/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1548848897884.jpg (2272x1704, 1.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs-uefi.txt:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant
github.com/venam/2bwm
ix.io/1ELZ
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel#Installing_the_sources
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

[~]$ sdcv linux
Found 1 items, similar to linux.
-->wikt-en-ALL-2018-05-15
-->Linux

n.
1 An open-source computer operating system kernel.
2 Any operating system that uses this kernel.

hello /fglt/ I am dualbooting ubuntu and W10 how could I make it boot GRUB (or greb or whatever the ubuntu dual boot screen looks like) where i can choose from there (I am currently spamming F11 on bootup to choose in the bios boot options)

Attached: 1488358746048.jpg (960x960, 122K)

what I mean is it by default boots w10 without asking

XUbuntus giving me slower internet speeds of 18Mbps while Windows 7 is getting me 80Mbps. I dont feel like fixing whatever is wrong with it so instead im going to try a different distro.

What version of Ubuntu should I go with next that does not have shit internet speeds?

>im going to try a different distro.
>What version of Ubuntu should I go with
That's not how it works. Try Fedora, plain ol' Debian, Gentoo or OpenSuse instead

$ echo "l'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as $(uname --kernel-name), is in fact, $(uname --operating-system)."
l'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Android.

(1/2)

So I've been trying to install LFS on an SD card. I can get as far as the graphical GRUB shell -- I installed GRUB on the SD card, rather than following the part of the workbook that said to install it on the host disk, but it still seems to work -- but when I hit enter to boot my LFS menu option, my computer hangs at a black screen. Just a black screen, no blinking cursor. It won't respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del, so I can only shut it down by holding down the power button. I've checked the contents of /var/log on the SD card to try to find out if the kernel is loading and crashing, but there are no logs in that directory at all. Can anyone help me?

I'm installing for a UEFI system, so I've been following the instructions in the UEFI hint at linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs-uefi.txt:

* Before the GRUB build, I installed the packages listed in the UEFI hint -- making sure, of course, to first install the prerequisite packages out of BLFS.

* Before the kernel build, I made sure the kernel config options listed in the UEFI hint were set to the values required.

* I installed GRUB using the instructions in the UEFI hint instead of the usual instructions.

(2/2)

Here's my /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5

insmod gzio
insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
set root=(hd2,gpt2)
# hd[x] is the drive of the LFS partion and gpt[y] is the partition

insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga
insmod font
if loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2; then
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2
#set gfxmode=auto
#insmod gfxterm
#set gfxpayload=keep
#terminal_output gfxterm
terminal_output console
fi

menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 4.20.12-lfs-8.4" {
linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.20.12-lfs-8.4 root=PARTUUID=5E9106C7-519F-4233-B1C3-E65EB8703371 ro
}
EOF

I didn't notice until just now that there's a stray word 'EOF' in there at the end for some reason. Oops, that's embarrassing.

Here's my /etc/fstab:

/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults 1 1
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot/efi vfat ro,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p3 /home ext4 defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc nosuid,noexec,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs nosuid,noexec,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /run tmpfs defaults 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs mode=0755,nosuid 0 0

shoe me cool network commands I know about ip, route and the other one that was for adding a gateway

traceroute Jow Forums.org

Also I should probably mention I'm pretty sure my root has to be (hd2,gpt2) because of what devices show up on the GRUB command line. I have (hd0), (hd1), (hd1,gpt1), (hd1,gpt2), (hd2), (hd2,gpt1), (hd2,gpt2), and (hd2,gpt3). Notice how hd2 is the only one with 3 partitions, which matches the number of partitions of mmcblk0.

5 * * *
wtf what's this misterious step in my traceroute to google.com?

netcat && nmap

thank you
fucking sick, thanks

I've been using arch for 2 or 3 years now, and have been considering the switch to gentoo. How bad are the compilation times? If I update my packages like once a week, am I gonna be spending my entire Sunday compiling new versions of things?

It means you have been wiretapped by the NSA

Not him but why would it be that easy to find out? I can accept the idea that they might assume most people wouldn't bother running a tool like traceroute, but that shouldn't be enough reason for them to make it that easy; if the NSA is incompetent enough to mistake obscurity for security, I think it's safe to say they're not doing their job.

That's because I was joking.
I'm pretty sure the stars just mean they have some kind of firewall that's aware of traceroute traffic or whatever, and they have it censored.

you're memeing the fuck out of me right?

It means that is a node that doesn't respond to traceroute packets, that's all, weird but doesn't necesarily means NSA, duckduckgo gave me waaay more *** than google

The NSA has nothing to do with security. They're a surveillance organization. Before you try to disagree, define "nation" first, because that's the context inside which the second letter of the acronym sits.

Surveillance is never about not being detected. It isn't about security. It's purely about trying to find dirt on the people you're watching. If being detectable causes them to react in a way that makes them seem dangerous, then that works too. It's literally about getting dirt, and you don't need security for that. Obscurity is their goal.

What terminal emulator has the best font rendering?

Is it possible to install wifi drovers on fedora without a wired connedtion? My wifi adapter is a TP Link AC1900.

Why is Links only showing text in grayscale for me?

So between steam proton engine adaptations dxvk and natives versions is there any game you can't run on Linux now a days?

there are plenty of games that don't work well in proton. however if you count qemu + windows virtualization, the list is extremely short.

Ahh well all the games I have tried work in some way or the other

Have you tried connecting with wpa_supplicant already?

What is WPA supplicant?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant

Hey Jow Forumsentlemen, I'm getting strange behavior in Thunar on a fresh Gentoo install
>No trash (despite gvfs being installed)
>Doesn't remember any preferences (resets between instances)
What am I missing?
I'm running it in dwm but xfce is installed and working.

Attached: 1553471905876.jpg (1024x762, 144K)

If I don't want a tiling window manager what should I use?

xfce or openbox

Openbox, or some other *Box

Or a full DE.

a stacking one

2bwm
github.com/venam/2bwm

wmutils

fluxbox

Also I should mention my system is an Intel NUC with 8 i7 cores, an AMD Radeon GPU, 32GB of RAM, and 2TB of NAND storage. Could this be a problem?

>Intel NUC with more ram than my desktop I need to step my game up

So question, what's a newish (8750h) laptop I can get with a decent battery that isn't aids tier with linux hardware wise. I get that I won't be doing the full FOSS experience but I really just want something modern even though I know I don't need it. Are clevo laptops good? what about Aero 15x, razer blade or msi gs65, Y530, thinkpad x1 post refresh (if it gets one?) etc etc.

Side question is there a way to prevent chrome kiosk mode shortcuts from working? as an example preventing F1 cause I've gotten rid of they key in xkb symbols but it does nothing.

i am not a tech wizard so basically the only use i have for that much ram is to play games with ridiculous numbers of mods loaded but as silly as that sounds it is still a thing i like to do so i figured it was worth the investment

what nuc? is it the hades canyon?

how do I add links and stuff in emacs' dashboard

I want to run ubuntu in a VM in Win10 for actual use, is this viable? 2700X/rx480/16GB 3200cl16
can i get full-speed opencl number crunching in a vm?

go for it senpai you'll probably get bottle necked somewhere.

Linux Mint Mate. How do I change the default application for a given file extension without right clicking a file of that extension and using the Open With dialog? It's tedious to do this with 10 different video formats, 5 different sound formats, 10 different image formats, etc. /usr/share/applications/defaults.list was recommended by googling but that file doesn't show my current changes forced by the Open With dialog. It's still showing Totem etc.

yeah it is. i got it off amazon preloaded with the ram and storage for $1.6k, never used one before but it seemed like a steal of a price for the specs i wanted.

Xterm's default font is so fucking hot.

I'm sure you can at the very minimum get close. It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to get an Ubuntu VM anyway, so give it a shot. Why not dual-boot, though?

Better do it the other way around senpai. Put Windows in the VM.

I only have one boot SSD and don't want to risk having ubuntu and win10 installed on the same drive, last time I did that, windows destroyed GRUB and itself and I had to format and reinstall

unfortunately i am of the nation's most oppressed class: gamers

Anyone know if you can change the shortcut keys to navigate tabs in firefox so I don't have to use Ctrl+Tab/Ctrl+Shift+Tab?

Ctrl pgup/down?

mouse4/mouse5?

I meant so I can have a custom shortcut.

>unfortunately i am of the nation's most oppressed class: gamers
not him but if you allocate a majority of your host system resources to the windows guest and do a gpu passthrough on it, you'll get reasonably close-to-native performance

I decided to make my home and root partitions bigger (sda4 and sda5), both of which are encrypted. I did it with gparted from a live usb, and it worked, but now when I boot in it's like the space isn't usable. I really like linux and want to use it more, but I'm lost on how to make this space usable in Fedora 29. I've tried lvextend /dev/dm-0 and stuff after googling around but none of it works for me, I guess I'm doing it wrong? Please help

Attached: 2019-03-28_22-58.png (573x356, 38K)

So I cleared the last hurdle of what was keeping me dependant on Windows and no longer need it do I celebrate or just be happy that this is the case?

What was the hurdle? Also unless you're a dogmatic freetard there's nothing wrong with having a partition with Windows on it.

Sometimes, it's a combo of Linux + driver issues. For instance, I can play many games, but Pac-Man Championship DX+ has been a no-go since I got a Ryzen 2400g.

The hurdle was the Witcher 3 gog version I didn't buy it for steam so I couldn't use proton but I figured out how to use dxvk to run it and run it really well thing is I'm sure I could use the same wine prefix to run other games too

if you turn this into a friendly unix/like thread you'd clean up the catalogue a whole lot ya know

I'm retarded. Fixed by going back into gparted and running check on both of them. It didn't show up before after extending the physical volumes. I wasted so much time on this, and somehow google never gave me this simple solution but rather a ton of different commands that didn't work

Welcome to the linux way. Now, in the future, you will never run into this problem again.

Played around with user's script a little bit. Takes a bit of finessing on the image to get it to convert correctly, but it works really well on pixel art so long as you scale it properly.

no idea why you wrote this as a html form tho m8

ix.io/1ELZ

I want to customize my Kubuntu startup so every time it boots, the second virtual desk opens a web browser, terminal, and resource monitor in the format of pic related. I want everything to be automatically sized to fit this template upon startup, and the command for resource monitor should start automatically. How would I go about doing this?
>inb4 emacs
no
Also what do you guys think, does the setup look good or should i change browser to right and terminals to left?

Attached: Screenshot_20190328_213639.png (1600x900, 329K)

whats that program called, where it has a little bar appear on the screen where you can type programs to launch them

dmenu

thanks lad, i was trying to remember what it was called for a solid 2 days
kept thinking "dbus... d... something"

Does anyone have any experience with display managers and multi-monitor setups?
I'm not looking to do anything crazy, just have the login stuff on the left monitor and then have the wallpaper continue on to the right monitor. SDDM just mirrors the screen, does LightDM have better multi-monitor support?

Hello /fglt/. I'm trying to get OBS to work with NVENC support on Debian Sjd. I've tried multiple methods, and so far the one that's gotten me furthest (so that the program at least starts) is the Flatpak OBS release.

However, when I try to actually start streaming with NVENC's hardware encoding, I get this error in terminal

[h264_nvenc @ 0x55f6a6990c40] Cannot init CUDA
warning: [NVENC encoder: 'simple_h264_stream'] Failed to open NVENC codec: Unknown error occurred
warning: Stream output type 'rtmp_output' failed to start!

Cannot initialize CUDA from inside the flatpak apparently (?) despite the flatpak shipping with its own version of the 410 nvidia driver. Any ideas or suggestions on how I could get it to work? And yes, the propietary nvidia-driver is all working well on my end, I can play any games without issue, it's just OBS and NVENC being a pain in the ass right now. I can stream with the software encoder, but I'd rather use hardware encoding obviously.

Attached: 2019-03-28-233052_1920x1080_scrot.png (1910x173, 57K)

lightdm puts the login on one screen and clones the wallpaper by default, but can be specially set up for multihead. I don't know if it can do exactly what you want.

Literally just have two images that make up one larger image, side by side. If Lightdm supports it I can probably figure it out from there, thanks for the confirmation.

yeah good idea, lets fill this thread with itoddlers and cucklicense advocates

How do I broadcast wifi from my laptop (ethernet) to my phone? wifi-direct?

How lightweight is MATE as a DE ? Compared to Xfce or Gnome ?
I use a Elementary on a toaster and it's kinda slow

How can I select/copy them?

Attached: 2019-03-29-100259_1053x1057_scrot.png (1053x1057, 42K)

iirc start it with -p or -print, the click on the character

any ideas? Doesn't even have to be on the second virtual desktop, it can be on the first

Just installed gentoo and got i3 working
Trying to use feh, but I keep getting No Imlib2 loader for that file format whether I try to open a jpg or png
I’ve tried a bunch of solutions from google but no dice. Any ideas?

Run MATE on my x200, which could be called a toaster. It's bretty gud, no complaints from me.

Why are these fglt threads so slow, empty and useless? Because they are "friendly"?

Rude

Is there a more updated version of this image?

Attached: 1456608712056[1].jpg (2170x1070, 519K)

Thinking of going back into the Linux world. It's been about 3 years since I last used my Archbox. Back then Wayland was on its way real quick as a replacment for X. How did this progress?
I'm planning on using it for daily browsing and playing some video games. Should I still be using xorg, or should I migrate to something better? I'll be using SteamStream mostly, but also DXVK

Got this far and now I'm stuck
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel#Installing_the_sources
emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
What exactly did I do wrong?

Attached: install gentoo.png (1920x1152, 280K)

scroll up to see the error message
shift + page up

So the C compiler doesn't work?

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-03-29 11-31-26.png (1920x1152, 258K)

Asking again on this thread. What music player for linux can I use to listen and then create smart playlist to later sync with my phone?

having an invalid flag in your CFLAGS can cause that
try compiling something manually
>echo 'int main(){}' > test.c
>gcc $(source /etc/portage/make.conf; echo $CFLAGS) test.c

gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-02'
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-march-bdver1'
Would this have anything to do with running in a virtual machine over the course of several days?

the flags should be -O2 (with O, not zero) and -march=bdver1

I may have misread or mistyped the handbook. Can I go back and change these

you can fix them in your make.conf and retry the emerge in

It can't find the file. Is this something I've since moved or am I looking in the wrong place?

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-03-29 11-56-38.png (1920x1152, 42K)

your bash prompt in says you're in the chroot, so remove /mnt/gentoo from the path

Thank you, this seems to be progressing although taking a long time. I'll wait it out and hopefully can move on to next step without issues.

I'm running i3, and nautilus won't give permission to mount my second internal hard drive any more ("Unable to access location: not authorised to perform operation.")
External hard drives are no problem. I have udisks2 and udiskie, but trying to mount in the terminal leads to an "unhandled device" error.
When I was using Gnome, nautilus had a pop up where I had to enter the password to mount the internal drive, but I don't think the popup itself is the issue, considering that the error message is also a popup. Does anyone know what the issue is? Why would i3 change how a file manager works?