How to Buy a Good Thinkpad Online

>Almost all used Thinkpads online have very poor ratings.

How do I buy a used one online and best know it's going to show up with nothing wrong while being able to last 10+ years?

Also, pros and cons of both the T420s and T430s?

Is an i7 much better than an i5? Also, is, say, a 2.4 GHz i7 faster than a 2.9 GHz i5?

Attached: T430s Woo.jpg (4666x4000, 3.34M)

>>/70328045/

Bump

shit thread for a shit retard

the dual core i7s are pointless, quad core is good if you find a good price though

I JUST bought a 420s, so far so good. Great keyboard and with your OS optimized you dont even relize its old. The keyboard on the 420s is also the old keyboard which I personally like better, but it obviously gives it some age. The i7 isnt really worth it but you want high ram. Also kep in mind that the RAM can be installed afterward, for usually cheaper if you buy seperate.

So in short, if I were you get the most barebones,(4gb ram, no hardrive battery) and get those seperate. Cheaper and you can get exactly what you want.

So it's the cores that matter, not the GHz or generation? What determines how fast a CPU is?

All of those things matter, but the dual core i7s were essentially the same as the dual core i5s except for the larger cache, which hardly affected performance.

So, look for a quad core i7 or quad core i5?

Yeah basically.

Look for one with a good mobo, screen, and chassis. All the rest can be replaced with ease.

Obviously, as parts are missing the cost should go down.

DESU I would look for one without a battery so you don't get some startafire knockoff battery.

Just bought a T430 without HDD/battery for $65.

>good mobo, screen, and chassis.
How do you tell online which are good and bad? Sorry for my ignorance.

>Just bought a T430 without HDD/battery for $65.
Woah, where from?

Ebay.

The deals are there if you're willing to work at it.

Look at the pictures and see. If the seller says that it's the laptop pictured and they send you another one ebay will side with you over them.

How much does a decent 100-250 GB HD/SDD cost? Is $65 routine for such a T430?

People ITT: what should someone pay average and maximum for a T420s and T430s?

Not him but depends on the price.

I bought 3 differen t420's it was really a learning experience. Costed me around 150-200$
Buying them can be a bit like lottery. While I learned a lot I think I would be much happy to buy grade-a refurbished one from newegg, for about +100$ more.
Its not worth the trouble, at least for me.

Saw a T440p going for 150 burgerbucks. wat do lads?

same thing to do with all the ''too good to be true deals''
check whether the guy is really an idiot or he is trying to fuck over those who are trying to fuck him over.

Who is selling for example? Boomer ebay account that is telling its his grandsons old shit? Or is it some online shop with 5000+ sales?

Has a ton of stars on ebay. It's fully decked out. Ram, CPU, etc... Yeah, it's not a good idea.

what are some red flags when buying one in eBay?

Meh, don't let me stop you, maybe it was a mistake, maybe they confused model numbers.

and sometimes boomers tend to forget half of the palmrest is gone and cpu is not working. As with many ebay laptopts it is a gamble, if you are willing to take.

I'll probably just buy the bare metal of the laptop and fill it out myself. Probably cheaper.

I have an i7 T430s which has first-gen Thunderbolt, it's pretty kino. I picked up a cheap enclosure from Craigslist and runs tits fast. Some people even use it for eGPU

>Is an i7 much better than an i5? Also, is, say, a 2.4 GHz i7 faster than a 2.9 GHz i5?
Lurk more please.

I put a 250GB mSATA drive in it that cost $70.

I'm not sure if it's a normal price. I have ~$300 in it all up now with a battery, ssd, memory.