/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>always avoid AMD if gaming
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>i5 8600k/9600k- Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup for absolute max FPS
>i9 9900k - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Attached: 1496091565026.jpg (1100x1002, 540K)

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/rhpQJ8
walmart.com/ip/1019KH8GWL8D
pcpartpicker.com/list/yCTZYT
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/mYbyCb
corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4/index.asp#MemoryPR
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Would 500w be enough to run a build with a 1070(maybe ti) and maybe a 2600(x) cpu?

Oh boy it's a troll CPU section

RX 580 8GB or RX 590 8GB?

Price difference is €181 vs €225, mind you with the RX590 you get 3 games instead of 3 (DMC5,Division 2 and RE2).

I would buy those games anyway so it's a pretty sweet deal. The 1660 I could get for €235 but obviously without games.

Previous thread

>no 9400f on OP
cringe

If you want all 3 games, the 590. The Division/2 is fucking awful though, imo.
If you don't then 580 saves money, or 1660 gives you better efficiency.

Yes.

I guess the 1660 would give me better efficiency, but I have a freesync monitor, so there's that too.

Also I like division, though the end-game is kind of dull atm. Already sunk 40 hours into it on xbox, but all my friends are on PC.

if i want to max 1080p60 would a 1060 be sufficient?

How come there are so many brands of graphics cards? Are they all the same hardware? Some have more fans and leds it looks like, but the same motherboard is compatible with all of them right?

Attached: graphics cards.jpg (1176x944, 238K)

Depends on the game. You won't be maxing out all titles.

Convince me not to get a 2060 right now and instead wait for navi.

You'll do okay in most titles. A 1660/1660 TI would let you max out and continue to max out at 1080p60 for a while without that much of a price differential.

Ya if you find one used for like $100 1060 is pretty good.

If you are retarded enough to consider it, you're retarded enough to remain unconvinced.

same reason CPUs like the 7th gen i3s, 7400, 7500, 7600, 7600k all existed. Makes it harder to make an informed decision so you just give up and buy garbage.

>If you are retarded enough to consider it, you're retarded enough to remain unconvinced.
You are really not helping my dude

I'm a bit of a yuppie, bought a crappy car so I could spend money on a computer. This is a bit ridiculous though, I cant decide if I want to go all out or go for a mid range. My current pc is an i5-4670 with 8gb of ram and a dead video card, so I'm also considering just buying a ~$300 gpu.

Attached: pc part high.jpg (1193x889, 157K)

i missed any possible answer in the last thread

what's my best bet for upgrading from gtx 1060 to an amd card, planning to use xubuntu, i don't need anything top notch since i mainly play dota 2 on a 144hz monitor

im thinking i buy two 4gb cards & a fx-8 series
used ofc
I just want to play outward & ror2

Attached: screenFetch-2019-03-28_17-35-05.jpg (857x313, 60K)

There's no decent upgrade from a 1060 on the AMD side unless you want V56 which is inadvisable. Navi will show up in the fall

Is the Fury X still a decent video card for 1440p? I have a chance to get one for $150 but I don't know if that's a good price or not. I'm coming from a 290x.

Have a bit of left over stuff laying around, would it make sense to make a HTPC out of them? The idea is to also use it as media storage server although I'm not quite sure yet how I'll do that.
Should I go with a pentium instead?
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/rhpQJ8

All of them are based on the Reference Cards released by Nvidia and AMD themselves. Each company may make some tweaks, like different cooling setups, some clocking tweaks, or just adding crazy muhleds to rice it up. Or just a different design. None of them stray too terribly far from the Reference, though.

Hell no, RX580 often matches Fury X

You will have to pay $150 extra for electricity every year

My brother wants to buy this monitor, mainly for playing fortnite with his ps4, I don’t know if later he might use it with his Pc. He has a Ryzen 7 1700 or 1700x can’t remember, and a Radeon 4gb 580.

How good is this? And if shit, what is the better alternative?

walmart.com/ip/1019KH8GWL8D

for games the GPU is more important. whats your monitor?
a i7 of 8th gen might be sufficient for your endgame rig. consider a AiO to improve its OC performance, and high end rtx card now also have waterblocks, so if you want to OC into highend, its just a possible future expense

>walmart.com/ip/1019KH8GWL8D
I would tell him to stick to a 24" tops if he's doin 1080p. The bigger monitors get kind of grainy at that resolution.

>1700/x
>RX 580

Midrange settings on latest games, max on some of the older ones. Probably smart to keep it 1080p though.

pcpartpicker.com/list/yCTZYT

How's this for WoW/older games backlog?

nvidia or amd puts out a base gpu architecture that all the other companies build off of. usually aftermarket gpu's cool better, can reach higher clock speeds etc etc.

>Don't buy X when Z is just around the corner

That's a terrible sort of philosophy though, especially when it'll be a solid quarter or two before prices stabilize, and cards are actually in stock. Not to mention, the 5-series is already cheap enough as it is.

>Avoid AMD if you're new to PC building

Fixed

get a HDD of 1tb, maybe at the cost of the SSD
consider a cooler for the cpu later on
its fine afaik. the RX might be noisy and energy hungry but w/e, might as well tell you to buy a used GTX

is 1440p gaming worth it?

With a 1060 6GB (like anyone with sense three years ago) would it be worth stepping up to a 1660 Ti if I don't plan on going higher than 1080p?

Attached: 1537444630102.png (300x300, 34K)

theres also all them processor pick that the named gpus do
im almost certain they overclock only the good processor, leaving the weak ones for the blander versions

generically yes. you can notice that a 1440p monitor doesnt need as much aliasing as a 1080p, and thus offer much sharper images

AMD, Intel, and Nvida are the amount of "just werks" at this point

Yeah, if you can find a monitor you're happy with

No

Your paraphrase isn't anything close to what I was saying. Fall is pretty much the opposite of right around the corner. Anyway prices are usually MSRP right at launch and then climb after that

Fine although that SSD might be garbo. Standard recommendation at 500GB is MX500

you're beyond help

Get a better monitor.
Get dual channel memory.
Get 9700k or 2700X, not 9900k.
>$300 GPU
then get a cheaper GPU as well like a 2600/X.

No the 4Gb isnt' enough of VRAM just like 6gb isn't or won't be soon enough. Need 8Gb.

You should be asking if 1080p is worth it. 1080p is not. Looks like shit in lots of engines.

hey Jow Forums im building a new computer and wondering if i should spring for the 9900k

im gonna be doing some android development projects and i heard someone say before a few threads back i should just get the 9900k and not have to worry about not having enough power.

can you recommend a monitor? do you mean higher resolution? i thought the one i picked was good

i9 might just not have a option
i7 is not true, go for a i7 8th gen, its just sufficient for a lot of high end shit

>i9 might just not have a option
what does this mean?

>i7 is not true, go for a i7 8th gen, its just sufficient for a lot of high end shit
what does any of this mean?

>6gb isn't or won't be soon enough
Get a grip, retard. You're a bitch, scared of boogeymen in the shadows

i think it means
>Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

I ordered parts today and got a 1660 instead of 1660 ti by accident. Will I still be able to play games at the highest setting s or should I reorder?

If you wanted the Ti cancel and get the Ti.
You'll just end up with buyer's remorse later if you don't.

>just don't render shadows because not enough VRAM
weeooo weooo nvidiot alert.
Cucked into Stockholm syndrom by 3.5gb to the point that you'll happily accept 6Gb in 2019 for 1440p.

You can play most games on the highest settings with a 570. lmao. You just need a 590/1660 for a small handful.

Where do I ask for laptop recommendations? Any brands that I should stay away from?

already said fuck it and got a txt 2060

>$350 GPU to play games at 1080p@60
Glad I'll never be stupid enough for this.

1660 is the patrician's choice. it's the best value nvidia card right now. it has more overclocking headroom than the 1660 ti.

AFAIK there's no advantage to using an AMD card over an nvidia card with freesync , especially if it's not an HDR monitor.

Well shit 'll keep that one and send the other one back.

literally only shit opinions

good decision. get the best value right now as a placeholder for zen2 and navi.

based

>accept 6Gb in 2019 for 1440p.
No shit, because it's plenty. GTFO upselling jew

>so many poorfag tears

Actually caught Amazon before they even changed my order lol
>Glad I'll never be this cash money
FTFY

Some PC recommendations guys!

Attached: 96D10BA1-8FD6-47EA-B3BC-687AE155ECB6.jpg (1599x1194, 228K)

Does /pcbg/ know anything about microphones (non-headset) and speakers?
Need both but not familiar with either.

>anything less than 8GB
>[current year]

mic for what?
there's a dedicated audio thread for speakers.

Attached: kekkk.jpg (480x360, 23K)

alienware should fit you perfectly

Anything less than 16GB current year AHAHAH

you can do 90% of the same shit with just 8. but 8 is minimum these days cus it makes absolutely no fucking sense in getting less because you barely save any money at all and you risk running out of ram in some things. shit, even some games need 16GB these days.

Look at this COPE cuck!
16GB is the bare minimum by next month, 8GB might be fine right now, but it's going to be obsolete any day now

why the fuck are you arguing with me you fucking retarded nigger? im basically agreeing with you

also
>COPE
hurr durr suck more cock you faggot

Attached: Capture.jpg (200x45, 3K)

>system ram
I'm talking about VideoRAM you cuck! I have 128GB of RAM.

>weak_bait.gif

How come a 2070 is hardly recommended? Should I just splurge on a 2080 instead or just settle on a 2060? I’m gonna be running in 1440p@144

you dont want a 2060 for that res/hz

Can you pair a ryzen with a nvidia GPU? Will it give the same performance if I bought the Intel equivalent?

Attached: 1550813790005.png (1000x432, 165K)

SQT

I can’t decide between getting an i7-9700k or the Ryzen 7 2700x. All the waitfags say zen 2 is right around the corner, and it is, but I don’t think I wanna wait until July. Is there any reason not to get a 9700k other than it’s higher price? Should I really just wait for zen 2?

help me gee

Depends on your usage. You do mostly gaming go Intel otherwise ryzen

same situation, i dont have a pc at the moment, but everything right now seems to be a terrible buy, 2019 6gb vram cards wat? ryzen 2700x bunch of cores with no power behind them, 8700k/9700k less cores more power and price gouging
nvidia is powerful but fucks you over with vram and is overpriced amd underpowered heaps of vram reasonably priced but not worth buying
is this literally the worst time in history to build a pc

cucked out of hyperthreading for no reason other than intel being their usual kikes

i'd at least wait and see if zen2 get good bench results.

>2019 6gb vram cards wat?
classic novidya

>is this literally the worst time in history to build a pc
yeah feels so. i wish they would release radeon7 with 8GB VRAM.

at least RAM price is going down and miners stopped buying all the GPUs

Are there any decent 180mm PWM fans at all? the only good 180 according to reviews is the 3pin one that came with my case, but I'd rather something quieter with 4-pin control.

>Is there any reason not to get a 9700k other than it’s higher price?
Same number of threads as i7's released in 2011. Fucking wait for Zen2. Even if you're a 144fps gaymer and you end up going intel, retailers may be forced to drop prices by a bit.
It's really only fucked at the high end at the moment. 2017/18 was much worse for everyone in general with RAM and GPU prices out of wack. The mere fact that Ryzen exists when we had almost a decade of no CPU options from AMD makes this infinitely better than the FX days.

180 isnt a very popular size. pretty much only silverstone made those for their top/bottom airflow cases.

im lookin to spend 3k kangeroo dollars on a build, been waiting for 3 months for some cash to come in and now that i have it i just stare at my shopping card, endlessly swapping parts around trying to stay within that 3k but it all just seems like such a shit deal, i would have just gone for an average midrange 2k to 2.5k, was thinking of stepping the 2080 down to a 2070 but price to perfomance is terrible
my laptop died about 2 years ago and havnt been able to replace it and now that i finally can there is nothing out there that i want for their price points and vram, core count, core power
might just combine the 2700x and 2080 and just eat the shit sandwich, i cant go without a computer any longer, not owning a pc for me is like not owning a fridge or microwave, its hell

Just make sure you build around your monitor if you're mainly playing games. A 2700x and a 2080 is a pretty fucking powerful system, don't feel too bad if that's what you go with. There will probably be at least 2 more generations of AM4 CPUs released so if for some reason you aren't happy with the 2700x in a few years you may have an upgrade path if your mobo supports it. You could also do that if you went 9700k to 9900k in the future.

>always avoid AMD if gaming
OP confirmed for happy merchant.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/mYbyCb
144hz, 1440p, i couldnt justify spending $800-$900 on a monitor so i went with this one
monitor price excluded from the 3k soft limit
the last thing thing im undecided on is the motherboard, doubt i will do any major overclocking on anything so thats of no importance to me, and more expensive motherboards have more/better heatsinks built in but at a considerable price jump
should i stick with this one or would i end up wishing i got something else

that motherboard looks fine, user. the expensive heatsinks and stuff are only for people who are really serious about overclocking, which isn't recommended for most users

why does a 1080 founders edition run cooler when idle than a rx580 with gigabyte "gaming" heatsink? the gigabyte had 30% fan curve even idle too, it's the fastest mine would go to with the no fan logo lit up

41 vs 55C i don't get this

Looks pretty good, bro. I'd go for it.

because it's a different card you fucking imbecile

Idle temps aren't earth shatteringly important. 55C is a little warm at idle but not really a huge deal if it's fine when under load. Could be a faulty reading at the low end or poor thermal paste application/heatspread connection. Could also be that that heatsink just sucks.

thanks user, i will go with what i have got here then
heard a rumour that zen2 might drop on the 5th of next month, gonna wait to see if its true or not, i doubt it but it gives me time to think about the purchase in the mean time, but im pretty sure i will just this go with this

How do I uninstall spectre and meltdown patches?

Attached: i3_BF1_Ultra.png (1325x1086, 40K)

but nigger, it's a higher spec card
i looked around a lot of people with 580s report 50-55C idle though so it's nothing impressive but nothing terrible either

anyway i ended up selling it so i won't be using amd for a while so yeet

I know gaming performance isn't affected much but I'm not comfortable with having SSD performance cut in half for security patches that I don't need. I'm not a datacenter.

Attached: 950_Atto.png (1316x1634, 85K)

synthetic =/= real world

Nope, a ton of users with SSDs are already reporting noticeable lag. Look man I'd rather have a little bet less security as long as gaming performance isn't affected. Is there a way to fucking undo these stupid patches or not?

Attached: 1529191689567.webm (374x210, 344K)

Got this ram
corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
and this mobo
runnig it with a Ryzen 5 2600X
I asked a few people to double check my build and they said it was g2g, but now I can't get the ram up to 3200 in bios. Just wants to keep defaulting to 2133. Have it on an xmp profile and DRAM profile from the ram, and the config and voltages looks correct, but I could be missing something
haven't installed os yet so I can't check with windows memory but it's reading them both fine- I don't think that's the issue.
At my wits end, honestly. Wish I could take screenshots of the bios so someone could tell me how retarded I am to miss a basic setting to make this work.

Attached: 37lcTOP5.jpg (919x720, 59K)

AMD doesnt have this problem.

I just got a dell prebuilt with a Ryzen 1700x, RX580, 16GBDDR4 and an Omen 25" 144hz 1080p monitor for $300 off of Craigslist. Everything works.

Absolutely incredible deal.

AMD is also shit for gaming. Even with the patches intel is still like 30% faster than AMDiscount.

Attached: Naamloos-2.png (350x350, 138K)

Is optane a meme?

Are there any other neat things to consider in a build?
Eg. wifi card, BT

take pic with phone? ur sticks dont seem to be in the QVL. have you updated BIOS?

>AMD is also shit for gaming.
sure thing, buddy

depends for what usage. as boot drive ur better of with a good NVMe. For caching optane is decent.

Attached: 1533060766812.png (1336x1998, 91K)