Why haven't you upgraded to 10G?

Attached: 1537676796159.png (851x567, 358K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds#Average_connection_speeds
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5GBASE-T_and_5GBASE-T.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157834
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

10g switches are stupid expensive

I generally just don't do enough network throughput to require it.
Yay, about once a week a big file I transfer will take less time. Great.

Lmao no. I got a 3750G for $90

16 port 10 GbE switches are like $500 now.

Because I use Fiber. Enjoy your EMI, packet losses, jitters, bulky cabling, and insufficient bandwidth, you stupid fucking faggot

Attached: 1454534283865.png (985x1272, 1.2M)

99% of United States Internet Service barely touches 10mbit. something like 10gbit might be useful for a LAN but little else unless you live in a 1st world country like South Korea or Japan.

Attached: TheHUGEWang1988BNCNIC.jpg (430x366, 14K)

You don't need a switch though, just a direct line to your NAS. Unless you have multiple ones, but then you wouldn't be worrying about things like cost.

Why are you so hostile? Did someone fuck you in the ass today?

No where realistically has consumer based 10G yet. Most you'll get is 1Gb/s maybe a tad higher. 10Gb cards are just a fucking waste of money to most consumers atm

>inb4 futureproofing
You can wait like 2 years and they will be far cheaper

This. US is a third world country.

no, but i wish that happened ;~;

Attached: 1550801510657.jpg (2500x1872, 249K)

>Because I use Fiber
I use Fiber too you little fucker and I wouldn't mind having 10g.

Attached: 1543964914822.png (641x496, 266K)

>having two network wires coming out of your computer
yikes.

Imagine being this autistic thinking a system having 2 Ethernet cables is a bad thing

>what are ground loops

Nothing for you to worry about.

>green PCB
Ewwww...

My router-switch is 100mb/s and I don't do anything network tasking.

RENT FREE
E
N
T

F
R
E
E

>You can wait like 2 years and they will be far cheaper
my motherboard had it since 2017, switches are still expensive

reeee

but I did, years ago. Its going to be time to upgrade to 100G soon.

Attached: IMG_20190328_231057320.jpg (4000x3000, 1.63M)

>wasting money on a $500 motherboard
yikes

and my 12 port gigabit switch was $30

This shit needs new cables. The real thing to look forward to is the upcoming silent, "free" upgrade to 2.5-5 Gbps on new motherboards and switches.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds#Average_connection_speeds

rent free.

my old pc had 2 ethernet ports on the motherboard and i just bridged connections
pretty handy for secondary pc

How's that going to happen?

>no metric whatsoever for how they determined "average" speed
They probably used the FCC's rules and definitions so they could just straight up lie

After 802.11ax routers with 10GbaseT ports available for less than $200

>How's that going to happen?
See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5GBASE-T_and_5GBASE-T. Manufacturers will just switch over to this.

MURICAS BTFO!

Attached: basedandredpiled.gif (367x219, 523K)

Average speed for US is now ~100 Mbps as of December 2018.

Why don't they just go to 10gbe, this is dumb and I don't like it

But I have. PCIe adapters are like 70 yuro.
I don't have other 10GbE equipment though, but the advanced traffic management is worth it when you play MMOs.

>I don't have other 10GbE equipment though, but the advanced traffic management is worth it when you play MMOs.
>"yeah I just convert all my youtube rips to flac, it increases the quality"

Attached: 1551818749783.jpg (3160x3160, 1.63M)

RTFW.

>stupid expansive switch
>stupid expansive cables
>120MB/s is close to what a HDD handles anyways

I'm not going to pay for 10gbit just so my NAS transfers can go at 170MB/s peak instead of 120MB/s.

I'll upgrade when I get it for free. Which at this pace, is far away. Even my oldest, single core 1.6ghz thinkpad had gigabit as standard. Makes you think.

There's some serious retard shit going on in this thread.

Attached: mfw.jpg (462x462, 33K)

>not getting 2 for every device and setting up a mad token ring network

are you brain-damaged?

God I wish that were me.

Bought 2 mellanox cards and cable for ~$60 on ebay a couple years ago. Been doing well for point to point between my desktop and server.

>Mellanox Technologies Ltd. is an Israeli
RIP

>10g
5g already cause cancer
why do i fucking need 2x times more the cancer?

Attached: new-5g-technology-everywhere.jpg (1146x772, 129K)

the "g" stands for gigabit and not for the bcn technology. They are 2 different things

Things like you deserve to die in agony.

Hm, you seem to be unfamiliar with 10GbE ethernet features.

Why? Useless for home use. Just like getting a walk in freezer when you live alone

Fuck you, I should've made this brainlet post.
No inexpensive UTP cards until now. I don't really want fiber at home. Also there are still no cheap 10G switches at least with three ports and two 10G ports.

>$500
ASRock have been offering boards with 10Gb Aquantia NICs in the $250 range for several years now.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157834

10gbe not 100mb you absolute retard

>>His hard drives are only 120MB/'s
Oh user if you c ant afford solid state then at least get those spinning rust running in raid

Fucking whoosh

>quality 10GbE switch that is fully managable and can do line rate on several ports costs a fortune
>it's ok, there's a shit tier knock off you can get cheap

Yep. But poor gags gotta justify being poor somehow

Mikrotik 4 port 10GBe switch is 180 euro. Sfp+ only. Good luck getting cheap or even value 10gbe rj45 switches

Good luck getting decent audio over your cheap switch

Attached: Capture.png (648x332, 107K)

i have a 15 Mbit link

I don't have a use-case for it.

>N-gigabit

Just look at the switches available, it's a fucking mess. FIVE different port types on a 10-port switch?

Attached: fuck this.png (1368x764, 96K)

For point-to-point connection Infiniband cards (used ones) are much better.

Attached: 1246367987403.jpg (350x380, 35K)

This is basically the limiting factor. Unless you routinely move gigabytes of data around, either in multiple streams or between fast SSDs, you can't utilize that bandwidth in any home scenarios.

i have no use for it. neither my internet nor hard drives in my home network will go at that speed
besides i'd have to buy two of these plus two switches and 10G stuff is still stupidly expensive

Attached: 5205106+_e4c6a202efb6bb4b48e1bff276abbb43.png (390x470, 6K)

>2019
>still not running 100G
what's your excuse?

Attached: AOC-S100G-m2C.png (323x186, 22K)

>audiophile switch
Wat?

based retard

huh, how much cpu does it use at 10g?

~110-120MB/s is way more than enough to watch anime from a NAS

Attached: -Nisekoi 13-2016-09-20_01-38-04error497.png (1280x738, 648K)

Transferring games to my SSD array maxes out 1Gbps, tho.

>Wire NAS direct to PC
>NAS is now actually just DAS

Big thinks

>model snh-10G
>max speed 1G
>audiophile

Attached: 455C5A67-F118-4E52-9053-CEC6BF3B29DE.jpg (1024x768, 167K)

This

t. Merican

>average
It's the mean. Try using the median instead and see what happens, or % above 5Mbps.

Attached: 1509289184946.png (547x433, 16K)

I can get 10Gbps for about €60 but I'd need a router that can handle it, a mobo that can handle it, and finally an SSD that can handle it. Upgrading to the latter soon, but the rest are needlessly expensive right now.

>whoosh
go back

>faster internet automatically adds new features.

my NAS is as empty as my life, I don't need the bandwidth

i'll talk to you when they START full scale roll out of 1GbE

dumb autogyno poster

>RJ45
ugh

fuck off zoomer, it was the second-cheapest TR4 board at the time

some of us work from home (and have families) and want the extra bandwidth for pounding on a NAS from multiple pcs

absolute wank, buy a pack of ferrites from a ham radio store for a fraction of the price and stick them on your own cables

most cheap switches have shitty isolation and filtering so they are pretty noisy but nowhere near as bad as cheap chinkshit switchmode power supplies

Is 10gb worth investing in for display exporting over ssh? Trying to decide if I want to do hard KVM switching or networked KVM.

You can get 5-port SFT+ 10Gig (not RJ25) MikroTik switches for $120 and used Mellanox cards are really cheap. It's an outgoing/outdated standard but a really cheap way to get into 10Gig networking.

Mellanox is NVidia now, they bought them.

don't know what resolutions you're looking at but gigabit should be fine. but you know your use-case and resolution better than me, just try and see if you need higher speeds or not. generally, though, KVM equipment tends to be a tad overpriced so I'd avoid unless you really need it.

There's no reason we can't have $10/mo Gigabit fiber to every home. For some reason half the people in this country insist on taking it up the ass from the rich.

>no Linux driver

Whats the point? My internet is slow (I use 3/4g for home), I dont hoard files and the files that I do have are on my hdd which is connected to my pc with sata 3, 6gbps is plenty for me

Can you even buy wired network hardware that's not 1gbe?

I'm on 40gigE and paid less than your 10gigE high latency meme nics. Why would i downgrade?

LMFAO... rebranded netgear

>half the people in this country insist on taking it up the ass from the rich
It's well more than half, amigo. Humans are naturally subservient to those who (at least appear to) have power over them.

See
>liberals who viciously support """common sense""" gun control, even though gun control has been proven to not work, for literally decades
>conservatives who viciously defend """trickle down""" economics, even though trick down economics have been proven to not work, for literally decades

The vast, vast majority of Americans follow into at least one of these two groups. Humans have a natural affinity for being cuckolds, giving up their rights, and letting themselves be trampled on. Fuck the public. They don't deserve it.

>muh ultra fast intrawebs
>ISPs speed throttle you
>have to pay for the VPN jews
>most VPNs are blocked by 4chin
>if you fell for the private tracker meme you have to pay for the seedbox jews as well, gotta keep a high ratio or get kicked out of le sekrit klub :^)
>after all of that all alphabet organizations and Chicoms still can snoop inside your machine

I got a 50 port 10g Cisco switch from a surplus store for $10

I can't saturate a 1G link now, why would I go 10G? The only thing I'm running with 10G is my Dell/Compellent SAN at work.

The rest of my network is 100M

My nas was faster than 1g 14 years ago. I've wanted 10G over twisted pair for over a decade.
Apparently no one else does.
inb4 some stupid nigger that doesn't understand what LAGs do.

It's fucking expensive

No real need, DESU. The only use case I can see for 10G at home is if you're moving 4k video from a NAS to a workstation on the regular, which I'm not.