=25657,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700248,15700253&usg=ALkJrhjO3VJCCBaVj9WncYTv9Pvp3LPlHg
marketwatch.com/story/one-chart-shows-how-mobile-has-crushed-pcs-2016-04-20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thank you user very cool

dosbox already existed

doshaven.eu/
opus.co.tt/dave/indexall.htm

I miss these DOS Sierra games.

This is a nice thread.

>opus.co.tt/dave/indexall.htm
dosprograms.info.tt/ it says to update your bookmarks.

Attached: FreeDOS _ The FreeDOS Project.png (600x600, 37K)

Does this work on Ryzen?

tx!
also:
www.high-voltage.cz
mpxplay.sourceforge.net/
jumpjet.info/Application-Software/DOS/sfn.htm

hepsiburada.com/dark-evo-g221-amd-raven-ridge-rizen-2200g-8gb-1tb-freedos-masaustu-bilgisayar-dk-pc-g221-pm-HB00000ADHB7

China Dos Union!!!

cndos.senpai.cx/

or

translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=es&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://cndos.senpai.cx/&xid=25657,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700248,15700253

winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/7x

miniwindows 3.11 on floppy disk

web.archive.org/web/20091019214512/http://hk.geocities.com/roytam1/

vetusware.com/download/Mini-Windows 3.11/?id=12609

Back when you didn't need a massive monitor as standard. We had 11" screens and were happy with them, damn it!

why does china love dos so much? is it because they aren't human? but then what is the relation?

>cndos.senpai.cx/
it doesn't work

because it´s a versatile system that requires little power and is easier to program than windows. You can also run 32-bit programs quietly for NT or GNU environments.

The Chinese people are mostly hardworking, and good. The action films they make are the best, and the image quality is the best that exists today.

Labeling a group of people is bad.

It´s rare that through google translator you enter the site but directly you can not. It can be a restriction of the country.
Another site of China DOs Union is:
cn-dos.net/newdos/dosmain.htm

Nice. DOS is surely a relic from the past. But I'm not sure if having to maintain DOS software is heaven or hell, specially considering the expectations of modern software.

Also, most of the links from the software section seem to be dead, sadly.

>or develop embedded systems
Why the fuck would anyone use this shit outside some legacy reasons in companies?
Only manchild faggots are developing/playing anything on long-dead systems.

And Chinese government love and take care of it's people. New America software not safe so we pick old one, more reliable and safe.

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

fuck AMERICANS I am a good person and I love my country and I respect my country and the honorable leaders.

maybe don't come to an American website then. fuck off back to a Chinese website where you have no free speech.

Your social credit has dropped by 20 points
Isn't it interesting that I can fuck up someone's shit on the other side of the planet just by posting some text to a Mongolian basket weaving forum?
Usually causality is more subtle and harder to influence but btfoing the chinese is easy because their shit government is made up of paranoid schizophrenics.
Over here if I run a red light I don't lose my social standing. The bejing international airport is a shithole and china is the worlds toilet fuck off.

Yeah but it's not the same as booting up a system; plus, it's not 100% perfect yet.

thank you user very cool
greeting from India

Greetings from the UK

Attached: 81kl5NoVegL._SX425_.jpg (425x365, 29K)

>We had 11" screens and were happy
Because you were poor.

Attached: Rothschild's master.jpg (290x290, 18K)

Do you think that pasta works when the site is loaded over HTTPS? AFAIK the connection should be dropped, but he still replied.

Even the IBM only had a 12" monitor.

>Isn't it interesting that I can fuck up someone's shit on the other side of the planet just by posting some text to a Mongolian basket weaving forum?
damn, imagine being this fucking stupid. do you actually think that happens?

Attached: are-you-a-burger-24658861.png (500x522, 104K)

>imagine being so fucking deluded that you think china's social credit program is fake.
Wow I'm glad my IQ isn't in the double digits like (you)
The social credit system is literally designed to be tied to your quality of life. That's why sperged the fuck out.

t. Eurolover

Attached: download.jpg (224x224, 8K)

based and REDpilled

FYI 4channel.org and Jow Forums.org are blocked by the GFW. Chinese users aren't able to read your stupid copypasta, so it has zero effect here. If a Chinese user is actually reading Jow Forums, they're doing so with a VPN, which makes them skip the filtering anyway. Posting it on Weibo/Wechat/etc is another story.

np.reddit.com/r/UnethicalLifeProTips/comments/b3f0d1/ulpt_if_youre_ever_doing_business_with_a_chinese/eizswm2/

Useful for flashing BIOSes

Other than that, what's the point?

Dont forget it comes with a package manager to install more software.

archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games
bunnzy.org/
ftp://ftp.bu.edu/pub/mirrors/simtelnet/msdos/

Attached: 155.jpg (880x640, 58K)

It's nice being able to interact and manipulate your computer so close to the metal.

Or I can do the more reasonable thing and use custom dosbox launchers for all my dos game needs. Shit, most modern dos game ports already include a custom dosbox launcher anyways.

I didnt find a guide on how to flash the BIOS from DOS, why is the information so scarce?

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 劉曉波动态网自由门

How is running DOS better than running Linux without an X server?

Free Tibet
Tianneman Square 1989
Winnie The Pooh
The Great Leap Forward

I wish Jow Forums BBS was still a thing. Freedos has networking doesn't it? What can you do in the internet with freedos

basado y rojo pastillado

To say that an operating system is dead because it is not used massively is wrong. Still today we use systems that are now "dead" like windows 3, 9x, nt, msdos, amiga, atari, os2, cpm, beos, and more. Each one has a purpose, as is the case of George RR Martin who still uses DOS to write his scripts:
bbc.com/news/technology-27407502
The best of non-current technology is that it allows creativity to flow.

You have many options.
(dosprograms.info.tt/internet.htm)
To browse the internet in Arachne and Dillo graphical mode (it is similar to internet explorer 3), in Lynx text mode (which is also compatible with Gopher).
Also on that page there are mail and chat clients, web servers, etc.

For a network between computers using samba that is used to share files with windows and linux:
kompx.com/en/network-setup-in-dos-microsoft-network-client.htm
or by ftp:
kompx.com/en/ftp-in-dos.htm

You can run a BBS on FreeDOS. Lunduke does.

opensource.com/article/17/6/upgrade-bios-freedos

youtube.com/watch?v=iWWWlfHC3Og

>it allows creativity to flow.
you can write books on any operating system you fucking mongoloid

Not what he said you mong.

yes it is, acting like using antiquated things makes you more 'creative'
nostalgic horseshit

You dont know everything, kys.

what a retarded non-argument

Keep thinking you are a genius, you are not.

youtube.com/watch?v=iu6ggWFxyGk

doesnt take a genius to call an idiot an idiot

>DOS
based

Attached: 3sis.png (641x476, 79K)

You are an idiot.

ouch

kys, both of you

look at this fucking faggot. I hope you fucking die

Attached: 1553397626206.jpg (641x481, 78K)

freedos is pretty cool desu

instant start, low hardware requirements for the same task as in more powerful systems, instant shutdown, faster programs because they have a simple yet elegant design, thousands of options to choose from, widely available documentation, simple operation, compatible with new hardware (via emulation or by means of freedos), cost = $ 0 (ms two 6 is abandonware and 3 open source, freedos is open source), it can be used directly from removable disks, it can do most tasks that windows or linux, freedom to configuration and possibility of adding additional options eligible through menu, community of users on the Internet, catalog of programs in constant development, has the best catalog of games and more varied than other systems - and that are increasingly used, is safe and stable even with reduced hardware, windows needs two to fix their shits, everyone who uses a computer ever used it, even without realize it

have you ever actually used DOS? you were lucky if the program even supported a mouse

msdos is compatible with the mouse. For this, like any operating system, you need a Driver. The best that exists is CuteMouse (cutemouse.sourceforge.net) open source code, light (3.5kb), with support for serial mouse - ps2 - touchpad (even compatible with the wheel)

However, if the program you are running does not support a mouse, it will not work when you run it (mostly old programs), but 99% of the programs are compatible.

its compatible with a mouse yes, most programs dont support it though, and of those that do the mouse movement is not very high resolution

that controller is really useful and fast. To speed up the response you have video drivers for the graphic part and for the textual part. These also give compatibility layer to the use of the mouse. In turn, you have auxiliary shell like 4dos that give compatibility of the use of the mouse in shell mode.
There are also keyboard drivers that greatly accelerate the response and add certain utilities that are welcome in programming tasks.

As I said, 99% of the software for two is compatible with the mouse. Its use became standard in windows because it is a graphical operating system, but I can assure you that managing the tasks with the keyboard is much faster than with the mouse, although at first it is uncomfortable.

(I'm using google translator)

"two" is DOS.

>As I said, 99% of the software for two is compatible with the mouse.
its not
most dos software is keyboard only

>Requiring a mouse
LMAO!

What are the programs that you refer to that do not work with the mouse?
Maybe what you want to say is that the double click does not work or drag and drop like windows? because that can be done using a GUI like Seal.

I can't remember, I haven't used it in over 20 years
I mean there is no actual mouse support at all, or you have a cursor in a text user interface which is so clunky you're better off just using the keyboard anyway

maybe the only way is to try it directly with Dosbox, since maybe on that occasion you used two was not properly configured or the mouse driver was old

(I'm using google translator)

"two" is DOS.

Is this a meme some people just made up to waste peoples time? I tried using FreeDOS to run some old DOS games and nothing worked properly (no sound, corrupted graphics, etc).

I used real DOS in the 1980s

Ok samefag, stop shitting the thread.

Modern DOS versions even have compatibility with USB, SATA, 3d Accelerators, and more. Using the appropriate driver you can do what you mention and more. The newer drivers offer better compativility. Freedos is not completely compatible with games, for this it is better to use MSDOS 6 or higher.
But Freedos is compatible with new technologies, so it is the best to run programs that are not games.

For its part, the version of msdos de china dos union is far, the best version of MSDOS, and its use is very similar to windows 9x.

Attached: freedos_logo_by_rbuchanan_dcm4zkh-350t.jpg (450x350, 18K)

I wonder if they ever fixed that stupid copy bug. In real dos one types "copy A:blah.txt" and it knows to copy to the implied current directory, whereas freedos freaks out and refuses to copy.

Can you install windows 3.11 on free DOS?

FreeDOS (and other good stuff) used to be included in SystemRescueCD. But no more.

Fuck you, SystemRescueCD!

sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/36231968/

9x
wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Windows

forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/934-launchbox-for-ms-dos-special-edition/

msdos and win (3,9x,nt) dos - win programs launcher, url launcher and more...
low ram impact

I think it's quite naïve to say that what you use to do something has no effect on the outcome of that thing.

But one key thing is that if you have a wide range of OSs and hardware being current and supported then you are able to use a technology at the level you require.

Attached: GRRM computer.jpg (617x407, 33K)

translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.cn-dos.net/newdos/dosart16.htm&xid=25657,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700248,15700253&usg=ALkJrhjO3VJCCBaVj9WncYTv9Pvp3LPlHg

"As you know, DOS is a very powerful operating system that has dominated the operating system for a long time. The application software designed for it is very numerous and constantly evolving. Later, Windows 3.x and Windows 9x were launched. They are based on the application environment under the DOS operating system. Everyone knows their powerful functions and can see the strong development potential of DOS.

Due to its powerful functions and convenient operation, DOS has established a good position in the minds of many people around the world. These people have become strong supporters of DOS. They prefer DOS compared to Windows, so they have always insisted on the development of DOS programs, not Windows programs. At the same time, Microsoft has crowded out operating systems outside of Windows in a variety of ways, causing dissatisfaction. Moreover, due to the rise of the open source movement, people, especially programmers, have begun to turn their attention to the brilliant DOS or Linux. These people are no longer followers of Windows, but start developing software for DOS or Linux. They often develop both DOS and Linux versions for their own programs, many of which are based on the DOS version.

Due to the combination of these two programmers who develop DOS programs, the DOS programs in recent years have made remarkable development. If you combine these programs, Windows' main function, DOS, can be done and improved. These actions gradually formed the DOS revival movement, and more and more people joined in and designed new software for DOS."

just why, let the past die ffs

>I have one of those nine-pound Dell laptops you can get for $389 because nobody ended up buying that model, for obvious reasons. I took the wireless card out immediately, and I plugged up the Ethernet hole with superglue. I did work on a DOS machine until about five years ago. It ran WordPerfect 5.0, which is still the best software ever written for a writer, I think.

>It’s doubtful that anyone with an Internet connection at his workplace is writing good fiction.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (650x840, 136K)

>you can use to play classic DOS games
you can but why would you

marketwatch.com/story/one-chart-shows-how-mobile-has-crushed-pcs-2016-04-20

the market for desktop computers is declining compared to mobile devices, and yet nobody says that it is the past, much less. They simply cover a niche market, like all electronic devices. That it is not massive does not mean that it ceases to exist or that it is dead.

Very recently the newspaper was left for dead in paper format, but a short time later they published again in that format. The vinyls, analogue cassettes and other formats were re-sold online because there is a market that buys these products.

DOS is used in industrial devices, cash registers, musical equipment, and many other devices because it is simple and efficient.
Does it mean that you or other millenials say it does not exist because it is not recommended by "informatics gurus" to cease to exist? I think not.

specs?

>Labeling a group of people is bad.
says the country where everyone is lumped together with labels and no individualism

Or just run a PCEM instance and not have to worry about speed-specific programs and general incompatibilities with a new machine.

>Q: WE HEAR YOU’RE NOT THAT KEEN ON TECHNOLOGY...
>A: I don’t have an internet connection, or a mobile phone, or a TV signal. I can play [digital] music on the television, or on the computer I suppose, but I don’t. I am pretty much cut off from the 21st century. It’s like culturally I’m trying to establish a kind of sensory deprivation tank for myself, whereby I am receiving no modern signals whatsoever, because I’ve heard that after a while in a sensory deprivation tank you start to hallucinate and have all sorts of strange experiences, so I’m waiting for that to happen.

>Q: HOW DO YOU MANAGE WITHOUT THE INTERNET?
>A: It seems to work. I am pretty much cut off from the majority of the 21st century, but not much escapes me. You hear about everything, because you’re talking to people, you’re absorbing a lot of this information as if by osmosis, just through the pores of your skin. I have said that by embracing the internet in the way that it has done, which was kind of inevitable, society has embarked on a massive experiment without having any idea of the various ways in which those technologies will impact upon us socially, politically and psychologically. So I so think if there’s this huge experiment going on, it’s best that I remain outside the petri dish, as a kind of control, so that we’ll be able to see how badly the rest of you have mutated, by comparing you with me as a kind of baseline.
>>>interview with Alan Moore

Attached: alan-moore-computer.jpg (403x292, 14K)

not according to greatfire.org they don't.
they can't post here without pass though, since they can't load google captcha.

DOS also works on pre-botnet hardware.

but PCs are dieing, also I am not a millennial, I am 50 (genx) but I see the writing on the wall, you can emulate DOS if you want but I think you'll find it is impractical in the modern world and frankly only used for nostalgic purposes

Never forget!

Attached: Gary Kildall.jpg (245x284, 10K)